What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the most famous person with whom you have had a beer? (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
Nearly everyone has had some brush with fame, but who have you sat down with and had beer (or other beverage)?

For me, there are three people who loosely qualify as famous.  Once when I was in Grad School I ran into Bruce Hornsby at a local watering hole in Williamsburg, he joined us at our table and we talked about the music industry for a bit - he bought the table a round and good times were had by all.

Second was at a tailgate party at one of the houses that surround Lambeau Field, Bart Starr was there and I had a chance to talk with him for a while - very magnanimous with his time, and given his status in Green Bay, I was surprised to see people just let him mingle.  I had gotten his autograph when I was a kid, so it was pretty cool to have a chance to actually talk to him as an adult.

Third was more fleeting - I had met up with a bunch of friends in Atlanta to watch the Super Bowl, one of the girls had invited a sorority sister from University of Florida, and she brought a date - Jason Varitek, who was still at Georgia Tech at the time, but if I recall correctly, this was before his senior season, after he had turned down a contract after his junior season.  Very quiet guy, mostly kept to himself.

I was getting a beer at the Joe when they started setting up a table behind me... I heard it was for Gordie Howe to sell and sign his book...  I was first in line, bought the book and got his autograph.. While signing my book, he looked at my beer, looked at me and said "Son, are you old enough to be drinking that beer?".. I said with a big goofy grin "Yes, sir, I am!"..  I was 26 and looked 16...

He smiled, shook his head and said "You kids keep getting younger and younger"

Does that count?

Last edited by a moderator:
about half of the 2008 Boston Celtic team and Danny Ainge at a hotel bar in Pittsburgh;  

Jim McMahon in a bar in Cabo

Jared Leto sat next to me at a bar in Park City.  Didn't really know who he was at the time...This was probably 12 years ago. 

I said hey, he said hey and we both had a beer.  This fits right? 

Not sure he had a beer, but Joey Belladonna (lead singer for Anthrax).  While he was out of the band, he did some solo tours.  A friend of mine was his promoter for the area, so we would go out to eat with him before the show, and hang out afterwards.  The most surreal experience was when he came over to my friends house after a show once and we played Halo.

the whole 2001 New York Islanders team.

My college hockey teammate worked for the team back then and they hosted a charity event at my local rink. So I went down to hang with my buddy and made plans to go to the Hooters a few blocks away for dinner. When we got there, the team had taken over the whole back area and they invited us over to sit with them.

After dinner, the players passed around an empty pitcher and each one put their credit card into it. When it got back to the first player, he started pulling them out 1 by 1 and eventually the last player pulled payed for the whole meal.

Derek Roy, Andrew Peters and Adam Mair a couple crappy NHL players 10 years ago or Lee Evans routinely tailgates with our group.  His father still enjoys coming to the games.

In the 90s after going to a Yankee game with my buddies Jeb and Jay, we went to Morans which was a bar with a lot of outside tables by the WTC (still there at the time). We were at a table and some dude was dunking his head in the fountain by our table just being a fun idiot. We sent over a round of shots to his table a bit later, two chicks and one other guy. Later they sent us over shots and my buddy Jeb said "hey that's Robert Smith" (former OSU RB and at the time on the Vikings). We called them over and it turned out that he overheard my friend Jeb talking about the South Park episode with Robert Smith (from the Cure) and he thought we were talking about him and thought that's why we sent the shots. Had some more beers and shots, told him he was on one of my fantasy football teams and how I hated Leroy Hoard (not the poster here) for stealing all his TDs. He said "me too". His buddy from Ohio State (not a player, the white dude sticking his head in the fountain) lived in Jersey City and he was visiting him. He said they were going to ditch the girls and go to Scores (famous NYC strip club) and asked us to go. We did of course. I hung out at the bar there all night. Strippers probably sensed the guy had money as they were all over him. He's a real good looking guy also (NTTAWWT). Its was a blast. He was an awesome dude. We were all just a bunch of guys in our 20s having a great night.

I went to college with one of Bill Rafftery's (college basketball announcer "and the kiss") daughter and have hung out with him at a NYE party and a shore house party. Dude can knock back his whiskey and tell some great stories.

Played pool in a bar around the corner from Irving Plaza (in NYC) with Scott Ian (Anthrax). We were going to see Tenacious D. So was he. We were also with Aaron Maxwell (from the God Street Wine, a jam band that made it fairly big - played with the Black Crowes and Blues Travelar on one of the H.O.A.R.D.E tours but not huge) who was my friend's high school buddy.

Derek Roy, Andrew Peters and Adam Mair a couple crappy NHL players 10 years ago or Lee Evans routinely tailgates with our group.  His father still enjoys coming to the games.
Does Lee routinely drop his beer cup?

Sorry, Ravens fan still not over the 2011 AFC Championship game.

Max McGee

Elroy, Crazy Legs Hirsch  (He use to buy for everyone after a Badger win, I just happened to be directly next to him.)

Bob Dylan

Hulk Hogan 

Catherine Zeta Jones  (This one is a technicality)

I was at a party in Vegas at the Foundation Room and Andre Dawson and Jeremy Roenick were there. Dawson was pretty quiet, but Roenick was outgoing and when he found out I was from MN, he told of the day that Jim Johnson knocked him out in a game Vs the North Stars. Seemed like a pretty good guy for the 20 minutes I talked to him. 

Keith Richards.  

Martha's Vineyard, summer '00.  Keith's son used to spend a lot of time there (maybe he still does).  Keith became friendly with the chef/owner at place I bartended.  Chef invited me to his house to hang with Keith.  Smoked weed and drank with Keith.  No beer, tho.  Keith drinks double Stoli, Campari, and soda.  Funny guy, had no idea he was so funny.  Will talk music as long as you want.  

Will be music heavy:

Classical: Yo-Yo MA and Itzhak Perlman, the latter had wine. 

Jazz (and classical): Wynton and Branford Marselis. 

Rock/Rap: Smoked up for a couple hours after the bar closed with Cypress Hill in their tour bus. B Real still trying to hook up with my wife, can't blame a guy for trying (we all exchanged cell #s... how come he never lets ME know when they are going to be in town for a show! ) :coffee:  

I smoked crack with a guy who once did backup vocals for a bands self released album.

i think we had beer too.

Screamin' Scott Simon of Sha Na Na. Beer and weed before the show. I didn't know who he was so was pretty surprised to see him on stage singing.

Had more than a beer..sat the whole night at a wedding at the same table with Bob Seger. Segers future wife at the time worked with my best friends wife and we were invited to the same wedding. Was way before IPhones but I do have one grainy picture.

Paging @wikkidpissah to the white courtesy phone.
Tom Hanks, Jimmy Carter (and Ham&Jody), Jay Leno (i had the beer, he didnt - was his b'day, got him champers, he didn't touch it, dont drink. watched Monty Python's first movie w him and a bunch of Emerson guys once, too) and Keith Richards would be the top 4

Dated Wendy Nix.  Dated Sy Sperlings' business partner's daughter and had dinner with him a few times.  Was a bartender at aerosmith's club and met a lot of musicians, favorites were Marilyn Manson and James Hatfield. Played hoops with vinny baker.

Keith Richards.  

Martha's Vineyard, summer '00.  Keith's son used to spend a lot of time there (maybe he still does).  Keith became friendly with the chef/owner at place I bartended.  Chef invited me to his house to hang with Keith.  Smoked weed and drank with Keith.  No beer, tho.  Keith drinks double Stoli, Campari, and soda.  Funny guy, had no idea he was so funny.  Will talk music as long as you want.  
You win.

Keith Richards.  

Unbelievably bright & convivial guy, right? *told this before* Met him briefly when he came up to a club in Conn w Nicky Hopkins & Bobby Keys to support Martha Reeves in her first solo venture. Saw him @ a party on Sanibel Island 2-3 yrs later and he remembered my name. "Dayoo (the London pronunciation of my given name) - you were wif Maaaafa, yeah? *laughlaughcoughlaugh*"

Oh, forgot one. I was at my wife's accounting firm's Christmas party one year and their receptionist's date was former BC and NFL QB Glenn Foley (he was divorced and she also worked at a gym he was a member of). We all drank plenty that night. He was really humble and never once mentioned who he was, despite everyone knowing. In fact at one point we were chatting and he said something like "Yeah, I went to Boston College...". I just said "I know" and left it at that.

I didn't have the heart to tell him I dressed up as him for Halloween some years before that. He had lost his job as the Jets' starting QB so I wore my roommate's Foley jersey, put head-phones around my neck and carried a clip board and went to a party at a bar in NYC.

Oh, forgot one. I was at my wife's accounting firm's Christmas party one year and their receptionist's date was former BC and NFL QB Glenn Foley (he was divorced and she also worked at a gym he was a member of). We all drank plenty that night. He was really humble and never once mentioned who he was, despite everyone knowing. In fact at one point we were chatting and he said something like "Yeah, I went to Boston College...". I just said "I know" and left it at that.

I didn't have the heart to tell him I dressed up as him for Halloween some years before that. He had lost his job as the Jets' starting QB so I wore my roommate's Foley jersey, put head-phones around my neck and carried a clip board and went to a party at a bar in NYC.
:lmao:

Stevie Ray is a blues  guitar God that died way too early and MJW is Theo from the Cosby show. 

Neither is a household name though 
I can see maybe not knowing who Jamal-Warner is, but what size rock do you have to live under to not know who Stevie Ray Vaughn is? :lol:     

I think mine was Dave Semenko, famous hockey goon from Oiler fame. Protected Gretzky. Was in a local bar in SPFLD, MA. We had some beers. At one point, some guy insulted his hockey talent by telling him that there was a men's league tournament in Montreal, but he wasn't good enough to play in it. He wasn't visibly pissed, but even goons have talent, so I knew he was. The guy insulting him was an overweight sorta Boston-ite fat guy with a cane. I calmed David down really quickly by telling him I knew how good he actually was. 

Even goons can play, boys.  

eta* We then rolled to a strip club. Of course. I listened to The Stooges. He talked about his days at Studio 54 and the legendary #### they saw. It was a fun night.  

Tom Brady in an Irish pub in SF just after his first SB win.  He was with a few local friends and I happened to be sitting kind of in between them talking to one of them.  The place was packed, but nobody recognized Brady, including me.  Finally, one of his friends introduced him and I shook his hand, congratulated him, and we spoke for a few minutes.  Seemed like a nice enough guy.

I've got a decent list:

- Paul Wasilewski (stage name Paul Wesley, childhood friend)

- Mike Sorrentino (we were close buddies back in the day)

- Kevin Ogletree bought me a drink a few months back at Strip House

- Rod Gilbert

- Laura Prepon

- Fergie (right before they blew up, I was hanging at a house party in Manhattan and smoked weed and drank with all of them)

- Fat Jew (used to smoke weed / drink with him a bunch, was friends with 'Team Facelift' in the early 2000's before they were famous)

Unbelievably bright & convivial guy, right? *told this before* Met him briefly when he came up to a club in Conn w Nicky Hopkins & Bobby Keys to support Martha Reeves in her first solo venture. Saw him @ a party on Sanibel Island 2-3 yrs later and he remembered my name. "Dayoo (the London pronunciation of my given name) - you were wif Maaaafa, yeah? *laughlaughcoughlaugh*"
Very bright.  To the point, after he leaves a room, people say, ''man, he's really smart, huh?''

Users who are viewing this thread