What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (3 Viewers)

I've given up trying to predict the outcome this year. Maybe I'll just try for the reverse jinx. Was expecting the Giants to get lit up this week. I was stunned pretty much the enitre game.

Why did it take soooo long for McAdont to delegate the play calling. It was a long time coming and what a breath of fresh air. No stupid 50 yard pass plays on 3-1, everything was contained and on point. Hell, they actually ran the ball when they were trying to kill clock. The Oline actually looked good at times, and that stunningly even includes Flowers. A shame it took this long into the season. 

If you would have told me they'd look like chumps vs the Chargers but like a real functioning dangerous team vs the Broncos I would have laughed at you.

IrishTwinkie said:
I've given up trying to predict the outcome this year. Maybe I'll just try for the reverse jinx. Was expecting the Giants to get lit up this week. I was stunned pretty much the enitre game.

Why did it take soooo long for McAdont to delegate the play calling. It was a long time coming and what a breath of fresh air. No stupid 50 yard pass plays on 3-1, everything was contained and on point. Hell, they actually ran the ball when they were trying to kill clock. The Oline actually looked good at times, and that stunningly even includes Flowers. A shame it took this long into the season. 

If you would have told me they'd look like chumps vs the Chargers but like a real functioning dangerous team vs the Broncos I would have laughed at you.
I saw something on twitter from Collingsworth stating that Flowers has been pretty good this season per the PFF grading system, something like a top 13 LT (don't really remember the number) 

Here is the tweet. 

https://twitter.com/CollinsworthPFF/status/918210434938884096

They said since week 1 he is the 13th rated tackle in pass protection 
That's.. a little misleading because the Giants started mass changes to fix the line starting Week 4. More Brett Jones (due to injury), more DJ Fluker, and shifting Pugh everywhere. Like I mentioned in the NYG@DEN game thread, having Flowers and Jerry on 1 side allows them to send the help on that side. They have enough confidence in Jones (Richburg when he comes back)/Fluker/Pugh that they won't get roadgrazed, and in turn Flowers is steadily improving. 

His man is getting chipped and doubled whenever possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting tweets, call it The Sullivan Effect:

https://twitter.com/PFF_Smith/status/919922631423303680?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigblueview.com%2F2017%2F10%2F16%2F16482964%2Fthe-sully-effect-seismic-shift-in-personnel-deployment-by-giants

https://twitter.com/PFF_Smith/status/919927851666804737

That move away from McAdoo’s favored ‘11’ personnel, three wide receivers and one running back, to ‘12’ personnel, two tight ends, two wide receivers and one running back, is striking.

Considering the losses of Odell Beckham Jr., Sterling Shepard, Brandon Marshall and Dwayne Harris at wide receiver it may have happened even with McAdoo calling the plays. If you believe the head coach had nothing to do with the game plan and hadn’t signed off on, or perhaps even suggested, the change in approach you’re fooling yourself.

The change allows the Giants to get Rhett Ellison (35 snaps, 64.8 percent of the offensive plays) on the field more often. That helps the run game, helps the Giants protect the edges in the passing game and allows them the freedom to get Evan Engram in the slot or out wide on occasion.

Even when Shepard returns from his ankle injury, which might happen this week against the Seattle Seahawks, a reliance on ‘12’ personnel could still be the Giants best option. It allows them to get Ellison’s blocking and experience on the field more often and provides the ability to be less predictable in how they employ Engram, their best remaining weapon in the passing game.
Basically if you're an Evan Engram owner, you are loving this.

Just caught up with the Reese ByeWeek Press Conference stuff. I can't tell if he is that delusional or just trying to deflect until he can leave the room. On one hand, he says its all on him. The right after that he is throwing coaches and players under the bus. Then he talks up some of the worst players on the team. I am unconvinced he has any idea how to fix the team at this point. ugh. What a crappy year.

Multiple players told ESPN's Josina Anderson the team has given up on coach Ben McAdoo.

"Guys are giving up on the season, just don't care anymore. McAdoo has lost this team...Throws us under the bus all the time. Runs us into the ground and people wonder why we’ve been getting got." This comes after speculation players quit on McAdoo during Sunday’s 51-17 loss to the Rams. McAdoo was forced to give up playcalling after Week 6 and has been criticized for suspending Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Janoris Jenkins. Despite being a year removed from the playoffs, the Giants have been a 2017 disaster and could be forced to make changes after the season.
I mean... Giants fans kinda knew this but to hear it like this. McAdoo gotta go and Reese right behind him.

