Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hankmoody

All 32 defensive schemes and key players within them

62 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2017 at 0:30 PM, Flying Elvis said:

Any useful news on how the LB situation is likely to shake out in NOLA? Laurinaitis retires, leaving the MLB job up for grabs between . . . ? Klein and Robertson? Ellerbe is still WLB? Stupar back to ST/reserve and there's a rookie in the mix, as well, right? Roto has Klein as MLB1 with Robertson as SLB. Any merit to this? Trying to get ahead of the MLB spot on a team that generally seems to score well on offense, providing plenty of opps for the IDPs.

I'd guess Anthony would be in the mix here too.  Coach has talked him up.

At least I hope he is.......

You're only making it harder! lol. Thanks, though. With 4 players potentially in the mix for 1 MLB spot, it's probably safest to invest elsewhere with that roster spot if there's another player on the wire with a clear path to productivity.

Posted (edited)

Roto finally has LAC showing a 4-3 alignment and Melvin Ingram is the lucky winner to reclassify to DE.

SFO has also been changed, but both Aaron Lynch and Eli Harold, the two best candidates to switch, are still listed at LB.  Newly signed Elvis Dumerville is listed at DE.  And the biggest bonus is Solomon Thomas is still listed at DT for those in leagues that use that position.  I don't see him staying that way but for now it's fun to consider.

Edited by Hankmoody

Wrong Melvin.... Melvin Ingram as DE 

They also list Perryman as ILB with Jatavis Brown as WLB. Any confirmation on that position through mini camp? May only be a slight production gap like Wagner/Wright in Seattle.

Ha, as I was typing up another comment earlier it popped into my head "did I actually type Gordon over in that IDP thread?" and I got distracted and forgot to check.

Definitely plenty of room for 2 LB's to score in that D and I think that they were always going to be Perryman and Brown, assuming health.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I feel like there should be a bit more buzz around the Bills signing Gerald Hodges. All of the existing linebackers seem to be interior guys and he was solid the past two seasons in Min/SF without getting a full workload. Only 26 years old AFAIK and the schemes the HC/DC came from produced WIL's Thomas Davis and Lavante David. From an athletic perspective Hodges was bigger, stronger, and had similar burst scores but was slower. He has trimmed down about 10 pounds from those days so while he's still probably not the athlete those two are with a full compliment of snaps and counterparts that may not be suited for the scheme the opportunity should be there to carry him to a career year. Sounds like an LB4 with LB3 upside to me and it seems like he's completely off of peoples radar.

Edited by NingDynasty

The concern with that is probably contention for snaps.  They have Ragland who is made to be a MIKE, so Preston Brown is the likely WILL in that case.

14 hours ago, NingDynasty said:

I feel like there should be a bit more buzz around the Bills signing Gerald Hodges. All of the existing linebackers seem to be interior guys and he was solid the past two seasons in Min/SF without getting a full workload. Only 26 years old AFAIK and the schemes the HC/DC came from produced WIL's Thomas Davis and Lavante David. From an athletic perspective Hodges was bigger, stronger, and had similar burst scores but was slower. He has trimmed down about 10 pounds from those days so while he's still probably not the athlete those two are with a full compliment of snaps and counterparts that may not be suited for the scheme the opportunity should be there to carry him to a career year. Sounds like an LB4 with LB3 upside to me and it seems like he's completely off of peoples radar.

Hodges is just a guy.  I don't think anything special and as Hankmoody mentioned Ragland and Brown are still there.  I don't see much happening here.

I haven't seen much talk about Jon Bostic. He's on Indy now and he and Spence have been getting starters reps in OTAs and Minicamps. He's been getting some positive buzz. Former 2nd round draft pick who has dealt with a bunch of injuries. I picked him up off of waivers last week. Cheap pickup with decent upside who can be dropped early if he gets hurt again or loses the starting spot to Edwin Jackson or Antonio Morrison.

7 hours ago, ChicagoArch said:

I haven't seen much talk about Jon Bostic. He's on Indy now and he and Spence have been getting starters reps in OTAs and Minicamps. He's been getting some positive buzz. Former 2nd round draft pick who has dealt with a bunch of injuries. I picked him up off of waivers last week. Cheap pickup with decent upside who can be dropped early if he gets hurt again or loses the starting spot to Edwin Jackson or Antonio Morrison.

I thought he was seen as strictly as a 2-downer.

On 6/30/2017 at 7:36 AM, ChicagoArch said:

I did the same.  Minimum bid for a guy getting glowing reports right now.  I'm a huge Spence fan but that injury early on seemed to really impact him for good.  This looks like a reasonable roll of the dice.

What value does Kiko hold? Most news has him at wlb so his value tanks, correct? 

