What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leveon Bell-sell high? (1 Viewer)

Bayhawks

Footballguy
With Bells running style, it would seem his effectiveness would fade sooner than a power-type RB.  When he loses that sudden-ness that allows him to almost stop behind the line, then explode thru a hole, what makes him so unique will be gone.

should Bell owners try to unload him for max value, or ride him till he fades?

That depends more on your philosophy and resources.  If you are going to be able to stay competitive and have a good pipeline/bench/taxi resource, it would probably be best to just ride him out.  You're going to get beaten up on "he's high mileage/injuries, he's a FA and PIT may not keep him, he's in The Program" with people trying to lower the price.  It's exhausting trying to trade him.

I'm always willing to sell high on anyone, but it's probably not going to be easy to do so with Bell.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be the classic case of it depends what someone is willing to offer. If someone wants to trade you a young back that's already somewhat proven and on the rise plus a player that would help at another position, I'd listen. If someone wants to give you four guys at the back end of his roster, then no. 

How soon are you expecting this "fade" on a 24 (to be 25) year old RB with only 908 career carries?

Mind you David Johnson already turned 25 and has 418. While ADP has 2,418.

How soon are you expecting this "fade" on a 24 (to be 25) year old RB with only 908 career carries?

I will typically look to unload RBs before their age 29 season.  Sometimes that bites you (ADP a few years ago), but more often than not, it's a good all, IMO.  Bell is a different case though, his running style is likely to render him less effective sooner than other RBs.  Look at his rookie year, before he lost the weight; his running style wasn't AS effective.  I could see his stop/start style becoming less effective earlier than a "normal" RB.  

This is the first season in a while where he's ended the season "healthy," and if he isn't suspended to start the season next year, his value might never be higher, b/c he was a beast down the stretch.

When I say sell high, I mean just that; a top WR & a 2nd/tier RB for bell type deal. Not Yeldon & J Matthews 

If Bell is a sell-high, then I guess everyone who just had a good season is a sell-high. 

As someone else said, it's probably 2 years too early for this one.  He isn't going to decline before he is 27, and he will probably be able to fetch just about as much then as he will now, so no, not a sell-high IMO.

Unless of course you view most all RBs as sell-highs and look to trade for young stud WRs.  That's a whole different philosophy all together there. 

But as with any player, always willing to listen to offers, and there are plenty of deals out there where it would make sense to trade Bell.  Just depends what the offer is.

If Bell is your only good player and you need to rebuild, then yes, it would make sense to sell now since no other position can take a quick crap in value like the RB position can. 

BigSteelThrill said:

Bell and Johnson are around 2 months apart in age, so they are essentially the same age.

There are a couple differences between the two. Bell over his career has averaged 24 touches per game while Johnson has averaged 17. Besides having the bigger workload, Bell also has the specter of more suspensions hanging over his head.

ADP is old with limited tread life remaining. He'll be 32 and has almost 2800 career touches (regular and post seasons).

I am a Bell owner and would have to be really blown away in a trade offer, as I would rather have guys that provide a fantasy ppg scoring advantage. Bell cleary has been a beast when he plays, so I cherish that over guys that might play 16 games but have a lower fantasy ppg.

Give us an example of what you would do it for...I think every player is  tradeable depending on the offer...that being said Bell is an elite player at a position where there aren't many difference-makers...if you deal him you need to be pretty comfortable that the deal is not only good but somewhat safe...

Give us an example of what you would do it for...I think every player is  tradeable depending on the offer...that being said Bell is an elite player at a position where there aren't many difference-makers...if you deal him you need to be pretty comfortable that the deal is not only good but somewhat safe...
I don't want this to be an AC thread, but, like I said before, It would have to be a sell high.  A top WR (Beckham, Evans, Brown, Jones, Green, maybe Jordy) and a 2nd-tier type RB (Howard, Ajayi, Hyde, etc) for Bell and maybe a lesser WR.

As someone already pointed out, there's a good chance that the suspension risk, ????s around Ben, Brown, Pitt, etc would prevent an offer like that from being available, but whether that deal or not is available wasn't the point of the thread.  It seems to be the (early) consensus that there are still several years before his skills might deteriorate enough to make his running style less effective.

If you get something like that you definitely have to think about it...depending on who you like that could be a nice haul...not sure if an Owner would do it but if you could get something like Evans and Freeman or Green and Ajayi that could be a real nice haul... 

I have him in a non-ppr and not sure what I would even be after there to get that value back.  Those young WRs still have value there but not the uber-value like they do in PPR.  That is reserved for RBs like Bell of which there are few.  I have David Johnson already and someone is not going to trade Zeke for Bell so what is left?

