steelers1080

Official 2017 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

901 posts in this topic

I could definitely see them resigning him past when they should.

This is my "fear" with them about Timmons.  He is clearly declining.  Doesn't mean he totally sucks, but he needs to take a pretty significant discount if he wants to remain on the team.

Well isn't that ironic.  If you put serious pressure on Tom Brady they become slightly less incredible.  If only a certain coaching staff knew about this.  

By the way I am even remotely thinking that the Steelers would have done much better.  Julio Jones would have had 200 yards by halftime.

Yeah Atlanta is devising a scheme that works against Brady.  The scheme that the Steelers devised never gave them a shot.

1 person likes this

I'm done with the NFL. See yinz in five years, maybe.

Edited by pecorino

Well, that sucked.  Not even that surprising somehow.  I dislike the Pats greatly, but they are pretty incredible.

Officially time to focus on next year!  First order of business, lock down playoff home field advantage!

38 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Well, that sucked.  Not even that surprising somehow.  I dislike the Pats greatly, but they are pretty incredible.

Officially time to focus on next year!  First order of business, lock down playoff home field advantage!

Agreed.   It would nice if an AFC East team would help out, just for once.

13 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Agreed.   It would nice if an AFC East team would help out, just for once.

Agreed, agreed.

It would also be nice if we didn't #### the bed vs teams we're supposed to roll.  Would make HFA a bit easier to attain.

14 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

Brady is a Montana level QB, no doubt.  Belechick (I hate to say), is the best coach - in terms of getting Ws - of all time.  He will continue to be a winning coach when Brady is being inducted because he is so fluid and can change an attack or counter attack, according to the players he has available, at any point.  Prep stage, mid-1st quarter, end of game, special teams. . .  To be that smart and also to arrange the talent smart enough to adapt with his schemes. . . Belechick doesn't assemble a team, he drafts an army.  Damn, I'm jealous.  Tomlin's stubbornness is my biggest issue with him.  The worst part is, I have no recommendations on who to replace him with.  This run we have had with Ben has been wonderful, and we could have been a dynasty if we weren't overshadowed by the most dominant dynasty ever during that timeframe.  Can't stand those bastards.  ETA - Except for Gronk.  How can you not like that guy?

Edited by Cookiemonster
2 people like this

7 hours ago, Cookiemonster said:

Brady is a Montana level QB, no doubt.  Belechick (I hate to say), is the best coach - in terms of getting Ws - of all time.  He will continue to be a winning coach when Brady is being inducted because he is so fluid and can change an attack or counter attack, according to the players he has available, at any point.  Prep stage, mid-1st quarter, end of game, special teams. . .  To be that smart and also to arrange the talent smart enough to adapt with his schemes. . . Belechick doesn't assemble a team, he drafts an army.  Damn, I'm jealous.  Tomlin's stubbornness is my biggest issue with him.  The worst part is, I have no recommendations on who to replace him with.  This run we have had with Ben has been wonderful, and we could have been a dynasty if we weren't overshadowed by the most dominant dynasty ever during that timeframe.  Can't stand those bastards.  ETA - Except for Gronk.  How can you not like that guy?

I just don't understand why Steelers fans would even considering replacing Tomlin.  He's been in the league 10 years, never had a losing season, averages 10+ wins a year,  been to 2 SBs and 3 AFC Championships,  has made the playoffs 7 times in 10 years and has a winning record in the post season.  This current team has advanced further each of the last 3 seasons and looks to be one of the favorites in AFC again next season.  

I realize he is not Bill Belechick but if that is the standard that you are grading head coaches by you're going to be hard pressed to find one.  Tomlin isn't perfect but he is among the best in the NFL right now.  He just isn't in Belichick's class but then no one else is.

4 people like this

3 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I just don't understand why Steelers fans would even considering replacing Tomlin. 

tl;dr: Some people aren't happy having nice things.

Long version:  New year, same refrain.  It happened under Cowher too (and some folks back them would say "Well, I'd fire him and hire Norm Chow!" when asked who they'd replace him with :loco:).  There's a small, vocal part of the Steelers fan demo that views any year where a SB isn't won as "a complete failure."  If Tomlin were fired tomorrow he'd have a job by the end of the week if he wanted it. 

