What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Should the Texans do at QB in 2017? (1 Viewer)

What should the Texans do at QB in 2017?

• Status Quo - Let Osweiller and Savage Compete for the Starting job.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Trade for Jimmy Garopollo

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Trade for Tony Romo

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Sign either Jay Cutler, Colin Kaepernick, or Tyrod Taylor if they are cut and become free agents

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Sign a Free Agent QB not listed above

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Draft a QB to compete with Osweiller and Savage to compete for the Starting job.

Votes: 12 20.7%

• Total voters

dhockster

Footballguy
Keep in mind that even with Osweiller's contract the Texans have $25 million of cap space to play with and they do have some higher priced veterans they could cut to create more space (Cushing, Kareem Jackson, Jonathan Joseph). Also, Deandre Hopkins has a cap hit of $7 million already, so they can sign him to an extension and structure it so there is no additional cap hit in 2017.

If they can get romo, Taylor or cutler cheap, go that way. 

Otherwise draft a rookie and hope oz improves. 

No love for Glennon? I am on record as wishing we traded for him last year - that way we could "try before you buy".

I haven't given the salary cap a lot of thought, but if we could sign Glennon to a reasonable deal* without totally limiting us in free agency, I'd prefer that route. But if we're screwed with the cap then, as much as I'd hate to do it, it does make sense to trade for Jimmy because he's really cheap (on his rookie contract) thus it would offset Brock's contract. The problem with this is that he'll be a free agent at the end of the year, so we'd have to make a decision to offer him an extension that doesn't impact the 2017 cap much or, if we're feeling gun shy, see how he does and pay out the nose if he does well.

The other option I like is Romo but would not trade for him. The Cowboys are going to have to release him plus we can't afford his current salary. Our only hope is signing him as a FA to a reasonable contract. If he wants to win, we have to be on his short list.

I'd also be down with Tyrod Taylor, but I'm not sure if he'll be cut or if he'll be cheap enough for us.

*There's talk of him getting $13M-$15M per year, but I'm not so sure about that. If Tyrod, Kaepernick, and Cutler are all available (and Garopollo is actually traded) then I'd have to think that would come pretty close to saturating the market (plus there's been some talk of Chicago rolling with Hoyer next year). I know it sounds crazy to use the term saturated market in such a QB-needy league, but on a relative scale it does appear to be. Had Brock been a FA in 2017 with his resume through 2015 (i.e. before everyone knew for a fact he was awful) there's no way in hell he'd get that contract. Just too much competition. He really hit the market at the perfect time last year. Same with Fitzpatrick. The Jets would've let him walk if they had all these options.

Teams looking for a QB: Buf, NYJ, Hou, Cle, SF, Chi. Available QBs: Tyrod, Romo, Cutler, Kaep, Glennon, Hoyer. If any of those teams decide to go rookie then there will be a decent FA QB looking for a home. The only QB I really, really don't want is Kaepernick.

Draft DeShaun Watson and have him develop behind Savage until he takes over completely.  Also hope Osweiller somehow gets better.  

Getting Romo would seem to be their best option by far IMO. It would make them the top contender to knock off the Pats.

If they can get romo, Taylor or cutler cheap, go that way. 

Otherwise draft a rookie and hope oz improves. 
Taylor or Romo will not be cheap. I can see the Jets, Cleveland and maybe SF being in play for Taylor if he's cut. Romo is already signed for $14MM for next season.

Draft DeShaun Watson and have him develop behind Savage until he takes over completely.  Also hope Osweiller somehow gets better.  
How are they getting Watson? Houston drafts @ 25 and Watson will be top 5. I'm assuming you think they should trade (vs Watson falling) but moving from 25 to the upper echelon is going to take a lot of picks.

How are they getting Watson? Houston drafts @ 25 and Watson will be top 5. I'm assuming you think they should trade (vs Watson falling) but moving from 25 to the upper echelon is going to take a lot of picks.
It's possible Watson falls.  It's actually possible no QB gets taken in the top 5.  Everything I've read leads me to believe many teams were not high on Watson. Not sure why.

I'm not sure if Watson will be a top 5 pick.  Personally, I'd take him as the first QB, but I was under the impression that he wasn't graded that high from team scouts.  I was figuring on him going in the first round, but not in the top 20.  Houston has #25.  If he's available there, they should grab him.  But I wouldn't give up a lot of picks to trade up and get anyone.  If he's available at pick 20, I could see them trading up ahead of NYG to get him.  I think the Giants may grab him at 23, if he's there.  

I do think he should be picked ahead of Trubisky and Kizer.  I could see the Cardinals draft him at 13.  

While trading for Romo's $14 million in salary seems undoable with Osweiller's contract, Keep in mind Romo's contract has two more years on it after next year, and the Texans would not have any deferred cap money because Dallas would eat all of that when they trade him. Therefore, the Texans could renegotiate Romo's contract so that he gets $2 million in base salary in 2017 and he gets a $12 million signing bonus. This would give them a 2017 cap hit for Romo of $6 million, with $8 million deferred. Even if they had to cut Romo and Osweiller in 2018 they would only have $14 million in dead money from both of their contratcts.

I think they should trade for Romo and draft a QB if the one they want is available. Osweiller is not the answer, but they probably have to keep him as he will have an additional $5 million cap hit if they cut him now. I would cut Savage because even though he hasn't been given a full shot yet, he has been injured the few times he has been asked to start. I think he may be too injury prone to keep.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if Watson will be a top 5 pick.  Personally, I'd take him as the first QB, but I was under the impression that he wasn't graded that high from team scouts.  I was figuring on him going in the first round, but not in the top 20.  Houston has #25.  If he's available there, they should grab him.  But I wouldn't give up a lot of picks to trade up and get anyone.  If he's available at pick 20, I could see them trading up ahead of NYG to get him.  I think the Giants may grab him at 23, if he's there.  

I do think he should be picked ahead of Trubisky and Kizer.  I could see the Cardinals draft him at 13.  
Interesting. I haven't seen the draft grades yet but I've seen a fair # of mocks and he was in the top 10 in almost all of them. So, I assumed his grade was high enough to justify a top 10.

My opinion is that Watson doesn't fall to Houston. Even if he did do the Texans really want him as a starter right out of the gate? I don't think so and I think they have enough pieces in place to win right now. So, I would get Romo and sign him to a one year deal AND draft a QB for the future. As mentioned I don't think that would be Watson but someone like Webb from Cal would be a nice QB to watch and learn from Romo for a year.

I think they should trade for Romo and draft a QB if the one they want is available. Osweiller is not the answer, but they probably have to keep him as he will have an additional $5 million cap hit if they cut him now. I would cut Savage because even though he hasn't been given a full shot yet, he has been injured the few times he has been asked to start. I think he may too injury prone to keep.
Just posted the same before seeing yours! Obviously I agree. The window to win in the NFL is small (unless your NE, GB, etc). Houston has a pretty good team now so I'd trade for a vet QB for 1-2 years and also draft a QB to groom for the starting job.

Combine hasn't occurred yet, but at least the "reported" scuttlebutt is that the QB's are not lock's to go in the top 5 at all. At the moment there's a chance one of the top 3 is available late for the Texans to move up a few spots for similar to what Denver did last year for Lynch.

Romo will be cut IMO, no reason to trade for him. Then it comes down to what does he want for a contract. Texans could make it work cap-wise with some cuts/sacrifices, but I think Romo goes for top dollar and the Texans are in the bottom 3rd in the league in cap space. Plenty of teams can outbid them although most of the QB needy ones with tons of space can't make the point that they are playoff caliber already.

Personally I don't think a 37 year old Romo is a good fit for them at all. He couldn't stay healthy behind the best line in football, he definitely won't stay healthy behind the Texans line which needs a new RT and Guard help. Maybe if you could get him on an incentive laden deal and hope that your defense could stick it out during the games Romo inevitably misses. UnfortunateIy, think he's going to want a lot of coin so I don't think there is a QB cure for what ails the Texans available. Cousins will likely stay with Wash or land in SF, Pats are going to want too much for JG who only has 1 year remaining on his rook contract, the other FA's all suck IMO, probably too late of a pick in the draft, basically they are ####ed.

The team is a QB away from being a contender. With Watt back and Clowney coming into his own the defense is going to be top tier. Go get the best QB available and try to win now. I think Romo is that option right now.

