Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Yenrub

Infinite New York football Giants thread

Saquon Barkley got two and Buck Allen got the last one. It’s been more than eight years since the Giants rushed for three touchdowns in a game. The last time it happened was Oct. 16, 2011, when Ahmad Bradshaw ran for all three – all on 1-yard runs – in a 27-24 victory over the Bills.

Eli's farewell

Shocking.  8 years.....

1 hour ago, kodycutter said:

Saquon Barkley got two and Buck Allen got the last one. It’s been more than eight years since the Giants rushed for three touchdowns in a game. The last time it happened was Oct. 16, 2011, when Ahmad Bradshaw ran for all three – all on 1-yard runs – in a 27-24 victory over the Bills.

Eli's farewell

Shocking.  8 years.....

You think they sit Eli now to keep him at .500?  

30 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Janoris signed with the Saints.    

I knew it wouldn't take long. I thought it would be KC because he knows Spags defense or maybe Min because of Rhodes injury. 

5 hours ago, monk said:

You think they sit Eli now to keep him at .500?  

Ted Williams wouldn’t sit.

Evan Engram to the IR.

Another stellar 1st first round pick from Jerry Reese.....

2015: Ereck Flowers

2016: Eli Apple

2017:  Evan Engram

Field Yates
@FieldYates
·
39s
Total snaps the Giants will have Saquon Barkley, Daniel Jones, Evan Engram, Sterling Shepard, Golden Tate and Darius Slayton on the field at the same time this season: zero. That’s a bummer.

Edited by kodycutter

Link added: How Eli conquered NY

Eli Manning always drank beer on the team bus. It was a Broadway Joe kind of thing to do, and a fact that might run counter to an image Manning spent absolutely no time crafting. But win, lose or draw, Manning would find someone on the road to buy him a six-pack or 12-pack that he would carry to the back of the bus, on ice, and share with some veterans as they discussed the game on the ride to the airport.

Even then, Manning’s consistency stunned his New York Giants teammates. “It was unbelievable,” said Lawrence Tynes, the kicker who won two championships with the quarterback. “He had a guy in every f—ing stadium in the league to get him that beer.” (via ESPN)

Edited by kodycutter
added the link

Looks like we will miss the Chase Young sweepstakes.  

- Need Wash to beat Dallas AND Det to beat GB +  a loss to the Eagles to move up to #2.  Doubtful.   

Best part of the year, at least recently,  coming up for Giant fans.  Appears we will be picking #4 or #5.

-  Thought Okudah (CB OSU) and Simmons (LB/S from Clemson) looked really good last night.    

-   Jeudy will be there, not sure we are in position to draft a #1 WR that high with holes on the OL and D.

-  Need to finish ahead of Miami, in case there is a team that falls in love with Tua, perhaps a trade back for additional picks (but I understand that is not Gettleman's MO).

Hearing Shurmur will be fired,  Gettleman's status still unclear.

1 hour ago, monk said:

Lions playing great and up by 14 over GB ...Go Lions !!!!

Well, kind of knew that was coming...

If NYG beat PHI, NYG pick 4th.

If NYG lose to PHI and WAS loses, NYG pick 4th.

If NYG lose to PHI and WAS wins, NYG pick 3rd

Top of the draft should be interesting, could envision trade down scenarios from the Skins, Lions or Giants to one of the teams 5-7.   I think the Lions are in the prime spot here but too early to tell.

1. Burrow

2. Skins - probably Chase Young

3. Lions - don't see them taking a QB

4. Giants

5. Dolphins - could be looking for a QB

6. Chargers - could be looking for a QB

7. Panthers - could be looking for a QB

Guess the firings come first...

Edited by kodycutter

Giants fired coach Pat Shurmur.

An accomplished coordinator, Shurmur hasn't measured up at either of his two head-coaching stops, going just 9-23 during his two-year tenure with the Browns before missing the playoffs in each of his two seasons with New York. As of yesterday, Giants ownership was still "split" on whether to bring back Shurmur for another season, but apparently Sunday's season-ending loss to Philadelphia was enough to tip the scales. Shurmur coaxed a strong debut season out of Saquon Barkley in 2018 and admirably pulled the plug on Eli Manning in favor of rookie Daniel Jones this past season, but nine wins in two seasons won't cut it in the Big Apple. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport hears GM Dave Gettleman is safe, at least for now. The Giants' next coach will be their third in five seasons.

The Iggles game was the nail in the coffin, dude is such a bad play-caller as a head coach. Kudos for the Giants pulling the trigger, James Bechter should be next and hopefully Giants switch to a 4-3.

Edited by The Frankman

Giants need to get Matt Rhule, he insists on hiring his own staff which means cleaning house. He's rehabilitated two college programs into Bowl contenders and is a Tom Coughlin disciple.

Giants interception leaders this year:

Jenkins - 4

Ryan Connelly - 2,   Ryan played 4 games this year before going on IR

4 others with 1 each.

:yucky:

3 minutes ago, RC94 said:

Disappointed that they kept Gettleman.  

He's on the hot seat though. Mara said he needs to "improve his batting average".

6 minutes ago, RC94 said:

Disappointed that they kept Gettleman.  

Agreed - my hope is that this is a signal that Mara et al are open to embracing a younger coach, and perhaps even dare I say a little more of the analytics.  

Keeping Gettleman may appear to run counter to that, but a guy with little or no recent NFL experience might best be served with a seasoned GM, and perhaps mesh the old school with newer approaches. Plus you’d want the institutional knowledge in the personnel level.

Hey, it’s a rationalization :oldunsure: 

On 12/30/2019 at 7:40 PM, Koya said:

Agreed - my hope is that this is a signal that Mara et al are open to embracing a younger coach, and perhaps even dare I say a little more of the analytics.  

Keeping Gettleman may appear to run counter to that, but a guy with little or no recent NFL experience might best be served with a seasoned GM, and perhaps mesh the old school with newer approaches. Plus you’d want the institutional knowledge in the personnel level.

Hey, it’s a rationalization :oldunsure: 

He hired 4 computer guys so the analytics piece is in place 🤣

How do they not fire him after that press conference?  It gives you all the coverage you need... the guys a proven liar.  He said he was incorporating analytics all season and admitted he just started as some job saving measure.

2 hours ago, Yenrub said:

He hired 4 computer guys so the analytics piece is in place 🤣

OMG I saw that.  🤦🏻‍♂️ 

They bought software guys. Software. Everyone needs to back off. 

You guys have to just find that presser and watch the whole thing its absolutely unreal.  Props for his career, and for dealing with cancer, but a 70 year old guy, who's been through the ringer health wise and seems abrasive, to be kind, as a person to work with, should not be heading this team up any more as I can't possibly see him incorporating the contributions of that who he deals with as "computer guys" with any seriousness.  He's made quite clear he's a "gut" guy.

Its hard to complain as a Giants fan, I think only the pats have more titles in the past 35 years or so, but they have been half measures my whole life,  from the Tim and Wellington battles, to the split ownership, keeping coughlin but firing gilbride.  They did make one big bold move, they traded up for Eli and it worked.  But we are still at it with Shurmur going and Gettleman, who's clearly out of his depth, staying.  

Go get Louis Riddick and hopefully bring us into the 2020's.    Gettleman is building a running and run stuffing team.  This team would win a bowl in 1981 not 2021.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

I don't care if you hire an offensive-minded or defensive-minded head coach...but the coordinators in those positions must be guys who can address the talent deficiencies and scheme to the strengths of the personnel.

The new coaching has to be able to adapt to the talent around them. For example: Get guys like Saquon Barkley out in space any way possible (Line him as a WR, run more screens, go 2 RBs like Cleveland did). It was so bad my brother, a former HS/college RB and scheme reader, called every single Saquon Barkley run either up the middle or to the left/right correctly in the Iggles game. If he could do that, what could NFL defensive coordinators and play who are paid millions do? It was painful watching Saquon have no chance. That's the big reason I like Matt Rhule as a hire: he's rebuilt two programs from the ground up and turned them into successful ones. He'd bring his guys on the Giants and clean house, leaving Gettleman with much less power than before. Mike McCarthy would be another good hire as he'd bring in his staff, who I may add is a lot more analytically inclined now than in Green Bay.

On defense, go to a 4-3 and emphasize the ends. Giants don't have good LBs and Ogletree can't cover at all. It sounds like they will retain Bechter for now but if they hire a coach with GM power (Rhule, McDaniels, McCarthy) Bechter is gone.