Many of the Giants players should be ashamed of the performance they put on yesterday.  The Jackrabbit played like someone had cut off his foot for luck.  No luck if you get this guy's foot.  He played as Walt Frazier would say, "Matador Defense".  It was embarrassing to watch.  

On a positive note, the upcoming draft should guarantee the Giants a quality pick.

There are at least 3 solid QBs in this draft (assuming Darnold comes out) ... Luv to see the Giants get the #1 overall and have the option to trade down.

• McGlinchey
  • Barkley
  • or QB
Giants were foolish to not shop Eli at the trade deadline with Webb on board and a QB loaded draft ahead.

Worst Giants team in my 30 years watching, so it's been a good run. For Browns fans this is how things are all the time. Hopefully they bring in some quality personnel after cleaning house and we can climb the mountain again. I would love to see them deal Eli and get a top QB in the draft. That's never a sure thing but it's guaranteed mediocrity if you don't try. 

McGarnicle said:
Worst Giants team in my 30 years watching, so it's been a good run. For Browns fans this is how things are all the time. Hopefully they bring in some quality personnel after cleaning house and we can climb the mountain again. I would love to see them deal Eli and get a top QB in the draft. That's never a sure thing but it's guaranteed mediocrity if you don't try. 
Okay, worse coach: Handley or McAdoo?

Will the Giants D please decide if they are quitting on the season in advance or do they want to play? That KC game was the perfect example of why I thought there was no way they finish 1-15/3-13 like some people have thrown around: when healthy and when they give a s*it their secondary/front 4 are too good. Eli did JUST ENOUGH what he used to be great at; making marginal talent around him look awesome given time. Darkwa ran hard and with purpose behind a suddenly effective enough Run Blocking line. RLJr. and Tavarres King flashed their talent, as did Travis Rudolph. And WELCOME BACK TO THE NFL Janoris Jenkins, you can't tell me did didn't mail it @SF after the effort he showed this week.

Will the Giants D please decide if they are quitting on the season in advance or do they want to play? That KC game was the perfect example of why I thought there was no way they finish 1-15/3-13 like some people have thrown around: when healthy and when they give a s*it their secondary/front 4 are too good. Eli did JUST ENOUGH what he used to be great at; making marginal talent around him look awesome given time. Darkwa ran hard and with purpose behind a suddenly effective enough Run Blocking line. RLJr. and Tavarres King flashed their talent, as did Travis Rudolph. And WELCOME BACK TO THE NFL Janoris Jenkins, you can't tell me did didn't mail it @SF after the effort he showed this week.
He is a hell of a QB and it will be difficult to replace him.  I sure wish he had more of a touch on short passes to his RBs.  Seems he's always throwing at their feet.

He is a hell of a QB and it will be difficult to replace him.  I sure wish he had more of a touch on short passes to his RBs.  Seems he's always throwing at their feet.
Disagree with this ... Eli will be fairly easy to replace. The terrible throws to his RBs are inexcusable ... I watched college QBs making much much better throws to their RBs all weekend. Eli does not throw a good ball, does not extend plays and is not athletic enough to overcome his weaknesses.  He barely completed 50% of his passes this week and barely threw for 200 yards with 0 TDs ... His WRs also made some pretty incredible catches to boost those #s. Not sure why the all of sudden Eli luv ... it's time to find his replacement. 

I also dont get the Janoris Jenkins hate ... this hole team quit last week including Collins, Apple (as usual), and Castillas (who is just a horrible player) but Jenkins was the scape goat for some reason. 

Wheeler looked pretty damn good at RT ... he had a couple of crushing blocks on the TD drive including the Darkwa TD run

What the F were they even thinking? They're blowing their chance at a good draft pick, and to potentially set up the franchise for years into the future, to win a dumb meaningless game in a year they're not going anywhere. Awful. 
Tankathon. They cannot afford to win anymore after that blunder. There's only so many seats at the table and they are at seat 3. The top 4 are all QB needy right now unless Garropolo is the answer....which they don't even know for sure.

Disagree with this ... Eli will be fairly easy to replace. The terrible throws to his RBs are inexcusable ... I watched college QBs making much much better throws to their RBs all weekend. Eli does not throw a good ball, does not extend plays and is not athletic enough to overcome his weaknesses.  He barely completed 50% of his passes this week and barely threw for 200 yards with 0 TDs ... His WRs also made some pretty incredible catches to boost those #s. Not sure why the all of sudden Eli luv ... it's time to find his replacement. 

I also dont get the Janoris Jenkins hate ... this hole team quit last week including Collins, Apple (as usual), and Castillas (who is just a horrible player) but Jenkins was the scape goat for some reason. 

