What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 30 Most Powerful 'talents' in Sports Media today (1 Viewer)

Link

5. Wilbon and Kornheiser

4. Wojnarowski

3. Skip Bayless

2. Cowherd

and the #1 is....

Seriously, this is why you can't talk sports anymore with people.  They get their opinions from some of these people, with the top 3 being downright awful.  Francesa is still in the top 30 too, I thought he was put out to pasture years ago. 

I don't mind Bomani Jones, Paul Finebaum, Dan Patrick, Jay Bilas, Kirk Herbstreit, and SVP.  I quite like Bilas and Herbstreit actually, two of the best in the business IMO.  I would agree that the top ones on the list are garbage though.  Can't stand Bayless, I don't understand why anyone finds him interesting.  Surprised to see no Jim Rome on the list, though I don't care for him either.

Not sure I agree with most of the list. I would have put Adam Schefter a bit higher. Most NFL player-related info (contracts, trades, injuries) comes thru Schefter. I might have also put Peter King higher too.

I despise Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless (he's not even the best in his family!) I would think Bayless has dropped some since leaving ESPN.

That's a turrible list.

Who's the chick at #29? People actually watch network pregame shows?? I would think they rival CSPAN ratings.

Not sure I agree with most of the list. I would have put Adam Schefter a bit higher. Most NFL player-related info (contracts, trades, injuries) comes thru Schefter. I might have also put Peter King higher too.

I despise Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless (he's not even the best in his family!) I would think Bayless has dropped some since leaving ESPN.
:goodposting:  Bayless and Smith just seem interested in spouting contrarian views on topics. I can't stand Undisputed and hate the promos they play during NFL games on FOX. Not a big Shannon Sharpe fan either, so it is definitely "Can't See TV" for me.

Most of the top guys on the list come up with "hot takes" that enrage the vast majority and then sit back and watch the chaos they created with a smirk on their face. Reminds me of some of the posters in the FFA.

Where else will people gets sports info?

Its hard for the average joe to keep up on all this sports. Independently wealthy FBGs can watch sports in their haters all day but most people don't have that luxury.

That's a turrible list.

Who's the chick at #29? People actually watch network pregame shows?? I would think they rival CSPAN ratings.
I caught part of it last week for the first time before the Conference Championship game. It was Thompson, Cowherd, Dave Wannstedt, Peanut Tillman and Josh Norman. I hadn't seen Norman as an analyst before, so it caught my eye. Norman likes to yap on the field, but imo he has no business acting as an analyst. He wasn't good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind Bomani Jones, Paul Finebaum, Dan Patrick, Jay Bilas, Kirk Herbstreit, and SVP.  I quite like Bilas and Herbstreit actually, two of the best in the business IMO.  I would agree that the top ones on the list are garbage though.  Can't stand Bayless, I don't understand why anyone finds him interesting.  Surprised to see no Jim Rome on the list, though I don't care for him either.
Agree that Bilas and Herbstreit are among the best.  They are probably two of my favorites because their delivery, other than being homers to their alma matters, is relatively shtick free, which is a rare commodity.

Not yet mentioned, I like Booger McFarland, also Jamie Dukes.

My favorite by far is Bill Polian, though as far as I know his only gig is one night a week on Sirius NFL radio.

I like Kornheiser, Van Pelt and Herbstreit.  If Jay Glazer and Schefter are on the list then Buster Olney should be there for his work in MLB.  

A local radio station still carries Jim Rome. All the talk of The Jungle, vines, clones, etc. is tired and dated. He is also constantly flogging product during his show, O"Reilly Auto Parts, Dollar Shave Club, some mattress company, a flower company, etc.

Not yet mentioned, I like Booger McFarland, also Jamie Dukes.

My favorite by far is Bill Polian, though as far as I know his only gig is one night a week on Sirius NFL radio.
Polian does ESPN NFL stuff. He is very good.

I like Kornheiser, Van Pelt and Herbstreit.  If Jay Glazer and Schefter are on the list then Buster Olney should be there for his work in MLB.  
Do you listen to Tony's Podcast?

Bomani Jones is the absolute worst & he is a full blown racist. If any white person talked like he did they'd be fired in a heart beat. He is a joke. Then you have Dan lebaturd, oof ESPN dug the bottom of the barrel for that clown. He thinks he doing comedy at the improved, how do these idiots get jobs. Forgot about Paul "200 yr old" Finebaum, uppity a hole

I just take each show for what it is - sheer entertainment.  what else am I gonna flip on while eating a bowl of cereal or ice cream during those rare moments I have the TV to myself?  kinda burned out on Nickelodeon :shrug:

5. Bob Ryan/Jackie McMullen (same person) ............jackie's the best nba color i ever heard, but she rarely does it 

4. Sarah Spain

3, PTIs

2. Schefty

1. CCarter

Great show. Wasn't sure there was another Little among the FFA. Wilbon is on the Monday podcast. Nice that his show is only an hour since it doesn't have real commercials like a radio show.
I like the quick moving banter on PTI.  Comment for a minute+ then move on.  There was a time I tuned into the Herd, if for nothing else, just to listen to what silliness he was going to bring up next.  But that guy just drones on and on.. and on and on.  He'll say the same sentence 9 times, then come back from break and say it 4 more times.  Can't stomach him much anymore.  

Link

5. Wilbon and Kornheiser

4. Wojnarowski

3. Skip Bayless

2. Cowherd

and the #1 is....

Seriously, this is why you can't talk sports anymore with people.  They get their opinions from some of these people, with the top 3 being downright awful.  Francesa is still in the top 30 too, I thought he was put out to pasture years ago. 
That's the top 5 I sports media personalities I actively avoid

Bomani Jones is the absolute worst & he is a full blown racist. If any white person talked like he did they'd be fired in a heart beat. He is a joke. Then you have Dan lebaturd, oof ESPN dug the bottom of the barrel for that clown. He thinks he doing comedy at the improved, how do these idiots get jobs. Forgot about Paul "200 yr old" Finebaum, uppity a hole
Examples of said racism?

5. Bob Ryan/Jackie McMullen (same person) ............jackie's the best nba color i ever heard, but she rarely does it 

4. Sarah Spain

3, PTIs

2. Schefty

1. CCarter
I adore Bob Ryan. I feel an attachment to him because he is a Boston guy, he lives in the town where I grew up (Hingham, MA  :pickle: ) and I went to HS and was on the Sailing team (yeah, serious tough-guy sport!!) with his son. (RIP Keith :cry: )

I adore Bob Ryan. I feel an attachment to him because he is a Boston guy, he lives in the town where I grew up (Hingham, MA  :pickle: ) and I went to HS and was on the Sailing team (yeah, serious tough-guy sport!!) with his son. (RIP Keith :cry: )
And he's the extension of the half-human/half-wonk, Peter Gammons-style sports reporting i've expected from the Globe  since i was kneehigh to a fungo.

ETA: but he and Jackie really are the same person

I like the quick moving banter on PTI.  Comment for a minute+ then move on.  There was a time I tuned into the Herd, if for nothing else, just to listen to what silliness he was going to bring up next.  But that guy just drones on and on.. and on and on.  He'll say the same sentence 9 times, then come back from break and say it 4 more times.  Can't stomach him much anymore.  
Your description of Cowherd reminds me of Jim Rome. The :deadhorse:  emoji was made for him. I've been trapped in a vehicle with a "Clone" co-worker and he refused to change the radio station. Very painful.

Great show. Wasn't sure there was another Little among the FFA. Wilbon is on the Monday podcast. Nice that his show is only an hour since it doesn't have real commercials like a radio show.
I'm a big Little. :)  I'm also a complainer.  Wilbon is awful, the quintessential jock sniffing doosh.  On tv it's more palatable because Tony gets to talk.  On the pod he just lets Wilbon spout his nonsense and it's painful.  Love the show though!

I'm a big Little. :)  I'm also a complainer.  Wilbon is awful, the quintessential jock sniffing doosh.  On tv it's more palatable because Tony gets to talk.  On the pod he just lets Wilbon spout his nonsense and it's painful.  Love the show though!
LA CHEESERIE!!!

Sports >>>>>>> people talking about sports >>>>>>> fools yelling about sports

Great call on Herbie and Bilas.  Those two are tremendous.

If you're talking most powerful, I think Tirico, Nantz and Gruden have to be up there 
I think many people arguing in here are losing sight of this.  The list is most powerful, not best...not most insightful...not best personality.  I don't really know what constitutes "power" in terms of sports media talent, but even though many seem to dislike a guy like Skip Bayless, he somehow gets to write his own ticket.  Seems pretty powerful to me.   I am surprised Costas didn't make the cut..

Users who are viewing this thread