What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Year for #1 Movies? (US) (1 Viewer)

Keith R

The Don
I was looking at a few years on Wikipedia and was extremely impressed by the quality of films that hit the #1 spot in 1974.  They are, in chronological order;

The Exorcist

Blazing Saddles

The Great Gatsby

The Sugarland Express

The Conversation

The Lords of Flatbush

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

Herbie Rides Again

Chinatown

Death Wish

The Longest Yard

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Airport 1975

Earthquake

Young Frankenstein

The Godfather Part II

Now, there is some fluff on the list and a few sequels (though one of them is Godfather II), but as a whole it is a very strong list.  The disconnect that I see today between very good films and movies that are commercial successes does not seem to be significant in 1974, or else it was just a convergence of some unusually excellent movies coming out that the public had to take note of.

Or am I overrating the quality of these 1974 #1 films?  Is there a year where the #1 films is stronger than 1974?

To contrast, here are 2016's #1 movies

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Ride Along 2

The Revenant

Kung Fu Panda 3

Deadpool

Zootopia

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

The Boss

The Jungle Book

Captain America: Civil War

The Angry Birds Movie

X-Men - Apocalypse

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

The Conjuring 2

Finding Dory

The Secret Lives of Pets

Star Trek Beyond

Jason Bourne

Suicide Squad

Don't Breathe

Sully

The Magnificent Seven

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

The Girl on the Train

The Accountant

Boo! A Madea Halloween

Doctor Strange

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Moana

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

I was looking at a few years on Wikipedia and was extremely impressed by the quality of films that hit the #1 spot in 1974.  They are, in chronological order;

The Exorcist

Blazing Saddles

The Conversation

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Chinatown

Young Frankenstein

The Godfather Part II

Or am I overrating the quality of these 1974 #1 films?  Is there a year where the #1 films is stronger than 1974?

arguably 2x top 10 films in there with Godfather and Chinatown- that alone would make for a pretty epic year. add the rest of those above, and yeah- pretty great year, especially for comedy. Mel with two winners plus Holy Grail... fantastic year.

76 had some winners too:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Taxi Driver

All the President's Men

The Bad News Bears

The Man Who Fell to Earth

The Omen 

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Marathon Man

Carrie

Rocky

Silver Streak

How the F does Mel put out those 2 movies in the same year? Damn.

I immediately thought of 1994, when Forrest Gump beat out Shawshank AND Pulp Fiction for best picture. 

To contrast, here are 2016's #1 movies

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Ride Along 2

The Revenant

Kung Fu Panda 3

Deadpool

Zootopia

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

The Boss

The Jungle Book

Captain America: Civil War

The Angry Birds Movie

X-Men - Apocalypse

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

The Conjuring 2

Finding Dory

The Secret Lives of Pets

Star Trek Beyond

Jason Bourne

Suicide Squad

Don't Breathe

Sully

The Magnificent Seven

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

The Girl on the Train

The Accountant

Boo! A Madea Halloween

Doctor Strange

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Moana

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Trump's rise makes a lot more sense now.  Good Grief.  

I immediately thought of 1994, when Forrest Gump beat out Shawshank AND Pulp Fiction for best picture. 
equally as egregious (IMO), take a gander at the '76 list a few posts up, and the flicks that 'Rocky' beat out for best picture   :unsure:

ETA:  add 'Network' to the '76 list (not listed earlier)

Last edited by a moderator:

Doesn't look like Shawshank ever hit #1.  Link  It looks "Timecop" was the #1 movie on Shawshank's release date.

IIRC, that was when Gulf&Western corporate was really wrangling to run the day2day (unusual then) @ Paramount and i believe it took Brooks over a yr to get everything he wanted past them in Blazing Saddles, leading to an early '74 release. Almost every Paramount movie from that wonderfully creative time has a story where someone had to fly east to go nto a boardroom and save the picture.

