What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just appointed president of track team booster club. What do I need to know? (1 Viewer)

Clown Car

Footballguy
Three of my kids are running track now and I've been writing grants and trying to bring in money. We have no budget. Our coach pretty much pays for things as needed and his son played in the NFL so I'm pretty sure that's where the money has been coming from. Our school district is on the verge of being shut down but these kids are great. I have loved getting to know them. I want to do a great job for them. Please advise. 

Just remember that track is nobody's primary sport - they're there to stay in shape for their real sport.

Just remember that track is nobody's primary sport - they're there to stay in shape for their real sport.
I see that in the boys who play football. But is that equally true for the girls? Is there more future for scholarships in track or cheerleading?

I see that in the boys who play football. But is that equally true for the girls? Is there more future for scholarships in track or cheerleading?
Definitely not true for girls where I live (MD, outside DC).  Track attracts a lot of the better female athletes.  They and their parents know that they'll have a much better chance than boys of receiving $ from colleges as the schools have to balance out football scholarships.

Is there a local running store you can align with?  A local franchise nearby is very generous to the local HS runners offering a 10% discount at all times and hosts "spike nights" in the spring for track and fall for XC where they further discount the shoes, bring in pizzas and have their pros and Olympians there.  Does the school have pay to play?  If so, recruit like crazy.  With track being a no-cut sport I have seen schools with huge track and XC teams.

As for the question of scholarships for girls vs boys, I have followed track and XC for the last 6 years locally watching both my kids compete and here, the two local HS have had probably 10 to 1 girls to boys sign with and receive college scholarships.  Some of it is due to title IX and fewer opportunities for boys and some of it is tied to how much more competitive boys track is in general.    

First thing - declare war on the local paper.  Anytime they print something you don't like - call it Fake News.  Send out your own track meet results - based on what your supporters want to see.  Don't be bullied into accepting some "so-called" newspaper's version of a meet.  They are just out to destroy you.

Users who are viewing this thread