Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Yenrub

Infinite New York football Giants thread

On 1/8/2020 at 2:00 PM, kodycutter said:

9 potential assistant coach candidates

It's a slideshow, so I will just list them out:

OC:  Jason Garrett, Jay Gruden, Norv Turner, Joe Brady, 

OL coach: Bill Callahan   (anyone, I mean anyone is an improvement over Hal Hunter)

DC: Wade Phillips, Rod Marinelli, Kris Richard

Special Teams: Thomas McGaughey (would be retaining him).

On 1/15/2020 at 2:26 PM, kodycutter said:

@RVacchianoSNY: A name I've heared increasingly mentioned in connection with the Giants: Bill Callahan.

He worked under Garrett in Dallas from 2012-14 as OC and OL coach. Hiring Garrett as OC and Callahan as OL coach would be quite a coup for first-year coach Joe Judge, if it's possible.

Bill Callahan is one of the very best offensive line coaches ever. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Bill Callahan is one of the very best offensive line coaches ever. 

I would love if this happened.  But would be happy with anyone over the current guy (Hal Hunter).    I'm just hoping Tom Quinn didn't give Hal the incriminating Mara photos he must have had that kept him the Giants special teams coach for 10 years.     Tell me, has anyone ever said....damn that NYG special teams are game changers?  (rhetorical).

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1218967120752652288

Chris Mortensen‏Verified account @mortreport

With no on-field coaching spot on Mike McCarthy's @dallascowboys staff, sources say Jason Witten hasn't ruled out playing in '20, and not to rule out reunion w new @Giants OC Jason Garrett. Of Witten's 16 games, his most productive game was vs. Giants.

Mort... you're drunk. STAPH IT. Giants have Engram, Kaden Smith (who flashed as a player coming from SF), and Rhett Ellison as a blocking TE. No room for Witten.

Edited by The Frankman

Not sure why any team would want Witten at this point, unless you want a really slow TE who should have stay retired. 

1 hour ago, The Frankman said:

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1218967120752652288

Mort... you're drunk. STAPH IT. Giants have Engram, Kaden Smith (who flashed as a player coming from SF), and Rhett Ellison as a blocking TE. No room for Witten.

TE coach that suits up when, not if, but when Engram starts missing games next year.

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

Not sure why any team would want Witten at this point, unless you want a really slow TE who should have stay retired. 

Just to make sure he stays out of the booth?

• Like 1

Dan Graziano
@DanGrazianoESPN

Source says Giants will interview Dave DeGuglielmo for their OL coach job. Was on Patriots staff with Joe Judge 2014-15.

Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan

DeGuglielmo spent time with the Giants from 2004-08. Return could be on the horizon. Also likely signals Bill Callahan is headed elsewhere.

9 hours ago, kodycutter said:

Dan Graziano
@DanGrazianoESPN

Source says Giants will interview Dave DeGuglielmo for their OL coach job. Was on Patriots staff with Joe Judge 2014-15.

Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan

DeGuglielmo spent time with the Giants from 2004-08. Return could be on the horizon. Also likely signals Bill Callahan is headed elsewhere.

Looks like Callahan is headed to Cleveland 

Former Browns coach Freddie Kitchens is expected to be hired by the Giants.

It's unclear what his defined role will be, but it will presumably be as a positional coach under OC Jason Garrett. Kitchens and coach Joe Judge have worked together previously at Mississippi State and Kitchens' experience as an NFL head coach is likely viewed as a big plus for Judge, who is making a big leap into head coaching. Kitchens hasn't been considered for notable jobs since his Cleveland firing, so it's likely that the two parties come to an agreement soon. Judge, Garrett, and Kitchens all being on the same coaching staff is a treat for us all.

LOL Giants have two of the best "Terrible As A Head Coach But Fine As A Coordinator" coordinators in the league.

Edited by The Frankman

The Giants also are hiring Jody Wright, Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports reports.

