What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So, how much is line DD on your W-2? (1 Viewer)

matttyl

Footballguy
Insert bra joke here. 

Line DD is a fairly new line item on W-2s.  Really has nothing to do with your "income", and currently has nothing to do with your taxable income.  Just curious as to what some of the figures out there are in FFA land.

Wife's for just her is close to 6k

Mine covering me and our two girls is close to 13k

And yeah, when people start saying that money should be taxed, I am not happy.

Had to look it up (CPA wife covers all this stuff and I am Mr. Mom, so I don't get a W-2!)

Employees may receive a Form W-2 with an amount reported in Box 12 with Code DD. But fear not—this amount is simply the total cost of the employee's health insurance coverage paid by both the employee and the employer, and it is not taxable.

My company pays for my health insurance but I have no box for DD on my W2.
You should.  They are not required to input that information (even though it isn't taxed).

My wife's (who carries our son) has ~8,500 in hers.  Mine (only November and December) is ~900.

You should.  They are not required to input that information (even though it isn't taxed).

My wife's (who carries our son) has ~8,500 in hers.  Mine (only November and December) is ~900.
I have my W2 in my hand right now.  There is no box labelled DD and no new amounts I dont recognize.   :shrug:

So it is total paid or just what employers paid ?
Just the employer portion.  Sorry, messed up there.  It's the total paid for the insurance premium only (both employer and employee).  What it doesn't include is any out of pocket medical costs (copays, deductibles, out of pocket max) or HSA contributions that may have been made from the employee.  

Last edited by a moderator:
And these rates, it really would be cheaper to just pay as you need and have some kind of catastrophic plan.  Of course, no one would ever go to the doctor that way and I'm guessing the catastrophic plans would be really expensive.

Everything about healthcare would be so much better if we didn't smoke and weren't fat.  Boozing is "ok" basically.

Insert bra joke here. 

Line DD is a fairly new line item on W-2s.  Really has nothing to do with your "income", and currently has nothing to do with your taxable income.  Just curious as to what some of the figures out there are in FFA land.
I think it's to compile how much your employer is paying for your healthcare coverage at the IRS. What they do with that is anyone's guess, but it's just information gathering as far as your tax calculation goes. 

And these rates, it really would be cheaper to just pay as you need and have some kind of catastrophic plan.  Of course, no one would ever go to the doctor that way and I'm guessing the catastrophic plans would be really expensive.
You know, we could do that.  Already we have 7 what I assume are family plans (roughly $20k each) with 3 single guys (roughly 8k each).  That's $164k from our employers, and likely somewhere from $50-100k (or more) that we're also paying personally in addition to what our employers are paying.  Could be a quarter of a million in total.  I bet we could group together and buy a catastrophic plan for all of us for around $50k or so (maybe less as we're all generally younger males here) and use the other $200k to pay for "everyday claims".  That, by the way, is exactly what most large employers do.

You know, we could do that.  Already we have 7 what I assume are family plans (roughly $20k each) with 3 single guys (roughly 8k each).  That's $164k from our employers, and likely somewhere from $50-100k (or more) that we're also paying personally in addition to what our employers are paying.  Could be a quarter of a million in total.  I bet we could group together and buy a catastrophic plan for all of us for around $50k or so (maybe less as we're all generally younger males here) and use the other $200k to pay for "everyday claims".  That, by the way, is exactly what most large employers do.
Exactly.  If we didn't smoke and weren't fat our rates would likely be even lower.

Just curious, is dental included in DD?
It's "optional" to the employer.  As are HRA (health reimbursement accounts) - but HSA contributions (by either employer or employee) are not reported.  That could be a HUGE number.

$18,000. 

Family of 3.

I already went from getting a nice refund to having to add additional withholding dollars to avoid owing a ton at tax time.  I f-ing hate taxes.  Looking at my W-2 just makes me sad because it quantifies how much gets withheld, and that's STILL not enough.

$18,000. 

Family of 3.

I already went from getting a nice refund to having to add additional withholding dollars to avoid owing a ton at tax time.  I f-ing hate taxes.  Looking at my W-2 just makes me sad because it quantifies how much gets withheld, and that's STILL not enough.
Yup, me too. :sadbanana:  

Users who are viewing this thread