Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
steelers1080

Pizza Bagels, Genius!

On 4/19/2017 at 6:57 AM, steelers1080 said:

One team that could be interested in a late round 1 QB is Chicago.  I'd be very happy if we could trade 30 and 94 for 36 and 67. 

This is EXACTLY what Ive been thinking for a month. There are a couple of players who I would have zero issue with taking at 30 and have a realistic chance to be there.  But failing that, I would really like to see us trade down that first round and potentially trade up in the 2nd, 3rd or both.

• Like 1

I'm OFF THE RESERVATION. We are going to go 9-0 and would have been 10-0 except the Titans are on 3 days rest.

A legit shot at HFA, and by God do we need it. Its a must.

• Like 1

That Jaguars game looks like a classic "should be an easy win so the Steelers play down to the opponent and lose" game...

22 minutes ago, CanadianNFLJunkie said:

WOW 9-0?  Even IF Ben plays all 9 games, I don't see that happening.

Agreed, I'd be very happy with 7-2 and I think it's possible if injuries don't wreak havoc. But if now isn't the time for pie-eyed optimism, when is it? It is a very manageable early slate before things get a lot tougher late. Not much travel and a good bye week position. 

It's a pretty favorable schedule overall.  @Ravens and @Chiefs in the first six weeks are the biggest tests.

Packers and Patriots at home helps.  

They could do as well as 14-2, but I expect something more in the neighborhood of 12-4, 11-5.

42 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

It's a pretty favorable schedule overall.  @Ravens and @Chiefs in the first six weeks are the biggest tests.

Packers and Patriots at home helps.  

They could do as well as 14-2, but I expect something more in the neighborhood of 12-4, 11-5.

That stretch of Packers, @Bengals, Ravens, Patriots and @Texans looks pretty tough to me.    

Based on talent and opponents we probably should be 14-2 if everyone stays healthy. Based on recent years I think we'll go 11-5 or 10-6. We'll beat some of the tough teams/situations like the Titans, Green Bay, or Chiefs, but lose to someone surprising like the Jags or Texans (great D but no QB). 

The NE game is the most important to me. If we can get a win there that would make all the difference. And I like that it's 1 week after the Ravens. Hopefully we beat the Ravens, and after that there's worry of coming off a high and underplaying the next game, but there's 0 chance they'd overlook the Pats.

I like that the Bye is dead in the middle, and that we play the Ravens right after they get back from London without a Bye.

I think we hit 6-2 by the bye but it might be the surprising teams that take us down, maybe not the Ravens and Chiefs, maybe Lions or Jags depending on how their drafts work out.

4 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

That stretch of Packers, @Bengals, Ravens, Patriots and @Texans looks pretty tough to me.    

It's a playoff tryout.

8 hours ago, CanadianNFLJunkie said:

Even IF Ben plays

staying healthy is an obvious prerequisite to everything and anything.

7 minutes ago, 3C's said:

So with a "failed" drug test Reuben Foster is supposedly going to fall.

Michael LombardiVerified account @mlombardiNFL 2h2 hours ago

Teams picking between 33-45 will need to make sure they are comfortable with R. Foster, cause he will be there.

Do you take him at 30?

I'd love to hear from a medical person on what exactly a diluted pee sample means.  Did he add water to it after he peed or what??  His excuse seems too phoney.  I did hear his surgically repaired shoulder is STILL a mess and he might need another surgery so with all these red flags, he might slide down into mid to late 2nd now, no??

48 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

staying healthy is an obvious prerequisite to everything and anything.

My point is Ben hasn't been able to play 16 games a season much of late, only two times since 2008!  As he gets older and older, it's only going to get harder to play hurt and he might be one of the toughest QB's playing now but he can't take the hits from hanging onto the ball forever like he has pretty much his entire career.

Lombardi seems the think so, at least early to mid 2nd. I'm not worried about the drug test since they didn't find anything but I don't get paid to make those decisions. He says the shoulder is fine. Obviously a first round talent with some red flags. Fits a need and I'd think will be gone likely not long after their pick (if not before).

Mayock and another (Rappaport I think) say no way he falls out of the 1st.

The closer draft day comes, the more I hope the Steelers trade out of the first round with a team like Clev , SF, Jax, or Chicago if those teams should see any possible QB prospect still on the board at 30 that they covet. Many have Cleveland taking Trubisky with their second pick in the first round so likely not them, but maybe the Steelers can pick up an early second and swap a late third for an earlier third with the other three teams if they see a QB they want.

Edited by pghrob
Grammar

22 hours ago, CanadianNFLJunkie said:

I'd love to hear from a medical person on what exactly a diluted pee sample means.  Did he add water to it after he peed or what??  His excuse seems too phoney.  I did hear his surgically repaired shoulder is STILL a mess and he might need another surgery so with all these red flags, he might slide down into mid to late 2nd now, no??

I believe that it means that the urine itself had a much larger than normal percentage of water in it, meaning that the test can't read it properly.  It is counted as a failure because loading up on fluids can be a way to try to beat the test.  The essential argument on his side is that he had been really sick (and he was underweight at the combine) and therefore had to do a lot to stay hydrated there.

Overall, I really like the way the Steelers' schedule sets up through the bye.  The back half looks pretty treacherous if the Colts bounce back and the Titans continue to build on last year.  But at least if they need a win to get in on the last day of the season, they have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

Foster won't be there at 30, if he is I would be overjoyed if the Steelers ran to the podium for him. If he gets past the Ravens I'd be shocked.

He had a diluted sample, he claims it was because he had food poisoning, and what goes along with food poisoning, and needed to drink lots of fluids. He was also being told that he was too light (possibly because his body was evacuating everything) so he drank and ate a ton. This would cause a diluted sample.  It seems like much ado about nothing.