Having extended success in the free agency era of the NFL is much more difficult than many fans realize, yet here we are 24 seasons after its inception, and the Steelers have been successful, by most any measure, for its entirety.  They've won nearly 67% of their regular season games (and you can't win a SB if you don't make the playoffs....something else some fans seem to have trouble remembering), have had only 3 losing seasons, have made 9 Conference Championship appearances with 4 wins, and the 2 Lombardis. 

Over that same time period the only teams you could definitively put ahead of Pittsburgh as far as "sustained success" goes would be New England and probably Denver.  The Packers are about on par.  The Cowboys had that great 4 year run at the beginning of the FA Era, but have stunk (generally speaking) since.  The Giants have a couple rings during the same period, and have typically been competitive, but have had some real dog seasons mixed in throughout the era.  Outside those teams? No one else is that close for sustained success for the past 25 years. 

Steelers are, at worst, a top 5 overall team for the last two and half decades, even with FA allowing top players to move on frequently.  A convincing argument for top 3 can probably be made too.   It sucks that they can't beat New England.  It sucks that Tomlin (and Cowher before him) were both stubborn and had foibles that probably cost the Steelers a couple more shots at SBs.  Doesn't change the fact that probably 25 or 26 other teams would swap places with Pittsburgh in a heartbeat.

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
3 people like this

I think there's a couple knocks on Tomlin that I'm not sure should be on him, but people blame him nonetheless. 

• Piss poor play calling at times (probably Haley or Ben's fault), needing 3rd and 1 and throwing a 40 yard pass that falls incomplete 80% of the time.  Or needing to run out the clock and milk a lead, and throwing incomplete passes. Or holding on to a slim lead and switch into prevent defense, instead of a pressure-based defense that was working great all game.  If it's working, KEEP DOING IT. Pretty frustrating.  But, that's usually on the coordinators, not head coach.
  • Poor time management.  Either through poorly timed timeouts, or by wasting time when we need to hurry, or not using enough time when trying to hold a lead.
  • Losing to teams we shouldn't.  Every year we lose 1-4 games to teams that are much less talented.  Games against teams that had many more losses than wins, who we're supposed to roll and we end up losing.
  • Losing to the Ravens almost all the time.  We beat them this year on a last second play, but we were a much more talented team (IMO).  Last year we lost to Ryan Mallet.  MALLET.  It seems like we're not prepared for the other teams, and they have a much better game plan than us.
  • Inability to change strategy mid-game.  I understand you use the week prior to put a game plan into place.  If that game plan is clearly not working, you need to be able to adjust. OR, if that team has shown a consistent ability to beat that plan in the past, maybe make a new plan.  If your personnel is only capable of running one type of defense, maybe you need different personnel.
  • Holding on to players past their prime. Not so much now, but we held on to Super Bowl Champs longer than we should have and that probably cost us 1-3 years of contention/growth.  Most Superbowl teams are guilty of this.
  • Taking risks when they're not necessary.  I love when they go for 2, but I also understand gambling. It makes you want to double down when you fail. Missing 4-5 2-point tries in 1 game is pretty ridiculous.  After 2, stop.
  • Doesn't command enough respect from the team.  Most of the team clearly respects the hell out of Tomlin, but some of the players clearly haven't bought in enough. When AB shot that FB video, there were other players not paying attention to what Tomlin, then Ben, were saying.  They were off doing whatever.  I can't imagine that happening in Bill's locker room.  Every Patriot has bought what he's selling.  It's one of the reasons they have success, even when Brady goes down.  They all respect the hell out of him, and follow his system, or get sent packing.  People often talk about how when one team insults the Steelers or the Terrible Towel they get fired up and try harder.  It seems like the Pats don't need to be fired up, they already give 100% on every play.

That said, I think Tomlin is clearly a top 5 coach in the league.  The only person I'd replace him with is Bill Belichick. The only reason I wouldn't replace him with Jim Harbaugh is because he's an a$$hole who would tear the team apart.  I do think he'd get them the #1 seed though.

I'd be willing to bet that the Steelers lose at least 1 game to the Ravens next year and lose to 2 teams with losing records.

2 people like this

Yeah Tomlin certainly has his faults but then all coaches do, even BB.   In fact, BB was very fortunate that Atlanta's coaching staff made some dreadful mistakes in the 2nd half.

3 people like this

5 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Yeah Tomlin certainly has his faults but then all coaches do, even BB.   In fact, BB was very fortunate that Atlanta's coaching staff made some dreadful mistakes in the 2nd half.

