Yenrub

2017 New York football Giants thread

639 posts in this topic

Heard SF may be willing to trade Hyde for a 4th or less. They are not high on him and may even cut him in training camp

Yeah it's worth going on a nice day. When I went a few years ago they had different groups signing autographs each day after the practice... RBs one day Oline men another etc ...  your not that close to the players during the practice but good enough and it's very easy to get in and free

On 7/27/2017 at 9:47 PM, kodycutter said:

Odell wants the $$$

How about you win a playoff game.....

Why do people get upset when players want to get paid?

Sterling Shepherd carted off the field in today's practice

1 hour ago, monk said:

Sterling Shepherd carted off the field in today's practice

Post practice reports are calling it a "basketball type" ankle injury. Not really sure what that means.

Also JPP was held out of practice today. He says it was just a planned day of rest for him, not injury related.

Saw on twitter that OV was working out with younger linemen 25 minutes after practice was over.

4 minutes ago, monk said:

Sounds like Flowers is still struggling.  I wish they would have moved him inside and focused on a LT  

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10386/ereck-flowers

On 8/2/2017 at 6:45 PM, Yenrub said:

Flowers poor technique on display in 1st day of full pads

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/08/giants_lt_ereck_flowers_technique_still_a_concern.html#incart_river_index

Let's hope he can get it straight before camp is over

So frustrating with this guy.  3rd year and still issues with technique. 27 on his Wonderlic.    I don't get what's going on.

From Rotoworld:

Ereck Flowers - T - Giants

ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan reports LT Ereck Flowers had a rough practice on Monday.

Raanan writes Flowers had "five or six awful reps" which "several ex-NFL offensive linemen and some independent offensive line coaches" agreed were "brutal." One of those experts said the session was the, "Worst I’ve seen, period." The practice is not an aberration, either, as Flowers has consistently struggled throughout camp. The Giants bet on Flowers improving this offseason, but it looks like left tackle will once again be a huge area of concern

1 hour ago, RC94 said:

From Rotoworld:

I was really hoping he would show some improvement this year.  Although, early in camp that does not seem to be the case.  Offensive line will be Big Blues kryptonite once again this year.  

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, groin pains said:

I was really hoping he would show some improvement this year.  Although, early in camp that does not seem to be the case.  Offensive line will be Big Blues kryptonite once again this year.  

All those talented skill players on the receiving end and Eli won't be able to get it to them like he should.  With that much talent, if Eli had the time the G-men's Offense would put up big numbers.  A harried Eli is a 25 interception Eli.

While I agree Flowers and the line are an issue ... I don't think they will be any worse than last year. It is the same line returning with another years of experience and with the addition of Fluker who adds great depth and a potential starter. The passing game should be improved with the addition of Engram and Marshall and the protection should be better with Ellison so overall the passing game should be a net improvement over last years 4000 yards and 26 tds ... which is pretty damn good.

The big concern is the running game ... the RBs are arguably the worst in the league and running behind one of the worst Olines in the league which is a recipe for disaster. I have no idea what the Giants are thinking coming into this season with Perkins as the lead back and no experience behind him ... that's really bad!

Some Observations from last nights game.

• OL - The Oline particularly the tackles look terrible ... they need to make some drastic changes ...like moving Flowers inside or to RT.
  • RB - Perkins is not a good runner at all ... even his long run of 16 yards looked accidental. He's straight up with no power and little burst. Gallman looked much better up until he dropped a catchable ball and fumbled. He looks like he could easily add 10-15 pounds to his frame and be a stud.
  • QB - Gino will be the backup ...he actually looked surprisingly sharp but of course threw a bone head int in the red zone
  • Dline - was dominant as expected ...but JPP and Vernon looked particularly dominant  
  • LB - BJ Goodson looks like he could be the best Giant LB in the last 10-15 years  ... had a bull rush sack that was just awesome. blew out  the RB and mauled the QB 
  • TE - Evan Engram looked fantastic ... moves more like a stud receiver than a TE.  Ellison actually muffed quite a few blocks as an H-Back but otherwise looks like a good addition
  •  McAdoo was sporting a new slicked back hair style ... lookin sharp !!
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, monk said:

Some Observations from last nights game.

• OL - The Oline particularly the tackles look terrible ... they need to make some drastic changes ...like moving Flowers inside or to RT.
  • RB - Perkins is not a good runner at all ... even his long run of 16 yards looked accidental. He's straight up with no power and little burst. Gallman looked much better up until he dropped a catchable ball and fumbled. He looks like he could easily add 10-15 pounds to his frame and be a stud.
  • QB - Gino will be the backup ...he actually looked surprisingly sharp but of course threw a bone head int in the red zone
  • Dline - was dominant as expected ...but JPP and Vernon looked particularly dominant  
  • LB - BJ Goodson looks like he could be the best Giant LB in the last 10-15 years  ... had a bull rush sack that was just awesome. blew out  the RB and mauled the QB 
  • TE - Evan Engram looked fantastic ... moves more like a stud receiver than a TE.  Ellison actually muffed quite a few blocks as an H-Back but otherwise looks like a good addition
  •  McAdoo was sporting a new slicked back hair style ... lookin sharp !!

