What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Semi-official POST YOUR 2017 ROOKIE DRAFTS!!! (1 Viewer)

spider321

Footballguy
I know FBG has all but abandoned dynasty league players, but that doesn't mean the board has to do the same!!!

:blackdot:

I will be mildly surprised if you turn up any rookie drafts before the Super Bowl has even been played, but who knows?  FF can be a wild ride in some corners...

I'll have two that occur after the combine but before the NFL draft, I'll be sure to post them. Only one will be devy-weakened.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would make it interesting for sure. Probably increase the value of later picks as well.
You really have to do your homework. We do 7 rds and offseason rosters go from 30 to 40 so it's pretty deep teams. I like it, guys can't really just be ranked on a list, you have to take a stance.

You really have to do your homework. We do 7 rds and offseason rosters go from 30 to 40 so it's pretty deep teams. I like it, guys can't really just be ranked on a list, you have to take a stance.
It makes no sense because you don't know the style of O, the Oline, the QB or the depth chart. You can do all the homework there is but it's a wasted effort if he goes to the wrong place.

We've had this discussion here so many times. All the negatives people list are 100% accurate, yes. 

I'm in two leagues that draft like this, before the NFL Draft. Would I want all my leagues to do this? No, it introduces more luck into the equation. But I have 4 other more standard leagues, so it's fun to have something different. 

The high point of the year, moreso even than in normal leagues, is the rookie draft. It may slightly hurt the value of mid-late 1sts but it significantly helps the value of lottery ticket picks later on. Like the poster above, we do 7 rounds (non-IDP) and have deep rosters. 

Does someone occasionally draft Carroo or Da'Rick Rogers way too high? Yeah, and we all chat and point fingers about it as the NFL Draft is ongoing, it's a blast. It comes with the territory and leads to people having fierce loyalty to "their guys". Is that how I play in my other leagues? Not at all, but it's different and fun. And you can also get some total steals if you do your homework and have their names on your radar before anyone else. Knowing who John Brown is, liking him, and taking him in the 6th before the Steelers surprisingly draft him in the 3rd round and make people take notice is a sweet feeling. 

It's not for everyone and I wouldn't want all my leagues to do it--but it's fun and its a challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would make it interesting for sure. Probably increase the value of later picks as well.
It just puts to much of a luck/fluke factor into it for me. Look at a guy like Joe Mixon for instance. If the Jets or Bucs grab him in the 3rd you could make a case for him being a RB1 next year, but if the Steelers grab him in the 3rd to backup and eventually replace Bell he could be completely useless for years.

I guess for me in this age of internet drafts basically making it almost idiot proof this format pays off if you do your own work. When you get into the 3rd and you can't just look at Rotoworlds list and take the next guy you actually have to research and decide for yourself. Yes, there is luck factor. No, I wouldn't want to do all leagues like this. But when you take a guy who isn't all that hyped based on measurable and he pays off (think tajae sharpe) modestly it's a good feeling. It really doesn't change the top of the draft all that much. 

After looking back at the leagues everyone was pretty much within 5-6 spots one way or the other after draft. Most glaring was caroo at 1.7 pre 2.2 post. Prosise at 2.4 pre 1.6 post (reach with Thomas Henry Dixon available). Speaking of Henry he was 3.2 pre 2.8 post. The qbs all moved up post draft. 

Both of my leagues that do this start drafting on April 15th, so I'll put them up here when the time comes. 

In one of the leagues I had a ton of early picks, but got good value on them in trades for vets so I'm down to mostly 2nd-7th round picks now. Should be a blast trying to pick the guys who will rise later.

I was in this league for 15 years. It was a auction and dynasty league. We had contracts on all players and free agents could be bid on during our Free Agent Night. Then we had a rookie draft some time later. When this league started the commissioner thought it was a good idea to have the Free Agent Night right after the Super Bowl. We would be bidding on players on FA night weeks before NFL free agency happened and months before the draft. So someone could put solid money on a guy that was cut for salary cap reasons or an aging vet who looked to have one more good year left, but the team signed a better player once NFL free agency opened. OR, you could sign a guy and then have the NFL team he was on spend a top 10 pick on that position. And it was so early in the process there just wasn't any way to have any idea where NFL teams were leaning. It was a nightmare. Took me about 5 years to get that changed. Guys said they liked the uncertainty. I preferred to work based on skill and knowledge not a guess and a prayer. 

Users who are viewing this thread