• Like 1

Watt seems like the likely pick. And I'm okay with that.

Also...have to work Thursday night. What kind of crap is that?! <_<

Edited by 3C's

27 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

Extremely thankful Peppers has probably removed himself from our board (at least for a 1st round pick).

He's not off their board.  A diluted sample counts as a positive test for NFL testing, but teams will talk to players and see what happened. Also, he's never tested positive before and if he really was sick, and does have a history of cramping, then it makes sense that he'd have higher levels of water in his system.

And if you don't like Peppers as a prospect you should watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW4HK4HXEi0

It covers in depth how he was used at Michigan (Almost exclusively to funnel players into the middle of the line).  It shows why he doesn't have the turnovers that Hooker has, or show the cover abilities of other DBs. He wasn't asked to do that. He lined up in man to man coverage a couple times, and performed very well.

I used to be 100% in the anti-Peppers camp, but I have come around and think he'd fit our Nickel scheme very well, which we run over 60% of the time.

On 4/22/2017 at 9:38 AM, pghrob said:

The closer draft day comes, the more I hope the Steelers trade out of the first round with a team like Clev , SF, Jax, or Chicago if those teams should see any possible QB prospect still on the board at 30 that they covet. Many have Cleveland taking Trubisky with their second pick in the first round so likely not them, but maybe the Steelers can pick up an early second and swap a late third for an earlier third with the other three teams if they see a QB they want.

Very unlikely to happen and if it does I hope they use it to bolster their defense or upgrade WR and/or TE rather than waste a pick on a backup QB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Very unlikely to happen and if it does I hope they use it to bolster their defense or upgrade WR and/or TE rather than waste a pick on a backup QB.

If we take a QB earlier than the 3rd round I'd be disappointed

I did hear from 1 source that the Steelers will go  Pass Catcher/CB with the first 2 picks, in either order.  That same source said in 2015 that the Steelers would take OLB/CB in the first 2 rounds, and Jesse James later in the draft... which came to pass.  If you look at a lot of the rumors that are floating around, it would make sense. Peppers is a CB (teams knew about the test weeks ago), and a lot of people think the Steelers like Godwin.  That said, they didn't have that many CBs visit. 

The last 2 years the Steelers met with 7 of 8 picks in the first 4 rounds, and they met with Jesse James in 2015, their 5th round pick. They didn't meet with Bud Dupree because they thought there was 0 chance he'd be there when we picked.  So, who they met with is a very good indicator of who they intend to pick.  Using that as a basis, I think they take a pass rusher or ILB with one of their first 2 picks. They met with 3 1st/2nd round ILBs, and 5 potential 1st round OLBs.  

My draft for them based on who they've met with is: 1 - Budda Baker, 2 - Derek Rivers, 3 - Jourdan Lewis, 3 - Josh Dobbs, 4 - Tanoh Kpassagnon, 5 - Jeremy McNichols, 6 - Kenny Golladay, 7 - Caleb Brantley

They brought in a ton of Safeties for visits and Budda Baker is a good one. This is a reach at 30 by probably 8 spots, so it would be nice to trade back, but I'd be happy with this pick as long as Rivers is still there in the 2nd.  He's very talented, but he went up against lesser competition.  Jourdan Lewis is a good corner who has some off the field troubles. They seem to be much ado about nothing, but could end up leading to a suspension. Josh Dobbs is the best value QB in the draft in my opinion (assuming he doesn't wind up getting overdrafted).  He's a good QB who is extremely smart, I think he'll succeed in the NFL in the right situation. Tanoh is a player that the Steelers met with more than any other, so they're showing a keen interest. The player last year they met with a ton was Hargrave.  Jeremy McNichols is a player they haven't met with, but I wish they would. He's very good and very underrated.  Some people write him off because he comes from Boise who always has good running backs, but getting Ajayi or Doug Martin in the 5th sounds good to me.  Also, he could be better than them.  He faced almost as many stacked boxes as Fournette this year! Teams feared him, prepared for him, and were still beaten by him. Kenny Golladay is a tall WR who adds a solid red zone target.  And Caleb Brantley is a talented player who F'ed up right before the draft. He's going to fall a ton, why not take a 7th round flyer on him if he's still there.

I didn't address ILB or TE, or O-line depth, but this draft would cover a ton of needs and the Steelers only met with 3 TEs and 0 offensive linemen.  

I'm really eager for the Steelers to get pass rush help in this draft, and someone ideally who could impact the pass rush this year.  However, with every mock I look at, there aren't a ton of picks I wouldn't be at least somewhat happy with on draft day.

If they take a QB in round 1?  OK.  Doesn't help them win now, but if they get a guy who has the potential to take over the reins, I'm not going to gripe too hard.  I think a lot of us may have forgotten what the Tommy Maddox era was like.  I don't want to go back to that.  I have a feeling that Ben is going to retire before his current contract expires and I don't want to be left looking at Landry Jones as the starter with a desperation pick rookie as the backup in a year or two.  I wouldn't be thrilled with a first round QB, but again - you wouldn't hear me wailing.

If they take an RB in round 1?  Provided it's Fournette, Cook, or McCaffrey (maybe Kamara) - same as above.  Redundant with Bell on the roster, but Bell is franchised and his future status is unknown.  Add in the suspensions and the injuries and it's possible that they don't want to commit to him long term.  This would be the position I would LEAST want to see them draft in round 1, but if Bell blows out his knee or hits the pipe again and is lost for a season (and if this was the case - probably lost forever), no one is going to wish they hadn't picked an RB at that point.

If they take a WR/TE in round 1?  Meh.  Don't see either as a big position of need, but with so many question marks surrounding Green, Bryant, and Coates, does anyone really want to see a repeat of the AFCC?  With Bell out of the game and no legit second threat to open up the defense, the Steelers couldn't get anything going.  Having another option to unlock defenses isn't a bad thing.  A guy like Njoku wouldn't be my first choice, but an athletic, field-stretching freak running down the middle of the field adds a wrinkle even if the aforementioned guys are healthy and if they aren't?  Well, he could be a near-necessity.  Again, not a position I'd want to see them draft, but I wouldn't cry if they did.

OL?  Once again, wouldn't be my first choice, but is Villanueva the long-term answer at LT?  What tackle depth do they have?  What does Hawkins bring to the table?  Last year was a lucky one in terms of OL injuries, but any long time fan knows that historically, the injury front on the line has been less than kind to us.  If the injury bug starts biting again, we're going to wish we had more quality up front.  Actually, this might be the position I'd least want to see them draft only because this isn't a good year for OL early.  I might grumble a little, but not TOO loud.

Literally anywhere on defense would be fine.  OLB 1st priority, then secondary, then ILB, then DL depth.  DE would be the lowest on my list, but I really wouldn't scream much if they drafted one just because the wear and tear on Tuitt and Heyward playing as many snaps as they do is rough.  A DE pick would be as much about preserving those two guys as it would be about the player being drafted's impact on games.  I think there's little to no chance they go here in the first couple of rounds, but if they did, it would be for a guy they think could step in and fill the shoes of those two without much drop-off and that would be OK (if not great) with me.

I really think a BPA approach is how they need to go in this draft.  Get as much talent as possible - guys who can contribute - and don't think TOO hard about position.  Provided they come away with at least one guy who can get reps in the DB and one guy who can get after opposing QBs, wherever those guys are drafted, I'll be satisfied.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

Provided they come away with at least one guy who can get reps in the DB and one guy who can get after opposing QBs, wherever those guys are drafted, I'll be satisfied.

this really sums up my feelings as well. 

If they do go pass catcher, would love to see it be a TE. Butts or Shaheen would be my (non round 1) choices.

eta - also hope they find a way to draft James Conner at some point

Edited by JoeSteeler

Nice analysis, 1080, and like what you have.   I typically put a lot of stock into who they bring in but it didn't work well for me last season.   Right now my prediction is a bit weird but I have:  

1- OLB Takkarist McKinley – UCLA, 2- TE Evan Engram, Mississippi,  3a- CB Jourdan Lewis,  Michigan,  3b-S Justin Evans -- Texas A&M, 4- QB Brad Kaaya, Miami (FLA), 5-WR  Shelton Gibson, WVU,  6- RB  James Conner, Pittsburgh, 7- OLB Keion Adams,  Western Michigan

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

If they take a WR/TE in round 1?  Meh.  Don't see either as a big position of need, but with so many question marks surrounding Green, Bryant, and Coates, does anyone really want to see a repeat of the AFCC?  With Bell out of the game and no legit second threat to open up the defense, the Steelers couldn't get anything going.  Having another option to unlock defenses isn't a bad thing.  A guy like Njoku wouldn't be my first choice, but an athletic, field-stretching freak running down the middle of the field adds a wrinkle even if the aforementioned guys are healthy and if they aren't?  Well, he could be a near-necessity.  Again, not a position I'd want to see them draft, but I wouldn't cry if they did.

I am getting the feeling they really don't count on any of those guys, let alone all three.   I think they really would like to get a another legitimate threat at either WR or TE to compliment AB.  If you can get that with one of your first 4 picks the offense will be better balanced.  Last season they put way too much of a burden on Bell because AB was covered and there was nowhere else to throw the ball.

Edited by Godsbrother

8 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Nice analysis, 1080, and like what you have.   I typically put a lot of stock into who they bring in but it didn't work well for me last season.   Right now my prediction is a bit weird but I have:  

1- OLB Takkarist McKinley – UCLA, 2- TE Evan Engram, Mississippi,  3a- CB Jourdan Lewis,  Michigan,  3b-S Justin Evans -- Texas A&M, 4- QB Brad Kaaya, Miami (FLA), 5-WR  Shelton Gibson, WVU,  6- RB  James Conner, Pittsburgh, 7- OLB Keion Adams,  Western Michigan

I'd be happy with that draft as well.  I think Engram goes a lot earlier than our 2nd pick though, probably top 10 in the 2nd round.  Also, the Steelers not meeting with Engram or Evans makes me doubt the picks, no matter how much I'd want them there... which is a lot.

The players since 2013 that we didn't meet with officially pre-draft, and drafted in the first 4 rounds (as far as I can tell): 

• 2013 - Markus Wheaton, Landry Jones (2/5)
  • 2014 - Dri Archer (1/4)
  • 2015 - 0 (Had a dinner with Dupree) (0/4)
  • 2016 - Artie Burns (1/4)

That's 4 out of 17 players, if I had to bet I'd wager that 3 or 4 of our top 5 picks will be players we met with at some point during the process. The team looked hardest at Hargrave last year. The player they looked at hardest this year was Tanoh Kpassagnon. I bet we take him in rounds 3/4 if he's there when we pick.  

I'd also wager we take an edge rusher in rounds 1 or 2 since we met with over 8 of them. 