I disagree with your 1st point. The interior line looks like crap, they can't run block worth a damn! Flowers has been ok so far with his pass blocking (he still has a long way to go). I would like to see them try Fluker at RG instead of Jerry

I agree with everything else 

1 person likes this

McAdoo showed a glimpse of creativity putting Engram in the backfield and having him run a route, but otherwise, the offense still looks utterly predictable. On the other hand, the defense looks dominant. Fingers crossed that the offense can achieve average output throughout the year to keep up. A 10-6 finish should get us into the playoffs with a chance to steal a few away playoff games as per our usual. 

1 hour ago, stuckinthemuck said:

McAdoo showed a glimpse of creativity putting Engram in the backfield and having him run a route, but otherwise, the offense still looks utterly predictable. On the other hand, the defense looks dominant. Fingers crossed that the offense can achieve average output throughout the year to keep up. A 10-6 finish should get us into the playoffs with a chance to steal a few away playoff games as per our usual. 

Its preseason. Scheme should be pretty vanilla until the real games start.

If you did not watch this game don't let the score fool you ...it was a completely one sided blowout 29-3 in the first half. The Giants defense is sick !! JP if he stays healthy could be in for a career season. He looks bigger, stronger and faster than last year, understandably so, and at 28 he could be coming into his prime. Landon Collins is all over the place and playing with even more confidence and experience. 

OL - John Jerry was manhandled on play that led to Elis' Int in the red zone. He was pulled for Brett Jones who was a significant improvement especially in the run game ... he may steal the RG spot and backup Center. Flowers had a boneheaded false start but other than that didn't see much from him good or bad. The second O'line was awful. 

RB - Perkins had a couple of very nice runs but doesn't seem to be able to create anything on his own. Once again Gallman looked like the best RB on the team, he had a stretch where every time he touched the ball he looked like he got at least 3 or 4 yards ... he runs hard, creates something out of nothing and he can catch ...also had a nice blitz pickup. 

QB - Contrary to what I read ...Eli Manning looked sharp as hell. He was putting balls in spots where only the WR could catch them and even the incompletions were hitting receivers in the hands despite tight coverages. Aside from the Int that was clearly on Jerry I did not see Eli throw a bad ball. Backup QBs didnt have much of a chance with the 2nd team line being so bad. Davis had a nice scramble a throw to Tye for 18 yds.

Dline - JPP is sick (Saftey, sack and blocked pass) , Snacks was great. The downside - heard Bromley injured his knee but not sure how bad. 

LB - Didn't see much out of the LBs ... Goodson did his thing and Casillas ran down a scrambling QB for a sack.  

TE - Evan Engram was great with 2 receptions for 1st downs and a great seal block that helped Darkwa walk into the end zone for a TD. He did drop 2 or 3 passes in tight coverage that would have been difficult catches.  Ellison didn't do anything, I'm not even sure if he played. rookie Fullback Shane Smith played a similar role and also had a nice block on the Darkwa TD. Howard Cross said that they have been impressed with Smith who was a Linebacker in College.

WRs - rookie Rudolph, Shepard and Lewis were all very good in the absence of OBJ and Marshall. Rudulph reached over the head of a defender to steal a pass that should have easily been intercepted than made a move and took it 50 yards. Lewis dropped a catchable ball that hit him in the hands, again in tight coverage, but made up for it with a 4th and 3 reception to the 1 yard line. Eli threaded 2 defenders on the play and Lewis with great concentration knowing he was going to get hit. 

DBs - Landon Collins with pick 6 and a blocked pass, Janoris jankins rocked a ball lose that Donte Deayon took to the house for another pick 6. Eli Apple got away with a big PI but looks pretty good. He's added like 10lbs of muscle and you can see it ...but I heard he injured his ankle ...dont know the extent of it.

2 people like this

On 8/22/2017 at 7:27 PM, Yenrub said:

I disagree with your 1st point. The interior line looks like crap, they can't run block worth a damn! Flowers has been ok so far with his pass blocking (he still has a long way to go). I would like to see them try Fluker at RG instead of Jerry

I agree with everything else 

I'm with you here.  Flowers was late on a pick-up that led to a sack, but other than that I thought the tackle play was an improvement over last game.  Jerry looked terrible (both pass and run) and it wasn't surprising to see him pulled. I did find it interesting that Jones was pulled for Fluker in the first half while the rest of the 1st string line remained in place.  I guess they wanted Fluker to get some experience with the 1st line, but to have Jones come in and out that quickly was odd.