Maybe an early pick from a bad team along with their 2018 pick.  Something like Fournette + a likely top 3 pick next year with another strong RB class could be enticing, but again I'm not sure a bad team would be interested in giving up multiple pieces for one player when they're full of holes.

I came to the conclusion long ago that some owners prefer to trade than to win. And I'm okay with that.

I came to the conclusion long ago that some owners prefer to trade than to win. And I'm okay with that.
This is a valid point.  Won my oldest league (keeper, not dynasty) this year for the first time in a while, & it was the first year in about 5 years where I didn't make a single trade.

Bell's running style will help him imo. It's not so much his start-stop as it is his vision and patience. Instead of barreling into linebackers, he shifts slightly to put his blockers into position, not unlike Rodgers or Brady in the pocket. Players are taught to hit the hole fast and hard, often outrunning their blockers. He doesn't make sharp cuts like warrick dunn or power through people like bettis, he slides by doesn't take too many brutal, direct hits. I won't be surprised if PIT drafts a rb in the 3-4th round to back him up, especially if they use the tag. Williams doesn't have too many years left and would be expendable. Credit PIT offensive line as well.

BigSteelThrill said:

I think it depends on WHY he only has 908 career carries.

If it's because he gets busted for pot a lot AND has an injury history.... well, I dunno if those are good reasons to average 227 carries a season. Based on his quotes after his last pot suspension I question how much he has learned. Wasn't he convinced that he would have no suspension because the league couldn't find him?! Even in his lone healthy season he finished with a season ending injury it just happened very late. Even if you ignore all that Big Ben sounds like he's contemplating his future and PIT seems anything but completely all-in on Antonio Brown in the long term. For that matter Bell himself may be in a different offense in the future. He has been able to average nearly 5ypc in that offense but if he's in another offense does he get that ypc AND get the entire workload like he does now? There aren't many teams that use RB's like that anymore. This might be the best time to unload before the question marks are obvious to everyone about the future of this offense.

Way too many moving parts even in the short term for me. I would cash out unless I thought my team was a favorite to win the title this season. But I will admit I weigh the "dummy" factor in more heavily than most FF people do. Based on some of his quotes after his last suspension was announced he just sounds like a guy that still doesn't get it to me. It seems kind of rare for guys like that to wake up one morning and start making much, much better decisions than they have demonstrated in the past. Great talent. Hard worker. Those will never be in question... but the league is full of talented guys that work hard AND don't get busted for pot every other year.

Bell's running style will help him imo. It's not so much his start-stop as it is his vision and patience. Instead of barreling into linebackers, he shifts slightly to put his blockers into position, not unlike Rodgers or Brady in the pocket. Players are taught to hit the hole fast and hard, often outrunning their blockers. He doesn't make sharp cuts like warrick dunn or power through people like bettis, he slides by doesn't take too many brutal, direct hits. I won't be surprised if PIT drafts a rb in the 3-4th round to back him up, especially if they use the tag. Williams doesn't have too many years left and would be expendable. Credit PIT offensive line as well.
I agree that his style prevents him from taking a lot of "big" hits at the LOS, he looks to initiate contact at the end of his runs, so I think that mitigates any "help" in this area.  At the same time, my main point/question still remains (even though the consensus seems to be that we have another year or 2 before it becomes a concern); when he loses that initial burst, his ability to explode through an opening after almost standing still behind the line will become lessened & his running style will be less effective.

Even if you ignore all that Big Ben sounds like he's contemplating his future and PIT seems anything but completely all-in on Antonio Brown in the long term. For that matter Bell himself may be in a different offense in the future. He has been able to average nearly 5ypc in that offense but if he's in another offense does he get that ypc AND get the entire workload like he does now? There aren't many teams that use RB's like that anymore. This might be the best time to unload before the question marks are obvious to everyone about the future of this offense.

Way too many moving parts even in the short term for me. I would cash out unless I thought my team was a favorite to win the title this season. But I will admit I weigh the "dummy" factor in more heavily than most FF people do. Based on some of his quotes after his last suspension was announced he just sounds like a guy that still doesn't get it to me. It seems kind of rare for guys like that to wake up one morning and start making much, much better decisions than they have demonstrated in the past. Great talent. Hard worker. Those will never be in question... but the league is full of talented guys that work hard AND don't get busted for pot every other year.
The "dummy" factor you speak of is one of the reasons I was pondering this this last week.  I'm not necessarily calling him a dummy, but two strikes is two strikes, and I think the next violation would be 10 games.  Overcoming 2 games, or 3 games, especially at the beginning of a season is do-able, but 10 games, especially if it comes mid-season, could be a killer.