As a general disclaimer, this is my first post on a thread that I should have been a part of for years now.  I have seen some great content on these pages, and wanted to contribute some of my thoughts and observations on the matter of the Draft.  I listen (too much) to podcasts, scour the internet for (reputable) articles, and tend to devote just the right amount (again, too much) of my time to Steelers football.  Here's a few things that I have heard and read this off-season:

• Most importantly, teams tend to try to keep strengths, well, strengths.  It seems intuitive, but with all the off-season click bait and rumor-mongering, it is surprisingly easy to forget.  The Steelers are a great passing team, so expect the draft picks that aren't defensive to at least contribute in that aspect.  
  • Speaking of the picks that are defensive, in Round 1 the Steelers have selected a defensive player 7 out of the last 10 times, including the last 4 straight years.
  • Round 1 picks in the tenure of Colbert and Tomlin tend to have met and/or been observed by both GM and Coach.  If a prospect hasn't met with both, then don't bank on hearing their name Day 1.
  • Steelers place a higher premium on interviews than some other teams, so off field issues don't necessarily exclude a prospect from the Steelers' draft board, but they'd better have had a satisfactory discussion on the matter.
  • The 2017 Draft class is deeper than most at many positions, to the point where the term 'historic' has been bandied about.  In addition, the Steelers do not execute many Draft day trades, especially in the higher rounds.  Having 4 picks in the first 3 Rounds further indicates to me that the Steelers will most likely stay put at 30, not trade back.  Teams won't pay a King's ransom for 30, most likely.  Cleveland is mentioned here quite a bit, but it bears pointing out that the Browns have so much draft capitol because they wanted that draft capitol.  They probably won't trade away the future for one more 1st Round pick.

Now I used to try to predict in a single guess which prospect Colbert and Tomlin would select, but that has started to seem a great exercise in frustration to me.  As much as I read, and as much as I listen, I do not understand all 31 other teams as well as I understand (or at least follow) the Pittsburgh Steelers.  There is little to no way to truly project the Draft, which is part of the beauty and intrigue of the event.  Instead, I now try to find names I wouldn't mind hearing at different points in the Draft.  Before we get in to my names, I feel it prudent to point out that while the Steelers have needs, and pressing ones at that, they are also in a luxury draft for two main reasons.  First, the incumbents are all locked down for 2017 following a few straight postseason appearances, so unlike last year, there are no starting gigs up for grabs as easily as last year.  Second, as previously mentioned, this draft class is very deep, and potential presents itself throughout the draft.  Now, here are some of those names I like:

1. Pick 30 - QB: Deshone Kizer; WR: Chris Godwin; TE: Bucky Hodges, David Njoku; EDGE: Hasaan Redick, Jordan Willis, Charles Harris, Carl Lawson, Takkarist McKinley, TJ Watt; ILB: Zach Cunningham, Jarrad Davis; CB: Tre White, Kevin King, Marlon Humphrey; Safety: Jabrill Peppers, Obi Melifonwu
  2. Pick 62 - WR: Curtis Samuel; TE: Evan Engram; DL: Jaleel Johnson, EDGE: Derek Rivers, Ryan Anderson, Tim Williams, Tarell Basham; ILB: Raekwon McMillan; CB: Chidobe Awuzie, Cordrea Tankersly; Safety: Eddie Jackson
  3. Pick 94/Pick 105 - QB: Nate Peterman, Brad Kaaya, Josh Dobbs RB: Marlon Mack, Jamaal Williams, Joe Mixon; WR: ArDarius Stewart, Cooper Kupp, Isaiah Ford, Kenny Golliday; TE: Jake Butt; DL: Carlos Watkins, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Eddie Vanderdoes; ILB: Duke Riley, Vince Biegel; CB: Cameron Sutton, Rasul Douglas, Corn Elder; Safety: Marcus Maye, Josh Jones

Again, these are names that I like, not necessarily ones that are scheme perfect.  I do stand by the assessment that any reasonable combination of these outcomes for the first two days of the NFL Draft would spell success for the Steelers.  If any of the names above fell to the rounds below where they were listed, I'd be ecstatic.  Each player, excluding quarterbacks, listed above would be a potentially impactful player for the Steelers in 2017.  In Round 1, I stand by Kizer as someone who has all the markers, including his brash self-assessments.  I lived in Charlotte, NC for a long time, and I can assure you that Cam Newton has no lack of confidence, and Brady's Uggs campaign suggests he's comfortable, too.  As an exceptional and exceptionally young player, giving him time to mature and learn in an organization that does it right (thanks, Mr. Rooney) could bring out the best in Kizer.  If he doesn't, Colbert and Tomlin are forgiven, in my book, as we currently have a 2-time Super Bowl Champion out there.  I know he talks retirement, but if the Steelers nail the draft and make another legitimate run at a Super Bowl, I'd wager Ben stays on the hook for another couple of years, especially if he is kept as clean as he was in 2017.  I also elected to name Bucky Hodges, because I honestly believe he is one of the top 2 tight ends in this class.  O.J. Howard will be gone before 30, so Bucky is the best tight end in this class for the Steelers.  I really like his mean streak, and think that the perceived weaknesses in his game won't be a liability with the Steelers, and will develop with time, as most pundits believe it will.  I listed the most EDGE rushers because I feel that is the biggest need and a position we have seen targeted before by Colbert and Tomlin in the first round.  I really do think the Steelers have a shot at double dipping, and early, in this EDGE class. Bud Dupree came on strong at the end of last year, but if you think 2 years ahead, he is the only reliable (if you consider him that) prediction for the starting OLB position, as Chickillo is not an NFL starter, nor does he seem to have the potential to be.  Vince Williams could be at the ILB position, but imagine adding Cunningham, Davis, or McMillan to that group.  Anchoring the second level of the box next to perennial playmaker Shazier could mask issues in front of, behind, or on the sides of that group. 