Belly-chick has had his last two Lombardi's handed to him because opposing coaches refused to, no pun intended, hand off the ball.  The Pats pulled it out and deserved to win....but Atlanta choked BIG time, as Seattle did to a lesser degree in '14.

And that's all I'm going to say about the Patriots SB win. 

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
1 person likes this

Tomlin is a bottom 5 coach without Ben.

History tells us there is not a lot of top coaches without a top QB.  B.B. might be a top 20 coach without Brady, were gonna find out about the latter sooner unfortunately.  In the meantime Tomlin will have ruined Ben's career.  And 3-5 years after Ben retires Tomlin will finally get fired from the Steelers.  At least I hope.

15 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I just don't understand why Steelers fans would even considering replacing Tomlin.  He's been in the league 10 years, never had a losing season, averages 10+ wins a year,  been to 2 SBs and 3 AFC Championships,  has made the playoffs 7 times in 10 years and has a winning record in the post season.  This current team has advanced further each of the last 3 seasons and looks to be one of the favorites in AFC again next season.  

I realize he is not Bill Belechick but if that is the standard that you are grading head coaches by you're going to be hard pressed to find one.  Tomlin isn't perfect but he is among the best in the NFL right now.  He just isn't in Belichick's class but then no one else is.

I agree that they should keep Tomlin, but let's remember that he inherited a great team (one that was a year removed from winning the Super Bowl).  His Super Bowl win was basically with Cowher's team.  He averages 10 wins a season, which is pretty hard NOT to do when you have a QB most agree is destined for the Hall of Fame.  Tomlin is a good coach, but I think just about any good coach could have done really well in the late 00s in Pittsburgh while inheriting a HOF QB and top D. 

Edited by Ghost Rider

7 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

I agree that they should keep Tomlin, but let's remember that he inherited a great team (one that was a year removed from winning the Super Bowl).  His Super Bowl win was basically with Cowher's team.  He averages 10 wins a season, which is pretty hard NOT to do when you have a QB most agree is destined for the Hall of Fame.  Tomlin is a good coach, but I think just about any good coach could have done really well in the late 00s in Pittsburgh while inheriting a HOF QB and top D. 

Maybe and I don't disagree that Tomlin is a good coach and possibly not more.  But Cowher could only muster 8-8 with that team one year removed from the Super Bowl.   And that was 10 years ago. Aside from James Harrison and Ben Roethlisberger, those players are long gone.  This is and has been Tomlin's team for quite some time.

Justin Gilbert released. Xavier Grimble signed to a 1-year deal.  He'll compete for a spot in training camp, but I could see him being cut if they draft a TE and Green is healthy.  If they cut Green I think it's a $3.5 million dollar cap hit.  They'd only do that if they're very unsure about his health moving forward AND get a TE in the first 3 rounds of this year's draft.

23 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Justin Gilbert released. Xavier Grimble signed to a 1-year deal.  He'll compete for a spot in training camp, but I could see him being cut if they draft a TE and Green is healthy.  If they cut Green I think it's a $3.5 million dollar cap hit.  They'd only do that if they're very unsure about his health moving forward AND get a TE in the first 3 rounds of this year's draft.

I like the decision to bring back Grimble.  He's got the size you like and played well at times.  Still a project but definitely showed potential.

Apparently the Steelers were able to cut Gilbert without any money or cap concerns though it will still cost them a 6th round pick.   There is some speculation they could bring Gilbert back in after free agency begins and let him compete for a roster spot.

Speaking of draft picks I read the Steelers will likely get a 5th round compensatory pick for Kelvin Beachum so basically the lost pick associated with Gilbert is a wash.

20 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Speaking of draft picks I read the Steelers will likely get a 5th round compensatory pick for Kelvin Beachum so basically the lost pick associated with Gilbert is a wash.

The Gilbert pick is a 2018 6th, so we'd still have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7 this year.

54 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

The Gilbert pick is a 2018 6th, so we'd still have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7 this year.

Ahh.  Thanks for the correction

Could/should the Steelers try and swoop in and steal Junior Galette?  He's been injured the past 2 seasons, and has questions about his character, but he was a pass rushing machine.  It would be a pretty big gamble.