Does anyone know when the re-air of the Jets game is on NFL network?

21 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

Does anyone know when the re-air of the Jets game is on NFL network?

Today at 4pm I believe.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, monk said:

If you did not watch this game don't let the score fool you ...it was a completely one sided blowout 29-3 in the first half. The Giants defense is sick !! JP if he stays healthy could be in for a career season. He looks bigger, stronger and faster than last year, understandably so, and at 28 he could be coming into his prime. Landon Collins is all over the place and playing with even more confidence and experience.

Contrary to consensus preseason ranking for D/ST, I see a dominant year for NY Giants defense.  They absolutely shredded Jets' offense in 1st half especially upon feasting on Hackenberg's QB competency.  Now they just need to stay healthy throughout season this year and here's hoping that Eli Apple's ankle injury isn't serious. 

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, Aznflyer14 said:

Contrary to consensus preseason ranking for D/ST, I see a dominant year for NY Giants defense.  They absolutely shredded Jets' offense in 1st half especially upon feasting on Hackenberg's QB competency.  Now they just need to stay healthy throughout season this year and here's hoping that Eli Apple's ankle injury isn't serious. 

Giants DEF could be great this year but let's be real - Hackenberg is not worthy of a backup QB spot on most teams so let's not gauge their success against him.

2 hours ago, kentric said:

I'm with you here.  Flowers was late on a pick-up that led to a sack, but other than that I thought the tackle play was an improvement over last game.  Jerry looked terrible (both pass and run) and it wasn't surprising to see him pulled. I did find it interesting that Jones was pulled for Fluker in the first half while the rest of the 1st string line remained in place.  I guess they wanted Fluker to get some experience with the 1st line, but to have Jones come in and out that quickly was odd.

Jones played the rest of the 1st quarter after the John Jerry fiasco then took over center in the 2nd half.

Fluker played the entire 2nd Quarter ... I'm not sure about the second half but either are improvement over Jerry.

Had a chance to check out the replay of the Jets game this afternoon

It goes without saying that the defense looked dominate, sure it was against a bad offense but that is what they are supposed to do to a bad offense.

I liked what I saw from the OL once Jones came in for Jerry. Eli seemed to have plenty of time in the pocket. They were getting chunks of yards in the passing game. The run game was decent too. It was nice to see against a better than average defensive front.

I didn’t like that they had to settle for a FG on the 1st drive that Jones took over at RG. They got down to the 6 and ran three straight shotgun passes. I would have liked to see them try to run the ball at least once down there on that drive. The pass to Rudolph on the drive is probably a TD of that was the bigger Brandon Marshall.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Yenrub said:

Had a chance to check out the replay of the Jets game this afternoon

It goes without saying that the defense looked dominate, sure it was against a bad offense but that is what they are supposed to do to a bad offense.

I liked what I saw from the OL once Jones came in for Jerry. Eli seemed to have plenty of time in the pocket. They were getting chunks of yards in the passing game. The run game was decent too. It was nice to see against a better than average defensive front.

I didn’t like that they had to settle for a FG on the 1st drive that Jones took over at RG. They got down to the 6 and ran three straight shotgun passes. I would have liked to see them try to run the ball at least once down there on that drive.

The pass to Rudolph on the drive is probably a TD of that was the bigger Brandon Marshall.

To me this is going o be the Giants biggest problem with the RBs that they have. I would not feel good at all about giving Perkins Goal line carries. 

The rookie kicker with a clutch 48 yard game winner last night. Seems like a pretty impressive kick under pressure for him.

Also looks like Geno locked up the backup spot

Notables from last night that may have really helped themselves 

• Lacosse (TE)
  • Rudolph (WR)
  • Geno (QB) 
  • Vereen (RB)
  • Darkwa (RB)
  • Rosas (K)  

Giants waived TE Will Tye.

Tye appeared in all 16 games last season, starting 10, and registered a combined 90 catches for 859 yards and four touchdowns over the past two seasons. The Giants made it a point to overhaul their tight end spot this year. Tye couldn't block and provided very little playmaking ability. He was running with the backups all summer and fumbled multiple times in the preseason finale.

Pretty much expected with Engram and Ellison around and Giants high on LaCosse. Jerell Adams isn't the strongest blocker, but Tye makes him look like a wall.

Would love to see them put in a waiver claim for Matt Jones.  Doubt he makes it past Philly or Baltimore though. 

What's up with the D?

I've noticed some buzz here and there.  Homers?

They look sick ! Big play makers and lots of depth ! 3 x pick 6's in last 2 weeks. 

55 minutes ago, monk said:

They look sick ! Big play makers and lots of depth ! 3 x pick 6's in last 2 weeks. 

Worthy of a target to start the season?  and if not, who are you targeting and why?