Edited by The Frankman

1 hour ago, Smack Tripper said:

You guys have to just find that presser and watch the whole thing its absolutely unreal.  Props for his career, and for dealing with cancer, but a 70 year old guy, who's been through the ringer health wise and seems abrasive, to be kind, as a person to work with, should not be heading this team up any more as I can't possibly see him incorporating the contributions of that who he deals with as "computer guys" with any seriousness.  He's made quite clear he's a "gut" guy.

Its hard to complain as a Giants fan, I think only the pats have more titles in the past 35 years or so, but they have been half measures my whole life,  from the Tim and Wellington battles, to the split ownership, keeping coughlin but firing gilbride.  They did make one big bold move, they traded up for Eli and it worked.  But we are still at it with Shurmur going and Gettleman, who's clearly out of his depth, staying.  

Go get Louis Riddick and hopefully bring us into the 2020's.    Gettleman is building a running and run stuffing team.  This team would win a bowl in 1981 not 2021.

That presser was not good, not good at all.   That inspired no confidence, what prospective HC wants to come into this mess?

My confidence in what has for the most part been a stellar organization is at an all time low (was not fan/aware enough back before the Parcells run, so from day mid 1980’s on)

13 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

That presser was not good, not good at all.   That inspired no confidence, what prospective HC wants to come into this mess?

Thats my big concern, is Matt Rhule gonna jump in the passenger seat with Gettleman.  Mara had no reason to endorse him before that press conference, but he has no choice but to can him now.  Lets face it, he's an awful owner with no instinct, the sole default is trying to project an image of stability but there's multiple on the record reports of their main motivation to action being what demented nitwits call WFAN

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Art Stapleton @art_stapleton

Interviews lining up for #NYG:
Kris Richard, Thursday
Eric Bieniemy, Saturday
Don "Wink" Martindale, Saturday (per @PSchrags)

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Giants are set to interview former #Packers coach Mike McCarthy later this week. With him interviewing with the #Browns tomorrow, that likely means Friday with NYG. He’s already met twice with the #Panthers.

Rhule declined meeting with the Browns.

Edited by kodycutter

Posted (edited)

It's Rule or nothing right now!

I dont believe McCarthy would be much better than any of the recent clown shows that weve been watching.

I'm not impressed that he only appeared in and won 1 superball throughout his career with Farve and Aaron Rodgers as his QBs and was eliminated 8 of 9 times in the post season.

He was also involved in a lot of controversy with the Packers for the way he handled the Favre/Rodgers situation and was criticized for conservative play calling in big situations that eventually cost him his play calling duties. 

He has also been pretty bad with the RBs/Running game throughout his carreer .... the last thing in the world we need is someone who is not going to get the best out of Saquan  

Oh and he spawned Ben McAdoo

Edited by monk

Can someone explain why Rhule is seen as the savior?

I’m not saying the guy cannot be successful but when I look at his resume, I only see one year of NFL experience.

I see he did well at Temple and Baylor but the American Conference and the Big 12 ain’t the NFL

41 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

I’m not saying the guy cannot be successful but when I look at his resume, I only see one year of NFL experience.

I see he did well at Temple and Baylor but the American Conference and the Big 12 ain’t the NFL

Those were two programs in the Toilet that he turned around in short order,  temple right back to the crapper when he left so there’s hope he can be a motivator I think, that’s what I’m banking on.

i think these milenials are a different lot and you see a trend in all sports to put the communication first.  The giants, even when edging toward updated concepts, seem to like the impression of the “old school” type, in mcadoo and shurmur.  I’d like to roll the dice with some new thinking and new blood

1 hour ago, Yenrub said:

Because He Rhules !!!!!

55 minutes ago, Smack Tripper said:

Those were two programs in the Toilet that he turned around in short order,  temple right back to the crapper when he left so there’s hope he can be a motivator I think, that’s what I’m banking on.

i think these milenials are a different lot and you see a trend in all sports to put the communication first.  The giants, even when edging toward updated concepts, seem to like the impression of the “old school” type, in mcadoo and shurmur.  I’d like to roll the dice with some new thinking and new blood

Temple just 4 wins the season before he got there but the 3 seasons before that they won 9,8 and 9 games.