Wright spent last season with Kitchens in Cleveland.

Wright worked as the offensive line and assistant head coach at the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 2018. He spent much of his coaching career at the University of Alabama, serving as director of player personnel from 2015-17 and as graduate assistant/offensive analyst from 2010-12.

Judge was with the Crimson Tide from 2009-11.

Current Giants' Assistant Coaches:

Offensive coordinator — Jason Garrett
Defensive coordinator/assistant head coach — Patrick Graham
Special teams coordinator — Thomas McGaughey
Offensive line
Running backs — Burton Burns [reported]
Tight ends
Wide receivers — Tyke Tolbert [reported]
Quarterbacks — Jerry Schuplinski [reported]
Defensive line
Linebackers
Defensive backs — Jerome Henderson [reported]
Special teams assistant — Tom Quinn
Defensive assistant [role not yet known] — Bret Bielema [reported]
Offensive assistant [role not yet known] — Jody Wright [reported]

2 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Offensive line
Tight ends
Defensive line
Linebackers

Too much Cleveland and Miami trash ... I don't like that  

Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman reports the Giants are expected to hire ex-Browns coach Freddie Kitchens as their new TE coach.

This hire has been expected for roughly a week, but the specifics of the move were unclear. Kitchens will work alongside OC Jason Garrett under head coach Joe Judge, who worked with the former Browns head coach at Mississippi State. Evan Engram is certainly talented enough to take another step forward in 2020, although this is a crowded passing game with plenty of uncertainty entering next season.

Odd... TE coach? I did hear on other forums he did a lot of work with Njoku, some with RSJ. Huhn...

Updated List

On 1/24/2020 at 1:09 PM, The Frankman said:

Offensive line — Marc Colombo [reported, not official]
Tight ends — Freddie Kitchens [reported]
Defensive line
Linebackers

11 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

Odd... TE coach? I did hear on other forums he did a lot of work with Njoku, some with RSJ. Huhn...

Updated List

Not so odd. Kitchens was a TE coach from 2007 to 2012 before becoming a QB coach and then RB coach. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dhockster said:

Not so odd. Kitchens was a TE coach from 2007 to 2012 before becoming a QB coach and then RB coach. 

That's what I mean though. I'd think he could sign to be an offensive coordinator with any team if he wanted; going back to a TE coach seems like a step back to me.

Joe Judge has reportedly added another piece to his coaching staff, as he is expected to bring Tennessee inside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator Kevin Sherrer to the Giants, according to Patrick Brown of GoVols247.

Brown is reporting that Sherrer will become the new inside linebackers coach in New York.

Judge and Sherrer have been together on a coaching staff in the past, having spent two years together at Alabama under Nick Saban in 2010 and 2011. Judge served as a special teams assistant for Saban, while Sherrer was the director of player personnel.

Link - https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/tennessee-linebackers-coach-special-teams-coordinator-kevin-sherrer-joining-giants-staff-report/312550804

Defensive line
Linebackers — Kevin Sherrer [reported, not official]

Edited by The Frankman

That's what I mean though. I'd think he could sign to be an offensive coordinator with any team if he wanted; going back to a TE coach seems like a step back to me.

Link - https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/tennessee-linebackers-coach-special-teams-coordinator-kevin-sherrer-joining-giants-staff-report/312550804

Defensive line
Linebackers — Kevin Sherrer [reported, not official]

I think he did fine as a play caller in 2018 because it was his first year with a rookie QB and opposing coaches didn't know necessarily what he was going to do. Based on some of his gaffs in 2019 and that his offense underacheived in 2019, I think most teams probably view position coach as the right level of coaching for Kitchens.

ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan included LB Alec Ogletree in his list of "likely" offseason cuts.