1979 is pretty strong.   Superman, Deer Hunter, China Syndrome, Manhattan, Alien, Apocalypse Now, Star Trek, Kramer v. Kramer. Not really any fluff either (don't anyone dare call The Muppet Movie or 10 fluff).

1979 is pretty strong.   Superman, Deer Hunter, China Syndrome, Manhattan, Alien, Apocalypse Now, Star Trek, Kramer v. Kramer. Not really any fluff either (don't anyone dare call The Muppet Movie or 10 fluff).
One of the weaker-looking #1s on that list, the Frank Langella version of Dracula, freaked me out when I saw it.  Of course, I was 8 at the time.  Revisited it a few years ago and it did not have the same effect.

gotta love some 1968 - it clocks in with the likes of:

The Graduate

Planet of the Apes

The Producers

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Odd Couple

Rosemary's Baby

The Green Berets

Hang 'Em High

Funny Girl

Night of the Living Dead

Bullit

Head

Ice Station Zebra

Oliver

Once Upon A Time in the West

:thumbup:

Apples to oranges, man. 

People don't have to go to the theater to see the award winning stuff now.  If people are paying $50 to see a movie in the theater now, they need to get their money's worth from explosions and stuff. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about the box office successes, but I often name this as my favorite year for movies. 
The Apostle and Boogie Nights are on my personal top 10 of all time.  You have your biggies like Titanic, Good Will Hunting, As Good as it Gets, and then you indie stuff which I personally find to be very endurring like Wag the dog and the Ice Storm.

Even the popcorn movies were original and fun, stuff like Men in Black, Austin Powers, Face Off, Conspiracy Theory, Con Air, or In and Out.  Not the first thing I think of with this year, but in an era of endless superhero sequels, these were fresh fun summer films.

Not evening mentioning Jackie Brown, the Game, 5th element, Happy Togehter, the Sweet Hereafter, incredible deep year.

The Apostle and Boogie Nights are on my personal top 10 of all time.  You have your biggies like Titanic, Good Will Hunting, As Good as it Gets, and then you indie stuff which I personally find to be very endurring like Wag the dog and the Ice Storm.

Even the popcorn movies were original and fun, stuff like Men in Black, Austin Powers, Face Off, Conspiracy Theory, Con Air, or In and Out.  Not the first thing I think of with this year, but in an era of endless superhero sequels, these were fresh fun summer films.

Not evening mentioning Jackie Brown, the Game, 5th element, Happy Togehter, the Sweet Hereafter, incredible deep year.
Hell, you didn't even mention L.A. Confidential.  I also love me some Starship Troopers.  

Seems like every 10 years I connect with a group of movies a lot.  I remember doing my 00s list and a high % coming from 2007.  Hopefully that means I am in for a hell of a year for movies this year. 

And I haven't seen The Apostle.  I need to change that. 

gotta love some 1968 - it clocks in with the likes of:

The Graduate

Planet of the Apes

The Producers

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Odd Couple

Rosemary's Baby

The Green Berets

Hang 'Em High

Funny Girl

Night of the Living Dead

Bullit

Head

Ice Station Zebra

Oliver

Once Upon A Time in the West

:thumbup:
Wow! That is a good one.

#1 favorites from 84: Footloose, Police Academy, The Natural, The Temple of Doom, Ghostbusters, Purple Rain, Red Dawn, The Terminator, Beverly Hills Cop
I would have thought that Amadeus would have hit #1.  Great movies in this list, but Amadeus was definitely the class of 84.

I thought 1990 would show promise, but GoodFellas never hit #1 and Steven Seagal did... twice.  So much for that.

Awesome link, dudes.
He done listed the movies we were talking about. 
Here's your list... I took it upon myself to remove some of the others like Flubber, Liar Liar and Scream 2. some great blockbusters in there, but lacking most of the "best" movies from the year.

Titanic

Cop Land

Men in Black

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

The Fifth Element

Private Parts

Jerry Maguire

The Game

Starship Troopers

Users who are viewing this thread