Wheeler looked pretty damn good at RT ... he had a couple of crushing blocks on the TD drive including the Darkwa TD run
You'll see when Eli retires how good he really was.  Yes, he overthrows people and has difficulty with short passes, but he also makes some excellent middle-length passes and has a knack for getting out of potential sacks (surprising considering what looks like lumbering movements).  

As to the Jenkins hate, not sure you saw the prior game, but it was pretty evident that his effort level was very low.  He can argue it was just a "bad game", but it was him not giving a ####.  

Agree that Wheeler was a pleasant surprise.  The Giants game planned well with support from TEs on his side.

What the F were they even thinking? They're blowing their chance at a good draft pick, and to potentially set up the franchise for years into the future, to win a dumb meaningless game in a year they're not going anywhere. Awful. 
I also was hoping they would lose the game in OT.  With all the abuse the Giants D (on lack of effort) received over the week, it was nice to see the D bring it.  

I am sure most fans have mixed feeling on this.  The practical/calculating side want the team to tank and go 2-14, but the emotional side wants to watch them win.

Walking Boot said:
:goodposting:  

Not sure how 8-8 is any different than 1-15 to a Giants fan. Why am I getting excited to watch a team that I know isn't going anywhere? They've won two super bowls in the past decade and the QB is on his way out. Tank for the draft pick. 

You'll see when Eli retires how good he really was.  Yes, he overthrows people and has difficulty with short passes, but he also makes some excellent middle-length passes and has a knack for getting out of potential sacks (surprising considering what looks like lumbering movements).  

As to the Jenkins hate, not sure you saw the prior game, but it was pretty evident that his effort level was very low.  He can argue it was just a "bad game", but it was him not giving a ####.  

Agree that Wheeler was a pleasant surprise.  The Giants game planned well with support from TEs on his side.
Not saying Jenkins wasn't dogging it ... But Collins was missing tackles and getting roasted deep regularly,  The Captain (what a joke that is) Castillas basically jogged along side of a player before deciding it wasn't worth the effort to try to tackle him, Eli Apple hasn't made a decent effort this season, and Eli manning until yesterday looked like had had retired. 

In the beginning of the season Jenkins was rock solid ... he kicked Dez's ### 1 on 1 and was their best corner for most of the season.

Not saying Jenkins wasn't dogging it ... But Collins was missing tackles and getting roasted deep regularly,  The Captain (what a joke that is) Castillas basically jogged along side of a player before deciding it wasn't worth the effort to try to tackle him, Eli Apple hasn't made a decent effort this season, and Eli manning until yesterday looked like had had retired. 

In the beginning of the season Jenkins was rock solid ... he kicked Dez's ### 1 on 1 and was their best corner for most of the season.
Eli Apple's effort isn't an issue... he's just been flat out BAD. The situation with his mom has played a factor also.

This saddens me greatly. I would have preferred that Eli had been traded to the Jaguars earlier this year than get benched for Geno Smith. It is not even a strategic move to see what Davis Webb has. Eli is the only Giants QB my son has ever known. We will always have his two SB wins. R.I.P. Eli. 

Mike Lupica with a nice article: http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/mc-spt-nfl-eli-manning-lupica-20171128-story.html

Mike LupicaOf The New York Daily News (TNS)

What you don't want is for this season to end for Eli Manning, one of the great Giants of them all, the way Y.A. Tittle's career effectively ended a long time ago, with Tittle on his knees at old Pitt Stadium, helmet off, blood coming down his face from a cut on his forehead, the moment captured by Morris Berman of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in September of 1964. The Giants were nothing that year, too, what became the last year of Tittle's career, the way they have been nothing this year.

At least Eli is still standing. For now.

He is largely defenseless in an offense that now scores touchdowns less frequently than Premier League soccer teams score goals. He has little protection. So often he has no one to whom he can throw the ball with any confidence, with what confidence he has left. More and more you think he has no future here, and start to hope that the Giants trade him after this season, maybe even to the Broncos who, let's face it, have won with an aging Manning as their quarterback before.

Actually one of the ironies of this season, after all the consecutive games for Eli Manning, with the two Super Bowls he has in the books, is that this is the kind of lost season, and bad team, that only another member of his family can understand: His father, Archie.

He was the one whose prime in New Orleans was informed by teams like this Giants team, and the reason why he spent so much of his prime on his back.

The only bright spot lately, at least before another unwatchable game on Thanksgiving Night against Washington, was in overtime last Sunday at MetLife, when Eli took the Giants down the field the way he used to, and even made a big fourth-down throw, and the Giants ended up kicking a field goal to beat the first-place Chiefs.

