Yenrub

2017 New York football Giants thread

639 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

It's been a massive holding pattern for everyone it seems. Giants look like they plan to play Shep more outside (don't like it) and also use a lot of Cody Latimer (hate it). I would hope they sign a vet slot guy, because not sure I trust RLJr.

I think in 2 WR sets Shepard will be on the outside opposite OBJ. In 3 WR sets Shepard will move to the slot, Latimer will come off the bench and go outside.

Again just my guess

51 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

I think in 2 WR sets Shepard will be on the outside opposite OBJ. In 3 WR sets Shepard will move to the slot, Latimer will come off the bench and go outside.

Again just my guess

That makes the most sense. I'm not sure I like Shep playing so much outside (inside Shep/Engram combo is more threatening) or Latimer anywhere (this guy couldn't click with Peyton?)

Ideally, Shep plays the slot. Latimer is a bum, and the Giants are paper thin at WR, so they have to line him up outside. If only there was a veteran WR they could sign to play opposite Beckham, moving Shepard to the slot for good.

1 person likes this

Giants select Sam Beal CB Western Michigan in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft

1 hour ago, Yenrub said:

Giants select Sam Beal CB Western Michigan in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft

The G-Men surrender a 2019 third-round pick to take Beal. At 6'1/185, Beal was forced to leave Western Michigan for academic reasons. He was projected as a top-five player at his position heading into next year's draft, so this could be a steal for the Giants if it pans out. Beal has yet to turn 22 years old and is fresh off a 4.47 forty and 37-inch vertical at his Pro Day. Beal should compete with the likes of William Gay for snaps behind Janoris Jenkins and possibly Eli Apple. The talent is there for Beal to make an immediate impact, though corner is a tough NFL transition. Beal is obviously already behind after not taking part in spring work.

So basically he's very talented but possibly a big dummy. Ok size and great speed.

17 hours ago, The Frankman said:

So basically he's very talented but possibly a big dummy. Ok size and great speed.

Sounds like Eli Apple.

On 6/25/2018 at 6:38 PM, Jello_Biafra said:

Ideally, Shep plays the slot. Latimer is a bum, and the Giants are paper thin at WR, so they have to line him up outside. If only there was a veteran WR they could sign to play opposite Beckham, moving Shepard to the slot for good.

Hmmm...

On 7/11/2018 at 3:44 PM, The Frankman said:

6'1" is Good size not OK and he was projected to be a top 5 corner in 2019 ... it's a potentially great pick for a 3rd rounder.

On 7/13/2018 at 6:57 PM, Mystery Achiever said:

McAdoo surfaces to speak to the Post.

Team made a lot of moves he wanted and thinks they win the division.
https://nypost.com/2018/07/12/ben-mcadoo-breaks-his-silence-on-a-giants-team-hes-loving/

Nice things to say about the pass catchers
https://nypost.com/2018/07/12/fired-giants-coach-thinks-odell-beckham-decision-is-easy/

McAdoo questions how much success Philly has had. Well, prior to last season, in the previous 17 seasons:

-11 winning seasons

-2 8-8 seasons

- 4 losing seasons (2 of which were 7-9)

So the Eagles may not win the division this year, but I doubt it will be because the organization does not know how to handle success.

I now have to worry about the Giants because McAdoo is no longer their head coach.

Just now, dhockster said:

I now have to worry about the Giants because McAdoo is no longer their head coach.

And replaced by a former Eagles OC.

a little off topic  so I apologize but I figured I would get some great answers to my questions while its offseason 
im headed to new York for a the 1st time and its always been a bucket list to see the giants play at home
1. is it better to buy at stadium or website 
2. if website - which site is the best(want to avoid fake tickets)  and how soon should I buy (oct 11 game against eagles)
3. in the stadium are there any sections I should avoid (bad site lines)
4. im assuming there is tailgating, what time will it start

thanks 
if anyone wants to meet up for a beer let me know 

Giants sign Connor Barwin https://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/07/giants_sign_connor_barwin_5_things_to_know_about_e.html#incart_river_index

He adds a vet presence with some situational pass rush help as well as some versatility. In odd man fronts he can either lineup opposite of OV or spell OV from time to time. In even man fronts both he and OV have experience playing with their hand in the dirt. Solid but not spectacular move.

Jon Halapio has continued to work as the Giants' starting center at training camp this week.

