dhockster

What Should the Texans do at QB in 2017?

What should the Texans do at QB in 2017?   60 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Texans do at QB in 2017?

• Status Quo - Let Osweiller and Savage Compete for the Starting job.
    • Trade for Jimmy Garopollo
    • Trade for Tony Romo
    • Sign either Jay Cutler, Colin Kaepernick, or Tyrod Taylor if they are cut and become free agents
    • Sign a Free Agent QB not listed above
    • Draft a QB to compete with Osweiller and Savage to compete for the Starting job.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

44 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

The Texans are good enough to sign Romo and win now and draft whichever QB falls to them in the 1st for the future.

I think the Texans are good enough to remain in the hunt for a division title in a less than stellar division with Romo and the search continues for a QB solution beyond that. If the Titans take the next step (as some people have suggested), then Romo may not even help HOU all that much, as I don't really see the Texans as a wild card contender. That's not even questioning his durability at 37 years old (only 4 starts in his last 2 seasons).

The Texans scoring differential has gotten worse with across BOB's time as HC (+65, +26, -49) and they have been stuck on a 9-7 record. In many ways their record has been deceiving. With O'Brien as coach, the Texans have gone 14-4 against divisional foes and 14-19 against all other opponents. Against playoff teams, they went only 5-13.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, dhockster said:

If Romo is a FA, I don't think he will go for top dollar, because A) the market for a 37 year old QB with a high health risk is going to be very small and B) He has become a very wealthy man with his last contract and I think his main concern is going to a team where he has a chance to win right now. While he will want to be paid nicely, I am sure he will be okay with an incentive laden contract, and he will structure it however the team wants him to because he will want the team he signs with to have the best team they can around him.

I think Denver would be attractive to Romo, but I don't think Denver will want to delay the development of either Lynch or Semian, whoever they think is their long term answer.

Yes, it's hard to say what the market will be for his services. Just stealing numbers from Anarchy99's posts in the JG thread though:

There are 20 quarterbacks scheduled to have a $16 million cap hit next year (they all won't have jobs or get that). Of players on their second deal or later, Brady is the lowest at $14 million. RGIII falls in a category of his own, seeing that he lost his job, got cut, and was trying to salvage his career. Bottom line, there are 23 guys in the $14M+ category. There are 10 playing on rookie contracts.

So it will probably come down to numbers on what he's looking for and how incentive laden a deal he will he agree to?  Those numbers above aren't "Top Dollar" but they are average and they are expensive. In the end, I wouldn't mind seeing them structure something incentive laden if he agrees and take a shot with Romo while drafting someone in the late first (Kizer? Watson?) or trade up from their late 2nd (Mahones?)

On 2/17/2017 at 1:58 PM, Buckna said:

Yes, it's hard to say what the market will be for his services. Just stealing numbers from Anarchy99's posts in the JG thread though:

So it will probably come down to numbers on what he's looking for and how incentive laden a deal he will he agree to?  Those numbers above aren't "Top Dollar" but they are average and they are expensive. In the end, I wouldn't mind seeing them structure something incentive laden if he agrees and take a shot with Romo while drafting someone in the late first (Kizer? Watson?) or trade up from their late 2nd (Mahones?)

I agree with your conclusion, to get Romo with an incentive laden contract and draft a QB for the future.

What's interesting is if Romo and Tyrod Taylor are both free agents, The Texans will have a much easier time signing Romo than Taylor. That is because so many teams have a lot of cap space, Taylor will have plenty of poorer teams offering top dollar. The Texans don't have the cap space to bid against them. Romo, however, because of wanting to win now, will limit the market, which will give the Texans a chance to sign him.

Garopollo, If not, punt as soon as they get the ball if they are stuck with OsWilder. With JJ Watt coming back, it's their best chance to score.