What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Orlando for a freakin' week - help needed (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Going to go on record saying Orlando is not my favorite place from what I have experienced.  Maybe it was the Disney trip the first week of May with the kids when it was 98 at noon and 97 at midnight. Maybe it's the umpteen exhausting conventions I've been to in this town.  Headed there for a week tomorrow for another monstrosity of a convention.  Help me find a redeeming quality in this city, please. No, I'm not going to visit the mouse or any other theme park.  Taking a redeye Friday night.  Arrive 6am.  Staying at the Rose Center.  Playing golf at Shingle Creek Saturday.  Rest of the week will be 35-40K people and exhibit hall madness.  Have some dinners etc but if there is anything cool to do around the Convention Center area that would make me change my mind about Orlando please offer it up.  Cool restaurants, clubs, hang outs, etc.  FBGs - whatchagot? Please tell me something other than Rachel's..

Maybe rent a car and drive east an hour to take a tour of Kennedy Space Center on Cape Canaveral? :shrug:

Going to go on record saying Orlando is not my favorite place from what I have experienced.  Maybe it was the Disney trip the first week of May with the kids when it was 98 at noon and 97 at midnight. Maybe it's the umpteen exhausting conventions I've been to in this town.  Headed there for a week tomorrow for another monstrosity of a convention.  Help me find a redeeming quality in this city, please. No, I'm not going to visit the mouse or any other theme park.  Taking a redeye Friday night.  Arrive 6am.  Staying at the Rose Center.  Playing golf at Shingle Creek Saturday.  Rest of the week will be 35-40K people and exhibit hall madness.  Have some dinners etc but if there is anything cool to do around the Convention Center area that would make me change my mind about Orlando please offer it up.  Cool restaurants, clubs, hang outs, etc.  FBGs - whatchagot? Please tell me something other than Rachel's..
Convention center area is tourist central. There's not going to be any local flavor there, it's going to be largely chain restaurants and places that cater to visitors. If you want to see the real city, you'd have to drive/Uber to downtown area. Your best bets down there are probably Charley's Steak House (good steaks) or Miller's Ale House (sports bar - decent food, very affordable.) Other than that, pick your favorite chains or go up to the handful of British/Irish pubs on the north end of I-Drive and hang out with UK vacationers. 

Spent 2+ weeks a year for over a decade In the idrive area:

Charley's for great steak (fabulous filet)

Orena for dive bar

Millers Ale House for sports bar

Tilted Kilt for beer with a view 

Agreed with the Chin that you'll wanna uber downtown one or two nights. 

Shark move is to stay in one of the time share places, not a hotel. A condo unit at Vista Cay (very close) or Marriott Grand Vista (south of sea world) can be had for the same price or less than most hotels around OCCC... and offer nice resort style pools, bars, and a nice large condo that's more comfortable over long stays. I'm at a 3BR spot poolside at Vista Cay in March... cheaper than 2 rooms at the damn comfort inn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just go to the beach you jackass. 

You're in Florida for ####s sake.
Orlando is about as far from the beach as you can get while still being in florida. Working conventions there does not leave time for a jaunt to the beach, sadly. 

You have to assume the Judge is busy during the day. Not too many people heading to the beach at night. 
Busy during the day?  Who's going to notice if one of the thousands of sales guys there is MIA spending some quality time at the beach?  Stop trying to make this so complicated people.

Will be there the week of the 27th for a tradeshow. Been a few times but my schedule is usually so slammed all I want to do is make sure I have meals covered.

Not gonna lie, it's gonna be brutal.

Orange County National has a 42 acre circular driving range. The whole practice facility is great.

#alligot

I got nothin. See you next week. Hosting happy hour at urban tide on Monday if you want to commiserate over a scotch. 

Find a way to make it to the Trump rally, all 3 of you, and heckle the Donald.  Record on video for posterity.  Please, for the love of all that is good and holy.

I'm at OCCC right now.  Still sucks.  But Orlando in general is touristy and homogenized.  If you can get away I'm 1 hour east in New Smyrna Beach.  Much better over here.  I think there's a chili cook off at the Brewery this week.

Headed to Orlando in 2 weeks for spring break with the family.  Going to Universal Studios.  Kids much preferred that to Disneyworld a few years back.

Honorable Judge Smails. I too will be in Orlando, quite possibly manning a booth at the very same conference. No idea what my schedule is going to look like, outside of craziness with last minute meetings. Shoot me a message if you are interested in catching up at all during the show.

I got nothin. See you next week. Hosting happy hour at urban tide on Monday if you want to commiserate over a scotch. 
Can always count on JB. Look forward to seeing you. We're sponsoring the House of Blues gig Monday night. Might need a good happy hour pre-game!

Man, just got out of my ark (WTF is going on out here in CA) on the way to LAX and read this thread. Some great recommendations and comments from my FBGs. Much appreciated. Daulton was on fire but needs a geography lesson. We can work on that. Maybe Em or MoP are tutoring these days. 

No time or energy for road trips unfortunately.  This is one of those marathon, total grind conferences.  Can pick good food/drink/party places though so appreciate the recommendations  

Anybody FBG at the HIMSS conference or is a local send me a PM. A cornhole may be in the cards. I'd at least buy a round or 2 to kick it off. Monday is bad at night but Tues or Wed might work. How bout a Fresca?

Lot of us around this strip mall hell this weekend.... and to top it off the 60's year olds in our group insisted on..... I #### you not.... Applebee's tonight.

aparently we have reservations for http://fogodechao.com/location/orlando tomorrow.  I'll give a review on that.

Went straight from redeye/hotel check in to hash house a go go. Nice start. Ate 1/2 of that chicken Benedict monstrosity and walked back to my hotel. Needed those 2 miles. 

Been to Orlando probably 20 times for work, my daughters volleyball events and Disney.  If I ever go back it will be too soon. There is not much to like about the city and area.

Was there last July for a convention..it was 95 and steamy at 7am.  Tried to golf around noon but two guys bailed after 9 holes saying they could not take the humidity and heat combo.

Judge Smails said:
Went straight from redeye/hotel check in to hash house a go go. Nice start. Ate 1/2 of that chicken Benedict monstrosity and walked back to my hotel. Needed those 2 miles. 
:thumbup:

Glad you took my suggestion. The Chicken Benedict looks incredible.

Funny thing is Florida has a bunch of really good craft brewers but I can't think of one in Orlando. 

I live in East Orange County. Best recommendation I have? Go to Cocoa Beach, pull up a stool at the Sandbar Sports Grill. Eat Fish Tacos and drink beer till you can't see. Uber back to Orlando.

I live in East Orange County. Best recommendation I have? Go to Cocoa Beach, pull up a stool at the Sandbar Sports Grill. Eat Fish Tacos and drink beer till you can't see. Uber back to Orlando.
Best advice yet.

Partied with guys from Canada last night. Instead of the hotel madness they used Airbnb to get a freakin' mini mansion for 8K for a week in Kissimmee.  As some have mentioned this is the way to go. 20 seat projection theatre room, 2 game rooms etc. Cost them less than aggregate hotel rooms 

Best advice yet.

Partied with guys from Canada last night. Instead of the hotel madness they used Airbnb to get a freakin' mini mansion for 8K for a week in Kissimmee.  As some have mentioned this is the way to go. 20 seat projection theatre room, 2 game rooms etc. Cost them less than aggregate hotel rooms 
Told ya :)  

Ran into jb at the booth today. Solid peeps. 

Cabs are just rip offs. $28 to House of Blues. $48 back. What? I hope they all go about of business

Users who are viewing this thread