If I could dream up what I think the best possible outcome of the draft for the Steelers, I would say:

1. Deshone Kizer, QB
  2. Chris Godwin, WR
  3. In either order,
    1. Derek Rivers, EDGE
    2. Bucky Hodges, TE
  4. Cordrea Tankersly, CB
  5. Eddie Jackson, S
  6. James Connor, RB
  7. Keion Adams, EDGE

Again, I think this is the best possible outcome.   Obviously, I've had wilder dreams than that, and I doubt very much that this is what the final draft result will be for the Steelers, but they sure would grade out favorably if it is.  Deshone just felt right for this, and his name keeps popping into my mind unbidden.  Having time to study under Ben, and having an offense that is almost QB proof at the moment could really bring out the elite in Kizer.  Godwin is easily my favorite receiver in the whole draft.  He is 6'1" and 209 lbs, runs a 4.42 and had a top five 20 yd shuttle performance, combined with a higher contested catch rate than Mike Williams.  Those aren't even my favorite reasons to love Godwin.  After missing a block in a game where he was electric, that missed block was his number one concern.  To me his character and effort, combined with his talent warrant even a first-round selection.  Imagine if Coates was the bottom of the Steelers' WR corps, and tell me that doesn't excite you.  Add Bucky Hodges for good measure and watch as the Steelers field Bell, Brown, Bryant, and two of our suddenly unfairly deep TE corps, and watch as defenses run pell mell trying to cover each weapon.  Rivers in the 3rd seems to me to be the best possible choice for the first EDGE selection. Lawson, Watt, McKinley, Charlton, and Harris all have what I view as higher risk per reward scores than truthfully necessary at 30, and will likely not be there at 62.  Other players, like one of my favorites, Jordan Willis, haven't met with or visited the Steelers, which I feel precludes them from consideration for the pick at 30.  Cordrea Tankersly checks boxes for the Steelers, with longer size to possibly oust Cockrell from opposite Burns, who needs to have a better sophomore season.  Tankersly is 6'1" and runs a 4.4 flat at 200 lbs, and has the demonstrated production that supports taking a shot on him to bolster the secondary, making Golson a luxury if he ever pans out, pushing Cockrell into the nickelback role and freeing Sean Davis to stay home at safety where he was much more comfortable and productive in 2016.  Eddie Jackson in the 5th is an absolute steal.  A torn ACL and broken leg (separate injuries) will make some teams hesitant, but Jackson is a player who contributed in Tuscaloosa from year one, and ended with 9 INT, returning some for touchdowns, two forced fumbles, and can contribute in the return game, with 2 career return touchdowns to his name.  All that comes from two abbreviated seasons, one of which was an All-SEC, third team AP All-American season.  Where Jackson really needs help is in the tackle game, and Carnell Lake should be able to help there, especially with a mean streak like Mike Mitchell available as a mentor.  James Connor feels like the pick that Steeler Nation wants as much as anyone in this draft, and here he fits a need at a great value.  I've watched James Connor play, and he has a strength and agility to him that will flourish in relief of Bell.  He is a sturdy option who can run inside, while having the athleticism to bounce outside, and hands to threaten in the passing game.  His character represents an immediate upgrade to any locker room as well.  Keion Adams is a depth pick with extreme athletic upside who may have been gone by the 7th round in drafts that aren't as deep as this, but considering his NFL comp is Arthur Moats, doesn't it make sense for him to study under Moats?

These are just the musings of one man, but I enjoy the discourse, so let me know your thoughts.  All we can really do is guess, right?    All I really know for sure is this: the next 50 or so hours cannot pass quickly enough!

HERE WE GO!

Edited by mat41286
Necessary grammar/syntax edit
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, mat41286 said:
  1. Deshone Kizer, QB
  2. Chris Godwin, WR
  3. In either order,
    1. Derek Rivers, EDGE
    2. Bucky Hodges, TE
  4. Cordrea Tankersly, CB
  5. Eddie Jackson, S
  6. James Connor, RB
  7. Keion Adams, EDGE

This would be a solid draft. Not sure Rivers is there at our 3rd since he's been rising, and usually I've seen Cordrea in the 2nd.

The rumors about Kizer to the Steelers are beginning to pick up even more.  Not sure about him just because we met with Mahomes, Dobbs, Webb, and Peterman, but not Kizer. The Steelers usually draft players they meet with.  Also, Kizer's stock has been dropping. He could be this year's Connor Cook. A QB some think could go late 1st, but ends up falling several rounds.  The other players grade out much higher than the QBs this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelers1080 said:

This would be a solid draft. Not sure Rivers is there at our 3rd since he's been rising, and usually I've seen Cordrea in the 2nd.

The rumors about Kizer to the Steelers are beginning to pick up even more.  Not sure about him just because we met with Mahomes, Dobbs, Webb, and Peterman, but not Kizer. The Steelers usually draft players they meet with.  Also, Kizer's stock has been dropping. He could be this year's Connor Cook. A QB some think could go late 1st, but ends up falling several rounds.  The other players grade out much higher than the QBs this year.

Thanks for the input.  I thought about that your (and, embarrassingly enough, my own) point that if the Steelers haven't met with a prospect, you probably won't hear their name called in Round 1, but I had just read an article by Alex Kozora on Steelers Depot about the Steelers showing heavy interest in Kizer.  He admits the site that broke the news, walterfootball.com isn't exactly the best one out there, but he thought enough of it to report, and apparently Todd Haley has given Kizer the once over, so there's some truth to it.  I had originally thought about Dobbs in the 3rd/4th and Kaaya or Kelley in the 5th/6th, but settled with this as my personal choice.  I honestly think they'll start our on defense, not offense, anyway.  I don't know that they are really looking at the heir apparent this year.  Mahomes does remind me of Ben a bit, but QBs tend to be valued higher by the NFL than the media during mock draft season.  You also see OL players slide in mocks because they aren't sexy, but they tend to keep their premiums in actual NFL circles much more regularly than skill position players.  Cam Robinson was a top 10 player in February, now people often have as few as 3 OL picks in Round 1, when the class is shallow, meaning that if they aren't chosen early, there's no alternative. I've seen Tankersly in early as well, but the NFL.com gives him a 3rd/4th Round grade, and McShay has him as the 24th ranked CB in his latest and final player positional rankings, leading me to believe he'll be available later, since I don't think teams will make a run on corners very early after the first 5-7 are gone.  I think Rivers drops to the 3rd because NFL teams tend not to go too crazy too early on "lower-level" players, no matter what the media says.  It will be fun to see how it plays out, and I have faith in Colbert/Tomlin.

