What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers hire John Lynch as GM (1 Viewer)

Goldalene

Footballguy
Adam Schefter Verified account
‏@adamschefter

SF is hiring Hall-of-Fame candidate and FOX analyst John Lynch as GM, sources tell ESPN. Lynch back to Bay Area, where he went to Stanford.

The San Francisco 49ers have made a shocking move on Pro Bowl Sunday.

The 49ers are hiring John Lynch to be their new general manager, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday. Fox Sports first reported the news. Rapoport added that the 49ers identified Lynch weeks ago as a potential GM.

It was never previously reported that Lynch was in the running for the vacant gig. Lynch has most recently served as an analyst for NFL game broadcasts on FOX since retiring in 2008.

Lynch will be replacing Trent Baalke, whom the Niners fired prior to the team's regular-season finale against the Seahawks on Jan. 1. The team is expected to name Kyle Shanahan their next head coach -- though that announcement has yet to become official. Shanahan is the offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons, who face the Patriots in Super Bowl LI next Sunday.

Lynch is a Hall of Fame finalist who played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Denver Broncos, helping the Bucs to their lone championship in Super Bowl XXXVII against the Raiders.

Around the NFL will have more on this story shortly.

As a Seattle fan I'm happy with this hire. Great hard nosed player. Calculating business man with the ability to evaluate talent? We'll see. 

Sounds like Uncle Chap's has struck again. If not, Kyle avoid SF and wait until next year to look for a head coaching job.

A first year head coach with a first year GM with zero personnel experience, what could go wrong?

Sounds like Uncle Chap's has struck again. If not, Kyle avoid SF and wait until next year to look for a head coaching job.

A first year head coach with a first year GM with zero personnel experience, what could go wrong?
Maybe they let Kyle  bring his dad along and hire him as Lynch's right hand man. I can't imagine they would make this hire without having discussed it with Kyle during their interviews. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports John Lynch came up with the idea to market himself as a general manager candidate, personally calling Kyle Shanahan to "volunteer for the job."
Lynch, who played for Kyle's dad Mike in Denver, apparently sold Kyle on himself via phone conversation "about a week ago." As Schefter put it, the whopping six-year deal the 49ers gave Lynch is "almost unprecedented" for any NFL general manager, let alone one with zero experience in running an organization or evaluating talent. Ultimately, the hiring of Lynch is probably more confirmation that Kyle will be running the show in San Francisco. Lynch is going to have to learn a lot on the job, including how to manage and deal with people, the business side, the draft process, making hirings and firings, and working collaboratively with a widely disliked ownership group.

I find it ironic, and I do believe it's possible if not likely,  that Mike Shanahan could soon be riding his son's coattails to a position in San Francisco's FO.

It's been reported that Kyle will get 6 years also. No wonder why the ticket prices aren't being increased for 2017 and 2018. Two years of OJT.

Last edited:
This is crazy. I'm actually shocked Shanahan would go for this unless he's given a ton of leverage in picking players. 

This is crazy. I'm actually shocked Shanahan would go for this unless he's given a ton of leverage in picking players. 

To me this is the biggest sign he will have final say over personnel. Lynch convinced him to give him a shot on a random phone call and I'm sure part of the appeal is working with someone his dad is cool with who doesn't have the experience/ego to fight him for control. Lynch is just happy for the opportunity.

If York was the deterrent to a "real" GM candidate coming onboard with Shanahan, the guys who interviewed and then re-signed with their current organizations wouldn't have even bothered to take the flight. Clearly during the interview process it was made clear that Shanahan would have a big say in personnel. They were only ever getting someone unqualified to demand final say, if they wanted Shanahan.

And the dual six year contracts...wow. This was not a desirable destination, obviously. But that's unprecedented.

Let's be honest, it could take 5-6 years to build anything from this dumpster fire. I wouldn't expect SF to be competitive in 3-4 years unless they absolutely hit the jackpot on the draft. 

Giving Lynch this long of a contract might be unprecedented but it's a great thing for Lynch to not have overwhelming pressure as a first time GM to turn what is one of the bottom 3 teams in the league into a contender within 3-4 years. He can do what he thinks he needs to do over the next several years to turn an abysmal franchise with rich history into a winner without looking over his shoulder. Good move by SF. 

Now whether Lynch can do that remains to be seen, but 6 years makes sense when you consider the state of the franchise and how it seems to be at the bottom of most people's' destination lists. 

Oakland was in a similar position in 2012 when they brought in Reggie McKenzie. 5 years later he had one of the most successful seasons since 2000-2002

Prediction: This works if they can get Cousins. Cousins plays for the franchise tag again and if SF doesn't get their guy in the draft this year or in 2018, signs Cousins or the Redskins will have to pay him like $33 million in 2018 if they want to franchise tag him again. A 44% raise.

Just because a guy doesn't have experience that doesn't mean he can't do it. Would you rather have a recycled loser? There are plenty of them around looking to keep a different franchise in the basement. They can be competitive in 2 years with Cousins with great drafts. ARI has no current plan for QB so they are heading south. Rams are not far ahead of SF and SEA is not what they once were.

Millen was garbage. He's dumb. He proved it.