With regards to Ben & Antonio, I think it will turn out to be much ado about nothing.  Ben has a reputation as a "drama queen," which the pondering his future comments seem to support, but in the same interview where he made those comments, he made a number of comments about what he and the team needed to do for next year.  The overall tone of the interview wasn't one of a guy who was going to retire, but one throwaway comment got all the attention.  With regards to Brown, I'm sure some of his teammates, coaches, fans, etc could do without the penalties, facebook live, pouting, etc, but he's the best WR in the game.  They aren't going to get rid of him, unless the contract becomes a problem (which is a possibility). 

The big issue is money.  Bell will be a FA, Brown has one more year, but was reportedly promised that the Steelers would address his contract this off-season.  If they get Brown a long-term extension, it's going to be for big money.  Because of his restructuring before last season, Brown's cap hit in 2016 was $11.9 million.  The average yearly salary for the top-5 WRs in 2016 (excluding Alshon Jeffrey who played under the tag) was slightly over $14M.  Have to assume any Brown contract will have to be in that range, although they could spread out the cap hit, so it's less than the full $14M in 2017. 

Bell will want a big contract, but even if he gets tagged, he will count $12.4 million against the cap.  His cap hit in 2016 was $1.2 million.

So, assuming deals or the tag are worked out/used on Brown & Bell, the Steelers might not have a lot of money left over.  I don't know much about the other Steeler FAs, but they need to keep their O-line together, improve their #2 WR spot (unless they trust Bryant will get re-instated/stay clean) & improve their D.   

The "dummy" factor you speak of is one of the reasons I was pondering this this last week.  I'm not necessarily calling him a dummy, but two strikes is two strikes, and I think the next violation would be 10 games.  Overcoming 2 games, or 3 games, especially at the beginning of a season is do-able, but 10 games, especially if it comes mid-season, could be a killer.
Per the negotiation on his last suspension, it did not count as a violation of the Policy and did not advance him to the next stage in the Program.  Next violation would still be 4 games.

I don't want this to be an AC thread, but, like I said before, It would have to be a sell high.  A top WR (Beckham, Evans, Brown, Jones, Green, maybe Jordy) and a 2nd-tier type RB (Howard, Ajayi, Hyde, etc) for Bell and maybe a lesser WR.

As someone already pointed out, there's a good chance that the suspension risk, ????s around Ben, Brown, Pitt, etc would prevent an offer like that from being available, but whether that deal or not is available wasn't the point of the thread.  It seems to be the (early) consensus that there are still several years before his skills might deteriorate enough to make his running style less effective.
If you're essentially swapping productive assets, okay.   I wouldn't give brown for bell without getting better stuff back than I add, but that's a ppr league with 1-2 rb but 3-5 wr starting. 

Per the negotiation on his last suspension, it did not count as a violation of the Policy and did not advance him to the next stage in the Program.  Next violation would still be 4 games.
And this is just another red flag to me. The "negotiation" over what the next pot violation will mean for Bell. It's not even like anyone is expecting this last suspension to be.... well, his last pot suspension. For a guy entering a contract year it kind of makes him look like a guy that is a dummy to me. A lot of phases of your game can be fixed but dummy isn't one. What happens when he really starts getting paid the big $ if he couldn't control his pot consumption when he was trying to get that big contract? As usual goodell makes the nfl policy as clear as mud so maybe it won't mean anything. It's impossible to tell what will happen with goodell enforcing the rules with his magic 8-ball.

And this is just another red flag to me. The "negotiation" over what the next pot violation will mean for Bell. It's not even like anyone is expecting this last suspension to be.... well, his last pot suspension. For a guy entering a contract year it kind of makes him look like a guy that is a dummy to me. A lot of phases of your game can be fixed but dummy isn't one. What happens when he really starts getting paid the big $ if he couldn't control his pot consumption when he was trying to get that big contract? As usual goodell makes the nfl policy as clear as mud so maybe it won't mean anything. It's impossible to tell what will happen with goodell enforcing the rules with his magic 8-ball.
They weren't negotiating his next punishment, that's a result of the stipulation that he didn't advance to the next phase of the program.  It's progressively longer and more difficult to exit the program the further one advances, so of course they are going to negotiate that.

I agree that Bells playing style should help him prolong his career rather than the other way around,

If Bells playing style was more similar to what he was being asked to do in college and that play style carrying over somewhat in his rookie season as well. If he were asked to be more of a hammer, I see that shortening a RBs career. 

A elusive RB causes more glancing hits than direct ones which cause less cumulative wear and tear.

They weren't negotiating his next punishment, that's a result of the stipulation that he didn't advance to the next phase of the program.  It's progressively longer and more difficult to exit the program the further one advances, so of course they are going to negotiate that.
But the phase of the program he is in only matters because it effects his next punishment.

I have no idea why you have to negotiate what the punishment is for the rules after you break them. He missed a test. The punishment associated with missing a test is the same as a dirty test. You can call that a "negotiation" all you want but the reality is the rules are getting enforced differently for different players. 

Of course if you just plan not to smoke pot for the next few years none of this really matters, but.......

But the phase of the program he is in only matters because it effects his next punishment.

I have no idea why you have to negotiate what the punishment is for the rules after you break them. He missed a test. The punishment associated with missing a test is the same as a dirty test. You can call that a "negotiation" all you want but the reality is the rules are getting enforced differently for different players. 

Of course if you just plan not to smoke pot for the next few years none of this really matters, but.......
False.   It affects when he exits the program as well.

A red flag because he negotiated his punishment??  We have now heard it all folks.  

Every thread in the world can end now.

He scores a ton of fantasy pts.but he's injury prone.And suspension prone. 

But, You trade OBJ all day long but keep players like Bell.FF is still rb-centric.always will be. You can find quality wrs on the street. Bell type players dont fall out of the sky..

I wouldn't sell him, but to suggest his running style will help or hurt him as he ages has no merit. We have never really seen a runner with this kind of style so we have no idea how he will age.

A red flag because he negotiated his punishment??  We have now heard it all folks.  

Every thread in the world can end now.
I guess I just never understood "negotiating" punishment for breaking the rules in the first place. I guess we should negotiate some holding plays will only be a three yard penalty while others will be an eight yard penalty? None of this is Bells fault of course, it just is ridiculous that different rules apply to different players and breaking rules is "negotiable" in the modern goodelled NFL.

But yes, it's telling everyone was very very interested what will happen when he breaks the rules again.

I agree with the sentiment that he is a sell high but more for fear of another failed drug test than a drop off in ability in the near future.  If I had him and could cash in for a nice haul I would move him before another potential failed drug test.

25 years old and it's already time for him to fill out his AARP paperwork. 

Imagine if people said to sell Ladainian Tomlinson after his 2004 season when he was 25 years old. 
Or if people sold Steven Jackson after 2008 when he was 25
Or ADP after 2010, yes when he turned 25
Go look at those statistics and see what you'd have missed

Every generation seems to have a RB who defies the laws of the position and goes on to have a very long career dominating the sport. I read somewhere the average career of significance for an NFL RB is 3 years. We can't predict if he will test positive for a banned substance or be victim to a suspect hit and be out for the season again, but Bell has talent we haven't really seen in the NFL. Sure, he has a specific kind of running style, but so did those above. The went on to have amazing careers, some record breaking, following their 25th birthday. 

If you own Bell, sit back and enjoy the ride for another 3-4 seasons. I know I really enjoy watching him play, and loved owning him this season. Wish I didn't have the last pick so I could jump on him again next season. 

Sure, if you sell now you are selling high. But you're selling a player who will stay high for another 2-3-4 seasons, barring injury

I wouldn't sell him, but to suggest his running style will help or hurt him as he ages has no merit. We have never really seen a runner with this kind of style so we have no idea how he will age.
Actually the player who's style he's most comparable to imo, Marcus Allen, aged very well. Allen didn't really see consistent heavy workloads so maybe that helped prolong his career but I don't see Bell's style as being a detriment.

Hankmoody said:
I"m guessing he stays high for a lot longer than that.
Me too, but I didn't want to start a debate of what if :) . However a lot has to do with his QB situation as well. Ben uses him a lot. A new QB may not or may, who knows. If PIT strikes out at QB teams can focus on RB. Hard to see a QB failing with those weapons though. 

BoltBacker said:
I guess I just never understood "negotiating" punishment for breaking the rules in the first place. I guess we should negotiate some holding plays will only be a three yard penalty while others will be an eight yard penalty? None of this is Bells fault of course, it just is ridiculous that different rules apply to different players and breaking rules is "negotiable" in the modern goodelled NFL.

But yes, it's telling everyone was very very interested what will happen when he breaks the rules again.
So Bell should fire his agent for helping him then??

Dr. Brew said:
Sure, if you sell now you are selling high. But you're selling a player who will stay high for another 2-3-4 seasons, barring injury
IMO, it's the suspension angle that carries more risk than the injury factor.