You are allowed to call for the Giants to start playing one of his backups. But if you think as limited an offense as there has been in Giants history, as limited as any bad offense you saw in the 1970s, the last time we saw a Giants season like this, then you are watching the wrong movie.

Eli gets dragged down along with everything else, because of injuries to his best wide receivers and because of an offensive line that the general manager, Jerry Reese, stubbornly refused to improve between last season and this; an offensive line we're supposed to cheer now because, hey, they're not letting Eli get hurried and surrounded and put down the way they were earlier in the season.

There has been the suggestion, all over town, that somehow his declining skills have put the Giants into a tough situation the way Derek Jeter's declining skills once did to the Yankees. Sure they have. No kidding, why wouldn't Eli be able to show how much he has left without wide receivers or protection, and with the current Giants running game, something else we're supposed to cheer every time somebody almost accidentally ends up in the open field?

Through it all, Manning is better than his circumstances. He does not complain, or point fingers. He continues to put a lot of this on himself. He just continues to hand the ball off, and then throw on third-and-long as the defense comes for him again. In a season as disappointing as any the Giants have ever had, he now gets dragged down, literally and figuratively, along with everything else. The only way things get better, if he stays, is if someone else is the general manager of this team next year, and somebody else is coaching it, and somebody else is calling the plays.

The Giants have two wins so far. That is two more than the Browns. But they are as unwatchable as the Browns are, week to week. The game on Thanksgiving Night was as much of a slog as anything we have witnessed this season. So now, through 11 games, Manning has thrown just 14 touchdown passes, against seven interceptions, for just over 2400 passing yards. And if you're one who buys into the notion that he's washed up at 36, ask yourself how the Packers would look if they'd had Eli after Aaron Rodgers got hurt. Ask yourself how the season would have played out for the Houston Texans after Deshaun Watson's knee exploded.

“Everybody's to blame,” he said the other day.

He is stand-up to the end, as much as he keeps getting knocked down.

He was a month past his 31st birthday when he won his second Super Bowl against the Patriots in Indianapolis. Since then the Giants have had two winning seasons, and a regular-season record of 41-50, and an overall record of 41-51 if you count the one postseason game they've played since Indy, last January against the Packers.

Now they are where they are, at 2-9, and against Washington on Thanksgiving Night, according to my friend Michael Wilbon, they looked like a soccer team, which ought to be relegated. Eli is the one who has been relegated. To a team like this and a season like this. Maybe they really should get him out of there, so he doesn't end up like the great Y.A. Tittle.

The Giants have benched Eli Manning for Week 13.

Stunningly, hilariously, bafflingly, they are turning to Geno Smith. Third-rounder Davis Webb will also be given playing time down the stretch of the Giants' lost season. The team apparently gave Manning the option of starting Sunday's game before giving away to Smith, but he declined. Manning has made 210 consecutive starts, the second longest streak in NFL history behind only Brett Favre's 297. The streak started on Nov. 21, 2004. We can't pretend Manning has been great this season, but he's also been the least of the Giants' massive problems. The defense has regressed, the receiver corps has been hollowed out by injury and the running game is close to nonexistent. Manning probably deserved the right to play out the season. It's also embarrassing Manning has been benched for Smith, a proven failed option at quarterback. Webb at least offers unknown, theoretical upside. One month shy of his 37th birthday, Manning will be playing elsewhere if he continues his career in 2018.
YOU ARE F*CKING SH*TTING ME. Eli being class all the way, didn't want to continue his streak getting ceremonial starts and just asked to be benched outright. McAddo and Reese need to be fired.

I hope he never plays again. Good riddance. 
That's a clown comment, bro. Dude is ticketed to the HoF and made the most of a team with no O-Line to speak of, a terrible GM the last 2 years and outside of OBJr., inconsistent WR play. Whatever issues you had with him, he isn't the reason the Giants have failed the last 2 seasons. If you don't like him because you don't like him, that's your business. But to hope he doesn't play again is something even a rival team wouldn't wish on the opposition's player.

Geno Smith has been named the Giants' starting quarterback for Week 13 against the Raiders.

