What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Now the 2018 Assistant Coach Thread (2 Viewers)

The Ref

Footballguy
Advice from you baseball sharks is always appreciated.  5x5 Rotisserie obp instead of avg.  12 teams both leagues.  Keep7 but two must be pitchers.

Lester and Cueto for pitchers.  Obvious Hitters Betts and Correa.  Need to pick three of the following.

King Felix

Joseph Votto

Rougned Odor

Daniel Murphy

Jose Bautista

Carlos Gonzalez

Evan Longoria

Will answer yours

Last edited by a moderator:
Votto, couldn't be easier

Murphy, I really like him too

3rd one is tougher. How many OF do you start? I think CarGo is the choice either way, but might debate Longoria if you start 3.

Yeah, move Votto and Murphy to the for sure pile.

Do you have an MI spot?
This is where I'm at.  Yes I have a Mi.

im going betts correa votto Murphy baring an injury.  It's really odor vs cargo at this point.

having Correa Murphy and odor in the middle pre draft is a big leg up and thus how I'm leaning.

I agree on keeping Odor - not just position scarcity but the age consideration as well. 

Need your help

Keep 5 majors - forever 5 x 5 Roto, avg, not OBP

already keeping Trout, machado, Bryant and Story ( I put him on IR and therefore need to keep him)

last spot - Ian Desmond or Dee Gordon... 

Desmond could go for close to 30 in Coors, but I already have plenty of power and RBI thus far versus the need for speed - I lean Gordon but wonder if I can find cheap speed later on....thoughts?

TIA

Angry Beavers said:
I agree on keeping Odor - not just position scarcity but the age consideration as well. 
OF is now a more scarce position than MI thanks to a league-wide increase in OF platoons. Only 52 OF's qualified for the batting title last year. If you play in a 12 team league, that's 60 starting OFs.

14 teams, keep 20

Kershaw and MadBum owner is shopping both.  He has interest in my Moncada, Dahl, and Fulmer.  

Whats a fair offer for both sides?  I don't think I'd do all 3 for Bumgarner. Maybe for Kershaw. 

Thanks

bigmarc27 said:
14 teams, keep 20

Kershaw and MadBum owner is shopping both.  He has interest in my Moncada, Dahl, and Fulmer.  

Whats a fair offer for both sides?  I don't think I'd do all 3 for Bumgarner. Maybe for Kershaw. 

Thanks
I would probably consider Moncada/Fulmer for Bumgarner from either side. Moncada alone is too much to pay and Dahl/Fulmer isn't enough. I think Moncada/Dahl is too much for you to part with. You could certainly start by just offering Moncada, or offering Moncada/Dahl for Kershaw.

I would probably consider Moncada/Fulmer for Bumgarner from either side. Moncada alone is too much to pay and Dahl/Fulmer isn't enough. I think Moncada/Dahl is too much for you to part with. You could certainly start by just offering Moncada, or offering Moncada/Dahl for Kershaw.
I was thinking along the same lines as you...  I actually got a deal done.

got Kershaw, traded Moncada, Fulmer, and Francis Martes.  I'm pretty happy with it. 

-

He traded Bumgarner almost at the same time and actually got a better deal than I gave - he got Bregman and Benintendi for Bumgarner. 

Hey bigfart27,

You need to :thumbup: the posts that actually help you here.  TIA.  You ask a lot of questions and never give any love, so....

Hey bigfart27,

You need to :thumbup: the posts that actually help you here.  TIA.  You ask a lot of questions and never give any love, so....
There's two questions in here. I answered one. The other is mine in which I said thanks.  Feel free to ignore, quite sure I don't want your input.  I don't think I'm Mixon words here, no need punch out early from your day job to follow me around.

Not sure why your ### is so sore all the time. TIA! HTH! 

I'm picking out of the 8 spot in my 12 team redraft. I'm bored, so been looking at some mocks and ####. Pitchers go early, so I tend to hold off until round 4 or 5 unless some super ace falls. Would you rather your first 5 rounds go like

A

Machado, Correa, Springer, JD, Carrasco

B

Harper, Turner, Freeman, Story, DeGrom

C

Rizzo, Correa, Giancarlo, Price, Beltre

:shrug:

Hey bigfart27,

that was a pretty elaborate general strategy and player value question franco answered.  i was thinking a blowie may be more appropriate

the moops said:
I'm picking out of the 8 spot in my 12 team redraft. I'm bored, so been looking at some mocks and ####. Pitchers go early, so I tend to hold off until round 4 or 5 unless some super ace falls. Would you rather your first 5 rounds go like

A

Machado, Correa, Springer, JD, Carrasco

B

Harper, Turner, Freeman, Story, DeGrom

C

Rizzo, Correa, Giancarlo, Price, Beltre

:shrug:
I think I like B the best followed by A then C. I doubt I have Stanton or Beltre on a team at that price. 

Need your help

Keep 5 majors - forever 5 x 5 Roto, avg, not OBP

already keeping Trout, machado, Bryant and Story ( I put him on IR and therefore need to keep him)

last spot - Ian Desmond or Dee Gordon... 

Desmond could go for close to 30 in Coors, but I already have plenty of power and RBI thus far versus the need for speed - I lean Gordon but wonder if I can find cheap speed later on....thoughts?

TIA
I think this one is a lot closer than others may think (caveat, unless you believe Gordon's great 2015 was fully PED fueled, and not a potential breakout)

Gordon is 28, Desmond is 31

Gordon plays 2B, and is 2 years removed from a .333 season with 58 steals - and will hit atop the lineup probably all year long.  Granted he's only a 3 category guy, but if he hits > .310 again and steals 50+ again those are pretty big categories.

Desmond is 2 years removed from a .233 season with 19 homers and 13 sb's.  .233 is a killer, and the 19 homers and 13 sb's are okay for a SS or MI guy....Desmond is not going to be MI eligible.  In fact, his role and place in the lineup at this writing is still very much in the air.  Rox have 4 OF's (Blackmon, Gonzalez, Dahl and Parra) so he's more than likely going to be a 1B (well, until Gonzalez eventually gets hurt).  And if the Rockies had any conviction in Desmond being a viable 1B, they may not invited Mark Reynolds to camp.  

Now, of course I did cherry pick the stats a bit here, but if you ask me to pick between an OF/1B player that I've got penciled in for a .250, 22 home run, 75 rbi season vs a 2B who I  have at .310 with 50 steals, and I already have Bryant Machado and Trout on my team, I may be quite tempted to fill in my IF with Gordon and then grab some out of favor OF'ers who should be quite plentiful.

The key to a sucessful roto campaign is to build stats, not necessarily build a team.  I know that sounds counterintuitive and did not come out right, but the fact is steals are not nearly as plentiful as Homers/RBI's, and if you can get a guy at 2B that fills that role, you don't need to worry about rostering the likes of JArrod Dyson, Rajah Davis, Travis Jankowski et al and have them eat a valuable roster spot hoping they get 4-5 starts per week and steal a few bases.

:2cents:

I think this one is a lot closer than others may think (caveat, unless you believe Gordon's great 2015 was fully PED fueled, and not a potential breakout)

Gordon is 28, Desmond is 31

Gordon plays 2B, and is 2 years removed from a .333 season with 58 steals - and will hit atop the lineup probably all year long.  Granted he's only a 3 category guy, but if he hits > .310 again and steals 50+ again those are pretty big categories.

Desmond is 2 years removed from a .233 season with 19 homers and 13 sb's.  .233 is a killer, and the 19 homers and 13 sb's are okay for a SS or MI guy....Desmond is not going to be MI eligible.  In fact, his role and place in the lineup at this writing is still very much in the air.  Rox have 4 OF's (Blackmon, Gonzalez, Dahl and Parra) so he's more than likely going to be a 1B (well, until Gonzalez eventually gets hurt).  And if the Rockies had any conviction in Desmond being a viable 1B, they may not invited Mark Reynolds to camp.  

Now, of course I did cherry pick the stats a bit here, but if you ask me to pick between an OF/1B player that I've got penciled in for a .250, 22 home run, 75 rbi season vs a 2B who I  have at .310 with 50 steals, and I already have Bryant Machado and Trout on my team, I may be quite tempted to fill in my IF with Gordon and then grab some out of favor OF'ers who should be quite plentiful.

The key to a sucessful roto campaign is to build stats, not necessarily build a team.  I know that sounds counterintuitive and did not come out right, but the fact is steals are not nearly as plentiful as Homers/RBI's, and if you can get a guy at 2B that fills that role, you don't need to worry about rostering the likes of JArrod Dyson, Rajah Davis, Travis Jankowski et al and have them eat a valuable roster spot hoping they get 4-5 starts per week and steal a few bases.

:2cents:
Thanks for the 2 cents. I currently have Gordon protected for the reasons you have here. Gordon may steal only 30 more bags than Desmond if everything breaks right for Desmond and not for Gordon but I given the power bats i already have, I think filling in at 2B with a speedster allows me to not reach later and accumulate statsand Gordon could practically win or put me at the top of SB's all by himself. I am glad to see someone thinking the way I am ( although we could both be wrong... LOL)

Thanks again

If Desmond weren't playing 81 games per year in Coors I think this would be a very interesting argument.

He is though.

Gordon has the value because no one steals bases anymore, and getting 40+ and maybe mid 50s is pretty valuable.  Desmond's ADP is higher because like Mac said, he's playing in Coors half the time.  @Angry Beavers looking at your keepers you have some big bats but not a lot of steals.  Machado said he's gonna run more but you might get ten out of him.  Trout stole 30 last year but only stole 27 combined the previous two, and PECOTA thinks he'll get around 20 this year.  I like Desmond, he could be a good source of RBI in particualr batting later in that line-up.  Gordon though with the guys you already have, seems to make sense.  Guru is correct IMO.  glllllllllll

I'm in a 14 team  man keeper league.  This is my first year taking over this team or in a baseball keeper league.  Its a H2H points league.  My keepers are:

C- W. Castillo

1B- Abreau

2B-C. Hernandez

SS- Correa

3B- Gyorko (2B, 3B & SS)

OF- Trout, Kemp, Tomas, Herrera, Danny Santana (Start 3)

SP- Smyly, Skaggs, Richards, Bauer, Hellickson and Blake Snell

I had Carlos Martinez and traded him for the 3rd overall pick and Blake Snell.  I know hold picks 2 and 3 overall in this draft.  From what I can see my pitching needs major upgrades.