13 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Could/should the Steelers try and swoop in and steal Junior Galette?  He's been injured the past 2 seasons, and has questions about his character, but he was a pass rushing machine.  It would be a pretty big gamble.

per rotoworld, he is under contract with Washington for 2017

The Redskins already have OLB Junior Galette under contract for 2017.
Galette's one-year contract tolled after he spent all last season on the NFI list. There was some confusion after Washington tweaked his deal last week. Galette hasn't played since 2014 but gives the Redskins another pass rusher when healthy. He's expected to be ready for the start of 2017. Feb 4 - 5:10 PM

Oh well.

In other news, Kelvin Beachum's contract wasn't picked up by the Jags.  They could resign him before he hits FA for less money, but if he decides to test FA (which he should do since they didn't show faith in him) I think the Steelers should dip their toe in the waters.  He was a great starting LT for us and I think would be an upgrade at the position.

1 person likes this

Steelers to let Timmons test Free Agency.  Colbert stated that it would be nice to have him back and that he could fit into their plans, but it would have to be at the right price. I could see Timmons giving the Steelers a home town discount, but it's not a guarantee.  

Steelers resign Chickillo to 1-year deal.  Allegedly trying to lock up Villanueva in a long-term deal.  Resigned Steven Johnson, a special teams player. 

Steelers signed Karlos Williams to a reserve/futures contract.  Looks like they won't cut him loose after his troubles.  Could be a great 1-2 punch with Leveon if he can stay on the field. Was a TD machine in Buffalo.

Steelers trying to sign Landry Jones. View him as better than 80% of the other backups in the league.  Really hope they don't overpay him.

Steelers allegedly showing interest in Cordarelle Patterson. View him as a decent deep threat and red zone target that could try to revitalize his career with a top QB. Just kidding, no interest being shown, but wouldn't that be an interesting pickup?  Could help our return game a lot.

Leveon Bell apparently doesn't need surgery on his groin.  This is good news, probably.  He had 1 doc say he needed it and 2 said he didn't.  Really hoping it doesn't become a nagging injury that he ends up having surgery on midway through next season.

On 2/17/2017 at 10:28 AM, steelers1080 said:

Steelers to let Timmons test Free Agency.  Colbert stated that it would be nice to have him back and that he could fit into their plans, but it would have to be at the right price. I could see Timmons giving the Steelers a home town discount, but it's not a guarantee.  

Steelers resign Chickillo to 1-year deal.  Allegedly trying to lock up Villanueva in a long-term deal.  Resigned Steven Johnson, a special teams player. 

Steelers signed Karlos Williams to a reserve/futures contract.  Looks like they won't cut him loose after his troubles.  Could be a great 1-2 punch with Leveon if he can stay on the field. Was a TD machine in Buffalo.

Steelers trying to sign Landry Jones. View him as better than 80% of the other backups in the league.  Really hope they don't overpay him.

Steelers allegedly showing interest in Cordarelle Patterson. View him as a decent deep threat and red zone target that could try to revitalize his career with a top QB. Just kidding, no interest being shown, but wouldn't that be an interesting pickup?  Could help our return game a lot.

I'm guessing someone is going to give Timmons more than the Steelers want to pay him.  If so, he will be missed but you can't overpay for a 33 yard old LB.  

Hopefully Williams works out but I hope they have a better plan for #2 RB besides Williams and Toussaint.

I am not as down on Landry as others but I certainly wouldn't be throwing a lot of cash at him.

4 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I'm guessing someone is going to give Timmons more than the Steelers want to pay him.  If so, he will be missed but you can't overpay for a 33 yard old LB.  

Hopefully Williams works out but I hope they have a better plan for #2 RB besides Williams and Toussaint.

I am not as down on Landry as others but I certainly wouldn't be throwing a lot of cash at him.

Timmons is only 30 (but will be 31 at the start of next season) - unless you're talking about his age at the end of an expected 2-year deal.  I think the main factor with him will be that they paid Vince Williams to be the starter there when it appeared Timmons was on the downslope - he rebounded and had a good year, but they're kind of pot-committed to Vince at this point.  They can't pay Timmons what he's "worth" on the open market and also pay his back-up starter money.

Vince Williams signed a 3-year $5.5 million contract. That's not starter money.  I wouldn't be surprised if they resigned Harrison and Timmons to 2-year deals.  They're probably letting him test the market to show that he's not THAT in demand.  Also, could see the Steelers going ILB in the first 2 rounds if the right player falls.  Vince is pretty solid at run defense, but he's just not fast enough to cover for any lengthy amount of time.

