What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Good Place (1 Viewer)

kupcho1

Footballguy
Is there really not already a thread for this show?   Ted Danson, Kristen Bell

through 8 episodes and I think it is great. 

Wow

What a fantastic achievement.  Great show. Not sure how they continue it but I hope they do. 

Season 1 is now on Netflix if anyone is looking for some new Netflix fodder. Season 2 starts in September.

For those that have already watched Season 1:

I started rewatching this week on a whim because I was curious how it would play after the big reveal of the final episode of Season 1, and it's great. The writers were remarkably consistent with the gag.  Michael never appears as a well-intentioned guide without one of the four characters there, and some of the things they do to make the four character's existence more difficult make more sense and are funnier with the knowledge of what's going on.  Also Chidi's indecisiveness is more glaring and annoying- first time through he just seemed like a nice guy stuck in a bad spot.  And while you always knew Tahani was annoyingly pretentious, the character works better when you know it's a fatal flaw rather than just being confused as to how her charitable work outweighed it. If you're bored and looking for something to watch during the summer lull it's a fun re-watch

The jokes on the advertisements seemed so obvious and corny.  Was that just a poor sample they chose for the ads?

Season 1 is now on Netflix if anyone is looking for some new Netflix fodder. Season 2 starts in September.

For those that have already watched Season 1:

I started rewatching this week on a whim because I was curious how it would play after the big reveal of the final episode of Season 1, and it's great. The writers were remarkably consistent with the gag.  Michael never appears as a well-intentioned guide without one of the four characters there, and some of the things they do to make the four character's existence more difficult make more sense and are funnier with the knowledge of what's going on.  Also Chidi's indecisiveness is more glaring and annoying- first time through he just seemed like a nice guy stuck in a bad spot.  And while you always knew Tahani was annoyingly pretentious, the character works better when you know it's a fatal flaw rather than just being confused as to how her charitable work outweighed it. If you're bored and looking for something to watch during the summer lull it's a fun re-watch
I've watched S1 3 times now

The look on Michael's face when Eleanor stands up and confesses was amazing.  Danson deserves an Emmy for his performance.  The way the look changed from confusion to anger to blank slate was fantastic.  You pick up so much on a rewatch; a whole lot of foreshadowing.

The jokes on the advertisements seemed so obvious and corny.  Was that just a poor sample they chose for the ads?
I don't remember the ads, but the show is not a joke machine in the mold of 30 Rock or something. It is very funny, just not in the usual way. It's also more serialized than any half-hour comedy I can remember, which makes it pretty ambitious and interesting. Also there's a lot of funny material that would only make sense once you get the basics of the afterlife "universe" in which the show takes place, that stuff probably wouldn't be easy to put into a commercial.

For those of you still sleeping on this show, and for the record: WAKE THE HELL UP, you've got about a week to binge watch season 1 to be ready for the start of season 2 next week.

Seriously, only about a dozen episodes and it is a fantastic show.

Great show. Was sort of like a sit-com version of Pushing Daisies as far as style/look. And always down for some Kristen Bell.  

For those of you still sleeping on this show, and for the record: WAKE THE HELL UP, you've got about a week to binge watch season 1 to be ready for the start of season 2 next week.

Seriously, only about a dozen episodes and it is a fantastic show.
I lost track of this one on initial airing, but when I heard about the direction it took I was intrigued and revisited.  Great fun and looking forward to new episodes.  

Of the main cast, only Danson and Bell knew where the show was going from the beginning.  Here's a video of Michael Schur telling the rest of the main cast about the season finale.

i will never forgive her for breaking jason seagulls heart and he got the good end of things when he ended up with jackie from the 70s show anyhow so you know what up yours kristin bell take that to the bank bromigos 

I guess I should give this show another shot.  My wife and I watched the first couple of episodes when they first aired and thought it was pretty horrible.  Did we give up on it too quickly?  Any chance that it eventually grows on you, or did all of you like it right away?

*gasp* Oh no! I used almond milk in my coffee even though I knew about the negative environmental impact.

:lmao:

Wife and I watched the first season on Netflix and the 1st episode on demand thanks to this thread. Always was a Kristen Bell fan from the Veronica Mars days but the commercials last year did not do this show justice.

Thought the first season was hilarious and solid opener for the second season. Hoping they can maintain the high level of quality now that we are "in" on the secret. (Thinking about rewatching season 1 again when I have some free time.) I'm glad they are keeping it a shorter run of 13 episodes, I don't think this show could work for a full 22 episode season.

"I gotta go workout!"

He's my second favorite to Janet, she cracks me the fork up. Her "failsafe" to keep people from turning her off and then the message when they did turn her off was LOL. Pairing her with Jianyu was comedy gold.
I didn't catch on that the actress also portrayed "Bad Janet" until after several scenes with her.  I mean that as a compliment to her work, dropping so deep into character I didn't recognize her.  

I didn't catch on that the actress also portrayed "Bad Janet" until after several scenes with her.  I mean that as a compliment to her work, dropping so deep into character I didn't recognize her.  
Same here, I had no idea the first few times, I think they even colored her hair different or made her wear a wig or something.

"I have ruled the fart inadmissible as evidence." :lmao:

I guess I should give this show another shot.  My wife and I watched the first couple of episodes when they first aired and thought it was pretty horrible.  Did we give up on it too quickly?  Any chance that it eventually grows on you, or did all of you like it right away?
Initially I abandoned it after the first three episodes.  Went back and revisited after hearing about how Season 1 finished.  Fair to say "it eventually grows on you" describes me, but I watched it through a slightly different filter.

This show is fantastic. The season 2 premiere was hilarious.
Took me a bit to realize what they were doing, but the reveal that it was a total goat rodeo behind the scenes with the "demons" complaining about their roles had me :lmao:  .

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I like that they cleaned up that quickly with attempt number two in just one episode but I still find it funny

Initially I abandoned it after the first three episodes.  Went back and revisited after hearing about how Season 1 finished.  Fair to say "it eventually grows on you" describes me, but I watched it through a slightly different filter.
Thanks. Next time I'm searching for something to watch, I'll try it out again. 

First few words on a sidebar search page made me laugh:

"When a tractor-trailer carrying erectile dysfunction products strikes and kills Eleanor Shellstrop"

I'm dying here.  Will need to rewatch to catch the shop,signs

Hotdog on a stick on a stick

... and is Michale in the bad place.  Meta

Loved it. 

"Jason figured those one out? Oh, that hurts. That really hurts. A new low."

"Attempt #109: I've closed the door this time..." 

"Sometimes you walk in on me when I'm masturbating. Sometimes I walk in on you when I'm masturbating." 

Some of the store signs had me cracking up. Beignet and the Jets. Biscotti Pippen   :lmao:

Excellent stuff. 
Knish from a Rose

Must rewatch

"Michael No! I'm pregnant and your the father!!" Constantly killing Janet over and over again had me :lmao:

And the signs too, my favorite was the one with Hot Dog on a Stick and Steak on a Stick :D Although Eleanor constantly coming up with different horrible ways of describing the Clam Chowder fountain was great too.

Edit: Also loved the callback to earlier episode when that one Demon's demands for the strike is that he is allowed to bite the humans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread