What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Hurt dies at 77 (1 Viewer)

The first role I remember him playing is Kane in Alien. The big scene where everything is all calm and everybody is eating and then out of nowhere the Alien bursts from his chest.

Do I have to put the above in a Spoiler box? 

Of course he was great in many other roles, but that is the first one I think of.

How did you get into the theater if you were 9? I was 14 and it messed me up for a while.
My mom even took us - she was totally into movies.  We still kid her about it to this day.  "Hey mom, so-and-so just turned 5 - maybe you should take her to see Saw II". :)

She took us to see Road Warrior 3 years later.

For some reason V for Vendetta popped into my head.  Not sure why - he did a ton of great work.  

Damn, this sucks.  Still remember seeing Alien in the theatres when I was 9.  Scared the living #### out of me.
Same situation here. Parents took me scared me ####less. The scene where they are directing Tom Skerritt through the ship with the creature chasing him still freaks me out.

Also, remember him as the voice in "Watership Down" which my parents also took me to, probably a little more age appropriate. 

RIP

A great Caligula, btw. I'll most remember him as one of the first film actors who didn't mind looking unheroicly bad to make a movie work. RIP -

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite actors. He was always solid in roles. Great career. Always had a bit of vulnerability to him that made him seen authentic, honest in roles. He could emote like no other with his those eyes and reedy voice of his. His Winston in 1984 is very real. 

One of my favorite actors. He was always solid in roles. Great career. Always had a bit of vulnerability to him that made him seen authentic, honest in roles. He could emote like no other with his those eyes and reedy voice of his. His Winston in 1984 is very real. 
Great posting. 

One of my favorites was him playing Hadden in "Contact"......   Clever girl!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
In a film called "Scandal", he had a harrowing and authentic suicide scene. I haven't seen the movie in twenty years but I can still recall how vividly he emoted the grief and despair of his character.

He had a run from 79-82 which was quite impressive, films ranging from 'Alien' -to- 'Elephant Man' -to- 'Midnight Crossing' and obviously others. Impressive...

Users who are viewing this thread