Ogletree has underachieved since joining the Giants in 2018 including this past season when he garnered PFF's No. 38 grade out of 58 positional qualifiers at inside linebacker. Cutting Ogletree would leave behind $6.7 million in dead money but would also save New York $5.05 million against the cap. In addition to Ogletree, Raanan also expects the Giants to move on from LB Kareem Martin, S Antoine Bethea and TE Rhett Ellison

I'm trying to think if any of these are controversial... and they really aren't. Maybe have a slight issue with Ellison but it looks like Giants like Kaden's Smith's blocking enough to keep him.

5 hours ago, The Frankman said:

I'm trying to think if any of these are controversial... and they really aren't. Maybe have a slight issue with Ellison but it looks like Giants like Kaden's Smith's blocking enough to keep him.

Theres' a very Good Podcast regarding this ... 5 Steps to create $24 million in Cap Space 

The majority of it by getting rid of these 4 and it would put the Giants over $80m in cap space.  None of these guys made positive contributions and at least 2 of them could be replace with younger better players with just the $24m saved leaving the Giants with over $60m in cap space 

With that cap ... I'd like them to sign

• Conklin RT or Scherf (If he could Play either OT) 
  • Edge Rusher (Fowler or Collins or JPP)
  • MLB (Littleton or Shobert)
  • S (Simmons, Harris or McCourty) 
  • Resign ...  Leonard Williams 

Then Draft in the 1st 3 rounds 

• Simmons MLB 
  • LT 
  • Center 

20 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

I think adding Conklin, McGovern and Van Noy would be good at the right price.  Even if they do that, I wouldn't mind seeing them draft a LT to replace Solder at some point.  Trading Solder would be great, but I would be surprised if anyone wants his contract.

Gettleman backed himself into a corner with Williams.  Trading away 3rd and 5th round picks was really bad at the time.  He seems to feel obligated to resign him, but that would be throwing good money after bad.  I would like to see them trade down with a team that wants a QB and add more picks.  Also, I think they can find a similar value player at OL or defense a little later in the 1st. 

On 2/8/2020 at 6:13 PM, RC94 said:

I think adding Conklin, McGovern and Van Noy would be good at the right price.  Even if they do that, I wouldn't mind seeing them draft a LT to replace Solder at some point.  Trading Solder would be great, but I would be surprised if anyone wants his contract.

Gettleman backed himself into a corner with Williams.  Trading away 3rd and 5th round picks was really bad at the time.  He seems to feel obligated to resign him, but that would be throwing good money after bad.  I would like to see them trade down with a team that wants a QB and add more picks.  Also, I think they can find a similar value player at OL or defense a little later in the 1st. 

I'm not sold on Van Noy ... He's going to be 29 and seems more like a system player to me ... he sucked on Detroit and he's been good not great on NE

Williams is a better player than you think ...  he's great against the run and made the Giants run d much better and he pressures the QB the problem is he did not get sacks ...that could change with a legit Edge Rusher.  He's Younger than Armstead and untill this season was a much better player than Armstead who most people feel was aided by the addition of Bosa. 

Giants should not resign Golden. He is another system player and will command more money then more talented players because of his sack totals 

Edited by monk
  • Like 1

Peter King's Football Morning In America

8. I think this is my Football Story of the Week: Darryl Slater of NJ Advance Media wonders if Giants co-owner John Mara has lost his touch when it comes to franchise architecture. Writes Slater:

“As other front offices get younger—the Browns just hired 32-year-old Andrew Berry as general manager—the Giants are a home office for old-school football: Mara is 65. Co-owner Steve Tisch, who says he will become more involved in football decisions, is 70. General manager Dave Gettleman is 68. And Accorsi, who is one of Mara’s most trusted advisers, is 78. So while some say the NFL has passed him by, Mara insists those years have made him better. He believes he fully understands where he went wrong, and how to not repeat those mistakes. He has made changes to his strategies for the Giants’ major decisions, like assessing potential draft picks and determining how much patience to show with a head coach and general manager.”

