What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anything to do in Buffalo, NY? (change of plans) (1 Viewer)

Brady Marino

Footballguy
Have a chance to catch up with an old friend this weekend and he's swinging through northern Indiana on his way to Rochester, NY. I'm tagging along because it'll be good to see him, I've never been to upstate NY, and I'm off next week, so Rochester seems as good a place as any to get away for a bit.

Plan on being there at least one full day, maybe two. Arriving late Sunday.

So, anything I should see/check out while I'm there? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a stripper in Rochester who I met in some yahoo chatroom sometime in the early oughts. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a stripper in Rochester who I met in some yahoo chatroom sometime in the early oughts. :shrug:
Let me guess, she chewed tobacco, drove a pickup and you lost count when you tried to add her total tattoos and scars? 

Garbage plate is awful.  The High Falls area didn't suck 10 years ago, not sure about now.

It's really not that great of a place to visit, though it was fine living there.

So, kind of sounds like Rochester is basically "Garbage plates and hey, you're not that far from Niagara Falls" for me.

Eh, there's worse places to wind up in. West Memphis comes to mind there.

Part of it depends on what you like.  There's a cool spot at High Falls called Triphammer Forge that is very small, but a neat look at the old water-powered forging machines driven by a water wheel.  The Erie canal is pretty interesting - you can see the spot down town (Broad Street?) where there used to be a canal/river overpass.  The canal now crosses the river south of town.

If you like beer, The Old Toad is a pretty neat little old school British pub with a solid beer list.  Roc Brewing is about a 2-minute walk from there.  I like their beer and I usually try it when I see it on tap in Buffalo, but I've never been to the brewery itself so can't comment on it.  I've heard good things about the Genny Brew House, but haven't been there either; it was renovated in the past few years.  Rohrbach has their brewpub a bit out of the way, but it's fine.  Food is nothing to write home about but the beer is alright.

Bug Jar and Water Street are cool music venues, but it looks like neither has much going on next week.

The Amerks (AHL hockey) have a home game listed against Utica, but I think that game is actually being played in Buffalo, so no luck there.

I think Alexander Street is a bar/restaurant area, but I don't know a ton about it.

Is that the place that has German food?  If so, they had a great sausage/cheese/bread/mustard platter 20 years ago that was great.
Yeah they advertise German food, I can't say I've ever had it though.  I was more there for the beer, I've only been there once for an afternoon.

Lived here all my life.  People have mentioned some items, I'll give you my thoughts.

It really depends on what you are into.

Amerks (AHL Hockey) have a home game Sunday night at 5pm.  Not sure if you'll arrive in time for that

A Garbage Plate is a must.  You can go original at Nick's, but I prefer Stevie T's (Was a Nick's at one time, but the son had a falling out with his dad and had to change the name)  Where are you staying? (City/Suburbs, which town?)  There are plenty of local places that have pretty good plates.

If you had kids with you I'd highly recommend The Strong National Museum of Play  It's even pretty cool if you don't.  There are interactive displays and different areas for kids to explore etc, besides a museum section which is pretty cool with tons of old toys etc.  They have an excellent Video Game section with a whole history of video games and about 30-40 classic arcade games, old consoles etc.

George Eastman House Museum is pretty cool, but might not mean that much to you not being from Rochester.

Stone Yard Brewing Co is pretty good if you're into that, but it's in Brockport, about 30 minutes from downtown.

Finger Lakes are great for boating/fishing, but wrong time of year for that.

glad to see garbage plate has been mentioned, was coming in to post that.

pro tip: don't visit Tahous during the daylight hours, and don't eat a plate sober.

RIT hockey is really good, but a game this Saturday and then not until next Saturday.

High School Section V hockey is in playoff mode as well, but games Saturday and then again not til Wednesday.

Koya said:

Righetti said:
Let me guess, she chewed tobacco, drove a pickup and you lost count when you tried to add her total tattoos and scars? 
He never said she. Stop assuming things. 

Righetti said:
I got her before the physical damage set in (she was 19 or 20? Not old enough to buy liquor)... thigh the emotional damage ran deep.

As did I.  

RIT hockey is really good, but a game this Saturday and then not until next Saturday.

High School Section V hockey is in playoff mode as well, but games Saturday and then again not til Wednesday.
It always bothered me that Aquinas was a private school playing in a public playoff

I've been to Niagara Falls twice now. You might as well swing by while your in the area if for nothing else to be able to say you have. If you are like me you will look at it for about 5 minutes and think ok that's all there is to this and be ready to leave. It will cost about 10 bucks to park. 

Other 2 restaurants I hit when I was in Rochester other than Dinosaur were Jine: good one for lunch. It is close to Eastman house as well.  And Lento which was good too. Went there because I wanted some oysters...

I've been to Niagara Falls twice now. You might as well swing by while your in the area if for nothing else to be able to say you have. If you are like me you will look at it for about 5 minutes and think ok that's all there is to this and be ready to leave. It will cost about 10 bucks to park. 
Niagara Falls is certainly worth a visit, but I'm not sure I'd say it's really "in the <Rochester> area".  By car from downtown Rochester, you're looking at 90 minutes drive each way, I'd guess.

If he's coming in from the west he could stop off on the way without going too far out of the way. Check out downtown Buffalo also. 

Users who are viewing this thread