What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (5 Viewers)

I've come across some write-ups about how many starters the Giants have that were drafted by Reese. The numbers were terrible. He was living off FA signings. I'll try to find the article. My biggest issue with him was his inability or unwillingness to address the LB core or the OLine. He just seemed blind to the need. Seemed to want to build the team from the outside in, which I always hated.

ETA: Here are two of the links:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/45849/a-stunning-stat-on-how-bad-the-giants-are-at-the-draft

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/01/the_research_jerry_reese_wanted_it_and_the_giants.html

There is another that lists the starters that were drafted by current team. Still looking for that one. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just plain dumb!

I get that Reese hasn’t a good job the last 5 years but this narrative that the Supebowls are all Ernie is just plan dumb!

You claim to be a fan of the team but don’t know #### about the history.

Here is starting lineup for the 2011 Superbowl (per profootball reference)

Eli - 2004

Bradshaw – drafted by Reese in 2007

Hynoski – drafted by Reese in 2011

Nicks – drafted by Reese in 2009

Cruz – Signed by Reese in 2010

Ballard – Drafted by Reese in 2010

Deihl - 2003

Boothe – Free agent signing by Reese in 2007

Baas - Free agent signing by Reese in 2011

Snee - 2004

McKenzie – free agent in 2005

7 of the 11 offensive starters were either drafted by Reese or signed as a free agent under him

Tuck - 2005

Linval – drafted by Reese in 2010

Canty - Free agent signing by Reese in 2009

JPP - Drafted by Reese in 2010

Blackburn - 2005

Boley - Free agent signing by Reese in 2009

Webster - 2005

A Ross - drafted by Reese in 2007

Kenny Phillips - Drafted by Reese in 2008

Rolle - Free agent signing by Reese in 2010

D Grant - Free agent signing by Reese in 2010

8 of the 11 defensive starters were either drafted by Reese or signed as a free agent under him

That’s 15 of 22 starters acquired under Reese
*Not Giving any credit to Reese since Accorsi was there and these moves uncharacteristic of Reese 

The core of the Oline and most core players in general were pre-Reese

• Eli - 2004
  • Bradshaw – drafted by Accorsi in 2007
  • Hynoski – drafted by Reese in 2011
  • Nicks – drafted by Reese in 2009
  • Cruz – Signed by Reese in 2010
  • Ballard – Drafted by Reese in 2010
  • Deihl - 2003
  • Boothe – Free agent signing by Reese in 2007
  • Baas - Free agent signing by Reese in 2011
  • Snee - 2004
  • McKenzie – free agent in 2005
7 of the 11 offensive starters were either drafted by Reese or signed as a free agent under him

• Tuck - 2005 Kiwi ? Osi?
  • Linval – drafted by Reese in 2010
  • Canty - Free agent signing by Reese in 2009
  • JPP - Drafted by Reese in 2010 
  • Blackburn - 2005
  • Boley - Free agent signing by Reese in 2009
  • Webster - 2005
  • A Ross - drafted by Accorsi in 2007
  • Kenny Phillips - Drafted by Reese in 2008
  • Rolle - Free agent signing by Reese in 2010
  • D Grant - Free agent signing by Reese in 2010

I don't understand the point to going back to Eli as the starter.  They already ended his games started streak, they are out of the playoff hunt, and they haven't evaluated the young QBs.  Yet another move that makes no sense.

I don't understand the point to going back to Eli as the starter.  They already ended his games started streak, they are out of the playoff hunt, and they haven't evaluated the young QBs.  Yet another move that makes no sense.
Webb isn't ready. Remember, he needed a week or two of increased reps in practice (which they just started last week). So at least Eli starts for now and at some point they put in Webb down the line. Personally, I think they'll draft a QB.

Webb isn't ready. Remember, he needed a week or two of increased reps in practice (which they just started last week). So at least Eli starts for now and at some point they put in Webb down the line. Personally, I think they'll draft a QB.
One of the most damning things I read was that Webb saw zero time in the pre-season games and hasn't taken a first team snap in practice all season long. And didn't take any last week either. I don't care where you think your situation is with QB, you have to be getting all your QBs on the roster first team snaps. I am not saying they take the majority, but not a single one? And then you need to "evaluate your roster"? What the heck were you doing up to this point? Just from the fact he didn't take any first team snaps I am not sure Webb is ready at all. I wonder if we'll see him at all.

As far as starting Eli? I think you have to. Is it a PR move? Yes, in part it is. But did Smith do anything better? Not in my eyes. And then to add the dig to Rex? Just throwing fuel into the fire. Do I think Spags is motivated to tighten his grip on the job? Yes I am sure he is. Calming the masses, settling the ship and eeking out a win would be a great start for him. I think it is reasonable to assume that Spags sees nothing but upside with the Manning start. I would love to hear reports about how he sat down with Manning and devised a plan to get Webb some live fire snaps sometime in the rest of the season. I think the face of the franchise deserves some say in that.

So does the team come out fired up for Eli and a new coach or more of the same? Think I’m plugging Shepard in not sure how to feel about it. 

GoBirds said:
So does the team come out fired up for Eli and a new coach or more of the same? Think I’m plugging Shepard in not sure how to feel about it. 
Bet the Ranch on the Giants to win this week ... it sux because they are going to screw up their draft position but it's inevitable!!

New coach fired up for a 2nd opportunity to make a name for himself , Eli fired up to be back and the Giants rallying to support Eli ... Unfortunately the Giants will win easily this week!!

Right now, the Giants can with the next two games and wind up with at worst the fifth pick (not sure of tie-breakers with Chicago/Houston).  If they lose one of the next two games they are guaranteed at least the third pick (not sure of tie-breaker with Indy).  If they lose both, they are guaranteed the second pick.  

Congrats on your lack of effort guys.  You will end up with a pretty solid QB choice (or, trade down and get multiple picks).  

And Eli starts week 17. How does this go from ownership wanting to see what they have in Davis Webb the last few weeks (for good reason) to him not starting a game all season?

Nevermind, I’ll tell you how. You let the fans, current & former NFL players, NFL analysts, NFL commentators, & Twitter posts dictate your course of action as an organization.

I’ve never seen a team bend over like the Giants because they feared “repercussions” of sitting an aging & deteriorating sub-par QB. Even after the owner & interim GM said they’d like to see Webb.

Nope. Let’s keep playing good ol’ Eli. What a joke.

Spags, LOL.

I give Reeses Pieces a break on drafting o-line as its hard to do. Dallas got very lucky with theirs. I do not give him a pass in not addressing it at all in FA. Too many teams have and we have seen results in Minn, LAR, etc.

I think its a mistake not seeing Webb more, with the 2nd pick what do they do? Draft a QB, Draft other position, trade the pick? 

The Giants are currently in disarray then I can remember, there is no clear voice/direction. They can win now and be set up for the future, They can do either or both. Right now they are listless and lets hope they get some direction.

One thing is for certain- Dallas and Philadelphia both have good o-lines and the QB situation addressed.

I give Reeses Pieces a break on drafting o-line as its hard to do. Dallas got very lucky with theirs. I do not give him a pass in not addressing it at all in FA. Too many teams have and we have seen results in Minn, LAR, etc.

I think its a mistake not seeing Webb more, with the 2nd pick what do they do? Draft a QB, Draft other position, trade the pick? 

The Giants are currently in disarray then I can remember, there is no clear voice/direction. They can win now and be set up for the future, They can do either or both. Right now they are listless and lets hope they get some direction.

One thing is for certain- Dallas and Philadelphia both have good o-lines and the QB situation addressed.
I think they are going to go QB at #2 (assuming Sam Darnold & Josh Rosen both come out)

I think I prefer Darnold over Rosen due to mobility but if they both come out I don’t see the Browns taken Rosen at #1 since he has come out and said he doesn’t want to play there.

bigupsetter said:

What? Giants passed up the Following Olineman in recent drafts and made no effort to move up to grab all-pro lineman who went just a couple of picks before them.