This is not a drill. Eli Manning has been benched after 210 consecutive starts. The owner of a career 72.3 QB rating, Smith is a turnover machine like few in recent memory. He is returning to the fold in a golden matchup with the Raiders' barely-there defense. There's close to zero reason to believe Smith has any untapped upside, but perhaps coach Ben McAdoo wants to give Webb a week or two to mentally prepare. Webb was never overly impressive at Texas Tech or Cal, but is a plus athlete. He struggled with ball placement, something that's going to be an issue in the Giants' talent-less offense. Although this move signals the G-Men are moving on from Manning after the season, we wouldn't consider Webb a particularly strong candidate to be the 2018 starter.
It sounds like they want Webb to get starters' reps in practice for a week or two, then turn to him. This smells like a McAdoo move, I don't see Reese doing this in a lame duck year. 

Life long Giants fan who loves Eli Manning and always will.  I get he has his haters.  That's fine.  To each his own.  I love the guy.

This stinks 10 ways from Sunday.  For Davis I could see, but Geno?  This is a joke.  I will just consider my real football season over, wait until they fire everyone here from the top down, and come back next training camp.

Life long Giants fan who loves Eli Manning and always will.  I get he has his haters.  That's fine.  To each his own.  I love the guy.

This stinks 10 ways from Sunday.  For Davis I could see, but Geno?  This is a joke.  I will just consider my real football season over, wait until they fire everyone here from the top down, and come back next training camp.
Life long Giants fan here as well.  I get your point re Geno, but i presume the same thing would be occurring if it were for Webb, and Eli's response would be the same.  

Do you blame the team for saying they were going to mix in the younger guys?  

Life long Giants fan here as well.  I get your point re Geno, but i presume the same thing would be occurring if it were for Webb, and Eli's response would be the same.  

Do you blame the team for saying they were going to mix in the younger guys?  
I would be disappointed if it was Webb, but not pissed.  Eli's response would be the same.  My team's GM and head coach are seriously trying to tell me that they want to see what they have in Geno Smith.  

That sentence irks me more than almost any other sentence you could write.  About any topic.  I mean, look, I'll try....

Donald Trump is smart....... nope the Geno thing is worse.

Gal Gadot won't take your calls....... Geno still worse.

Joe Bryant sold footballguys to Otis.......... well........ nope, no, Geno still worse.

That's tremendous disrespect to a franchise guy and a QB who brought 2 Super Bowl rings to the team. That whole front office and coaching staff is a clown show right now.

I would be disappointed if it was Webb, but not pissed.  Eli's response would be the same.  My team's GM and head coach are seriously trying to tell me that they want to see what they have in Geno Smith.  

That sentence irks me more than almost any other sentence you could write.  About any topic.  I mean, look, I'll try....

Donald Trump is smart....... nope the Geno thing is worse.

Gal Gadot won't take your calls....... Geno still worse.

Joe Bryant sold footballguys to Otis.......... well........ nope, no, Geno still worse.
As one related point, isn't it a bit ironic that Eli was "mixed in" as a rookie to replace Warner on a winning team?

Eli Manning deserves better than these Giants. Jerry Reese runs the franchise into the ground and now embarrasses an all-time franchise great with "we need to evaluate." Clean house.

Dan Graziano, ESPN Staff Writer

As one related point, isn't it a bit ironic that Eli was "mixed in" as a rookie to replace Warner on a winning team?
True. Fair.  Counterpoint....

... Geno Smith.  (Watch him throw 5 TD's this week and look like Russell Wilson with Tom Brady's brain.) (That would be funny.)

"Geno Smith gives us the best chance to win this week". Get the #### out of here. Reese and McAdoo can't go soon enough. Ernie Accorsi needs to come back.

Again to be clear, it's not that Eli is being benched; Giants fans know Webb was going to play at some point this year. But this dumb moron of a coach literally went to him and said "We are benching you for Geno Smith". WHAT THE ####?

They could've had Eli play and then next week when Webb is ready play him, but nawwwwwwwwww we need to #### with our vet QB and play Geno ####### Smith's bum ### because he gives the Giants "the best chance to win".

You know what gives them the best chance to win? Healthy wide receivers and a ####### offensive line that can protect a QB for 3-4 seconds. Heck, I'll take a league average running game. I don't like to take shots at people, I have posted on this forum for a long time. But this legit makes me so ####### angry.

Insein said:
Benched? Really? That's how Eli's streak goes down?

How is McAdoo not already fired?
One of the most classless things I can remember. It's an ugly business, but this is bad for even the NFL. Awful people in charge up there. 

The Frankman said:
I cannot believe that is true. Ownership was literally built due to Eli Manning... It's one thing for McAdoo/Reese, but Mara family? I can't believe that.
Just read McAdoo's statement.  He said it was discussed with ownership.  You would expect that ownership would be involved in such a decision, but this franchise has alway had a reputation for class and stability.  This runs counter to both of those.

Users who are viewing this thread