What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Soft Boiled Eggs (1 Viewer)

Yes.  One of my favorite foods.  I've perfected a cooking technique for them too.  Dont put the eggs into the pot until the water is at a rolling boil.  Then drop them in and cook for exactly 6.5 minutes.  Chill to stop cooking immediately.   Perfect every time.

Love them.  Put em in an egg cup, snip off the top and dunk in my "soldiers" of toast.  The key is to get the yolk thick, but still spreadable.  Like soft butter. 

Yes.  One of my favorite foods.  I've perfected a cooking technique for them too.  Dont put the eggs into the pot until the water is at a rolling boil.  Then drop them in and cook for exactly 6.5 minutes.  Chill to stop cooking immediately.   Perfect every time.
How many eggs do you do at once with this method?  

Going to try this today.  Will report back.  

Anywhere from 1-6.

I like it because you have better control of the temperature the eggs are at throughout the entire cooking time.  A lot of people put the eggs in from the start without realizing that having the eggs in there as well as the number of eggs in there will affect boiling times.  

The only danger is the eggs potentially cracking by being dropped into boiling water.  I use a large spoon to carefully drop them in slowly to avoid this.  

I also had to lengthen the time by a minute or so the one time I did this at a higher altitude.  Your times may vary but once you find the right time, they come out perfect every time.  

Hmm I did 6 yesterday and think I'll cut back to 5.5 to get a runnier yolk

Also don't do eggs right from fridge let them come to room temp first

Chill by putting in fridge, freezer, ice bath?  For how long before you can consume?

Chill by putting in fridge, freezer, ice bath?  For how long before you can consume?
Cold water works for me.  Ice bath if you really want it runny.  If they're not still slightly warm when you eat them, you're doing it wrong.  

Also, with my method above, I pull the eggs out of the fridge at the same time that I put the water on heat.  So they're out of the fridge only about 5 minutes.  If you bring them to room temp, you'd need to lower the time a bit.  It's nice to be able to cook some of these up in only 10-15 minutes total without having to wait for eggs to get to room temp.  

Cold water works for me.  Ice bath if you really want it runny.  If they're not still slightly warm when you eat them, you're doing it wrong.  

Also, with my method above, I pull the eggs out of the fridge at the same time that I put the water on heat.  So they're out of the fridge only about 5 minutes.  If you bring them to room temp, you'd need to lower the time a bit.  It's nice to be able to cook some of these up in only 10-15 minutes total without having to wait for eggs to get to room temp.  
Thanks, this is breakfast tomorrow.  

I do the same thing, only longer cook time (closer to 10-11 minutes), for hard boiled eggs. Put them in an ice bath then into the fridge. Pull them out when I want one. When done right, they are perfectly cooked and super easy to peel out of the fridge.

Will have to work on the soft boiled - my kids really like fried or over easy on toast, or when I make them a breakfast sandwich but with an overeasy egg so the yolk runs through the sandwich.

Love them but I need to hone my technique.  It's difficult to get them just right.

Going to try this today.  Will report back.  

Anywhere from 1-6.

I like it because you have better control of the temperature the eggs are at throughout the entire cooking time.  A lot of people put the eggs in from the start without realizing that having the eggs in there as well as the number of eggs in there will affect boiling times.  

The only danger is the eggs potentially cracking by being dropped into boiling water.  I use a large spoon to carefully drop them in slowly to avoid this.  

I also had to lengthen the time by a minute or so the one time I did this at a higher altitude.  Your times may vary but once you find the right time, they come out perfect every time.  

Hmm I did 6 yesterday and think I'll cut back to 5.5 to get a runnier yolk

Also don't do eggs right from fridge let them come to room temp first

Ice bath.  Couple of minutes 

Guys you are on the right track but slightly off (ETA yes, I know how that makes me sound and it is not my intention).  Let J. Kenji Lopez-Alt guide the way. He is the ultimate food scientist and did rigorous testing on this very issue.

A couple points:

1) Boiling water is okay but steam is better, it heats quicker, wastes less water and perfectly controls the temp (water temp is more directly impacted by dropping eggs in) and the shells won't crack from the sudden heat change. It truly is a fire-and-forget technique.

2) Eggs straight out of the fridge not brought to RT. 

3) Shock in ice bath after cooking. This is the essential part for getting them to peel easily.

4) The amount of time you cook is entirely up to your tastes. Generally between 6-11 minutes, any longer and you start to get the grey ring (ferrous sulfide) on the exterior of the yolk any less and you risk the yolk not being entirely heated. 

Seriously, check out the linked article the guy really, really lays out the case for the steam technique.  It's a long article but a very easy technique.  Here is just the quick recipe steps.

Last edited by a moderator:

It turned out really runny with the ice bath. Still very tasty.  Need to experiment though to see how I really want them.   Will try just water next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
It turned out really runny with the ice bath. Still very tasty.  Need to experiment though to see how I really want them.   Will try just water next time.
Are you at a high altitude?  Also, how many did you do and did you use a small pot such that the water may have stopped or slowed boiling when putting in the eggs?

There is such a small margin of error to get just the right yolk consistency.  Everyone's times might differ slightly.

If your eggs are too runny, cook them longer.  Don't change the cooling solution.  The method is to cook them to exactly your preference and then immediately stop the cooking process with the ice bath.  You're never going to get consistent results if you rely on carryover heat to finish your cooking process.

:blackdot:

Are you at a high altitude?  Also, how many did you do and did you use a small pot such that the water may have stopped or slowed boiling when putting in the eggs?

There is such a small margin of error to get just the right yolk consistency.  Everyone's times might differ slightly.
Not high.  2 eggs.  Pot stayed at a boil.  This might be the first time I've had soft boiled eggs.  For all I know, the consistency was just right.  The pretty much has the consistency of sunny side up yoke.

Guys you are on the right track but slightly off (ETA yes, I know how that makes me sound and it is not my intention).  Let J. Kenji Lopez-Alt guide the way. He is the ultimate food scientist and did rigorous testing on this very issue.

A couple points:

1) Boiling water is okay but steam is better, it heats quicker, wastes less water and perfectly controls the temp (water temp is more directly impacted by dropping eggs in) and the shells won't crack from the sudden heat change. It truly is a fire-and-forget technique.

2) Eggs straight out of the fridge not brought to RT. 

3) Shock in ice bath after cooking. This is the essential part for getting them to peel easily.

4) The amount of time you cook is entirely up to your tastes. Generally between 6-11 minutes, any longer and you start to get the grey ring (ferrous sulfide) on the exterior of the yolk any less and you risk the yolk not being entirely heated. 

Seriously, check out the linked article the guy really, really lays out the case for the steam technique.  It's a long article but a very easy technique.  Here is just the quick recipe steps.
Seems complicated 

Users who are viewing this thread