• 2017 - Ryan Ramczyk, Cam Robinson (Garett Bolles went 3 picks before) 
  • 2016 - Larry Tunsil,  Taylor Decker (Took Eli Apple @ 10 instead) (Jack Conklin went 2 pick before)
  • 2015 - Drafted Flowers 9th (Gurley went 10th) (Sherff went 5th) La'el Collins was available every round and as an undrafted Free Agent 
  • 2014 - Drafted Odell 12th passed on Zack Martin (all-Pro rookie) (Jake Matthews went 6th , Taylor Lewan went 1 pick before and Aaron Donald 1 pick after) 
  • 2013 - Drafted Pugh - Kyle Long went next pick
So theoretically the Giants could have had Gurley running behind possibly the best Oline in the NFL 

What? Giants passed up the Following Olineman in recent drafts and made no effort to move up to grab all-pro lineman who went just a couple of picks before them.

• 2016 - Larry Tunsil,  Taylor Decker (Took Eli Apple @ 10 instead) (Jack Conklin went 2 pick before)
  • 2015 - Drafted Flowers 9th (Gurley went 10th) (Sherff went 5th) La'el Collins was available every round and as an undrafted Free Agent 
  • 2014 - Drafted Odell 12th passed on Zack Martin (all-Pro rookie) (Jake Matthews went 6th , Taylor Lewan went 1 pick before and Aaron Donald 1 pick after) 
So theoretically the Giants could have had Gurley running behind possibly the best Oline in the NFL 
That line wouldn’t be as good as you think it would be

Here are the current PFF grades for some of the guys you listed

Tunsil – 59.5

Collins – 51.9

Ryan Ramczyk 82.7

Cam Robinson – 38.9

Long – 73.0

Flowers – 51.0

I agree with could've, should've. They did not though, and I can name more busts at the positions than you can name hits. The real sin, is doling nothing when your job is only to make the team better. For some reason, some wrong reason, he thought this line was good as is- huge mistake. As one example, he could have gotten Whitworth, din't thought he was too old. Whats worse, they focus on the defense and grab  some FA help a year ago which shows some willingness. That willingness did not carry over to the o-line a year later. Contradictory to what they said, win one more they said. oh, they got Fluker. Would Coughlin have been accepting of this o-line, probably not. Personally, I would have been screaming from rooftops that we have old immobile QB and running game is o-line dependent. Reese probably wouldn't have listened, lol. Accorsi should feel disgraced he picked Reese

That line wouldn’t be as good as you think it would be

Here are the current PFF grades for some of the guys you listed

Tunsil – 59.5

Collins – 51.9

Ryan Ramczyk 82.7

Cam Robinson – 38.9

Long – 73.0

Flowers – 51.0
Well Yeah if you replace Martin with Cam Robinson who is a rookie LT ... otherwise every single one of them is better than Flowers

Ramczyk, Martin, and Long are 3 pro bowlers Tunsil is only in his 2nd season, has moved around a lot and is still significantly better than Flowers  

• LT Ramczyk  82.7 vs. Flowers 51.0
  • LG Long 73.0 vs Pugh  52.4
  • RG Martin 90.5 vs John Jerry 72.6
  • RT Tunsil 59.5 or  Collins – 51.9 or  Cam Robinson – 38.9 vs Bobby Hart 37.7

Well Yeah if you replace Martin with Cam Robinson who is a rookie LT ... otherwise every single one of them is better than Flowers

Ramczyk, Martin, and Long are 3 pro bowlers Tunsil is only in his 2nd season, has moved around a lot and is still significantly better than Flowers  

• LT Ramczyk  82.7 vs. Flowers 51.0
  • LG Long 73.0 vs Pugh  52.4
  • RG Martin 90.5 vs John Jerry 72.6
  • RT Tunsil 59.5 or  Collins – 51.9 or  Cam Robinson – 38.9 vs Bobby Hart 37.7
Yeah I’m guessing every team in the league would be good if they knew who would pan out.

I agree with could've, should've. They did not though, and I can name more busts at the positions than you can name hits. The real sin, is doling nothing when your job is only to make the team better. For some reason, some wrong reason, he thought this line was good as is- huge mistake. As one example, he could have gotten Whitworth, din't thought he was too old. Whats worse, they focus on the defense and grab  some FA help a year ago which shows some willingness. That willingness did not carry over to the o-line a year later. Contradictory to what they said, win one more they said. oh, they got Fluker. Would Coughlin have been accepting of this o-line, probably not. Personally, I would have been screaming from rooftops that we have old immobile QB and running game is o-line dependent. Reese probably wouldn't have listened, lol. Accorsi should feel disgraced he picked Reese
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  

Why? You realize that they managed to win 2 Super Bowls while Reese was the GM right?

Why? You realize that they managed to win 2 Super Bowls while Reese was the GM right?
First SB, he didn't draft the players. So I'll give him 2nd. He saw the D wasn't performing, went out and got a D in FA market. He didn't do a thing to improve o-line. Detroit, Minnesota, LAR address it, he does nothing. Point is, he could have. HE could have went and taken care of it, he chose not to- to me speaks volumes. It's not what you do in the course of doing what you are supposed to, it whats you dont do. Eagles went out got a RB to make a push this year. When panthers went to SB they got other players. 

This line has gotten worse, and is not a new problem. If your plan is to build around Eli and make another push- then why doesnt he fix the o-line. Eli isnt Wilson or Rodgers that can make things happen on the run. I'm sorry, but his legacy won't be the SB victories, it'll be broken o-line that he didnt fix by choice and how bad this possible good team is. I bet new GM fixes line and we r not talking about it next year. 

First SB, he didn't draft the players. So I'll give him 2nd. He saw the D wasn't performing, went out and got a D in FA market. He didn't do a thing to improve o-line. Detroit, Minnesota, LAR address it, he does nothing. Point is, he could have. HE could have went and taken care of it, he chose not to- to me speaks volumes. It's not what you do in the course of doing what you are supposed to, it whats you dont do. Eagles went out got a RB to make a push this year. When panthers went to SB they got other players. 

This line has gotten worse, and is not a new problem. If your plan is to build around Eli and make another push- then why doesnt he fix the o-line. Eli isnt Wilson or Rodgers that can make things happen on the run. I'm sorry, but his legacy won't be the SB victories, it'll be broken o-line that he didnt fix by choice and how bad this possible good team is. I bet new GM fixes line and we r not talking about it next year. 
Agree to disagree on the legacy thing

Sure today all people think about are the OL issues but 10 years from now it will the 2 Super Bowls

Look at Accorsi as an example. He is practically revered now as a Giants legend

He was the GM from 1998 to 2007 not exactly glory years for the Giants. Not terrible but not great either 

I hope they cut Flowers and he can't find another sucker to pay him in the NFL.  Same with Hart.  From Rotoworld:

Ereck Flowers - T - Giants

NJ Advance Media's Dan Duggan reports Ereck Flowers (groin, questionable) will not play Week 17.

Rookie Chad Wheeler will get the start at left tackle. Flowers is listed as questionable with a groin injury, but this seems to be a benching for a player ESPN's Jordan Raanan described as "totally checked out." In fact, both Flowers and since-waived Bobby Hart reportedly refused to play in the season finale. Not nearly talented enough to be a locker room headache, new GM Dave Gettleman will almost certainly replace Flowers this offseason.

I think they are going to go QB at #2 (assuming Sam Darnold & Josh Rosen both come out)

I think I prefer Darnold over Rosen due to mobility but if they both come out I don’t see the Browns taken Rosen at #1 since he has come out and said he doesn’t want to play there.
Here's a thought, what if Gettleman waits to see what opportunities arise and THEN decides whether to draft a QB or trade down? The MO for this team has been decide way in advance for every single move, telegraph it to every other team so they can pick you off/trade up ahead of you. It's time for a little bit of deception and keeping cards close to the vest for a change. The same mentality has often infected play calling over the years. Why is it so hard for the Giants to surprise their opponents? Is it the way ownership sees the world that influences the decision-making up and down the organization?

Busy Saturday:

1) #NYGiants GM Dave Gettleman dismisses VP of Player Evaluation Marc Ross.

2) Bobby Hart being waived

Geoff Schwartz:

Gettleman isn’t playing. Clearing out locker room cancers. ??. Made it easy for him when Hart came into the facility this week and told the staff he wasn’t playing this week. ?. Nice try. Hopefully Gettleman continues to rid that OL room of guys who bring it down

3) Jordan Raanan (ESPN reporter covering the NYG).

"Ereck Flowers did the same, per source. One player told me during the week Hart/Flowers were basically already packed and ready for the season to end. Totally checked out."

What a train wreck this season is/was.  

Agree to disagree on the legacy thing

Sure today all people think about are the OL issues but 10 years from now it will the 2 Super Bowls

Look at Accorsi as an example. He is practically revered now as a Giants legend

He was the GM from 1998 to 2007 not exactly glory years for the Giants. Not terrible but not great either 
You are prob right as far as legacy, my thoughts on legacy are probably peppered with dumpster fire of a season. Was Accorsi who picked Reese over Gettleman as his replacement, got Gettleman Carolina gig and probably new Giants gig too. Gettleman wasted no words on day 1, he obviously has to address o-line. Day 3 he cuts Hart. Probably won't cut Flowers, Giants seem to like him, his size, his age, so he will move him to right side. I think he's done more in less than a week on this line than Reese did in year

Would you please stop with that ... Everyone in the world knows that Accorsi was kept on as a consultant in Reese's first season.

It's not a coincidence that Reese's first draft was one of if not his best. Outside of a few 1st and 2nd round picks ... Reese's drafts have absolutely sucked.

And I am not giving Reese any credit for his attempt at fixing the D last year. That was done only cause Mara put his foot down and demanded action. I feel the damage to the roster was already very large and the same sort of action needed to happen on O this year. But Reese went inert again.

Really surprised Gettleman didn't step in this week & force Spags to play Webb. Maybe he didn't want to step on toes so quickly, but the owner wanted to see Webb. It absolutely was the right thing to do. As much as Eli has done for that organization, nobody deserves the right to start. Countless better players have been benched for poor play, to make way for a prospect, etc., as they get old & deteriorate.

Their best move would be to go OL or D at 2, IMO. I like Webb & I'm afraid of Darnold. No to Barkley, as well. Drafting a RB that high is plain stupid. I don't care who it is. If the landscape changes & there comes a day you can't get a Pro Bowl-type RB on day-2, then maybe you do it. Until then, trust your scouting department to find the numerous hidden gems at that position. It's been proven over & over & over again you can get an outstanding RB later in the draft.

The fact that Webb could not even suit up until the last game of the season and did not get on the field for 1 play is very concerning to me. Passing on a Franchise QB for Webb could have catastrophic results.

Giants need picks ... they need to address O'line and Future QB equally bad.

• Trade the 2nd pick of the draft to the Bills for there 2 x 1st rd picks this season (likely mid 20s) and the and their 1st next season
  • Hope that Bortles cost the Jags an early playoff exit ... so that we we can trade Eli to the Jags for their 1st (mid to late 20's) worst case 2nd rd pick
  • Trade Odell to the Browns for their #4 pick in the draft
With their 4 picks in the 1st round Go after a QB, RB, 2 O'Linemen

• Oline - McGlinchey or Quenton Nelson and Orlando Brown
  • QB - Mayfield or Mason Rudolph,
  • RB - Guice or Chubb 
I know, I know !!! Pipe Dream never gonna happen 

The fact that Webb could not even suit up until the last game of the season and did not get on the field for 1 play is very concerning to me. Passing on a Franchise QB for Webb could have catastrophic results.

Giants need picks ... they need to address O'line and Future QB equally bad.

• Trade the 2nd pick of the draft to the Bills for there 2 x 1st rd picks this season (likely mid 20s) and the and their 1st next season
  • Hope that Bortles cost the Jags an early playoff exit ... so that we we can trade Eli to the Jags for their 1st (mid to late 20's) worst case 2nd rd pick
  • Trade Odell to the Browns for their #4 pick in the draft
With their 4 picks in the 1st round Go after a QB, RB, 2 O'Linemen

• Oline - McGlinchey or Quenton Nelson and Orlando Brown
  • QB - Mayfield or Mason Rudolph,
  • RB - Guice or Chubb 
I know, I know !!! Pipe Dream never gonna happen 
What's with the trade Odell thing? 

You are prob right as far as legacy, my thoughts on legacy are probably peppered with dumpster fire of a season. Was Accorsi who picked Reese over Gettleman as his replacement, got Gettleman Carolina gig and probably new Giants gig too. Gettleman wasted no words on day 1, he obviously has to address o-line. Day 3 he cuts Hart. Probably won't cut Flowers, Giants seem to like him, his size, his age, so he will move him to right side. I think he's done more in less than a week on this line than Reese did in year
I don't think they cut Flowers either. I think they make him compete for the RT spot. He would have been the RT his 1st couple years if Beatty doesn't get hurt

What's with the trade Odell thing? 
Gettelman's cleaning house and Odell is a head case that doesn't fit the Giant mold. Odell is looking to be the highest paid player in the league. Until the Giant have a line and a QB it doesn't matter what Odell does ... you don't build a team around a WR.

Gettelman's cleaning house and Odell is a head case that doesn't fit the Giant mold. Odell is looking to be the highest paid player in the league. Until the Giant have a line and a QB it doesn't matter what Odell does ... you don't build a team around a WR.
Agree you don’t build around a WR but you also don’t let exceptionally talented guys who practice hard and play hard leave either

I don’t put too much stock in the highest paid player statement. They all want to be the highest paid player.

Keep Odell,he's a game changer when healthy.

Do whatever it takes to draft Barkley,he's by far the best player in this draft.

Draft smart after round 1 and there are quality offensive linemen to be had. Hopefully the new regime sees the mid round gems.

The "great" QB's in this draft may be a lot of hype,I'm not buying the top  3 as players to build around,hopefully Cleveland stays

true to form and takes a QB that won't pan out leaving Barkley there for The Giants.

Keep Odell,he's a game changer when healthy.

Do whatever it takes to draft Barkley,he's by far the best player in this draft.

Draft smart after round 1 and there are quality offensive linemen to be had. Hopefully the new regime sees the mid round gems.

The "great" QB's in this draft may be a lot of hype,I'm not buying the top  3 as players to build around,hopefully Cleveland stays

true to form and takes a QB that won't pan out leaving Barkley there for The Giants.
There's no way in the world the Giants are drafting Barkley with the Oline and QB situation that they have. I would luv to have him but it happening unless they get more picks 

Agree you don’t build around a WR but you also don’t let exceptionally talented guys who practice hard and play hard leave either

I don’t put too much stock in the highest paid player statement. They all want to be the highest paid player.
Brandon Marshall comes to mind 

There's no way in the world the Giants are drafting Barkley with the Oline and QB situation that they have. I would luv to have him but it happening unless they get more picks 
If the Giants can address much of their QB and OL situation in free agency, they may be in a better position to get Barkley. Otherwise, I agree,

Users who are viewing this thread