What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How to Get a Young RB? (1 Viewer)

Brisco54

Footballguy
12 team .5 PPR QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/K/DEF

My roster:

QB - Palmer & Dalton

RB - McCoy, Ingram, CJ Anderson, Paul Perkins, Terrance West, Tim Hightower

WR - Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Dez Bryant, DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Tyreek Hill, Breshad Perriman, Marvin Jones, DeSean Jackson, Brian Quick

TE - Gronk & Kelce

K - Tucker

DEF - Dallas

I am defending champ and I think I got a good shot at getting back to the title game.  I think I need to use some of my WR/TE depth to acquire a young RB.  (Yeah, I get that my QBs suck, but my philosophy has always been that QBs are overrated if you only start one.  I refuse to pay market price to upgrade the QB position.)

Editorial Note:  For some reason I have always had success in evaluating and acquiring WR talent... not so much with RBs.  My RB draft history includes such luminaries as Jahvid Best, Mikel LeShoure, Beanie Wells, Daniel Thomas and David Wilson.

I think I could trade Amari Cooper straight up for my choice of Ajayi, Howard or Gurley.  I think I have the WR depth to give up Cooper, but I hate overpaying unless I am getting a blue chip top ten player in return, and Cooper for one of those three seems like an overpay.)  

Alternatively, I will probably end up with a pick between 1.7-1.12 (the six playoff teams all have equal status when randomly determining the 1st round order the following year) with a very slim chance it could be higher that 1.7.  For discussions sake, let's assume its 1.8.

Who would you give up in order to move from 1.8 to the top two picks? I fell like trading any of my top five WRs or one of my TEs plus 1.8 would be an overpay, and any of my bottom five WRs would be way too little.  

This is a deep draft, so 1.8 is worth more than normal.   Cooper, Nuke and Watkins are worth pick 1.1 all by themselves.  Dez and Keenan might be worth a few picks less, but not equal to 1.8 in a deep draft, are they?  Would you trade Dez Bryant plus 1.8 for 1.2? ... or would you trade Cooper for Gurley (that owner only wants Cooper, no other WR)

Thanks in advance, Brisco

I don't think there is any need for you to overpay to move up.  There is not a Zeke every year.  I think you are fine at RB but I also think RB is not necessarily something you need to have an elite player at to win.   RB's seem to pop up every year out of nowhere that are good enough to be starters for a championship team.  Don't overpay.             

I agree with Gally. You are in a position to win now so do it. McCoy and Ingram are a solid set of starters. Just draft best player available and you should always have depth if you end up with a need.

Nuk or Watkins along with the 1.8 should get you in the top 2 picks pretty easily. If they don't accept that they're pretty crazy. I'm also saying this before we know where these players will land so you could call me a little crazy. I also agree that your rb depth, while not as impressive as your WR depth, isn't too much of a concern. This is a deep class. Just make sure to be patient and don't undersell one of your WR talents.

At 1.08 you'll be able to get a young rb in a deep rb class. Foreman, kamara, mixon, or mccaffery should be available. I would maybe try using hill+1st to maybe get a derrick Henry, yiubcan afford to wait a year on him. Still early though, rb landscape can/will change tremendously after free agency/draft. Lots of player movement this year, lots of rb jobs open. Oak, NYj, Indy, philly, Carolina, wash, gb, tb, and maybe a few more will all be looking for rb upgrades. 

You can probably get a decent RB at the 1.08, but generally, statistically (don't have a link but my observations) the first tier in any rookie draft has about 50% success rate and the probabilities drop off significantly at 1.08 (which normally 3rd tier, but not always).

Anyway, if you want to play it safe, trade Dez Bryant plus 1.8 for 1.2. 

Just my :2cents:

This team does have the WR depth to cash in Dez Bryant, Keenan Allen or Tyreek Hill to move up and get a RB so it is a solid option.  It probably depends on your thoughts on each guy. Is Dez ready for a fall from elite status?  Do the injuries catch up with Keenan Allen? Is Hill a one hit wonder?  If you feel that way about any one of them I could see moving one of them plus your 1.08 for either a top 2 pick, or a younger RB like Todd Gurley or Davonta Freeman or Melvin Gordon.  RB is not a need yet but is an option if you are ready to cash out on one of those WR.

Thanks for the great advice folks!!

The irony is that after week 6 last season, with Watkins, Keenan Allen and DJAX injured, reality having set in on Marvin Jones, and I hadn't added Tyreek Hill yet, I felt I needed WR help with only Cooper and Nuke to start.  I traded Hyde & Prosise for Bryant.  I had McCoy, Ingram, CJA and West performing well and I had lost faith in Hyde, and I worried about a full backfield in Seattle.

I do not regret it.. Bryant ended up being a pivotal part of my championship... but I gave up most of my RB potential to fill that WR need.

Ok... on that QB issue I said to avoid... given my roster, what would you be willing to trade for Brees, Stafford or Rivers?

I have been trying for a long time to get one of those QB for round 2 value with no luck.  Their owners have just wanted more.  My guess is it would take one of : 1.08, Paul Perkins, Tyreek Hill, Breshad Perriman. I actually think Perrimen alone doesn't get it done. I see those as the most likely key pieces for getting one of them though.  This is based on my experience in trying to land one of them.

One caution: On paper your team appears deep but Gronk, Watkins, Dez and Keenan all have health concerns.  Depth can disappear in a hurry.

You have a young RB in Perkins.  We'll see what/if the NYG do in the draft.  Also, CJ Anderson could have a bounce back year.

I don't think you NEED to have a top 2 pick but there is appeal to the shiny new toy.

Why don't you ask the teams sitting at 1.1 and 1.2 what it would take to swap first rounders?  I have no issues overpaying to get what I want - possibly give the 1.08 and a RB and a WR.  It should take a lot to land the new toy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread