What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My grandfather passed and we found a box of WWII items, one of which is pretty amazing (1 Viewer)

Worm

slimy ninja
My grandfather served in WWII for the US Marine Corps. He told us a few things about his time in WWII while he was alive, but preferred not to talk much about it. He had mentioned over the years that he he was stationed on or passed through Saipan and Tinian in the Mariana Islands, and that he was on a ship that transported one of the bombs. He also told us that he was medically discharged because he threw a grenade in the heat of battle incorrectly and threw out his elbow (ha!). We also knew that he had received the Bronze Star, which is shown in the attached image album. Grumpa, as me and my sister (lovingly) called him growing up, passed in late 2015.

In the process of sorting through his things after he died we found a box of items from WWII that neither my mother or myself knew about. It contained ribbons from his service, photos with writing on the back, and a flag.

The flag is a Japanese flag which my grandfather presumably (total guess on my part) recovered off of a fallen Japanese soldier. The flag contains a large amount of Japanese writing, an amazing depiction of a tiger, and hand prints, which I can only guess belonged to the Japanese soldier's family.

I was at a loss when we found these. I can only wonder who the women (and man) in the pictures are and why my grandfather saved them all these years. And the flag just blows my mind. I would love to know what it says.

I post this here because I thought the flag in particular was an amazing glimpse into both sides of the war. And I'm curious as to some of the other items.
Can anyone identify the top two ribbons? I've done a little research and seem to have found what the bottom set of three ribbons are, but not the top two.
What do the pictures say/who are they? Memento pictures from Japanese soldiers?

What is the flag's background? Translation (-I think I'll post to a translation sub as well)? Am I right that it was a memento taken to war?

Link to album: http://imgur.com/a/EBmef

I just posted this over to reddit in order to see if I could get any success with a translation - head over and give me an upvote to get a little help if you are a redditor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/history/comments/5qj1rc/my_grandfather_passed_and_we_found_a_box_of_wwii/

Last edited by a moderator:
They've had a few flags on Antiques Roadshow and i believe the script/prints on those are handwritten well-wishes from family & friends. IIRC, the Emperor would not allow any personal items in an Imperial soldier's kit - no photos, cards, etc - so the loophole was to make the unassailble flag the memento for their soldiers going to battle.

Gave you an upvote - very cool stuff - but this had the makings of a classic click-bait: "I can't believe what happened in picture 7"

ETA - I do think the flag was something taken to war, but can't swear to that.  Plus, it looks like Grumpa was quite the ladies man... 

Be kind of cool to try to figure out who it belongs to and then try to find his descendents to give it back to. 
I've had this in the back of my mind since we found it.  Feels like finding a needle in a stack of needles type task though.

They've had a few flags on Antiques Roadshow and i believe the script/prints on those are handwritten well-wishes from family & friends. IIRC, the Emperor would not allow any personal items in an Imperial soldier's kit - no photos, cards, etc - so the loophole was to make the unassailble flag the memento for their soldiers going to battle.
The reasoning makes a lot of sense for the time period. I wonder if the pictures were similar items that they snuck in.

I'll ask around to see if we have any Japanese students at my university.  I know we have a number of Chinese students (including my grad assistant) ..not sure about Japanese.

Very cool find!

I might be seeing a japanese friend over the weekend.

I'll do my best to remember to show her this if it hasn't been translated by then.

WORM - I think the first one is a Japanese squadron leader collar tab
I think both the first and second one are.  The first, with 3 stars, would be for a sergeant major.  The one with two would be a sergeant.

I sent in a note to the Obon Society.

Their process calls for you to just send the flag to them, and doesn't mention returning it if they don't find anything, which sketches me out, but we'll see what they say.

Most of the pictures are post cards, a couple of them are even stamped.  What is written on them is the mystery.

I have a friend that lives in Tokyo and speaks Japanese. I'm assuming he can read it too but not sure. 

My guess is that most of the pics were models or pin up girls the Japanese soldier was carrying.

It would be awesome to research and see if you could return them to the family of the soldier.  

amazing stuff though- and I think it would be incredible to return these items to the japanese family....
Yeah...as cool as it is for his Grandpa to have them...the heirs of the Japanese soldier I would think would just be amazed by it and that it all was saved.

I sent in a note to the Obon Society.

Their process calls for you to just send the flag to them, and doesn't mention returning it if they don't find anything, which sketches me out, but we'll see what they say.
yeah, that would make me uneasy as well

saw this someplace else:

According to a contact at the Japanese Embassy quoted in a comment thread elicited by Jon Mixon's answer, this is the official route:

If somebody has a flag or something else that’s directly related to WWII and that can be identified as belonging to an individual soldier, then it can be sent to the person’s local Japanese Consulate or the Embassy (if in the DC region).   Then, the information  or the item - your flag info included – will be sent to Tokyo to the Social Welfare and War Victims’ Relief Bureau (http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/or...), which is within the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.

The Bureau will then research the item and see if they can find a living relative.  Thereupon the relative will have the choice of accepting the item or not.  There is also a presupposed notion of privacy, so the Japanese person and/or the American who is returning the item can both chose to be anonymous or not.  The Japanese government is only there to facilitate the return of the item and will abide by the wishes of the returner.  Under no circumstance will the Japanese government ask for an item, nor will it pay for an item.  You have no idea how many people call asking for money for such things.

Additionally, the search can take a very long time, years even.  So, if you want to keep the item, it’s best to send pictures.  However, you can send the actual item as long as you stipulate that you would like it returned if nobody can be found.  Swords and such that have no identifiable marks are virtually impossible to place.

There is also a private organization in Japan that does this type of work called the Non-Profit Organization Association of Peace and War Mourning, http://www.senbotsusya.com/en/.

49 minutes ago, elbowrm said:
Fwiw i saw a tv segment a few years ago about a nonprofit that seeks to return these flags to the ancestors of the original owner's descendants - some really cool stories -

https://obonsociety.org/

Holy crap!  Never heard of this.  Will check it out.
Perhaps there is a means by which to not only return the flag / handprints and all, but engage in a dialogue with the family? That child may still be alive, and his children almost certainly so. It could be a warm story to bring them back something of their (likely) lost father and grandfather.  Maybe warrant a trip to Japan! THE SIMPSONS ARE GOING TO JAPAN!  Damn Taxachusetts! Or they could come here.

That's fantastic @Worm !

We have some WWII items from my granddad also...a jacket with a bullet hole in it, Purple Hearts...all priceless to our family.

He was captured by the Germans and escaped on the way to a prison by jumping off a train after cutting himself free with a knife he hid.

We also have 2 letters...one from the US Govt telling my grandmother that he was captured and presumed dead...and one from my Grandfather a month later writing her that he was alive.

very cool worm.  are any of his buddy's still alive?  it might be worth it to look them up to see if they have any insight.

Users who are viewing this thread