Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Yenrub

2017 New York football Giants thread

11 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Mind going into more depth about why the offense isn't also a problem?  I'm only watching from afar, but my impression of it has been between inconsistent and awful.  Wins over Nick Mullens, Josh Johnson, and one of those QB carousel games for Tampa wouldn't have me feeling that next season will be better either.  But perhaps there's something I'm missing about the offense from afar. I could barely stay engaged in those horrendous performances against Philly and Atlanta, so I shut down watching this team at that point.

They were all Learning a new offense ... New Head Coach and Offensive coordinator 

As I pointed out earlier Giants scored 38, 30, 40, 35 in the last 7 weeks of the season and lead the NFC East in scoring. 

The line and Eli played much better down the stretch, the WRs, TE's and RBs looked very good with lots of depth.  They developed a Pro bowl K and their return game was improved with Coleman and Latimer ... hopefully they both come back. All of this with a line that was not very good but looks like it is only a player or 2 away from being much better. 

3 hours ago, monk said:

Deshaun Watson was sacked like 58 times with a better oline 

Brady is a statue and Peyton was a statue but these guys never got sacked.

Eli has always been a statue but this is the most he's ever been sacked by far. 

You’re misunderstanding me.  Eli can’t feel the pressure.  That’s the difference between him and Peyton and Brady.  Both Peyton and Brady knew how to slide around in the pocket.  You don’t need to be a running QB to avoid the rush.  You just need to be able to feel the pressure coming and move away from it.  Eli is oblivious to it. 

1 hour ago, Boone22 said:

You’re misunderstanding me.  Eli can’t feel the pressure.  That’s the difference between him and Peyton and Brady.  Both Peyton and Brady knew how to slide around in the pocket.  You don’t need to be a running QB to avoid the rush.  You just need to be able to feel the pressure coming and move away from it.  Eli is oblivious to it. 

Agree to disagree here. There were times this season where Eli was beaten to his spot. Put me, you, anyone in this thread and we could have done a similar job as Flowers was doing. Getting our butts handed to us as the DE smashes into Eli before he's had time to even plant his back foot. Flowers in particular but the entire line was that bad.  To say Eli is oblivious to the rush is just hating. The sacks don't even begin to measure the number of times Eli pressured and hit early in the season. Yes, Eli was looking at the rush. Because his life depended on it. The line was not trust worthy in anyway. In the second half it became more so and Eli's play improved. Defending the Giants in the beginning of the season was stupidly simple. Rush 4, watch them get home and get other 7back. Blitzes weren't needed. Ever.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Boone22 said:

Well then how do you explain the fact that Brady has been sacked more often than Eli ... despite being on a better team with a better oline for almost his entire career.

Is Eli just getting worse ??? Looking at the stats ... Eli was sacked 31 times through his 1st 8 games and only 16 time through his final 8 games so ....it actually looks like Eli iis  becoming more elusive in his old age. Or maybe the line was just playing better the 2nd half of the season. 

Which do you think it is?

• Like 1

First off I never said the o-line doesn’t suck.  The combination of a bad o-line and Eli not being able to sense the pressure when it comes is the problem.  As for Brady having more sacks... Bradys been Starting for 17 years vs Eli’s 14 years so there’s a 3 year difference.  You’d expect Brady to have more sacks.  

1 hour ago, Boone22 said:

First off I never said the o-line doesn’t suck.  The combination of a bad o-line and Eli not being able to sense the pressure when it comes is the problem.  As for Brady having more sacks... Bradys been Starting for 17 years vs Eli’s 14 years so there’s a 3 year difference.  You’d expect Brady to have more sacks.  

They are both averaging 28 sacks per 16 games for their careers ... Eli's percentage is slightly less than Brady's

Prior to this season Eli was averaging  27 sacks per 16 games for his career this year he was sacked 47 times  ... by far the most of his career

On 1/4/2019 at 12:41 PM, monk said:

Deshaun Watson was sacked like 58 times with a better oline 

Brady is a statue and Peyton was a statue but these guys never got sacked.

Eli has always been a statue but this is the most he's ever been sacked by far. 

Watson did not have a better offensive line. At best, it was equally as bad as the Giants line.

1 hour ago, dhockster said:

Watson did not have a better offensive line. At best, it was equally as bad as the Giants line.

Not throwing stones and I didn't watch the game, but it seemed like Houston lived on its D (which was clearly better than the Giants D) with just enough magic from Watson this season. Watson seemed to have no answers this weekend when the chips were down. I am not dissin' Watson. Rather simply underscoring the point that one guy can only do so much to make for the 5 guys in front of him. Sometimes those 5 guys stink so bad, you can't tell what you really have.

Kyler Murray or Dwayne Haskins ?

I think I would take Murray if he was available at 6 ... I would not take Haskins unless he dropped to the 2nd round or trade up if he dropped to the bottom of the 1st  round 

Murray with Barkley, Odell, Engram, Shepherd and the other WR, TE  and FB pieces is about as dynamic an offense that you will find

6 hours ago, monk said:

I think I would take Murray if he was available at 6 ... I would not take Haskins unless he dropped to the 2nd round or trade up if he dropped to the bottom of the 1st  round 

Murray with Barkley, Odell, Engram, Shepherd and the other WR, TE  and FB pieces is about as dynamic an offense that you will find

Haskins isn't falling to the 2nd round 

I have a hard time buying Gettelman, the "hog mollie" lover, taking a 5'9 QB 

1 hour ago, Yenrub said:

Haskins isn't falling to the 2nd round 

I have a hard time buying Gettelman, the "hog mollie" lover, taking a 5'9 QB 

I know that ... but I definitely would not take Haskins with the 6 pick in the draft ... the next opportunity is the 2nd rd or trading up into the 1st round to get him ... I would only consider that if he dropped to the bottom half of the 1st. I'm not big on Haskins and I am not big on drafting a QBs high just because you need one ... I cant think of a time that that has ever worked out for any team. 

I would only take a QB early if I thought that he was a Franchise QB ... otherwise stick with Eli, sign Free agent, or trade for a QB like Flacco. I think Murray could be a Franchise QB like Russel Wilson or like what Mayfield looks like he could be and certainly better than Lamar Jackson. 

Hog Mollie is referring to his Oline ... I don't think he wants a Hog Mollie at QB and the 5' 9" thing is some crazy new rumor that has been started since we heard he will declare for the draft. He's listed at 5'10 - 5'11"

9 hours ago, monk said:

Neither? I don't watch college football, but I am not interested in an extra short QB. I was reading something from a talking head, maybe Kannel?, that was saying the 5-11 is generous as is his playing weight of 195. This screams "too small" to me. I like Haskin's moxie in trying to temp the star players, but I don't think he is a top 10 pick sorta player. Would rather they focus on the lines.