The window to win in the NFL is small (unless your NE, GB, etc). 
A common denominator with those teams... a top tier franchise QB.  They haven't had to worry about the QB position for over a decade.   I'm not saying Houston should avoid a QB like Romo if they can get him.  But he would be a band aid, it seems, for that team.  Also not saying there is a franchise QB in this draft, but you won't find one if you don't take a shot and draft one.  Dak looks like he could be one for Dallas.  I think Watson could be that guy for the right team.  

A common denominator with those teams... a top tier franchise QB.  They haven't had to worry about the QB position for over a decade.   I'm not saying Houston should avoid a QB like Romo if they can get him.  But he would be a band aid, it seems, for that team.  Also not saying there is a franchise QB in this draft, but you won't find one if you don't take a shot and draft one.  Dak looks like he could be one for Dallas.  I think Watson could be that guy for the right team.  
Agree on all counts. Romo absolutely is a band aid but a darn good one and gives them an immediate chance to win. If they were missing a lot of pieces I'd say to heck with Romo (or any other vet QB). Hunker down with Osweiler, swallow your medicine and groom a rookie. Because they have a solid team I say get Romo to win now and also draft a QB to find a long term solution.

I agree with Romo to the Texans.  It just seems like the most logical and perfect fit.  The Texans have a good team overall that can win now with a good QB.  Romo could be that guy for a year or two and they could buy some extra time finding their franchise guy.

Buckna said:
Combine hasn't occurred yet, but at least the "reported" scuttlebutt is that the QB's are not lock's to go in the top 5 at all. At the moment there's a chance one of the top 3 is available late for the Texans to move up a few spots for similar to what Denver did last year for Lynch.

Romo will be cut IMO, no reason to trade for him. Then it comes down to what does he want for a contract. Texans could make it work cap-wise with some cuts/sacrifices, but I think Romo goes for top dollar and the Texans are in the bottom 3rd in the league in cap space. Plenty of teams can outbid them although most of the QB needy ones with tons of space can't make the point that they are playoff caliber already.

Personally I don't think a 37 year old Romo is a good fit for them at all. He couldn't stay healthy behind the best line in football, he definitely won't stay healthy behind the Texans line which needs a new RT and Guard help. Maybe if you could get him on an incentive laden deal and hope that your defense could stick it out during the games Romo inevitably misses. UnfortunateIy, think he's going to want a lot of coin so I don't think there is a QB cure for what ails the Texans available. Cousins will likely stay with Wash or land in SF, Pats are going to want too much for JG who only has 1 year remaining on his rook contract, the other FA's all suck IMO, probably too late of a pick in the draft, basically they are ####ed.
If Romo is a FA, I don't think he will go for top dollar, because A) the market for a 37 year old QB with a high health risk is going to be very small and B) He has become a very wealthy man with his last contract and I think his main concern is going to a team where he has a chance to win right now. While he will want to be paid nicely, I am sure he will be okay with an incentive laden contract, and he will structure it however the team wants him to because he will want the team he signs with to have the best team they can around him.

I think Denver would be attractive to Romo, but I don't think Denver will want to delay the development of either Lynch or Semian, whoever they think is their long term answer.

I'm unsure what Step 2 is but Step 1 is coming to grips with the reality that Osweiler is sunk cost and is definitely not the answer. I have no doubt he tries hard, studies up, and practices a lot - but it doesn't matter because he's just not good. He's like a right-handed Tebow.

I think their best option is Romo, followed closely by Tyrod Taylor (assuming the Bills do the dumb thing and release him).

too much money wrapped up in Osweiller .... let him and Savage battle again
Sometimes you just have to cut bait and start over.  What would have happened if Seattle got stubborn and stuck with Flynn instead of Russel just because they had more money wrapped up in him.  You play to win the game remember.

too much money wrapped up in Osweiller .... let him and Savage battle again
Then they will probably be no better than last year. The thing about Osweiller is he took an elite receiver in Hopkins and made him average. Even Fitzpatrick and Hoyer didn't do that. If Romo is on the Texans he makes Hopkins Elite, he probably makes Fedorowicz a pro bowl Tight End, and with the passing game working, Lamar Miller probably becomes a very good RB. I could see their offense going from bottom 25% to probably top ten. That's more than enough to make a run at a championship with the defense they should have next year. And if Romo gets hurt, you are no worse off than if you just let Osweiller and Savage battle it out in the first place.