13 hours ago, Flying Elvis said:

What value does Kiko hold? Most news has him at wlb so his value tanks, correct? 

I don't think it does. I think he's still a 3 down LB, you want his speed on the field on passing downs. As has been pointed out, Wright and Wagner manage to both do well in Seattle at MLB and WLB.

14 hours ago, Flying Elvis said:

Not at all.  There are plenty of productive WILL in the league.  Barron, Telvin Smith, Thomas Davis, Lavonte David just to name a few.  The key is playing 3 downs and actually being good.

1 person likes this

Ok, thanks. I was thinking he'd have the potential to be like Ellerbe . . . injury concerns and all. Thanks.

Well I suppose he could, but that's not about playing WILL per se, just like Ellerbee's concerns aren't about playing WILL.  If the guy has injury problems or skill issues it won't matter where he lines up, he'll struggle to score.  But the WILL position in general puts playmakers in a position to make plays.  It's a bit unique in that it takes a more specific skillset than some other LB spots do.  It's an "off ball" position so starts a few steps from the line of scrimmage and isn't always accounted for in the blocking scheme.  The best WILL are those that can quickly diagnose the play, have the speed to get to the ball from farther away, and can sift through "trash" - various OL/DL/LB that aren't really schemed to stop the WILL, but are just "in the way" of the ball carrier - to get to the ball quickly.

Think of how guys try to defend Steph Curry - they stay back, chase him around the court, run through screens and picks, and when the ball is passed to him, they rush to get into his face.  That's a WILL. 

Again, the key, as with nearly all LB, is if he's on the field for passing downs.  If so he can get a lot of RB or TE coverage assignments or even just dropping into zone and cleaning up anything that happens around him.  Even if that only gets two tackles per game, that's an additional 4 PPG.  It takes a guy from an 11.0 per game  "two down thumper" to a 15.0 LB1. 

*standard disclaimer - there is no universal concept defensively, they are all different, so one team's WILL might have very different skills, assignments, and results than another's depending on each team's coaching philosophy.

2 people like this

The KC ILB depth chart is getting as muddy as OAK's and Indy's. They resigned Josh Mauga. He would've started last year if not for injury. If you've been holding onto Ramik Wilson or Justin March-Lillard, you may need to grab Mauga to protect your investment. So I'm now holding Wilson, Mauga and Eligwe. That's not too many KC Lbs, I tell myself...

Posted (edited)

I didn't see the Browns game this week.  Are they running the Big Nickel?  If so, was there a DB who benefited in that alignment?

Edited by jedimindtricks

Heading into the all-important 3rd preseason game, how are things looking for that Saints LB core? Roto now has Teo listed as the starting ILB with Anthony as WLB and Klein as SLB, but the blurb on Anzalone is that he's likely to win the starting WLB spot over Anthony. If Klein sticks at SLB is he worth owning at all? Is this all still as muddy as the Mississippi?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Flying Elvis said:

Heading into the all-important 3rd preseason game, how are things looking for that Saints LB core? Roto now has Teo listed as the starting ILB with Anthony as WLB and Klein as SLB, but the blurb on Anzalone is that he's likely to win the starting WLB spot over Anthony. If Klein sticks at SLB is he worth owning at all? Is this all still as muddy as the Mississippi?

Well, then this blurb popped through the news cycle at MFL:

"(RotoWire) Klein made six tackles (four solo) and notched a quarterback hit and a half sack in Sunday's preseason game against the Chargers. According to Mike Triplett of ESPN.com, Klein looks like a lock to start at linebacker for the Saints in Week 1.

Analysis: Klein signed a three-year, $15 million deal on the first day of free agency, as the Saints lured the four-year veteran away from the rival Panthers. The 6-foot-1, 240-pound linebacker was terrific in his second preseason game in New Orleans and has taken over as the commanding "quarterback" of the Saints' defense, playing a dual role as a strong-side linebacker in base defense and the middle linebacker on passing downs. While Klein has never recorded more that 55 tackles in a season, the former fifth-round draft pick looks like a cinch to surpass his career highs as long as he stays healthy."

nevermind on that question about Klein's value.... lol

Edited by Flying Elvis

I don't know if Teo got more playing time, the start etc. because it was against his old team, but you could see the potential if he plays with the same motivation as he did last night. He could be a great pick up.   7 solos and a sack.   Klein was all over the field as well.  He will be a SLB, but in on 3rd downs.  Anthony did not dress, so we did not see how he competes with Anzalone, but the steady but non spectacular C. Robertson split the reps with Anzalone.   To be honest if the season started today I think Robertson would be playing the WLB spot. 

1 person likes this

The Saints opened in nickel and it was all Klein and Anzalone.  Vaccaro played in the box all night and Marcus Williams and Vonn Bell played twin tower based on offensive alignment.