After the fact edit:  I was listening to the Terrible Podcast from yesterday just now, and thought it was funny how much of what I had written was in sync with the content of the podcast.  I also feel it imperative to mention a couple people who I forgot as potential late round fits that I wanted to mention.  First, EDGE prospect Sampson Ebukam as late Day 3 prospect, who, like Adams, could really flourish in the Steelers system, and the interest is there as well, since he was an visit with no combine attendance, meaning the Steelers are taking a good, long look at him.   Next, I wanted to mention Alex Anzalone as a Round 2-4 ILB prospect.  He was a 2 way high school star in Pennsylvania, so he has a good root system in the area as well as being a great prospect who dominated his position group at the combine, with top five finishes in the 40, the 3 cone, and the 20 and 60 yd shuttles.  Finally, Brian Allen, a CB prospect from Utah, who has the size (6'3", 214 lbs) but not the experience (converted WR) to be an investment later in the draft at the end of Day 3.  Also, and most importantly, the more I think about this class of QBs and what the 2018 class promises, I think the Steelers eschew QB this year in favor of yet another defensive pick.  

Edited by mat41286
Forgot a few things
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wheezer34 said:

Martavis Bryant reinstated 

LINK

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS.  Still think we could take a WR or TE early in the draft, but this is a good step. Also, I hope they're on his a$$.  A ton of accountability for a year would be a good thing for him imo.

• Like 1

Late round prospects I like, players mocked in round 7 or later (CBS Prospect Ranking): 

• Jeremy McNichols - RB, He's a faster Kenneth Dixon. Faced a lot of stacked boxes and still produced. I view him as the most underrated RB in the draft.
  • Chad Kelly - QB. Lots of off the field issues, and injury issues, but a sh** ton of potential.
  • Joe Mathis - OLB. Lots of injury issues, but can be explosive and take over games.
  • Amba Etta-Tawo - WR, Tall, fast, 1 year of production. He's a great flyer, could be good or bust out, but worth a late pick.
  • Joe Williams - RB, He retired for part of last season... So, he's got risk. But when he came back, he DOMINATED. He could be great, or out after 1 year, a really wide range for this guy, but that's why he's not a mid-round prospect.
  • Marquez White - CB, very solid. Kinda meh, but had a handful of NFL quality plays against top talent.
  • Jerod Evans - QB, should have stayed in school is what everyone says. But then they say that they already know what kind of player he is, so what would staying in school have gotten him? He will probably bust out of the league in 2-3 years, but if he lands in the right spot and someone is willing to groom him, he's got the potential to be a solid backup. Can't ask for more from a 7th rounder.
  • Ben Boulware - LB, he's too slow. But he was the team leader for a National Championship team. That counts for a lot in my book. I think he'd be a great locker room presence and could use his excellent football instincts to help as a rotational player.
  • Stringfellow - WR, Solid but not spectacular. If we're looking for WR depth with low risk, he's a good flyer.
  • Josh Tupou - NT, Could be a solid run stuffer to rotate in with Hargrave.
  • Ifeadi Odenigbo - Pass Rusher, He's very, very, very, very raw and he sucks against the run. But he had more QB pressures last year than Taco Charlton. Not sure if he can be coached up, but he's basically a poor-man's Tim Williams.
Edited by steelers1080

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS.  Still think we could take a WR or TE early in the draft, but this is a good step. Also, I hope they're on his a$$.  A ton of accountability for a year would be a good thing for him imo.

Sounds like the League is already, with all the checkpoints Bryant has to hit before full reinstatement.  I'd bet the Steelers have a ton of their own requirements, too

12 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Agreed. Hopefully they don't select any qb this year before the 6th round. They can wait until 2018 or 19 to draft an heir to Big Ben. No reason if Ben is playing well to think he shouldn't finish out his contract. Win SB now mode dictates bolstering defense and getting additional pass catchers.  I would be thrilled if they new Martavis Bryant reinstatement status and had clue of Ladarius Green's health before the start of the draft. If those 2 guys are available to play then the draft becomes that much more flexible for the Steelers. 

Ha! I was behind on the news and didn't know Bryant was conditionally reinstated this afternoon. 

Edited by pghrob
Late on the news.

I do not like Kizer, definitely not in the 1st. Would not be shocked if he goes in the 1st since there will be a "run" on QB's early but as long as the Steelers aren't the one taking him I don't care. Will be interesting tomorrow since a few players will probably drop with the not so favorable news coming out on some.

Looking at the pre-draft visits it seems obvious they're not going to draft TE, OL, DL in the first 4-5 rounds (shocker!). Seems likely that ILB, edge, and safety are high on the list and likely round 1 and 2 picks in some order. Obviously as has happened in the past if someone who is BPA falls to them that would change the pick. Like if Howard somehow drops all the way to 30. Only 25 official visits on this list. 4 missing.

I'm a big fan of Kizer as an NFL prospect.  I think he might be the best of the bunch, if his head is on straight.  

That said, not sure I'm interested in the Steelers selecting him in the first.

23 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

I'm a big fan of Kizer as an NFL prospect.  I think he might be the best of the bunch, if his head is on straight.  

