What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Packers (1 Viewer)

Time to turn the page, maybe.

Starks released.  This last year was most unfortunate, but a good Packer otherwise, not great, but good.  I always felt he was about to show more.  he had flashes.  I appreciate his effort in the Super Bowl run. 

Both expected moves.  Those moves and ridding themselves of the Peppers contract will give them money to work with.  Next year Clay Matthews probably has to rework an extension or he is gone.  AS it sits now they can free up 11.4 million in 2018 with no dead money but letting him go.  The bad news is with Shields gone now they really need CB (not that Shields could be counted on anyway).  I suspect they try to keep their OL around.  They are going to have to do a lot of work to build up the CB and find some edge rush. Nick Perry is going to be a pretty high priority as well I would think.

Both expected moves.  Those moves and ridding themselves of the Peppers contract will give them money to work with.  Next year Clay Matthews probably has to rework an extension or he is gone.  AS it sits now they can free up 11.4 million in 2018 with no dead money but letting him go.  The bad news is with Shields gone now they really need CB (not that Shields could be counted on anyway).  I suspect they try to keep their OL around.  They are going to have to do a lot of work to build up the CB and find some edge rush. Nick Perry is going to be a pretty high priority as well I would think.
Expected to be at least $45 million under that cap at the moment.  We all know Ted's not going to do anything with it though.  I would expect Lang, Hyde, Goode, Cook and Perry to be signed.  Most likely they will extend Dix as well.  After that, it's probably back to hoarding the cash for a rainy day 

"The problem with approaching a player with a pay cut, is if the player says no you better be prepared to cut them" @AndrewBrandt

In employment negotiations (different circumstances, I know), clients often ask me to threaten something to try to force a settlement or agreement. I always ask them first - if the other side calls the bluff, do you then authorize me to carry out the threat - termination, lawsuit, strike, etc.?  If the answer is, "no, we'll just back down or accept their offer" my approach most often is to refuse to make the threat.  As an organization, you have to have some integrity and consistency, or all is lost.  Whoever is Matthews agent probably got that job because he's good. If I were tasked with asking him to renegotiate the player's deal, I'd expect to hear either a hearty laugh or a string of expletives in response.

Is there any data on the Packers not using cap space over the past 10 years? I know they typically carry some forward, but I'd be surprised if they leave cap space unused. I'd be interested, as that doesn't make sense given the Packers are the only non-profit club in the league. Do we think Ted or Russ Ball (or Murphy) get bonused based on financials?  I can't imagine that.
see below

I thought 2015 they had like 6 million under the cap. This has happened a lot under Ted. 

They do this to extend players during the season who will be free agents after that season. Notable 2018 impending FAs:

Morgan Burnett
Davante Adams
Lane Taylor
Richard Rodgers
Corey Linsley

They can use remaining salary cap to front-load some signing bonuses or contracts renegotiated either during the season or prior to the start of the season. I would imagine they want to resign at least 4 of these 5. Richard Rodgers might be given his walking papers depending on what Cook is resigned for this offseason. But you have 4 key starters on that list. Would make sense to save some cap space and extend 1 or 2 of them. Especially those OL. 

I think we did this with Jordy and Cobb on their contracts, but I am not 100% positive on that. 

Pretty sure they resigned Bakhtiari with unused 2016 cap space

Warhogs said:
I agree with all of this.  They need 2 (3???) new corners minimum to bring in and compete, whether that be through the draft or free agency.   They have hot garbage at corner right now and it's cost them two shots at the Super Bowl in the past two seasons. 

Outside of that the biggest need is a pass rusher.  They don't have a great one, they have a couple decent ones if Perry and Matthews hang around.  

Running back will most likely be fine.  I think they bring Lacy back.  I think he becomes their 1b with Monty playing the 1a role.  

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Time to turn the page, maybe.

Starks released.  This last year was most unfortunate, but a good Packer otherwise, not great, but good.  I always felt he was about to show more.  he had flashes.  I appreciate his effort in the Super Bowl run. 
Not a Packers fan but I've always rooted for Starks because he played at the school I went to (University at Buffalo). He may end up back there? Didn't the Packers cut him once already? Hope he returns there but you're likely right.

Users who are viewing this thread