What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dumbest SB playcaller Shanahan or Bevell (1 Viewer)

Both these morons gifted a SB to New England.

• Shanahan

Votes: 38 69.1%
  • Bevell

Votes: 17 30.9%

• Total voters
Not really.  You have a 16 point lead, run a deep out on a 3rd and 1 with 6 minutes left.  Then you run a pass play at the opponent's 25 up 8, that leads to a sack.  Then you run another pass at the 35 that leads to a holding call, taking you out of FG range when 3 points wins you the game.  It's the worst playcalling when it counts ever, Bevill got them to the 2 from behind (and I don't like Bevill) when Shannahan had the game in his back pocket.  Atlanta wins that game 98 times out of 100 without Shannahan's clowntown. 

Not really.  You have a 16 point lead, run a deep out on a 3rd and 1 with 6 minutes left.  Then you run a pass play at the opponent's 25 up 8, that leads to a sack.  Then you run another pass at the 35 that leads to a holding call, taking you out of FG range when 3 points wins you the game.  It's the worst playcalling when it counts ever, Bevill got them to the 2 from behind (and I don't like Bevill) when Shannahan had the game in his back pocket.  Atlanta wins that game 98 times out of 100 without Shannahan's clowntown. 
AND 2 years earlier you witnessed the previous 'dumbest play call' and learned nothing from it. In fact you basically repeated it...twice. Sorry SF, but you got a moron coming your way who think he's hot #### but he's really dog ####.

AND 2 years earlier you witnessed the previous 'dumbest play call' and learned nothing from it. In fact you basically repeated it...twice. Sorry SF, but you got a moron coming your way who think he's hot #### but he's really dog ####.
Pretty much what a Shannahan does.  Is there a less respected two-time Super Bowl winner than Mike? 

Kyle will be back coordinating in two years. 

NFL PLayoff History - teams up 19 or more going into the 4th quarter were 93-0 until tonight.

Kyle is in a class by himself here.

Bevell made one call when he need to score. Kyle only had to eat clock and set up a FG (that would've added cushion) and made multiple bad calls. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean seriously, I complained about Shannahan as it was unfolding in the game thread.  You have to run the ball and he has the horses to do just that.  It's fine to punt up 16 with 6 minutes left, but ole Kyle had to run a long corner route for no reason at all.  Quinn has to call him on that though.  You're calling what?  No, run it.  If we don't make it we punt and they burn it down to 2 minutes even if they get a TD. 

I mean seriously, I complained about Shannahan as it was unfolding in the game thread.  You have to run the ball and he has the horses to do just that.  It's fine to punt up 16 with 6 minutes left, but ole Kyle had to run a long corner route for no reason at all.  Quinn has to call him on that though.  You're calling what?  No, run it.  If we don't make it we punt and they burn it down to 2 minutes even if they get a TD. 
Quinn and Ryan take some heat for not over riding/audibling but it's still the OCs poor play calling that is the root of this disaster. 

Quinn and Ryan take some heat for not over riding/audibling but it's still the OCs poor play calling that is the root of this disaster. 
Agreed.  It's like the two person concept with nuclear codes, except in this case there were three people!  Kyle calls the play, Quinn says no we are running it.  It Quinn says nothing, as he did, Ryan the league MVP says audible to a run.  We are on the 20, run it into the line at worst and go up by 11.  Sickening, gllllllll 49ers! 

Yep, Shanahan ####ed it all up. Matt Ryan and Quinn choked under the pressure by not overruling the moron.

I'm willing to grant that the totality of the playcalling gives it to Shanahan. But the Seahawks' decision to pass is the single-worst playcall in the history of the Super Bowl. I saw nothing on Sunday to change my mind.

One bad call by the Seahawks. An entire quarter of bad calls by the Falcons. Even if you couldnt run, you still run to kill clock. But the Falcons were averaging 6 ypc. When you're up by that much you're no longer playing against your opponent as much as you're playing against the clock. 

On the 23 up 8 with six minutes left. Just take two GD knees, kick the GD field goal and pick up your GD trophy. Morons.

Neither.  Questionable calls...sure.  However, they aren't the ones who failed to execute.
Sorry...can't agree with this.  They were killing the Pats all night long running the football and went away from it?  Insanity.  In fact, I think you could say Shanahan failed to execute.

Yep, Shanahan ####ed it all up. Matt Ryan and Quinn choked under the pressure by not overruling the moron.
How often has Matt Ryan overruled his OC?  (I think the answer is less than Brady or Peyton, which is part of the reason they are HOF bound and Ryan, despite being mvp, isn't)

Neither.  Questionable calls...sure.  However, they aren't the ones who failed to execute.
As a coach you call the plays which give you the best opportunity to execute well and put you in position to win.  It doesn't take a genius to know that running the ball was the smart choice.  Eat up some clock, maybe make them use a TO and go for the FG.  Even if they don't make the FG it makes it much harder for the Patriots to come back.

On the 23 up 8 with six minutes left. Just take two GD knees, kick the GD field goal and pick up your GD trophy. Morons.
That's not right either.  Who's going to kneel the ball at that point in the game.  Run the ball to get closer and possibly even pick up a first down.  That's how you put a game away.

That's not right either.  Who's going to kneel the ball at that point in the game.  Run the ball to get closer and possibly even pick up a first down.  That's how you put a game away.
Kneel twice and you risk no turnover and you risk no penalty. The bottom line is if they do it your way or my way, they're SB champions today and not the biggest chokers in SB history.

Kneel twice and you risk no turnover and you risk no penalty. The bottom line is if they do it your way or my way, they're SB champions today and not the biggest chokers in SB history.
I know what you're getting at with the kneeling but I can't imagine a team actually doing that, Not with that much time left on the clock.

Bevell, purely because he had Beast Mode and didn't use him.  Shanahan should have used more run plays, but I think not using Marshawn was criminal.

This is absolutely wrong.

Bevell's call was designed to be a quick pass that catches NE off guard. He still had more downs to use but not much clock and not enough time outs to run every play. Out of all the potential outcomes only 1 outcome was truly bad, an INT. Anything else, catch, TD, incomplete, sack were all still manageable or better. And if they didn't get a TD there, they had Beast Mode in the chute. Also, Butler did make a pretty good play on that ball. I'm not saying it was the right or best call but at least there is some reasoning behind it. 

Shannahan's play call (twice) only has 1 positive out come, a completion. An incomplete, sack, INT all post negative results. Even if you take away the potential outcomes of the play, the situations of both is different too. The Falcons were just trying seal a win, they didn't need to do anything. "Unsuccessful" runs are effective in last nights game. 

It has to be Shanahan. Hell the Pats themselves almost blew the game in a spot on the goalline where they got cute and should have run and not pass. That fade on 1st and goal at the end of the game was almost picked. No reason not to pound it against a gassed defense. Luckily they got a second chance and ran it on second down.

Bevell made one call when he need to score. Kyle only had to eat clock and set up a FG (that would've added cushion) and made multiple bad calls. 
This is what I was gong to say. Bevell made one bad call. Kyle made several, I mean they only threw 5 passes after getting up 28-3.

Bevell made a bad call, Kyle had a bad half. Case closed.

It has to be Shanahan. Hell the Pats themselves almost blew the game in a spot on the goalline where they got cute and should have run and not pass. That fade on 1st and goal at the end of the game was almost picked. No reason not to pound it against a gassed defense. Luckily they got a second chance and ran it on second down.
Agreed.

Hawkeye21 said:
As a coach you call the plays which give you the best opportunity to execute well and put you in position to win.  It doesn't take a genius to know that running the ball was the smart choice.  Eat up some clock, maybe make them use a TO and go for the FG.  Even if they don't make the FG it makes it much harder for the Patriots to come back.
I think it was a situation, similar to Carroll in the SB and his decision to throw v. run.  Trying to out-think/guess NE's coaches.  Everyone expected a run so Shanny Jr. decides to throw.  Maybe these situations happened all year (I didn't see many ATL games) but they never came back to bite them...? 

What's even more crazy than not running the ball is how they snapped the ball with over 20 seconds left on the play clock.  Clock management is a skill that fewer coaches seem to have.

I say Skeleton, JR had the worst call.  The difference to me is that Bevell was behind and trying to score, which necessitates more action and risk taking.  It's a bad call for sure the way it worked out but despite our "common sense" statistically M Lynch was NOT a gimme call in that situation.  Lynch simply was not unstoppable in that situation and with only 30 seconds left, you could make a case for passing on that particular down.  See here for an analysis:  https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/02/02/statistically-seahawks-play-call-not-bad-you-think/9Tt9A9avhWuaZGXBlTdTDI/story.html  Bottom line -- the Bevell call, while it didn't work out, could at least be defended statistically.

In the case of Kyle, he wasn't under pressure to be aggressive in that situation.  He could play conservative and be doing the smart thing.  Also, you cannot defend his call statistically.  Clearly, most teams in that situation who take the air out of the ball in that situation do in fact win.

I think it's Shanahan and not even close.

BusterTBronco said:
Mike Shanahan = Skeletor

Kyle Shanahan = Skeleton Jr.
lol...i realized my typo shortly after I made it but just left it there because it amused me.   :-D  That said, thanks for the clarification!  :-)

I say Skeleton, JR had the worst call.  The difference to me is that Bevell was behind and trying to score, which necessitates more action and risk taking.  It's a bad call for sure the way it worked out but despite our "common sense" statistically M Lynch was NOT a gimme call in that situation.  Lynch simply was not unstoppable in that situation and with only 30 seconds left, you could make a case for passing on that particular down.  See here for an analysis:  https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/02/02/statistically-seahawks-play-call-not-bad-you-think/9Tt9A9avhWuaZGXBlTdTDI/story.html  Bottom line -- the Bevell call, while it didn't work out, could at least be defended statistically.

In the case of Kyle, he wasn't under pressure to be aggressive in that situation.  He could play conservative and be doing the smart thing.  Also, you cannot defend his call statistically.  Clearly, most teams in that situation who take the air out of the ball in that situation do in fact win.

I agree with this but, regarding the Seattle call, it wasn't just the pass call, it was also that it was a pass to the middle of the field right into traffic where bad things are more likely to happen.

I agree with this but, regarding the Seattle call, it wasn't just the pass call, it was also that it was a pass to the middle of the field right into traffic where bad things are more likely to happen.
Yeah, I agree that was asking for trouble...I don't think it was a GOOD call, just not as BAD as Shanarat, JR. :-)

I think it was a situation, similar to Carroll in the SB and his decision to throw v. run.  Trying to out-think/guess NE's coaches.  Everyone expected a run so Shanny Jr. decides to throw.  Maybe these situations happened all year (I didn't see many ATL games) but they never came back to bite them...? 
The formation was pass only. I was screaming at the TV. There was no threat of a possible run. The RB was in no position to be handed the ball. He was in front and to the right of Ryan. Belicheck had to be laughing when his DC called to go after Ryan since there was no threat to run.

That article didn't seem very compelling. Just the fact, IIRC, Lynch had gained at least a yard on 22/24 carries that game. Sounds like some Bostonians trying to act like the Seattle didn't screw the pooch.  :D

Just to illustrate how dumb the pass call was, Matt Bryan was 31 for 32 on FGs under 50 yards this season.

Users who are viewing this thread