Has there been a successful GM who had zero personnel or scouting experience prior to being a GM?  I'm seriously asking.
I don't know, John Elway is pretty close I suppose. I do know the incompetence of most of these recycled losers is staggering. I think John Lynch has what it takes to succeed at this level.

Prediction: This works if they can get Cousins. Cousins plays for the franchise tag again and if SF doesn't get their guy in the draft this year or in 2018, signs Cousins or the Redskins will have to pay him like $33 million in 2018 if they want to franchise tag him again. A 44% raise.

Just because a guy doesn't have experience that doesn't mean he can't do it. Would you rather have a recycled loser? There are plenty of them around looking to keep a different franchise in the basement. They can be competitive in 2 years with Cousins with great drafts. ARI has no current plan for QB so they are heading south. Rams are not far ahead of SF and SEA is not what they once were.

Millen was garbage. He's dumb. He proved it.
A thoughtful, intelligent post on the subject. Shocking. 

Shanahan is obviously going to have a lot of input on player selection, especially on the offensive side. I would assume Lynch has a good feel for the defensive side. Everything I have read says he's a smart guy. I would rather have an inexperienced smart guy than another retread. I like the fact they are giving him 6 years (reported Shanahan is getting 6 years as well).  This is a huge project and I like this combo as a starting point.  Will be interesting to see the next hires.

I have looked at the Cousins situation in the same way.  He seems content on playing under the franchise tag for another year.  Gonna be hard for the Redskins to pay him 34 million in 2018 if they don't pony up a long term deal to his liking.  SF has the money to give him a max deal.  

As the zen master said, "we'll see", but the Lynch/Shanahan combo exceeds my expectations of what Jed and Parog would end up with.  

Also , Detroit ownership is directly responsible for Matt Millen's legendary status as a GM. Without their incompetent ownership, he wouldn't be the measuring stick for GMs with zero experience.

A thoughtful, intelligent post on the subject. Shocking. 

Shanahan is obviously going to have a lot of input on player selection, especially on the offensive side. I would assume Lynch has a good feel for the defensive side. Everything I have read says he's a smart guy. I would rather have an inexperienced smart guy than another retread. I like the fact they are giving him 6 years (reported Shanahan is getting 6 years as well).  This is a huge project and I like this combo as a starting point.  Will be interesting to see the next hires.

I have looked at the Cousins situation in the same way.  He seems content on playing under the franchise tag for another year.  Gonna be hard for the Redskins to pay him 34 million in 2018 if they don't pony up a long term deal to his liking.  SF has the money to give him a max deal.  

As the zen master said, "we'll see", but the Lynch/Shanahan combo exceeds my expectations of what Jed and Parog would end up with.  
It wouldn't surprise me if Shanahan and Cousins have already discussed it.

Also , Detroit ownership is directly responsible for Matt Millen's legendary status as a GM. Without their incompetent ownership, he wouldn't be the measuring stick for GMs with zero experience.
Yeah, love how so many point to Millen as the surefire result of Lynch being hired. Millen's demeaner was of someone who didn't even want the job and didn't know how to surround himself with good people.  Just maybe Lynch does know how to.

49ers are a friggin mess, but you need a starting point to fix even the worst mess. Hiring two smart guys and giving them power in the form of 6 year contracts isn't a bad start. 

If SF had hired Lott or Young as GM, fan base would be doing summersalts  

Not if both of them are smart enough to keep it between themselves.  ?
True. I'm sure this happens more often than we ever know about it. I just don't really see the risk outweighing the reward. If that were ever to go public and SF were to be punished they'd be even more crippled with draft pick sanctions. 

But yeah, I'm sure these ideas are floated around all the time. I'm not naive enough to assume no one is tampering these days

Bigboy10182000 said:
Has there been a successful GM who had zero personnel or scouting experience prior to being a GM?  I'm seriously asking.

lod001 said:
I don't know, John Elway is pretty close I suppose. I do know the incompetence of most of these recycled losers is staggering. I think John Lynch has what it takes to succeed at this level.
Is there literally nothing in between "recycled loser" and "guy with no personnel or scouting experience"?

Is there literally nothing in between "recycled loser" and "guy with no personnel or scouting experience"?
Actually everyone is between them. A recycled loser is a guy who fails miserably at the job and yet another team hires him anyway, to do the same thing, of which he repeats his loser ways. A guy with no personnel or scouting experience has never even been given a chance...usually because the team is afraid to take the chance and would rather hire the recycled loser and continue sucking.

You are welcome.

Example: Rex Ryan is a recycled loser as an HC.

Yeah,  but those guys all decided to re-sign with their current, stable organizations rather than make SF their first GM job. Who can blame them? They'll be just as sought after in the future.

Having a hard time believing the "he called and volunteered for the job" storyline.  Sounds like a load of BS.

I would bet it was more like Lynch and Shanahan talked, agreed they wanted to work together and then approached the 49ers about it.  Since Shanahan isn't officially the coach, this fairytale was perpetrated.

This is an interesting hire.  It will probably be rough in SF as Lynch learns the job but he seems like he will be devoted. 

Users who are viewing this thread