What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best time zone? (1 Viewer)

Best

• Total voters

Max Power

Footballguy
Gents... looking for some retirement information.  I've lived in EST, CST and PST and can see the pros and cons of each.  For whatever reason MST remains the most appealing to me.  obviously I base this around NFL games, but want to get a broad view for the whole spectrum.  Go ahead...Inform me.

Mountain for most sports. NFL games at 11 and 2. Night games are almost always over before 10pm. Prime time is very rarely delayed by football.

If you're a sports fan Central is the best.  Games start at 6 and end by midnight. 

NFL games start at noon and end at 6.  MNF on at 7:30, done by 11. 

Pacific is the worst as a sports fan, at least if you originate from the east.  Games start at 4?  No.  Sunday football starts at 10 am?  Gross. 

Central>Mountain>Eastern>Pacific>Hawaii>Afghanistan

If you're a sports fan Central is the best.  Games start at 6 and end by midnight. 

Pacific is the worst as a sports fan, at least if you originate from the east.  Games start at 4?  No.  Sunday football starts at 10 am?  Gross. 
I'll begrudgingly concede these as facts. 

Sports are probably best in central time zone. I'd be slightly happier if everything started an hour earlier, excluding hockey, 7pm is perfect.

Central>Mountain>Eastern>Pacific>Hawaii>Afghanistan
I love football starting at 10am on Sundays. It's like waking up for Christmas every Sunday.  Bloody Mary's, breakfast.  Then you have our afternoon games, SNF or MNF over at 9pm vs. midnight.  West Coast rules

& this topic will obviously skew heavier away from eastern right now, being 1:20 in the morning here, not many east coast posters on the board right now.

I love football starting at 10am on Sundays. It's like waking up for Christmas every Sunday.  Bloody Mary's, breakfast.  Then you have our afternoon games, SNF or MNF over at 9pm vs. midnight.  West Coast rules
NFW, 10am :X

I like to enjoy my Sunday morning, brunch with the fam, some outdoors time, then some football. 12 prob slightly better than 1, but both overwhelmingly better than 10am.

Its terrible during the week. You miss 80% of the games.

Hawaii by far. You watch games at 6 and 9 am. Make a kick ### breakfast, a couple of bloody mary's, and you're done by noon. Head to the beach for the rest of the day. 

I grew up and currently live in EST, but have lived years at a time in both central and mountain.  

Central time zone is the answer here.  

Pacific.  You get to start drinking at 10 am because that's when NFL games start.

Central is the worst.  They're called flyover states for a reason.

I live in PST, but travel to the east coast a couple of times per month.  Much prefer PST - especially on Monday and Thursday nights during football season...

Pacific. Love the morning NFL times. Football all day if you want or can watch early games and still get #### done, or skip early game and get #### done in time for 1 pm games. All baseball done by 10pm. NBA, who watches that garbage until semifinals?

East Coast seems the worst by far.

Actually you probably wont like pacific.  Your kid will probably get a lot more "from ### with love" cards.

Pacific is great for MNF and TNF games IMO.  Get off work at 5, get to the bar by 5:30 for kickoff, game is over by 9 so plenty of time to get home and get to bed

Well yeah :lol:

Wouldn't everything else be pretty much the same.
This doesn't apply to the guy who posted the poll, since he is retired, but market hours are something that are vastly different depending on where you live. 

I have a job that requires me to work market hours. I live on the West Coast. Therefore I get up really friggin' early. Hate that. Central Time is the best for people that work market hours, unless they are freaks that like getting up super-early.

I've only known Central my entire life,  and I think Mountain time sounds glorious for sports and TV.

Eastern time sounds beyond miserable... i just would give up on most sports.

As I've gotten older and staying up late is more and more miserable, I'm starting to think West Coast or Hawaii time is where it's at.

This doesn't apply to the guy who posted the poll, since he is retired, but market hours are something that are vastly different depending on where you live. 

I have a job that requires me to work market hours. I live on the West Coast. Therefore I get up really friggin' early. Hate that. Central Time is the best for people that work market hours, unless they are freaks that like getting up super-early.
That would suck. 

Travelling from the west coast kinda sucks too. Flying anywhere from Seattle is 2 hours minimum. 

Yeah, this is what I was thinking.

The US is based off of EST (stock market, prime time tv, Washington dc, biggest cities on East coast, etc).

That would suck. 

Travelling from the west coast kinda sucks too. Flying anywhere from Seattle is 2 hours minimum. 
That is more a Seattle thing and less a whole West Coast thing. Being far to the north and far to the West makes a lot of places a long flight. LA and SF are better for going to Hawaii, Mexico and anywhere in the Southern US.

Living in Houston was great for flying pretty much anywhere. I also lived in Chicago and it was better for some places from a location standpoint but...O'Hare.

NFL season is very doable in the eastern, aside from the late Monday night game on the opening weekend, think it starts at like 10:30 EST, but could be wrong.   Speaking for  myself, I love being able to go to church, then go out for lunch, and still get back at least an hour before the 1pm kickoff and have time to research my endless list of questionable players each week.  Staying up until 11:30 for the Sunday/Monday night games to finish isn't a problem for me.  

As for basketball and baseball, I couldn't imagine being in the pacific and having many of those games starting at 4pm each day.  That is too early.   However, on the east coast, it sucks having the late games starting at 10 or 10:30.  Those games I can usually only watch the first half or maybe the first 3 innings.  Definitely hate that, so somewhere in the middle would be preferred, either Mountain or Central.

Obviously, being retired, you would have your own preference and probably wouldn't be concerned with missing the games that start earlier, say 4 or 5 pm, but sounds like you aren't trying to stay up too late.  Sounds to me like you have to consider either Pacific or Mountain.  I think Central would be my own personal choice for myself, giving me another hour to watch the late basketball and baseball games and still giving me time before NFL games.  

Pacific.  You get to start drinking at 10 am because that's when NFL games start.

Central is the worst.  They're called flyover states for a reason.
I can't think of many weekends in the EST I am not at least a few beers into my day by 10am....especially on Saturdays when I don't have any other obligations during that day.

I forgot to even mention college football.  9 am start in the west coast = gross.  I think you have to go either mountain or central, probably central if you don't mind missing part of the late basketball/baseball/hockey games.  

Living in the EST, I absolutely HATE west coast games. When the Indians make their west coast trips, I'm usually left with being stuck watching only Sunday afternoons and any mid-week getaway day games.

I forgot to even mention college football.  9 am start in the west coast = gross.  I think you have to go either mountain or central, probably central if you don't mind missing part of the late basketball/baseball/hockey games.  
Yeah, but there aren't too many really important games that start at 9 AM. And if you don't have a personal attachment to a team playing home games in the Eastern time zone, you can miss the dreck games that start at 9 AM.

I think a better way to look at it is that you have college football games on TV from 9 AM until 11 PM or midnight. That is a good thing.

Rank order I'd go CST>MST>>PST>>>>EST.  I like CST slightly better than MST because of 12/3 vs 11/2 kickoffs.  Makes it easier to get home from late service and not miss any of the first half action.  Living in MST would be better than living in CST though...they have mountains.

Living in Arizona we never change time for daylight savings so half the year we are in pst and half in mst.  My job requires me to be at work very early for market hours so in that sense I prefer when we are in mst.  However, for sports I prefer pst and love nfl Sundays with games starting at 10 a.m. and endings around 9 p.m.

Users who are viewing this thread