Osweiler and Savage are not the answer and Houston has cap space. Houston is a QB away from being a top tier team. They would be foolish NOT to make a move for a real QB this offseason.  Not all of this QBs mentioned in this thread are top QBs but that is another discussion. l

The first thing I'd if I ran the Texans is make an exploratory call to the Saints.
Outside the box... I like it!

I also like Tyrod a bit more than Romo.  I get the win now aspect he brings but I want a QB for the longer haul.  I think Tyrod gives you that balance.

How can they get Romo? They'd be committing about half their salary cap to the QB position. The other half to 2 DEs. I guess they could trot out cheerleaders? Or see if Shane Falco and company could play for free? 

What will likely happen is they will bring in a free agent like Glennon, or draft a QB. They won't go in with Savage and Osweiler as their only 2 choices. They will bring somebody in to maybe give them a chance at QB. 

The consensus out there amongst the rookie QBs is that none of them really seem ready to start day 1. Maybe Watson. IMO he's the most likely to bust, but that's my opinion. But who knows, maybe they find a diamond in the rough. 

Glennon is a certain possibility but I think HOU is done playing the game of trying to turn mediocre QBs into super stars. 

How can they get Romo? They'd be committing about half their salary cap to the QB position. The other half to 2 DEs. I guess they could trot out cheerleaders? Or see if Shane Falco and company could play for free? 

The assumption is that he'll be cut by the Cowboys at which point a new contract will be created. Nobody is trading for Romo.

What will likely happen is they will bring in a free agent like Glennon, or draft a QB. They won't go in with Savage and Osweiler as their only 2 choices. They will bring somebody in to maybe give them a chance at QB. 

The consensus out there amongst the rookie QBs is that none of them really seem ready to start day 1. Maybe Watson. IMO he's the most likely to bust, but that's my opinion. But who knows, maybe they find a diamond in the rough. 

Glennon is a certain possibility but I think HOU is done playing the game of trying to turn mediocre QBs into super stars. 
Obviously, you are using Hyperbole. If they trade for Romo and pick up his salary of $14 million and you add that to Osweiller's $19 million cap hit then you have $33 million at the QB position out of $172 million (<20%). And they would have the option of re-doing Romo's contract and deferring some of the cap hit, or, if he is cut and they sign him as a free agent, they could make the contract cap friendly in 2017. Remember, they can cut Osweiller in 2018 with only $6 million in dead money, so their cap hit at QB is only a problem in 2017. The fact is they have $25 million in cap space and the ability to free up about $10 million more with veteran cuts. They could sign Romo if they want to.

I think the thing that will keep the Texans from signing Romo, though, is most likely the injury risk, and not the cap implications. The organization is typically risk averse, and when they have taken a chance on older star players with injury concerns, they typically have not worked out (Tony Boselli, Ahman Green, Ed Reed).

I just feel with Watt entering his 7th year and coming off a back surgery, and Clowney with his injury history, they need to try and take a shot at winning it all right now. If they wait around for a QB to develop, Their defensive window may be closed by then.

Glennon fits more of the typical mode of QB that BOB usually has run his offense. But he may not be cheap if someone else is looking at him as potential stop gap starter and he's a little similar to the two guys already on the roster.

I just don't think Tyrod or Kaepernick fit the type of model QB that BOB is looking for, the closest QB I can recall he worked with that relied on movement in the pocket was Fitzpatrick. Mainly a collection of stone footed drop back passers, not that I think they are going after stone footed passers, but classic drop back types.

Romo is such a risk because he could not stay healthy behind the best OL in the NFL. I'm someone who thinks a lot of injuries are fluky but his two latest injuries are reoccurring and to me that's not so fluky. Also it's fair to wonder that while QB's have aged well when you are 37 and have barely played in two years it's not a given he's still got it. The appeal is obvious as a win now type of guy but lots of risk.

Glennon fits more of the typical mode of QB that BOB usually has run his offense. But he may not be cheap if someone else is looking at him as potential stop gap starter and he's a little similar to the two guys already on the roster.

I just don't think Tyrod or Kaepernick fit the type of model QB that BOB is looking for, the closest QB I can recall he worked with that relied on movement in the pocket was Fitzpatrick. Mainly a collection of stone footed drop back passers, not that I think they are going after stone footed passers, but classic drop back types.