Also, mock drafts are starting to get ridiculous.  Most have recently shown the Steelers taking Hasaan Reddick, Taco Charlton, Any number of CBs, or Corey Davis, but some are starting to show players that are graded at 3rd rounders or below.  The Steelers don't reach that far for players.  I know it worked out for the Cowboys when they took Travis Frederick, but usually players are graded that low for a reason.

1 hour ago, steelers1080 said:

Vince Williams signed a 3-year $5.5 million contract. That's not starter money.  I wouldn't be surprised if they resigned Harrison and Timmons to 2-year deals.  They're probably letting him test the market to show that he's not THAT in demand.  Also, could see the Steelers going ILB in the first 2 rounds if the right player falls.  Vince is pretty solid at run defense, but he's just not fast enough to cover for any lengthy amount of time.

Also, mock drafts are starting to get ridiculous.  Most have recently shown the Steelers taking Hasaan Reddick, Taco Charlton, Any number of CBs, or Corey Davis, but some are starting to show players that are graded at 3rd rounders or below.  The Steelers don't reach that far for players.  I know it worked out for the Cowboys when they took Travis Frederick, but usually players are graded that low for a reason.

You're right.  When I originally saw that he was re-signed, it was either incorrectly printed or I mis-read it as 3 years at $5.5 million PER.  Never looked again.  That's what I was basing this on, so forget pretty much everything I said.  :lol:

Steelers granted a 3rd round compesatory pick, #105 overall. Not too shabby.

2 people like this

Updated Steelers Mock:

1.  TRADE - We trade our pick to the 49ers or Chicago who are looking to move back into round 1 ahead of Cleveland to take a QB.  Give pick 30 for picks 36, 111, and 221.  With the 36th overall pick the Steelers select - Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio St.  We'd gain a very solid ILB to pair with Shazier, and extra picks.  This is assuming no top-20 talent falls to us at 30.

2.  Tim Williams OLB Alabama - A semi-surprising slide due to his off the field issues and being a 1-trick pony.  He's currently just a pass rushing specialist, and he has had several run-ins with the law already.  He could fall to our 2nd pick and provide a spark when we need to get after the QB.  He's a liability in the running game, but we could pair him in a rotation with Chickillo or another more secure run stopping OLB.

3.  Derek Rivers OLB Youngstown St - Some mocks are now sending him to the Steelers in the 1st round, but I think that teams will have some trepidation over selecting a small school talent that high.  Many people are saying that since the Steelers took Hargrave last year, they'll take Rivers this year, since both are from small schools.  And taking him in the 3rd, the same round as Hargrave, is a lot more palatable.  We'd be doubling down on pass rusher, but it's our weakest area by far and the talent is falling to us.

3.  Jake Butt TE Michigan - A big, strong, injured TE.

4.  Fabian Moreau CB UCLA - Could go much higher, but is being projected all over the place.  Would help solidify our CB core, great talent at this pick.

4.  Kareem Hunt RB Toledo - A solid backup RB.  (Could be Gallman if he falls this far)

5.  Josh Reynolds WR Texas A&M - A tall WR who can be a solid red-zone target.

6.  Eddie Vanderdoes DT UCLA - A solid d-lineman who could add depth potentially.

7.  Xavier Woods SS Louisiana Tech - Solid safety prospect who shows leadership skills, a defining Steelers attribute.

7.  Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss - A flyer on a QB who once showed a lot of promise but has plenty of on and off the field issues.

This draft would get us a starting ILB next to Shazier, 2 edge rushers who could work in rotation to keep them fresh their rookie year (they could also learn from the best how to be the best (Harrison)), a solid TE, CB and S help, a backup RB, a WR red zone prospect, D-line depth, and a potential backup QB.  If we could get half that, it would be a very solid draft.

1 person likes this

As expected the Steelers placed the franchise tag on Le'veon Bell for ~$12.4M. Supposedly they are also making progress on a long term deal with Antonio Brown.

19 minutes ago, bananafish said:

As expected the Steelers placed the franchise tag on Le'veon Bell for ~$12.4M. Supposedly they are also making progress on a long term deal with Antonio Brown.

