What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Eclipse 2017 (1 Viewer)

In The Zone

Footballguy
So we have a solar eclipse coming in August of this year. I think the last one to be seen in the USA was sometime in the 70s or 80s. I vaguely remember this. I remember having to look through film negatives to look at it. State politicians are now discussing delaying school until the day after the eclipse for some school districts for liabilty reasons. Midlands schools plan delayed starts because of August eclipse

The path looks like it's going to pass pretty close to my town, maybe my backyard. I live just south of Lexington.

SC Solar Eclipse Path

A few of questions I have are:

1. How do the experts know exactly, down to the second, when this thing is gonna be best viewed at different locations? 

2. How do they know the path of the viewing?

3. What kind of glasses should I use to view this without damaging my eyes?

The path of the eclipse across the nation looks like this.

US Path

Millions are expected to come to South Carolina for this event. I may have to take the day off from work. It is expected to be here during my commute to work. 

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI. If you get those your eyes will bleed. You can't even use a welders mask to view it without damaging your eyes.  You think some Chinese cardboard with dark plastic inserts are going to work???

go online and figure out a safe way to view the eclipse. 

Unless there is a huge PSA campaign warning about the danger of looking into the sun, there will be a lot of dopes out there burning their eyes

I'm right in the path of totality just north of Kansas City. Can't wait - should be cool.
I have some friends that are going on a six hour flight following it.  They would not tell me how much it cost so i will just assume it was pricey.  Very cool event OP, thanks for sharing with the board.   :thumbup:

FYI. If you get those your eyes will bleed. You can't even use a welders mask to view it without damaging your eyes.  You think some Chinese cardboard with dark plastic inserts are going to work???

Let me see if I can find that shoe box from 1979. 

They've been hyping this event for people to travel to St. Louis, Nashville, etc..  I'll be chuckling if they get a cloudy day. 
I'm in St. Louis, but here it's still only going to be a partial. Gotta drive to Columbia (where University of Missouri is) to see it full. I may in fact be working in Columbia that day. I wouldn't be all that upset about it if I had to be there. 

I'm in St. Louis, but here it's still only going to be a partial. Gotta drive to Columbia (where University of Missouri is) to see it full. I may in fact be working in Columbia that day. I wouldn't be all that upset about it if I had to be there. 
Keep your windows up or they may try to toss you a degree. 

You can absolutely use welding glasses (graded 14 or better) to view the sun. And I'm pretty sure I saw the weather channel with a pic of a bunch of kids looking up with those flip board deals. 

This is not true.  As long as your viewing through a device certified for ISO 12312-2 international standard you will be fine.  Look for this designation on any product you buy.  Even with a certified device you should limit direct continuous viewing to only a couple minutes.  If you are in the path of totality, you can actually view directly without protection during the moments of totality.  At this time it will be about as bright as looking at the moon.  

This is not true.  As long as your viewing through a device certified for ISO 12312-2 international standard you will be fine.  Look for this designation on any product you buy.  Even with a certified device you should limit direct continuous viewing to only a couple minutes.  If you are in the path of totality, you can actually view directly without protection during the moments of totality.  At this time it will be about as bright as looking at the moon.  
Thanks @Galileo   Do you know, I have a celestron nextstar 4 telescope , would it be worth viewing through this?  If so do you know which eye piece I should use?

Got a buddy flying to Oregon to see this dang thing. They have a caravan going to Salem. What a  :nerd:

Thanks @Galileo   Do you know, I have a celestron nextstar 4 telescope , would it be worth viewing through this?  If so do you know which eye piece I should use?
Eye piece doesn't matter too much, just dictates what overall magnification you are viewing at.  Try a few different ones if you have a selection available.  What you do need is a solar filter to place over the objective lens.  If you visit the Celestron website they should have varied sizes available...probably around $20.

ETA...yes it is worth looking at through a scope.  Lots of coronal detail you don't see with the eyes...not sure what type of sun spot activity is currently happening, but this details are visible with a scope.  If you get the filter, you can enjoy solar viewing even when there is no eclipse

Eye piece doesn't matter too much, just dictates what overall magnification you are viewing at.  Try a few different ones if you have a selection available.  What you do need is a solar filter to place over the objective lens.  If you visit the Celestron website they should have varied sizes available...probably around $20.
Thanks buddy!!?  I got this telescope on CL and still haven't figured out how to use it ?  

Very good info G.

Although...it would have been helpful if you had just originally included this info in your video above. 

Oh wait...after review...you did:

AND IF YA DON'T HAVE YA SPECIAL GLASSES...DON'T LOOK AT THE ECLIPSE! OR YOUR EYES COULD GET BLIIIIINDDD!
...MY APOLOGIES!

Seriously though, I am getting a 96% eclipse in my area...

...and am totally looking forward to it.

Got a buddy flying to Oregon to see this dang thing. They have a caravan going to Salem. What a  :nerd:
People in Oregon already starting to freak out about this. Supposedly every hotel room near the path of totality is booked up. Because of this, people are planning to camp out in the city parks of Salem. Of course this has residents up in arms.

They think traffic will be a nightmare near the time of eclipse (around 10:20am). People are just going to park their cars in the middle of the interstate to witness the eclipse.

People in Oregon already starting to freak out about this. Supposedly every hotel room near the path of totality is booked up. Because of this, people are planning to camp out in the city parks of Salem. Of course this has residents up in arms.

They think traffic will be a nightmare near the time of eclipse (around 10:20am). People are just going to park their cars in the middle of the interstate to witness the eclipse.
I'm in Charleston which is right in the path as well.  Goes over at 2:45pm hear.  Hopefully the traffic will be back to normal by rush hour.

I work on solar transactions (lending to) and we were subject to a regular loan review.  The head of the team brought this up as a side note.  I am hoping he was stating it as a joke and did not consider it an actual risk.

I'm so excited for this.  We'll be on vacation on Captiva Island Florida...not the ideal viewing spot, but better than my dang office in NJ.  I got some viewing glasses for the family and I'm ready to go.  Can't wait to see my 3-year old lose his #### when the sun disappears. 

Saw on a web site the other day that B&H Photo Video is on the American Astronomical Society's approved list of reputable vendors for solar eclipse viewing glasses.

I ordered this 5-pack of glasses for $12.99 earlier this week.  I certainly don't want to take any chances with my eyes.

And my zip code will be at 92%, which will be good enough for me!

Saw on a web site the other day that B&H Photo Video is on the American Astronomical Society's approved list of reputable vendors for solar eclipse viewing glasses.

I ordered this 5-pack of glasses for $12.99 earlier this week.  I certainly don't want to take any chances with my eyes.

And my zip code will be at 92%, which will be good enough for me!
Too bad you missed JoeSteeler's post on the first page... https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/754135-solar-eclipse-2017/?do=findComment&comment=20294092

leftcoastguy7 said:

I want to see pictures of this. Your state is going to look like it has more homeless folks than usual.  :P

Fat Nick said:
I'm so excited for this.  We'll be on vacation on Captiva Island Florida...not the ideal viewing spot, but better than my dang office in NJ.  I got some viewing glasses for the family and I'm ready to go.  Can't wait to see my 3-year old lose his #### when the sun disappears. 
Tell him just before that if he's been bad, the sun's going to disappear.

Amy Shira Teitel - who has the Vintage Space YouTube channel and twitter feed - will be hosting coverage on Time's FB page that day.

Users who are viewing this thread