Brett Jones continues to work with the second team, following the same lineup the Giants used this spring. Halapio drew some praise for his work at OTAs. A 2014 sixth-rounder of the Patriots, Halapio played his first-ever snaps last season. The rest of the Giants' line: LT Nate Solder, LG Will Hernandez, RG Patrick Omameh, and RT Ereck Flowers. It's a brand-new starting five.

I find it amazing that Brett Jones got beat out at C after his work last year, but it clicks with the Giants' new philosophy. Halapio is 6'3 and "315" (looks heavier) and Jones 6'2 and a pass-protection guy who's bad at run-blocking. Giants have switched from a mobile guard pulling line to more of a "hog molly" physical trench trench warfare type of line. It goes hand in hand with the new GM's plan of attack:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Giants-2018-NFL-Draft-signifies-a-major-change-in-philosophy-117823298/

Highlights of Giants' 1st practice with video and MANY surprises....

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/ContentGallery/New-York-Giants-training-camp-highlights-from-practice-no-1-120111863/

1) Beckham in the slot, returning punts, doing a little bit of everything

2) Manning showing mobility and apparently coaching staff has had him practice rolling out more (eliminate soft sacks)

3) Saquon Barkley tape is wow

Game Observations ...

• I would trade our QBs for the Browns QBs in a heartbeat ... Mayfield looks great !
  • Lauletta looks like our best QB, Eli looks like Eli 2017 (Don't think he wants to play anymore) and I see why they did not play Webb last year.
  • Our Def Front Seven look really really strong and deep against the run ...against the pass still TBD
  • Like the veterans/leaders that we've added ...Solder on the OL and Ogletree on Def (even though he got toasted by Njoku) plus Stewart,Barwin 
  • Lot of happy faces on the sideline they look like they are having fun and getting along 
  • RBs look great Saquon (Love his personality),Gallman, Stewart, and Martin from Rutgers looks great
  • Corners and Depth look like a big problem ... Eli Apple still sux and turns his back on the play regularly
  • Odell looks like the next Michael Jackson or Sammy Sosa ... was hoping he would straighten out once they got rid of his boyfriend Brad ,,, that hairdo has got to go

Good for the Giants last night. 

First and foremost no major injuries for the Giants. Second they improved from last week.

Davis Webb had a nice night (a little high on some passes). He led a 17 play, 9 minute drive for a TD

With the exception of the sack fumble he gave up (which was called back) Flowers wasn't terrible. 

Gallman looked good in all phases (running, catching and pass protection)

The run defense was rock solid again 

The pass rush looked good last night. Wynn and OV had sacks against the 1st team offense. Carter had a sack against the 1st team offense but it was called back because of the terrible helmet rule call against Herzlich. Kareem Martin had some good pressure too. The backups added a pair of sacks in the 2nd half as well.

Ogletee was abused by Theo Riddick in the slot for a big 40 yard gain early

Was glad see they got OBJ deal done before the season started. The story lines if they hadn't would have been boringly predictable. I think Shumur is doing good job with him. Now it will be up to OBJ to prove that this new found maturity isn't a facade. 

I am excited about the offensive, if the offensive line is merely average they should have a good year with the ball. It seems like years since the Giant OLine could get a push going, you could see a push in the preseason games. Forgot what it looked like. Defensively I am getting worried. They were struggling to get pressure even with Vernon. And Ogletree might be force in the run game, but he looks like a huge liability in the passing game. Hopefully this is all preseason smoke and regular season defense will be better vs the pass.

It's odd because Ogletree was supposed to help the pass coverage but he's been on the downtrend the last few years... Most of the draft picks have already contributed so that's a good sign *looks at Jerry Reese draft history*

20 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

It's odd because Ogletree was supposed to help the pass coverage but he's been on the downtrend the last few years... Most of the draft picks have already contributed so that's a good sign *looks at Jerry Reese draft history*

I am not trying to read too much into it until the regular season starts. I am also trying, not really succeeding, to ignore Stewart's efforts when he is running the ball. I am concerned that is going to prove to be a big miss once the games start mattering. Excuse me while I go whistle past this graveyard now.

2 hours ago, IrishTwinkie said:

I am not trying to read too much into it until the regular season starts. I am also trying, not really succeeding, to ignore Stewart's efforts when he is running the ball. I am concerned that is going to prove to be a big miss once the games start mattering. Excuse me while I go whistle past this graveyard now.

Oh yeah he's cooked... only reason I'm not flipping out is Gallman Jr was always the man I wanted to backup. Some of his non-analytical talk really scares me though... Gettleman has a lot of "he's a FOOTBALL player!" Gruden-talk in him. But the got the guy I wanted (Will Hernandez) and they actually addressed LB and support for the hybrid 3-4 the D is running.

Couple of potential NFL Cuts for the Giants to consider 

• Kony Ealy - 3-4 DE/OLB - Drafted by Gettleman in Carolina
  • Jonathan Cooper - If John Jerry is cut Cooper better fits the hog molly profile - Drafted and played 2 seaons in ARZ while Bettcher was there
  • TJ Clemmings - RT/LT drafted by the Vikings and started 14 games under Shurmur as the Offensive coordinator

Ok. Wow. I didn't see this coming. I am confused as to why they waived Webb. I like that they were active with the waiver moves. But I just don't get why they waived Webb and kept Tanney.  Some one is going to need to explain this to me. Small words would be better, because I am baffled.

16 hours ago, IrishTwinkie said:

Ok. Wow. I didn't see this coming. I am confused as to why they waived Webb. I like that they were active with the waiver moves. But I just don't get why they waived Webb and kept Tanney.  Some one is going to need to explain this to me. Small words would be better, because I am baffled.

I agree I don't agree with keeping Tanney over Webb. 

I guess they think that if Eli gets hurt Tanney can step in and play. I think it would be better to develop 2 young guys behind Eli but they don't  see it that way

Very odd... I get Webb is the previous organizations' guy and the drafted their own, but who backs up Eli? Certainly not Tanney and no way Kyle Lauletta is ready.

Apparently, in Shurmur's press conference yesterday, he told reporters that he strongly believes in having a veteran in the QB room. So, I guess it was always between Webb and Lauletta. Not Tanney.

31 minutes ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Apparently, in Shurmur's press conference yesterday, he told reporters that he strongly believes in having a veteran in the QB room. So, I guess it was always between Webb and Lauletta. Not Tanney.

They couldn't find a better veteran than Tanney

4 hours ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Eli isn't a veteran? maybe this got twisted in between the presser and here. I have to think there are other veterans out there that can out play a journeyman backup who has played in 1 game and thrown 14 passes in 7 years. The media has correctly pointed out that this move increases the importance of Eli. They were always going to be in trouble if he got hurt, now? I don't even want to consider what will happen if Tanney has to play any minutes. It seems like they have to now what they have in Tanney, after 7 years his upside must clearly be understood by now. I am not saying Webb is a sure HOF or anything, but at least he has a chance to have some upside. I can't see any for Tanney. If there was anything there, somebody, in this QB hungry league, would have kicked the tires already.

Well, I was hoping for "not inept". And for the most part that was achieved. Flowers is a still "a big play for the defense just waiting to happen" and can't wait for him to be off the roster. Can't happen soon enough. They had a chance to win in the end and that was about as much as I could reasonably dream about.

Still lots of work to do, but the improvements are noticeable. 

Edited by IrishTwinkie

1 hour ago, IrishTwinkie said:

Well, I was hoping for "not inept". And for the most part that was achieved. Flowers is a still "a big play for the defense just waiting to happen" and can't wait for him to be off the roster. Can't happen soon enough. They had a chance to win in the end and that was about as much as I could reasonably dream about.

Still lots of work to do, but the improvements are noticeable.

Giants got rid of two guys on the line that are much better than Flowers. Dude was terrible tonight.

Agreed. I am concluding it was simply money that kept him around. But yeah, he was terrible. Reese is not done haunting the team yet. 

Absolutely disgusting display by the Giants @ Dallas  last night.

If the Giants lose next week @ Hou  ... I'm going to start routing for the #1 draft pick

Next 10 games, any of these look like we don't get an L except the Bye?  

@Houston

Saints

@Carolina

Eagles

@Atlanta

Washington

Bye

@San Fran

Tampa

@Philly

Bears

Just now, kodycutter said:

Next 10 games, any of these look like we don't get an L except the Bye?  

@Houston

Saints

@Carolina

Eagles

@Atlanta

Washington

Bye

@San Fran

Tampa

@Philly

Bears

Giants have a good chance at a win against Houston. Watson looks like a rookie QB, the offensive line is terrible at pass blocking, and their corners are suspect. Add in Bill O'Brains ineptitude, and I could easily see the Giants coming away with a win. The Texans have gotten 3 sacks in 2 games, and the Titans were starting 2 back-ups at both tackle positions yesterday. So I don't necessarily see the Texans exploiting the Giants biggest weakness.