Can someone please explain to me how the franchise tag for RB's can be more than any RB is likely to be paid next season?  I thought it was supposed to be average of 5 highest paid, this is likely more than anyone once Vikings cut Peterson.

9 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Can someone please explain to me how the franchise tag for RB's can be more than any RB is likely to be paid next season?  I thought it was supposed to be average of 5 highest paid, this is likely more than anyone once Vikings cut Peterson.

I think the average includes guaranteed money, but that is just a guess. It's a good question that is harder to answer than I thought.

I took their average salary (from here), added the "practical guarantees" and divided by the number of years and got:

Peterson $20.67M

Charles $11.65M

McCoy $11.90M

Stewart $10.15M

Martin $8.40M

which gives an average of $12.55M :shrug:

2 minutes ago, bananafish said:

I think the average includes guaranteed money, but that is just a guess. It's a good question that is harder to answer than I thought.

I took their average salary (from here), added the "practical guarantees" and divided by the number of years and got:

Peterson $20.67M

Charles $11.65M

McCoy $11.90M

Stewart $10.15M

Martin $8.40M

which gives an average of $12.55M :shrug:

Thanks for trying to answer, and maybe you did.

One of the reasons I asked, and I know this is an odd source-which is a Dallas based sports radio show, but they were discussing Bell's franchise tag amount on-air a few days ago.

What they discussed was that if Peterson and Charles were cut it would lower Bell's franchise tag amount $2M, which may be accurate. Secondly they said the amount would drop from $9M to around $7M which does not seem accurate.

Their numbers sound off, but if Peterson and Charles are cut would that alter the franchise tag or would that impact not go into impact until next season. Peterson in particular could really lower that tag amount if his contract is out of the picture.

17 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Thanks for trying to answer, and maybe you did.

One of the reasons I asked, and I know this is an odd source-which is a Dallas based sports radio show, but they were discussing Bell's franchise tag amount on-air a few days ago.

What they discussed was that if Peterson and Charles were cut it would lower Bell's franchise tag amount $2M, which may be accurate. Secondly they said the amount would drop from $9M to around $7M which does not seem accurate.

Their numbers sound off, but if Peterson and Charles are cut would that alter the franchise tag or would that impact not go into impact until next season. Peterson in particular could really lower that tag amount if his contract is out of the picture.

Looking at the CBA I don't think it would have any effect because the number relies on previous years applied to the upcoming season. I was kind of right (in that it takes into account cap hit) but not on the details.

It is calculated by:

(1) summing the amounts of the Franchise Tags for players at that position for the five preceding League Years; (2) dividing the resulting amount by the sum of the Salary Caps for the five preceding League Years and (3) multiplying the resulting percentage by the Salary Cap for the upcoming League Year

1 person likes this

And with all that being said the Steelers make Antonio Brown the highest paid receiver at 17M per for four years. I think they probably expect to do something similar with Bell before the season starts.

A $68 Million, 4-year extension with $19 million in a signing bonus.  

I'm looking forward to the details of this contract.  It will be interesting to see the guarantees of the final 2 years of the contract.  Brown has shown that without Ben, he's not quite the same.  That can be due to the skill level of the backup QBs, but it could also be that one of his biggest assets is his bond with Ben and them almost having a psychic connection of what the other will do.  If Ben leaves in the next 3 years it will be interesting to see if the Steelers keep Brown or try and trade him for assets to rebuild.

We also need to resign Shazier and Tuitt soon.

24 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

A $68 Million, 4-year extension with $19 million in a signing bonus.  

I'm looking forward to the details of this contract.  It will be interesting to see the guarantees of the final 2 years of the contract.  Brown has shown that without Ben, he's not quite the same.  That can be due to the skill level of the backup QBs, but it could also be that one of his biggest assets is his bond with Ben and them almost having a psychic connection of what the other will do.  If Ben leaves in the next 3 years it will be interesting to see if the Steelers keep Brown or try and trade him for assets to rebuild.

We also need to resign Shazier and Tuitt soon.

YEAR BASE SALARY BONUS PRORATION ROSTER BONUS CAP CHARGE
2017 $910,000 $12,708,334 $- $13,618,334
2018 $7,875,000 $3,800,000 $6,000,000 $17,675,000
2019 $12,625,000 $3,800,000 $2,500,000 $18,925,000
2020 $11,300,000 $3,800,000 $- $15,100,000
2021 $12,500,000 $3,800,000 $- $16,300,000