Baylor 7 wins the season before he got there but the 3 seasons before that they won 11, 11 and 10 games.

Again I’m not saying he can’t or won’t be a good coach, I just don’t see SAVIOR

2 hours ago, Yenrub said:

Temple just 4 wins the season before he got there but the 3 seasons before that they won 9,8 and 9 games.

Baylor 7 wins the season before he got there but the 3 seasons before that they won 11, 11 and 10 games.

Again I’m not saying he can’t or won’t be a good coach, I just don’t see SAVIOR

He "changed the culture" and infrastructure of both organizations, usually taking some of his staff with him. Giants arguably need a ripjob of their infrastructure and to be brought up to modern times. Rhule would also want some power, and that means less for Gettleman.

I like McCarthy because if you have followed him since he was fired, he has openly admitted he has made mistakes and has actively tried to learn from them, including incorporating analytics and player trends into his coaching style. He's not afraid of change and is working on improving his style of coaching and aligning himself with newer philosophies. Also, McCarthy runs a West Coast offense and to me that would be something Jones could excel at; quicker reads and more high percentage throws with more emphasis on getting guys out on space/screens.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Frankman said:

He "changed the culture" and infrastructure of both organizations, usually taking some of his staff with him. Giants arguably need a ripjob of their infrastructure and to be brought up to modern times. Rhule would also want some power, and that means less for Gettleman.

I like McCarthy because if you have followed him since he was fired, he has openly admitted he has made mistakes and has actively tried to learn from them, including incorporating analytics and player trends into his coaching style. He's not afraid of change and is working on improving his style of coaching and aligning himself with newer philosophies. Also, McCarthy runs a West Coast offense and to me that would be something Jones could excel at; quicker reads and more high percentage throws with more emphasis on getting guys out on space/screens.

Thanks for that article. it was a good read! 

• Like 1

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Giants have 2 interviews set for today: #Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy & #Ravens DC Wink Martindale, who hopes to replicate Bill Parcells path: Ex-LB coach, 2 years as DC, then HC of the Giants. Martindale has helped build a culture around that defense & players swear by him.  

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

#Ravens DC Don “Wink” Martindale is emerging as a top candidate as the coaching carousel spins, and his top choice of OC is a fascinating one. Sources say Martindale would be paired with #LSU wunderkind Joe Brady who set the field ablaze against Oklahoma.

Wink/Brady combo is intriguing.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
2m
#Baylor head coach Matt Rhule has a big week ahead in the NFL world: He’s scheduled to interview with the #Panthers on Monday, I’m told.

He has the #Giants this week, as well, and that is expected to be Tuesday. Will the coveted candidate leave college football?

The New York Post's Paul Schwartz reports the Giants will consider Jason Garrett for their head-coaching vacancy if things "go sour" with Matt Rhule.

The Giants (including co-owner Steve Tisch) are set to interview Rhule, who has shown "mutual interest" in joining their organization, on Tuesday. Schwartz adds that Garrett is their fallback option "only if things go sour" with the current Baylor coach. Garrett hasn't been linked to any other team since initially "allowing" the Cowboys to fire him, but settling into the NFC East with one of the youngest teams in the league makes sense given his lengthy tenure as a former head coach. Rhule already interviewed with the Panthers on Monday, but the Giants' head coaching job seems to be his to lose barring an unexpected turn.

:unsure:

I don't know why, and I could be dreaming, but I'd take Garrett if Moore comes with him in a heartbeat. 

wow - I thought Rhule to the Giants was a done deal....they dont even get an interview....it's clear that Gettleman scaring away top candidates.  

• Like 1

Apparantly Rhule is finalizing his contract with the Panthers. Does that leave the Giants with......Garrett? (if so, so sorry for you guys)

5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I don't know why, and I could be dreaming, but I'd take Garrett if Moore comes with him in a heartbeat. 

I think McCarthy is going to keep Moore.

The Giants biggest issue is the owner. 

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter

New York Giants are finalizing a deal to make Patriots’ wide receivers coach Joe Judge their next head coach, league sources tell ESPN. Deal was in the works as of last night, which is another reason Matt Rhule took the Panthers’ HC job.

11:13 AM - Jan 7, 2020

Joe. Judge.  Don't know enough about him to have an opinion.