What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PGA Golf DFS (1 Viewer)

Bobcat10

Footballguy
I've dabbled a little on DK, usually a freeroll but sometimes a few bucks.  Now that it's coming to Fanduel this year I'll take a closer look.  I play a season long on Yahoo so I like to think I have a decent feel to start out.  With the sites combining at some point, I think they are doing this on Fanduel in a different way to see if they can strike gold with a format.  It looks very different then DK.  

You pick 4 golfers for rounds 1&2 and then 4 different golfers for rounds 3&4.  Clearly you need to pick players that make the cut for your 2nd group.  Even if all 8 golfers scored for all rounds, you would still need guys to make the cut to score big.  I'm not sure yet why this format would be more interesting than that, but I'll give it a try.

Scoring:

Double Bogey (2Bog) -3
Triple Bogey (Or Worse) (3+Bog) -3
Birdie (Bird) 2.1
Bogey (Bogey) -1
Streak Bonus (For Each Consecutive Hole Under Par) (Boost) 0.6
Eagle (Or Better) (Eag+) 5
Par (Par) 0.5
Tailspin Deduction (For Each Consecutive Hole Over Par) (Slump) 0

I have all this info because the Farmers tournament starting tomorrow is a beta and they are looking for feedback.

Here is what I've come up with for Torrey Pines:

Rounds 1&2 - James Hahn 6k, Danny Lee 6.6k, Adam Hadwin 6.7k, Hudson Swafford 6.9k

Rounds 3&4 - Martin Laird 7.3k, Dustin Johnson 10.1k, Jimmy Walker 8.8k, Brendan Steele 7.5k

not playing on FanDuel this week, but this is what I'm rolling on DK for GPP

Dustin Johnson/Jason Day

JB Holmes

Jason Kokrak

Francesco Molinari

Hudson Swafford/Charley Hoffman

Tony Finau

erring towards bombers and taking a good golfer who I feel is underpriced and should be low owned in Molinari

I put in for a couple bucks this week, so we will see.  BBall kicked my ***, so I am seeing if I have any more luck with 2 sports I can take more time to research during the week - golf and soccer. 

FD Golf was sorta weird having the players split out like that.  In the survey following the contest, they made sure to ask about that a few times in different ways, along with would you like to have late changes (FD has none of this today in any sport) so you could change your rounds 3&4 golfers to players that actually make the cut.  Seems like before combining the sites, if they ever do, they are trying to hit on a new format.  Won't be surprised to see MMA coming soon.

Well, 2 of my 6 guys missed the cut, and I am not even in the top 50% right now.  About the same a couple weeks ago when I tried some golf too.  Maybe try baseball? :lol:

Did one triple up this week on DK.  Seems to be on it's way to cashing.  Have to start remembering to do this more Wednesday night.  

Hadwin 30%

Jones 5%

Laird 35%

Mickelboob 65%

Rose 60%

Sneds 30%

Anyone trying this? I won a ticket in an NBA contest for an entry in a Masters gpp and going for another now in golf. I don't follow golf and don't really know where to find info or how to use what i have found so any help would be great. Not sure I like the split format FD is using-not only do you have to pick who is going to do well you have to know when too. At least the 1/2 day guys get points if they win.

Listened to some PGA DFS shows but since they were all geared to DK with different pricing and rules not sure it's going to help much. Anyway here is who I'm rolling out- wish me luck!!

Day 1/2

G McDowell

W Bryan

J Kokrak

K Na

Day 3/4

H Stenson ( seems to be the chalk)

R Mcllroy

R  Henley

L Glover

Contest didn't fill so almost a 50/50- 45.3% get at least 2x their investment.

Not sure if it's good or bad that 5/8 of my guys are 8% or less owned.

I cashed on DK and failed on FD this past week.  Stenson killed FD.  Still not sold on this FD format.  I know they added a bonus so your early round players can pay off if they finish well.  They sent me another survey on it yesterday so I think they are still looking to tweak it.

So I have been thinking of giving it a try on FD...Any thoughts/tips based on their format?  What type of data do you guys look for on the players?

So I have been thinking of giving it a try on FD...Any thoughts/tips based on their format?  What type of data do you guys look for on the players?
Ive done 1 50/50 and 3 freeroll GPPs and haven't cashed yet. in 3 events Ive only had 1 or 2 of my day 3/4 guys make the cut. Think I'm done with PGA after the masters ( won a ticket for a $4 gpp)

Ive been using vegas odds and course history but based on results should be looking at something else I guess-lol

I've only played a little bit, but like RW, I have not cashed yet either.  I probably can't pass up a little action for the Masters though.  

So, I know nothing about golf...is the Master's the only tourney this weekend?  I.e.  The guys I put in my lineup are all for that specific tourney?

I am going to throw one in...apparently there will be a lot of wind, so you want to find low ball hitters (is that tracked...lol).  Should be interesting at least.  Any other metrics people track?

Looks like there is some good value if you can pick the right seasoned vet.  Someone usually has a good few rounds.

El Gato - $5100, Freddie $4900, Langer $4900, Els $4600, Vijay $4600

I don't think JMO, Woosy, O'Meara, Mize and Lyle are worth playing.

Does anyone pay attention to the Champions Tour?  

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only played a little bit, but like RW, I have not cashed yet either.  I probably can't pass up a little action for the Masters though.  
The PGA GPP I got my free entry for looks like a good place to put some money. the 750k golden eagle for $4 is paying out the top 45562 and so far only has 34320 entries. Im going to put at least 1 more entry in myself.

Raging weasel said:
The PGA GPP I got my free entry for looks like a good place to put some money. the 750k golden eagle for $4 is paying out the top 45562 and so far only has 34320 entries. Im going to put at least 1 more entry in myself.
@Raging weasel

A podcast I listened to said there was a lot of overlay on FD for golf for whatever reason.  I just noticed the $4 entry one wasn't even 1/2 full with about 10hrs before it closes.  Not sure I want to do $4 for an entry, but it's tempting. 

What is the strategy with the way they split it?  Do you just take the 4 guys you like the most 2x?  Take cheap guys that you think could make the cut for rounds 1-4, but take studs that you think could T-10 for 3-4? 

I was surprised by this and not sure WTF to do with this...

@Raging weasel

A podcast I listened to said there was a lot of overlay on FD for golf for whatever reason.  I just noticed the $4 entry one wasn't even 1/2 full with about 10hrs before it closes.  Not sure I want to do $4 for an entry, but it's tempting. 

What is the strategy with the way they split it?  Do you just take the 4 guys you like the most 2x?  Take cheap guys that you think could make the cut for rounds 1-4, but take studs that you think could T-10 for 3-4? 

I was surprised by this and not sure WTF to do with this...
You can only use each golfer once so your 1st idea is out. I've been mostly terrible at pgs dfs- in 4 lineups Ive only had at least 2 guys going on rounds 3/4 once. I've been using vegas odds to pick the final day guys and vegas odds plus course and recent history for cheap early round guys.

I have 2 lineups in the $4 FD gpp- 1 I got as a prize and 1 I paid for last night. Listened to a dfs golf show and the weather is supposed to be horrible thur-fri. Also said that using FD scoring only 9 of 40 golfers who made the cut here last year had positive points in the thu/fri rounds. Im trying a lineup with Tiger in it because zero is better than negative for a cheap(5.7k) guy. Also using Rose in day 1/2 to try and gain an advantage. My other lineup is the basic stars and scrubs.

So it got to 154821 entries and pays top 45562 so about 30% double their money. Not as good as I hoped but not too shabby.

I pulled DJ at 7:56 this morning since he was in 2/3s of my LUs and I didn't like the news I was hearing.  Trying to hit a GPP with these LUs, but also put them in a few multipliers to hopefully at least break even.

1-2: Tanihara, Kisner, Hatton, Leishman  3-4: Hadwin, Matsuyama, Holmes, Rory

1-2: Langer, Kjeldsen, Hoffman, Berger  3-4: Casey, Westwood, Spieth, Rory

1-2: Couples, Fitzpatrick, Fisher, Henley  3-4: Casey, Oosthuizen, Rahm, Rose

Went with

1-2 of BWatson, PParez,JWang and SStricker

3-4 of Justin Thomas,BSteele,HMatsuyama and JSpieth

Tried a strategy of using cheap to middle of the road players who fair well early for 1-2 and then loaded up on high priced players for 3 of 4 of the 3-4 round, Steele is my low sal 3-4.

Well, I didn't get into FD since I didn't know WTF to do with that split L/U thing.  I have a whole $2.25 going at DK this weekend.  There it's 6 golfers for the tourney.  My LUs:

Fowler, Kjeldsen, Leishman, McIlroy, Pieters, Scott

Fowler, H.Mat, Hadwin, Leishman, Rose, Westwood

Hadwin, Kisner, Kjeldsen, H.Mat, Scott, McIlroy

Good luck, all!

My lineups

Day 1/2 pieters, leishman, Henley,c wood

3/4  O'Hair, Rose, Mickelson, speith

And the crazy one. Only rahm is over 9% owned.

1/2 tiger,rose, hatton, grillo

3/4 rahm, molinari, willett,Hoffman

The Tiger lineup would be in great shape if I had put him in over Hatton instead of O'Hair and used the savings to upgrade Molinari. If Speith can get it together my 1st lineup should cash.
So I'm I getting the scoring right when I assume the only way your round 3-4 players can score in rounds 1-2 is by their position on the leaderboard?

So I'm I getting the scoring right when I assume the only way your round 3-4 players can score in rounds 1-2 is by their position on the leaderboard?
Yes, but that number is going to fluctuate until the tournament is final.  It's one bonus score for the entire weekend.  If Hoffman enters Saturday's round in 10th, he won't be getting the max bonus anymore, he'll be getting whatever 10th place gets.

Well, I didn't get into FD since I didn't know WTF to do with that split L/U thing.  I have a whole $2.25 going at DK this weekend.  There it's 6 golfers for the tourney.  My LUs:

Fowler, Kjeldsen, Leishman, McIlroy, Pieters, Scott

Fowler, H.Mat, Hadwin, Leishman, Rose, Westwood

Hadwin, Kisner, Kjeldsen, H.Mat, Scott, McIlroy

Good luck, all!
Looks like I will keep my eye on golf all weekend.  Top 2 rosters are doing quite well so far.  Top one has all 6 of the players in the top 20. 

I pulled DJ at 7:56 this morning since he was in 2/3s of my LUs and I didn't like the news I was hearing.  Trying to hit a GPP with these LUs, but also put them in a few multipliers to hopefully at least break even.

1-2: Tanihara, Kisner, Hatton, Leishman  3-4: Hadwin, Matsuyama, Holmes, Rory

1-2: Langer, Kjeldsen, Hoffman, Berger  3-4: Casey, Westwood, Spieth, Rory

1-2: Couples, Fitzpatrick, Fisher, Henley  3-4: Casey, Oosthuizen, Rahm, Rose
Bottom two lineups have been doing well all weekend, right now at 227 and 206.  I was real high in standings this afternoon but they faltered a bit in the end.  Have a few low owned players so I can easily get back into the mix in the top 100.

The top lineup is in last place in a triple up.

Couple of the guys stunk it up on Saturday, so no big money for me.  Ended up 3x my entries which was good, and it gave me a reason to pay attention to The Masters, which made it more fun. 

I had $9 in and got $14.80 out.  A little disappointing I'd say, but still positive.  The two winners were 273.3 and 274.3, with totally different players besides Casey.

I looked at some of the top scores and it looked like most of them did NOT necessarily put their studs on rounds 3-4.  I don't know what to make of that.  That is probably a good way to be different, but also more risky.  Any thoughts?

I have a freeroll for this week that I'll probably put a few more bucks on tonight.  Totally different field of golfers to choose from, kinda crazy.

Bobcat10 said:
I had $9 in and got $14.80 out.  A little disappointing I'd say, but still positive.  The two winners were 273.3 and 274.3, with totally different players besides Casey.

I looked at some of the top scores and it looked like most of them did NOT necessarily put their studs on rounds 3-4.  I don't know what to make of that.  That is probably a good way to be different, but also more risky.  Any thoughts?

I have a freeroll for this week that I'll probably put a few more bucks on tonight.  Totally different field of golfers to choose from, kinda crazy.
I noticed the same thing and have even done it myself. For a gpp it's a solid strategy if it hits. At the masters Hoffman scored almost 30 more points in day 1/2 than 3/4. Rose and some others it was the opposite. Wish they let you have the same golfer all 4 days even if was only 1 . Even with all studs I haven't had all my guys playing in the 3/4 daysyet.

rolling with this tomorrow-

1/2 Horschel, perez,,Stanley,weekley

3/4 Henley,dufner,haas,donald

ended up switching the days for Haas/Horschel. Bouncing back and forth across the $$ line in doubleups but really need Hass and Weekly to shoot under today.

Went with this:

1/2 - Johnston, McDowell, Poulter, Glover

3/4 - Kuchar, Kisner, Henley, Fitzpatrick

Not looking that good at the moment.

Went

1/2

PPerez, JJ Spaun, S Cink, T Hatton

3/4

SLowry, MKuchar, JFuryk,RCampos

Sitting at 154.8 right now

Me either since Haas decided to suck again. Only hope is if he's highly owned in the next round and all my guys make the cut.

At 164, Perez at 56.2 and done, JJ Spaun at 39.6 thru 7, Cink at 25 thru 6, and Hatton at 38.2 done

Went with this:

1/2 - Johnston, McDowell, Poulter, Glover

3/4 - Kuchar, Kisner, Henley, Fitzpatrick

Not looking that good at the moment.
169.3 points after round 2.  Cut lines are 194pts in a Mini Hole-in-One, 168.9pts in a double up, and 206pts in a freeroll.

I guess the thing that sucks with this format is I picked 7/8 golfers that made the cut, but the one that missed is in my 3/4 group.  Some of these lineups at the top are ridic...230+ points with all 3/4 golfers in the top 25.  

taking another swing at golf. I have 5 lineups (2 cash/3gpp) for $8. Looking like I really need Koepka to make the cut and then play great the final 2 days. have him in 2 gpp and 1 cash and his highest ownership% is 8.2.

What site do you guys use to read up on players in each of the PGA events?
Still doing random google searches to try and find something to go back to every week.

The one mainstay I have is Rob Bolton's work on pgatour.com.  In the fantasy section he'll have his power rankings and fantasy insider articles.  He also is pretty good at replying in the comments at the bottom of the article for extra info.

The single entry $1 Hole in One didn't come close to filling.  Going with 3 lineups again, each in a $1 GPP and a couple 5050s.  Can't wait to see some crazy #######s lineup win on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread