What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Daddy (1 Viewer)

Nathan R. Jessep

Footballguy
My father suffered a massive stroke last Friday/Saturday. Spent a few days in the hospital basically just breathing (no machines, as per his own wishes for his entire life), and passed peacefully from this life Tuesday night. I wrote some words on my Facebook, but thought I'd share with my FFA family. T&Ps greatly appreciated. 

--------------------------------------------------

What can you say when your real-life hero is gone? What words will do justice to describe the greatest man you've ever personally known?

I am truly blown away by the love and support my family and I have been shown over the last several days. I think it is a tribute to how many lives my dad touched and what a truly great man he was. I'm seeing and hearing so many kind words, that he inspired, from so many others that didn't even know him as well as I did. But you didn't have to know him well to know he was a great man. If I can be even half the man he was, I'll consider it an accomplishment.

I've been flooded with memories since Saturday. I realized that it's a highlight reel of my life that just keeps replaying. And he was in every single one of them.

I'm listening to him proudly tell someone how I made an awesome double play to end the last inning of the season, then made the all star team.

I'm sitting in the deer stand on his lap as dusk falls and shooting my first deer. Cried a little on the way home. He didn't know that though.

I'm watching over his shoulder at the poker table and remembering the day he slides me some money and said I could play and him grinning at me and winking and laughing at the older guys as I drug my first winning pot (and many more after that).

We are spending countless hours at the shooting range. I can still smell the burnt gun powder and hear the shell casings bouncing off the concrete.

I'm hearing his keys hit the kitchen counter as I'm in my room just waiting anxiously for him to get home from work so we can eat supper and I can race and try to beat my brothers to the table.

I'm giving my salutatorian speech and glancing into the crowd and seeing that proud gleam in his eye.

I'm holding the beautiful knife that he and his best friend made for me and thinking to myself, wow this man really can do everything.

We are on the many long road trips to shooting matches over the years, as I graduated from the back seat to the driver's seat.

We are catching fish in the pond.

We are cheering on the Indians (and the Warhawks) and coaching from the stands.

I'm working beside him at that pharmacy counter taking care of his customers all those years.

I can remember friends calling him because they needed medicine on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day. He would cuss a little, because that's just who he was. Then he would help them with whatever they needed. Because that's also who he was.

I am honored to say I got to work with him on his last day of work last Friday. He literally worked until he couldn't work any more. He was without a doubt the hardest working man I've ever had the privilege of knowing. He wouldn't ever brag on himself much but he was so proud to get his 50-year certificate from the board of Pharmacy last year and we couldn't have been more proud of him.

He was more than just my father. He was also my mother for a little while, before my step-mom came along and rescued him. A job that he took on fearlessly, courageously, and without hesitation.

He was more than just my father. He was my shooting instructor, my ball coach, my therapist, my voice of reason, my encyclopedia, my financial advisor, my doctor, my hunting buddy, and so much more. He wasn't perfect, but to me, he was Superman.

I love you, Daddy. I hope I made you as proud as you made me.

So sorry NJ - RIP to your Dad.

Beautiful write-up - it sounds like your Dad was an incredible man and father.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry for your loss, Nathan, and your words of tribute to your father are lovely. 

Terribly sorry for your loss NRJ. Wonderful tribute.  I have a feeling your dad is very proud of you. 

I think I'll stop in and see my dad today. Thanks for the inspiration. So sorry for your loss.

That's a wonderful tribute you wrote and shows how involved and important he was in your life. I'm very lucky myself that I have a great Dad and when I read about others not so lucky it makes me thankful and appreciative for my upbringing. If all men were nurturing, loving fathers this would would be a better place.

God bless your Dad. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Sorry for you loss NRJ. Having an awesome dad is one of the best things a guy can have. Sounds like you guys made the most of your relationship. 

Wow what a post, very touching  

Sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and your family. 

My sympathies for your loss, Colonel. Sounds like his spirit lives on in yours, for which you can both be proud. RIP

Users who are viewing this thread