steelers1080

Official 2017 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

901 posts in this topic

49ers still want to sell McDonald or are they going to wait until the Ravens have their TE situation shake out?

Green was released because of medical issues. They had to have known about this before the draft, and yet they took Brian Allen, who may or may not make the team, over Bucky Hodges, an athletic freak of a TE.  Hmmm.

Maybe Phazahn Odom is the future?

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

Don't take this wrong IB but I really don't care if Barnidge was a doosh to his neighbors.  In fact it is kind of expected when you live in Cleveland.

Seriously he has proven over the last 2 years that he is capable of posting decent numbers even on a crappy team with horrible QBs.   Even if you think James can be as good I would much rather have Barnidge than any of the other stiffs we have at TE.

I don't care that he was a doosh to his neighbors.  I don't think he's worth a roster add...especially not at what he's likely to be asking, but maybe not even at the vet minimum.

1 hour ago, Bojang0301 said:

49ers still want to sell McDonald or are they going to wait until the Ravens have their TE situation shake out?

He's terrible.

5 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I guess maybe we shoulda drafted a TE.   :wall:

The one position I really wanted in this draft. Wanted Sheehan really bad.

**Myles Garrett, Derek Barnett and TJ Watt were atop my want-needs.

I think we just run a lot more sets with 3 WRs, Leveon, and David Johnson. He blocks very well and can catch in emergencies.

Why are people an annointing Jesse as the next te1 and not Grimble?  Seemed like Grimble was at least as involved in the passing game as James last season...

1 person likes this

56 minutes ago, Arodin said:

Why are people an annointing Jesse as the next te1 and not Grimble?  Seemed like Grimble was at least as involved in the passing game as James last season...

60 targets, 40 receptions vs 20 targets, 11 receptions.  That's why.

Also, one is The Gunslinger, while the other isn't.

I do agree that it will not be 100% Jesse James' show. James, Grimble, and Johnson will be a platoon, like they were for 10 games last season. But more likely is just that the TE is used less in the offense as a pass catching threat, and that a 3 WR set is used more often.

1 person likes this

James is really bad as a receiver. 8.7 per catch one year and 7.0 the other. Takes him 2 catches to NOT produce what Green did in 1.

We need another option, maybe Grimble can do something above putrid.  ###k!

3 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

I think we just run a lot more sets with 3 WRs, Leveon, and David Johnson. He blocks very well and can catch in emergencies.

This is the problem.   Johnson is not a legitimate threat as a receiver, especially downfield which is what the Steelers need.  Grimble and James are better but are unlikely to have the impact that Green was supposed to have had.   

31 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

This is the problem.   Johnson is not a legitimate threat as a receiver, especially downfield which is what the Steelers need.  Grimble and James are better but are unlikely to have the impact that Green was supposed to have had.   

Yeah, we lose an athletic TE who can gain huge chunks of yards and replace him with 3 scrubs.  Maybe we'll all be shocked and James will take a huge leap! Probs not though.

35 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Yeah, we lose an athletic TE who can gain huge chunks of yards and replace him with 3 scrubs.  Maybe we'll all be shocked and James will take a huge leap! Probs not though.

I hope so.  Also with Bryant back and JuJu in the fold the need may not be as severe.   Grimble showed a little last season and maybe Orndoff will be in mix too.

I don't understand the Green cut unless his career is over. Poor foresight by the FO and really a costly position to be in after the draft. I still think they should hit up SF for Vance McDonald or Blake Bell if they don't see those guys as future pieces.

7 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

I don't understand the Green cut unless his career is over. Poor foresight by the FO and really a costly position to be in after the draft. I still think they should hit up SF for Vance McDonald or Blake Bell if they don't see those guys as future pieces.

They cut him because:

1. They didn't think he'd ever play again due to concussions (still not healed after 6 months?).
  2. They didn't want to risk future team $$ on a possible lost cause.
  3. They wanted to free up some cap space to help them sign Tuitt, Bell, Shazier, and Villanueva (hopefully in that order).
  4. If he's not 100% done, cutting him earlier, rather than later, is kinder to the player. It gives them more of a chance to join another team (like Browns cutting Barnidge early).

Housler is available.  Doubt they go for him though. Physical issues as well.

I'm with GB in that the improvement to the WR corps over last year will make all the difference.  A receiving threat at TE is not totally necessary.  I would have loved to pick one up in this supposedly very good TE class, but  Bell runs just as well with or without a TE or FB, and add the notion that JuJu may be as good of a blocker as Green was anyways.  I think we have a younger, smaller version of Green in the rookie.  This O would have been so much more last year with an actual threat opposite Brown (and kind of was with Coates early - pre injury).  Now they likely have two additional WR threats in Bryant and JuJu and possibly the early-season version of Coates back.  If two of the three remain mostly available, nothing was lost at all and likely upgraded.

Do not want Barnidge at all, unless he wants to play for free. He's aging, he's benefited the last few years being on a team with no real #1 target at WR, and he doesn't really bring anything more than what they currently have on the roster.  I don't remotely think James is all that, but I don't see anything Barnidge does that he may not be able to do.  Yeah, he isn't going to challenge the seam like a healthy Green would.  Neither will Barnidge. 

If James can contribute in the RZ, and perhaps Grimble can develop a bit more, they'll manage.  I'd prefer a healthy Green had worked out or that they'd have brought in at least one more body to challenge for PT.  With JuJu getting drafted, and being more of a fit as an inside/beat the guy at the catch point kind of target, maybe they're just going to consider him running the types of routes Green would have?  No idea.  I'm guessing they were hoping like hell Green would be able to contribute, though he would, and got burnt when the physicals rolled around.  It happens.

Edited by 5-ish Finkle

13 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Do not want Barnidge at all, unless he wants to play for free. He's aging, he's benefited the last few years being on a team with no real #1 target at WR, and he doesn't really bring anything more than what they currently have on the roster.  I don't remotely think James is all that, but I don't see anything Barnidge does that he may not be able to do.  Yeah, he isn't going to challenge the seam like a healthy Green would.  Neither will Barnidge. 

If James can contribute in the RZ, and perhaps Grimble can develop a bit more, they'll manage.  I'd prefer a healthy Green had worked out or that they'd have brought in at least one more body to challenge for PT.  With JuJu getting drafted, and being more of a fit as an inside/beat the guy at the catch point kind of target, maybe they're just going to consider him running the types of routes Green would have?  No idea.  I'm guessing they were hoping like hell Green would be able to contribute, though he would, and got burnt when the physicals rolled around.  It happens.

That's assumed to be the Steelers' thinking according to PG writer Ray Fitipaldo.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/05/19/Ladarius-Green-released-JuJu-Smith-Schuster-Jesse-James-tight-ends/stories/201705200019

1 person likes this

Wexell is gushing about Bryant on Twitter today, for how he looked both on the field and during the post practice presser where he was descended on by pretty much every honk there.