9. I think my biggest issue with the Giants in 2020 is that if they’re anything less than a rising 7-9 or 8-8 team by season’s end, Mara is going to have to fire Gettleman. And that means hiring a new GM and forcing an arranged marriage between a neophyte head coach and whoever the GM is. If they’d made a clean sweep (as unfair as it might have been with the Giants’ usually patient front-office approach) and fired the coach and GM, then they’d have gone into 2020 with a fresh look on the coaching staff and the football ops side. Hiring a new GM in 11 months could make the franchise sputter in 2021 as well. Mara had better hope the defense shows signs of life this fall so Daniel Jones in a new offense doesn’t have to score in the thirties to win consistently

Ogletree and Martin cut. All signs point to Ellison staying (Scott Simonson was cut) for now since he's the best blocking TE on the roster. Bethea is up in the air.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:49 PM, The Frankman said:

Ogletree and Martin cut. All signs point to Ellison staying (Scott Simonson was cut) for now since he's the best blocking TE on the roster. Bethea is up in the air.

Thought I read Ellsion is considering Retirement 

2 minutes ago, monk said:

Thought I read Ellsion is considering Retirement 

Yeah that came a day later. Giants might actually have to draft a blocking TE or go out in the market.

After watching the combine here is my draft preference ...

Simmons  - Freak ! What a great fit he would be for the Soft over the middle Giants! A LB/S who covers like a corner ... I would actually consider him over Chase Young and sign a veteran edge guy

Wills -  Good size and Great Athleticism ... unbelievable feet in the Drills ... I just wish he was a LT though - Rather see the Giants take Simmons and sign a RT  ... He will be a a stud a day 1 starter 

Wirfs - Great Build and Athleticism ... lit it up at the combine ... Doesn't look as natural  as Wills in the drills ... He will also be a a stud a day 1 starter 

I want one of these 3 or Chase Young if they don't trade back ... if they trade back with the Phins (for example)  it's conceivable that they end up with Simmons and a Top 4 OT  (Thomas and Becton being the other 2 )

Posted (edited)

That is a good move... moving fast before Jones blew up the market was big.

Giants agreed to terms with CB James Bradberry, formerly of the Panthers, on a three-year, $45 million contract.

Bradberry, 27 in August, was regarded as the top free-agent corner along with Byron Jones. In New York, he links back up with GM Dave Gettleman, who drafted him in Carolina, and gives the Giants a new No. 1 corner after Janoris Jenkins was traded to the Saint last season. Bradberry is long and lanky at 6'1/212 with loads of experience covering No. 1 wideouts in the NFC South. He and 2019 first-rounder DeAndre Baker will be the Giants' starting corners.

Best thing is he essentially replaces Beal as the tall CB and slots Baker as the #2 CB. Beal and Ballentine can battle it out for the 3rd CB/slot guy. I like the Mayo move also, if the Giants were to get Clowney ... man I think I'd start to get excited.

Edited by The Frankman

That is a good move... moving fast before Jones blew up the market was big.

Best thing is he essentially replaces Beal as the tall CB and slots Baker as the #2 CB. Beal and Ballentine can battle it out for the 3rd CB/slot guy. I like the Mayo move also, if the Giants were to get Clowney ... man I think I'd start to get excited.

I dont like this at all ... It's another overpaid Gettleman former draft pick  ... This is complete crap

According to PFF 

Bradberry is one of the biggest “buyer beware” free agents this year. Bradberry has failed to eclipse a 65.0 coverage grade in each of the last three seasons, and he was 62nd at his position in terms of PFF WAR last year. 

Giants signed LB Blake Martinez, formerly of the Packers, to a three-year, $30 million contract.

Martinez was reportedly seeking $10 million annually and Giants GM Dave Gettleman was more than happy to oblige. The 26-year-old has started 61-of-64 games since joining the Packers as a fourth-round selection in 2016, garnering Pro Football Focus' No. 36 coverage grade among 99 qualified linebackers just last year. He's the second big free agent splash for the Giants since the legal tampering window opened Monday afternoon, joining ex-Panthers CB James Bradberry on that side of the ball.

Better than Ogletree.

7 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Better than Ogletree.

Hate to say it but this is another crap move ... Giants are cloning below avg talent LBs !!!!!!! Martinez, Mayo and Connelly ... all 6' 2" 240 white 4-5th round talent, nonathletic LBs ??? WTF 

Giants have now invested $25m per year and I'm not sure they have even improved ... they could have had Conklin plus Martinez for the price.  Byron Jones went for 16.5 vs Bradberry 15.0 ... Are you kidding me ?????????

Giants sign TE Levine Toilolo ... he caught 100% of his targets last season !!  Yep he caught both of them ! 

Pro Football Focus ranked the 6'8" 268lb Toilolo as the 26th-best run blocking TE in the league in 2019 ... Now I'm really confused

2nd Stanford signing as Giants continue to target Smart - Non athletic players

10 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Better than Ogletree.

Is he?

Everything I have read about Martinez is that he sucks in coverage. Allegedly passer rating against him in coverage is over 100. 73% competition at 9 yards per catch. 

https://twitter.com/VinceRapisardi/status/1239778147299659776?s=20

Also Littleton signed for just 1.7m per year more. I would have much rather had him.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1239951844975263747?s=20

A lot of the Martinez stuff that he sucks in coverage was from last year though. In past years he's been fine, could be injuries or scheme-related downturn. Giants betting it's an outlier.

Posted (edited)

This is ####### horrible ... keeping Gettleman on just one more year looks like it is going to end up being a disaster! This moron saved himself $3.5 million by signing 2 avg to below avg players ... when he could have had the 2 highest rated free agents at their respective positions. Now I know PFF isn't everything but this seems to be the shared opinion throughout sports media channels  and I certainly value PFF's opinion over Gettleman 

• Blake Martinez PFF rating 58.7 - $10m 
  • Cory Littleton PFF rating 78.9 -  $11.75m 
  • Kyle Van Noy - PFF raing 83.5 - $12.75m

• James Bradberry PFF rating 61.0 - $15m 
  • Byron Jones PFF rating 76.1 - $16.5m

Conklin PFF raing - 78.0 Could have been had for $14m  ... I would take that over either of our Below Average Joe signings 

Edited by monk

16 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

A lot of the Martinez stuff that he sucks in coverage was from last year though. In past years he's been fine, could be injuries or scheme-related downturn. Giants betting it's an outlier.

His pass coverage went up to OK  this season and his run defense down to pathetic 

• OVERALL 58.7
  • RUN DEFENSE 47.0
  • COVERAGE 64.1

Potential New York Giants-Jadeveon Clowney deal is ‘not happening’ (Report)

27 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1240020412165226497

Guy kinda was on the upswing before he got hurt, average player looking to rebound value on a prove-it deal.

Hey what do you know ... the Giants signed an average White LBer ... I didn't think there were any left !

Potential New York Giants-Jadeveon Clowney deal is ‘not happening’ (Report) ... Instead they will focus on resigning Golden at 2/3 price and half the talent 

https://elitesportsny.com/2020/03/17/new-york-giants-news-a-potential-deal-for-jadeveon-clowney-is-not-happening/

Clowney - OVERALL 87.3 / RUN DEFENSE 80.8 / PASS RUSH 79.1 

Golden  -  OVERALL 60.3 / RUN DEFENSE 62.8 / PASS RUSH 63.0 

Leonard Floyd and Devon Kennard are both available and both better than anything that the Giants have signed at LBer ... go get em 

Nice cheap options

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
·
48s
No surprise here, but the Giants won't exercise the option on safety Antoine Bethea's contract for 2020, per source. This will free up $3M in cap space and leave no dead money.