Romo is such a risk because he could not stay healthy behind the best OL in the NFL. I'm someone who thinks a lot of injuries are fluky but his two latest injuries are reoccurring and to me that's not so fluky. Also it's fair to wonder that while QB's have aged well when you are 37 and have barely played in two years it's not a given he's still got it. The appeal is obvious as a win now type of guy but lots of risk.
I saw him lead the Cowboys down the field in his one drive against the Eagles in the last regular season game of the season. He looked just fine. 

I know the injury risk is real, so I understand people shying away from him. That is why if the Texans do acquire him, I think they should draft a QB in the first or second round (provided one that they grade that high is there when they draft). They will basically be in the situation at QB that the Cowboys were in, just a year later. While I don't think they will get the results that the Cowboys got with Dak Prescott, I do think a rookie has a reasonable chance to be better than Osweiller or Savage, if Romo goes down. But Romo, if healthy, makes that offense so much better, because he improves the skill position players around him, and he has some decent talent around him (Hopkins, Fedorowicz, Lamar Miller)

I chose  Sign a Free Agent QB not listed above because that is how they'll acquire Romo IMO (rather than via trade)

The Texans are good enough to sign Romo and win now and draft whichever QB falls to them in the 1st for the future.
I think the Texans are good enough to remain in the hunt for a division title in a less than stellar division with Romo and the search continues for a QB solution beyond that. If the Titans take the next step (as some people have suggested), then Romo may not even help HOU all that much, as I don't really see the Texans as a wild card contender. That's not even questioning his durability at 37 years old (only 4 starts in his last 2 seasons).

The Texans scoring differential has gotten worse with across BOB's time as HC (+65, +26, -49) and they have been stuck on a 9-7 record. In many ways their record has been deceiving. With O'Brien as coach, the Texans have gone 14-4 against divisional foes and 14-19 against all other opponents. Against playoff teams, they went only 5-13.

If Romo is a FA, I don't think he will go for top dollar, because A) the market for a 37 year old QB with a high health risk is going to be very small and B) He has become a very wealthy man with his last contract and I think his main concern is going to a team where he has a chance to win right now. While he will want to be paid nicely, I am sure he will be okay with an incentive laden contract, and he will structure it however the team wants him to because he will want the team he signs with to have the best team they can around him.

I think Denver would be attractive to Romo, but I don't think Denver will want to delay the development of either Lynch or Semian, whoever they think is their long term answer.
Yes, it's hard to say what the market will be for his services. Just stealing numbers from Anarchy99's posts in the JG thread though:

There are 20 quarterbacks scheduled to have a $16 million cap hit next year (they all won't have jobs or get that). Of players on their second deal or later, Brady is the lowest at $14 million. RGIII falls in a category of his own, seeing that he lost his job, got cut, and was trying to salvage his career. Bottom line, there are 23 guys in the $14M+ category. There are 10 playing on rookie contracts.

So it will probably come down to numbers on what he's looking for and how incentive laden a deal he will he agree to?  Those numbers above aren't "Top Dollar" but they are average and they are expensive. In the end, I wouldn't mind seeing them structure something incentive laden if he agrees and take a shot with Romo while drafting someone in the late first (Kizer? Watson?) or trade up from their late 2nd (Mahones?)

Yes, it's hard to say what the market will be for his services. Just stealing numbers from Anarchy99's posts in the JG thread though:

So it will probably come down to numbers on what he's looking for and how incentive laden a deal he will he agree to?  Those numbers above aren't "Top Dollar" but they are average and they are expensive. In the end, I wouldn't mind seeing them structure something incentive laden if he agrees and take a shot with Romo while drafting someone in the late first (Kizer? Watson?) or trade up from their late 2nd (Mahones?)
I agree with your conclusion, to get Romo with an incentive laden contract and draft a QB for the future.

What's interesting is if Romo and Tyrod Taylor are both free agents, The Texans will have a much easier time signing Romo than Taylor. That is because so many teams have a lot of cap space, Taylor will have plenty of poorer teams offering top dollar. The Texans don't have the cap space to bid against them. Romo, however, because of wanting to win now, will limit the market, which will give the Texans a chance to sign him.

Garopollo, If not, punt as soon as they get the ball if they are stuck with OsWilder. With JJ Watt coming back, it's their best chance to score.

Users who are viewing this thread