That said, not sure I'm interested in the Steelers selecting him in the first.

More and more reports are saying he could slide a lot, similar to Connor Cook last year.  If we could get Kizer with a 2nd or 3rd, I'd be ok with that.  Also happy with Dobbs with our 105 or 4th rounder.

We should draft the all problem team:

• 1 - Reuben Foster - diluted sample, sent home from combine, potential character issues
  • 2 - Jabrill Peppers - diluted sample, tweener, other BS
  • 3 - Deshone Kizer - poor personality (rumors from interviews)
  • 3 - Joe Mixon - we all know what he did, he'll probably be long gone
  • 4 - Jourdan Lewis - potential domestic charge (looks like they should be dropped)
  • 5 - Gareon Conley - an investigative report I read said that the rape charges could be false, that the woman could have filed them out of spite (Remains to be seen)
  • 6 - Joe Mathis - No problems, just an injury history
  • 7 - Caleb Brantley - Knocked a lady out recently

It's a who's who of troubled athletes, people who got into bad situations, and people who drank too much water.  That said, if they can manage to not get suspended and stay out of future trouble, it's 7 players who, based on talent alone, would have gone in the top 2 rounds.  And 1 guy who gets hurt a lot.

• Like 1

The list of players the Steelers met with.  I'd wager we draft at least 4 of these players.

PRI = Private Visit, PRO = Pro Day, EW = East-West Shrine Game, COM = Combine, WOR = Private Workout, SR = Senior Bowl, STM = Some Type of Meeting

This list is most likely incomplete because using the officially announced list of player visits the list only gets up to 26 out of 30 allowed players. There's no reason to think the Steelers didn't use their full allotment, so there could be some unknown visits.  

• Keion Adams, DE, Western Michigan (PRI)
  • Budda Baker, S, Washington (PRI)
  • Vince Biegel, OLB, Wisconsin (PRO)
  • Jake Butt, TE, Michigan (PRO)
  • Austin Calitro, ILB, Villanova (EW)
  • Taco Charlton, DE/3-4OLB, Michigan (PRO)
  • James Conner, RB, Pittsburgh (PRI)  (Counts as a local visit)
  • Jason Croom, TE, Tennessee (PRI)
  • Zach Cunningham, OLB/ILB, Vanderbilt (PRI)
  • Jarrad Davis, ILB/OLB, Florida (PRI)
  • Keionta Davis, DE, Chattanooga (PRI)
  • Josh Dobbs, QB, Tennessee (PRI)
  • Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia (PRI) (Counts as a local visit, not an official private visit)
  • Samson Ebukam, OLB, Eastern Washington (PRI)
  • Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama (COM)
  • Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson (COM)
  • Patrick Gamble, DT, Georgia Tech (PRI)
  • Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State (PRI)
  • Kenny Golladay, WR, Northern Illinois (PRI)
  • Treyvon Hester, DT, Toledo (PRI)
  • Josh Jones, S, N.C. State (PRI)
  • Tanoh Kpassagnon^, DE/3-4DE, Villanova (COM, WOR, PRI)
  • Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan (PRI)
  • Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida (COM)
  • Pat Mahomes^, QB, Texas Tech (COM, PRI)
  • Marcus Maye, S, Florida (PRO)
  • Takkarist McKinley^, OLB/DE/3-4OLB, UCLA (STM, PRI)
  • Raekwon McMillan, ILB, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut (PRI)
  • Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma (WOR)
  • Jalen Myrick^, CB, Minnesota (PRI)
  • Montae Nicholson, S, Michigan State (PRI)
  • Scott Orndoff, TE, Pittsburgh (LOC)
  • Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh (WOR)
  • Carroll Phillips, OLB/DE/3-4OLB, Illinois (PRI)
  • Josh Reynolds^, WR, Texas A&M (COM, PRI)
  • Derek Rivers^, DE, Youngstown State (COM, PRI)
  • Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee (SR)
  • Damarius Travis, SS, Minnesota (EW)
  • T.J. Watt^, OLB/3-4OLB/ILB, Wisconsin (COM, PRO)
  • Davis Webb^, QB, California (PRO, PRI)
  • Marcus Williams, S, Utah (COM)
  • Tim Williams^, OLB/DE/3-4OLB, Alabama (WOR, PRI)
  • Chris Wormley^, DT/DE/3-4DE, Michigan (COM, PRO)

The bolded players they showed a lot of interest in.  Also, there's no reports of the Steelers meeting with Njoku, Corey Davis, Peppers, or Kizer.  Haley was at the ND pro day though.

Edited by steelers1080

More and more reports are saying he could slide a lot, similar to Connor Cook last year.  If we could get Kizer with a 2nd or 3rd, I'd be ok with that.  Also happy with Dobbs with our 105 or 4th rounder.

We should draft the all problem team:

• 1 - Reuben Foster - diluted sample, sent home from combine, potential character issues
  • 2 - Jabrill Peppers - diluted sample, tweener, other BS
  • 3 - Deshone Kizer - poor personality (rumors from interviews)
  • 3 - Joe Mixon - we all know what he did, he'll probably be long gone
  • 4 - Jourdan Lewis - potential domestic charge (looks like they should be dropped)
  • 5 - Gareon Conley - an investigative report I read said that the rape charges could be false, that the woman could have filed them out of spite (Remains to be seen)
  • 6 - Joe Mathis - No problems, just an injury history
  • 7 - Caleb Brantley - Knocked a lady out recently

It's a who's who of troubled athletes, people who got into bad situations, and people who drank too much water.  That said, if they can manage to not get suspended and stay out of future trouble, it's 7 players who, based on talent alone, would have gone in the top 2 rounds.  And 1 guy who gets hurt a lot.

It would be one heluva haul

• Like 1

Starting to hear more and more rumors that the Steelers could look to trade up in the draft if someone they love falls past pick 20. Lots of buzz around Miami at 22 since they don't have a 3rd round pick.  I'm not sure I see any player they'd feel the need to leap up for in the 1st. 

What if we trade up in the 2nd? I'm not sure there's a player there either worth 2 of our picks, but if we get someone like Taco Charlton in the 1st and then trade up for Zach Cunningham? I'd be happy with that.  But would we rather have Zach Cunningham than Chris Godwin and Jourdan Lewis? I'm not sure.

Man, this draft is going to be crazy. 

James C Wexell @jimwexell 14h14 hours ago

DeShone Kizer at 30 = Mark Malone at 28 in 1980

33 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

This list is most likely incomplete because using the officially announced list of player visits the list only gets up to 26 out of 30 allowed players. There's no reason to think the Steelers didn't use their full allotment, so there could be some unknown visits.  

Ed BouchetteVerified account @EdBouchette

Steelers were one short on official visits, did 29.

1 minute ago, steelers1080 said:

Starting to hear more and more rumors that the Steelers could look to trade up in the draft if someone they love falls past pick 20. Lots of buzz around Miami at 22 since they don't have a 3rd round pick.  I'm not sure I see any player they'd feel the need to leap up for in the 1st. 

What if we trade up in the 2nd? I'm not sure there's a player there either worth 2 of our picks, but if we get someone like Taco Charlton in the 1st and then trade up for Zach Cunningham? I'd be happy with that.  But would we rather have Zach Cunningham than Chris Godwin and Jourdan Lewis? I'm not sure.

Man, this draft is going to be crazy. 

I would.

Final Mock (I swear!), what they should do and is realistic:

• 1 - TRADE - Trade 1st and 3rd to move up to grab a player who's falling - Reuben Foster - ILB - He falls for numerous reasons, but is a great player.
  • 2 - Derek Rivers - EDGE - Very good pass rusher from a small school with lesser competition
  • 3 - Gareon Conley - CB - Very serious allegations, but some investigative reports say it's all false. HUGE risk, for a very talented player
  • 4 - Josh Reynolds - WR - Red Zone Target
  • 5 - James Conner - RB - A bruiser who would compliment Bell.
  • 6 - Chad Kelly - QB - He's rough, really rough, but talented. Sits for a couple years and gets his head on straight behind Ben who also used to have a bit of an ego problem.
  • 7 - Montae Nicholson - SS - Hometown kid from Monroeville, they brought him in for a workout, done deal.
  • We get ILB, EDGE, CB, WR, RB, QB, and SS. Covers some big needs and gets arguably 3 1st round talents, 2 of which were never thought to be a possibility. I think that Foster's situation is overblown, and Conley's situation might be different than first thought. There's reports out now that the charges are false and that he did put himself in a bad situation, but that he didn't do what he's accused of.

11 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

• 1 - TRADE - Trade 1st and 3rd to move up to grab a player who's falling - Reuben Foster - ILB - He falls for numerous reasons, but is a great player.
  • 2 - Derek Rivers - EDGE - Very good pass rusher from a small school with lesser competition
  • 3 - Gareon Conley - CB - Very serious allegations, but some investigative reports say it's all false. HUGE risk, for a very talented player
  • 6 - Chad Kelly - QB - He's rough, really rough, but talented. Sits for a couple years and gets his head on straight behind Ben who also used to have a bit of an ego problem.
  • 7 - Montae Nicholson - SS - Hometown kid from Monroeville, they brought him in for a workout, done deal.
  • We get ILB, EDGE, CB, WR, RB, QB, and SS. Covers some big needs and gets arguably 3 1st round talents, 2 of which were never thought to be a possibility. I think that Foster's situation is overblown, and Conley's situation might be different than first thought. There's reports out now that the charges are false and that he did put himself in a bad situation, but that he didn't do what he's accused of.

I like it but don't see #1 or #3 happening.

Just now, Godsbrother said:

I like it but don't see #1 or #3 happening.

Agree.  I don't see #1 happening because there is too much good stuff in this draft to worry about moving up.  Some honey gonna drip down as far as our 2nd or even 3rd picks.  Not worth giving up a 1st AND 2nd or 3rd this year to get nearly the same caliber of player that can likely be had pick 50-60.  Now, a 3rd and 4th or similar to move back up into the 2nd and I'm game.

#3 isn't happening if they weren't willing to even give a 7th rounder for La'el Collins when they needed him (and still do).  We'll collect potheads and give them 4 or 5 chances, but won't even risk taking someone facing serious charges even if it's nearly for free.

2 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

I get that you're looking to snag value everywhere, but the Steelers typically tend to shy away from guys with character concerns (generally speaking) and you have them taking major red flag character guys in the 1st, 3rd, and 6th rounds.  I like the value/players you mocked at each of those spots, but as a whole, this draft would feel exceedingly un-Steeler-like.

53 minutes ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

I get that you're looking to snag value everywhere, but the Steelers typically tend to shy away from guys with character concerns (generally speaking) and you have them taking major red flag character guys in the 1st, 3rd, and 6th rounds.  I like the value/players you mocked at each of those spots, but as a whole, this draft would feel exceedingly un-Steeler-like.

True, although I'd argue that only the 3rd round pick is a major red flag. And they took Bryant in the 4th with his red flags coming out of school.

That said, I do doubt they take any of the players mentioned, but it would be nice (assuming they're cleared).

Also, I feel like some people are lazy about covering the Steelers.  Bouchette said that he assume Mixon isn't on the Steelers board, but they're the ones who worked him out at the OU pro-day.  That seems like an indicator that they're at least somewhat interested. Otherwise why waste your time.