IMO, it's the suspension angle that carries more risk than the injury factor.
I don't know if I'd really agree with that. I mean a guy like Jamaal Charles I passed on for Bell in my draft. Yeah, common sense right? I believe Draft Dominator was telling me to take Charles. I can't be sure about that though. I dropped Charles down because of his injury and injury history. Same with Foster- he's been completely off my draft board because of his injuries. 

I would value injury risk greater than suspension risk. For Bell specifically, which is what I think you are talking about, the risk for him is greater for suspension. And that being said, I wouldn't' drop him down at all. I'd be confident taking him 1.01 next year. The guy knows he's on his last strike. He stands to lose a LOT of money (as I'm sure his contract will safeguard PIT against a suspension) if he gets in trouble again. 

So yeah, I guess I agree that for Bell suspension > injury for risk but I don't see him having much risk for suspension

I don't know if I'd really agree with that. I mean a guy like Jamaal Charles I passed on for Bell in my draft. Yeah, common sense right? I believe Draft Dominator was telling me to take Charles. I can't be sure about that though. I dropped Charles down because of his injury and injury history. Same with Foster- he's been completely off my draft board because of his injuries. 

I would value injury risk greater than suspension risk. For Bell specifically, which is what I think you are talking about, the risk for him is greater for suspension. And that being said, I wouldn't' drop him down at all. I'd be confident taking him 1.01 next year. The guy knows he's on his last strike. He stands to lose a LOT of money (as I'm sure his contract will safeguard PIT against a suspension) if he gets in trouble again. 

So yeah, I guess I agree that for Bell suspension > injury for risk but I don't see him having much risk for suspension
well since this is a "sell high" thread I think we're talking dynasty. In redraft you'd know about any suspension prior to the season. It's pretty rare that guys get busted in-season for recreational drugs.

I think most are talking dynasty.  He was suspended for 3 games in 2015 and another 3 games in 2016 for failed drug tests.  He has also lost some games due to injury.  For me knowing he has had suspensions each of the last 2 years I have to flag him as a high risk guy.  Maybe this is because I have several teams with Josh Gordon?  Gordon's issues have left him with pretty much zero value in my leagues.  I can't treat Bell as an elite young RB.  I have to treat him like an elite RB whose value could nose dive at any time.  This means I probably value him at less than his market value because somebody is probably more willing to take that risk so for me he is a perfect sell high guy.

well since this is a "sell high" thread I think we're talking dynasty. In redraft you'd know about any suspension prior to the season. It's pretty rare that guys get busted in-season for recreational drugs.
I would agree. I wouldn't change what I said above... Look at Doug Martin. He lost a lot of guaranteed money since he tested positive. PIT will undoubtedly protect themselves from paying Bell top dollar and then having him suspended for an entire season. There's no motivator like money, and if Bell stands to lose tens of millions of dollars by being a knucklehead then he is likely going to keep his head straight. If not, then he deserves to lose the money and people can come in here and quote this and tell me "I told you so." 

I would agree. I wouldn't change what I said above... Look at Doug Martin. He lost a lot of guaranteed money since he tested positive. PIT will undoubtedly protect themselves from paying Bell top dollar and then having him suspended for an entire season. There's no motivator like money, and if Bell stands to lose tens of millions of dollars by being a knucklehead then he is likely going to keep his head straight. If not, then he deserves to lose the money and people can come in here and quote this and tell me "I told you so." 
I actually agree that his risk of suspension isn't all that high. Maybe I'm being naïve but it just doesn't feel like a Gordon/Blackmon situation with Bell - maybe because the last suspension was because of a missed test. I was just pointing out that the suspension risk is a lot more real when discussing dynasty versus redraft for fairly obvious reasons.

Tell Ricky Williams that.  Tell Josh Gordon.  Look at what Manziel has done to himself.  History says that a drug issue can be tough to overcome and money lost just may not be enough.

Maybe I should have clarified. I don't consider Bell a greater injury risk vs. the typical back. Given that he has already had some suspensions, I would consider him at greater risk of suspension. I already said as a Bell owner I would have to be fooored by an offer to trade him. But I would trade pretty much anyone if someone offered a king's ransom. 

Tell Ricky Williams that.  Tell Josh Gordon.  Look at what Manziel has done to himself.  History says that a drug issue can be tough to overcome and money lost just may not be enough.
... or pick a Cowboy defensive player. Sheldon Richardson. Aldon Smith. Maybe none of these guys realized they were going to lose $.

Users who are viewing this thread