What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vince Young Preparing for NFL Comeback at age 33 (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693254-vince-young-eyeing-nfl-comeback-after-hiring-agent-leigh-steinberg?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Vince Young Eyeing NFL Comeback After Hiring Agent Leigh Steinberg

Former Tennessee Titans star quarterback Vince Young is trying to make a return to the NFL.

The 33-year-old hired agent Leigh Steinberg, who announced the player's intentions on his Twitter account Wednesday:[...]

Young last stepped on an NFL field in 2011, when he served as a backup QB for the Philadelphia Eagles. He appeared in six games, made three starts and finished with four touchdowns and nine interceptions.

He spent the majority of his professional career with the Titans, who drafted him with the third overall pick in 2006. In five years with Tennessee, he posted a 75.7 quarterback rating but helped his team to a 30-17 record as a starter and was named to two Pro Bowls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laughable. The ONLY bankable talent he had was his freakish athleticism, and at 33, that's gone. Had no actual QB skills. Nothing to see here.

LOL  I'd have more interest in Manziel coming back.  At least he's younger.
On a related note, does anyone know if that 4 team NFL league for veterans is still going to proceed? I'm guessing no since they said it would be in April and I've heard nothing.

Good time of the year for a story like this too, when nothing else is going on while waiting for the combine and draft to start.

Because he's terrible and has no upside.
And that's different from Osweiler and Savage how? 

My point is, Houston is in a pickle. They have committed a large amount of money to Osweiler this year. They cannot move on from him. They cannot afford to bring a FA in (glennon). They could trade for JG but that comes at a hefty price (probably multiple picks considering where HOU is drafting). So their choices, when they have a Super Bowl caliber defense/top WR/pro bowl quality RB are to either let Oswieler and Savage battle it out, find someone who might be serviceable for cheap next season to keep success hopes alive, or hope to strike it big in the draft on a QB who can start this year when most scouts agree that none of the QBs in this class are ready to start day 1. Again, why not bring in a QB who, yes is past his prime but might offer something, anything better than Savage and Osweiler. Their alternative options I guess could be McCown, Hoyer? He would be terribly cheap. You can cut him if he doesn't make it past training camp. 

Personally I think they make the most sense for JG. Just take your lumps with giving up the draft picks and hope that he's as good as many think he is. Could lead you to the top of the AFC immediately. 

Remembering him when he was a backup for GB... he wasn't awful. He wasn't very good, but he seemed like he had potential to manage a game effectively. At the time his skill set did not match the GB offense however. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He declared bankruptcy a few years ago, likely trying one last grasp at straws to stave off his creditors.

IIRC his last contract was signed with the Browns in the offseason and lasted like 10 days before they cut him. If that doesn't scream "done," I'm not sure what does.

IIRC his last contract was signed with the Browns in the offseason and lasted like 10 days before they cut him. If that doesn't scream "done," I'm not sure what does.
I forgot about that. Good point

I think if he wants to come back he's looking at a similar type of situation. See if you can make it on our team in the offseason.

IMO doesn't hurt to kick the tires. Even if it is on an old broken down Ford

Craig_MiamiFL said:
One would have to really work their ### off to be dumber than this moron.

"I hate to name-drop, but [Ryan] Fitzpatrick is still playing!? He leads the league in interceptions, and he's still f------ getting paid? I mean, what the f--- is going on?"

Does this loser really think his game translates to wins in the NFL? Career: Vinc Yung INT% - 3.9%, Fitz INT% - 3.4%. Fitz is smart, you are dumb and that's life.

What I never get about these guys - Young, Manziel, Kaepernick - is why they just don't go to Canada, prove their worth in the CFL - just like Flutie did - and come back better than ever.
Because that requires actual work and effort, whereas mouthing off to eager media is fun and easy, and gets them just as much attention.

What I never get about these guys - Young, Manziel, Kaepernick - is why they just don't go to Canada, prove their worth in the CFL - just like Flutie did - and come back better than ever.
And who has gone that route in since Flutie, who returned to the NFL in 1998? Jeff Garcia is the only other example I can think of (and he joined the 49ers in 1999). The CFL in recent years has been a wasteland for QBs to transition to the NFL, so I can understand why they would be reluctant to take a stint there. And QB numbers seem to be dismissed by NFL scouts with the one less down and a wider field.

That said, one person I think it might have helped is Tim Tebow, who desperately needed the experience to work on his mechanics, which is probably best achieved by playing in real game situations (particularly since he was horrible in practice).

That's probably it for most recent QBs. Cameron Wake and Brandon Browner would be some recent positional players.

Users who are viewing this thread