My question(s) right now would be, who should I be targeting at 2 and 3?

I'm 99.9% sure the first pick of the draft will be Cody Bellinger. 

According to Fantistics the best available hitters (minus OF) that could help me would be:

Schimpf

Ryon Healy

Jose Ramirez

Of that group Healy seems to stand out as someone that could really help but I don't know if I can wait on him since I have Gyorko or if I need him, well, because I have Gyorko who is just a one-trick pony.

My pitching would seem to need a lot of attention though.  And there seems to be a ton of young arms out there like:

Rodon

Cotton

De Leon

Chad Green

Aaron Nola

Eduardo Rodriguez

Foltynewicz

Yadier Alvarez

Cotton

Jeff Hoffman

Or vets like:

Shoemaker

Gray

Matt Moore

Archie Bradley

Taijuan Walker

Should I be picking/looking at 2 from these groups?  Part of me wants to lean with Alvarez and Rodon but I'm not really sure.  What would you guys suggest?  Should I look for a prospect bat like Tyler O'Niel or just go with a Healy etc?

Thanks!

Bigboy10182000 said:
I'm in a 14 team  man keeper league.  This is my first year taking over this team or in a baseball keeper league.  Its a H2H points league.  My keepers are:

C- W. Castillo

1B- Abreau

2B-C. Hernandez

SS- Correa

3B- Gyorko (2B, 3B & SS)

I had Carlos Martinez and traded him for the 3rd overall pick and Blake Snell.  I know hold picks 2 and 3 overall in this draft.  From what I can see my pitching needs major upgrades.

According to Fantistics the best available hitters (minus OF) that could help me would be:

Schimpf

Ryon Healy

Jose Ramirez

Of that group Healy seems to stand out as someone that could really help but I don't know if I can wait on him since I have Gyorko or if I need him, well, because I have Gyorko who is just a one-trick pony.

My pitching would seem to need a lot of attention though.  And there seems to be a ton of young arms out there like:

Rodon

Cotton

De Leon

Chad Green

Aaron Nola

Eduardo Rodriguez

Foltynewicz

Yadier Alvarez

Cotton

Jeff Hoffman

Or vets like:

Shoemaker

Gray

Matt Moore

Archie Bradley

Taijuan Walker

Should I be picking/looking at 2 from these groups?  Part of me wants to lean with Alvarez and Rodon but I'm not really sure.  What would you guys suggest?  Should I look for a prospect bat like Tyler O'Niel or just go with a Healy etc?

Thanks!
Jose Ramirez and Jon Gray would be my picks.

How much should I be weighing the future? This Yadier Alvarez reads like he'll end up as possible the #1 prospect in baseball next year and may even get time this season. 

How much should I be weighing the future? This Yadier Alvarez reads like he'll end up as possible the #1 prospect in baseball next year and may even get time this season. 
As far as that goes...

Can you keep forever with no penalty?  If so, and you've got the roster space I think it's worth holding a top guy or two if they're close.  If they're way off like Kevin Maitan, I'd probably hold off unless rosters are huge. 

Also is the team in a spot to be competitive?  If you're two years away, I'd prob be more apt to hold 2-3 top-end prospects (pending roster size) than if I'm a competitor and need those spots to win. 

As far as that goes...

Can you keep forever with no penalty?  If so, and you've got the roster space I think it's worth holding a top guy or two if they're close.  If they're way off like Kevin Maitan, I'd probably hold off unless rosters are huge. 

Also is the team in a spot to be competitive?  If you're two years away, I'd prob be more apt to hold 2-3 top-end prospects (pending roster size) than if I'm a competitor and need those spots to win. 
Good questions.

Yes, we can keep forever with not penalty.  We have 16 keepers and total rosters are 29.

As far as being competitive, this is where I'm not really sure.  With Abreau, Correa and my OF my bats are definitely solid.  The pitching is what appears to be lacking. With that said I think I'm a couple years away.

I was originally leaning toward a Rodon and Healy combo but wasn't sure if I should just go pitching at 2 and 3 overall and ride with Gyorko at 3rd base.  The more digging I did the more upside I saw with some of the pitchers. At the same time I didn't want to miss on guys like Rodon or Nola since they have a year under their belt and could contribute right away. I have until the 25th but wanted to see what more experienced players thought.  The Alvarez kid is really growing on me though lol.

Good questions.

Yes, we can keep forever with not penalty.  We have 16 keepers and total rosters are 29.

As far as being competitive, this is where I'm not really sure.  With Abreau, Correa and my OF my bats are definitely solid.  The pitching is what appears to be lacking. With that said I think I'm a couple years away.

I was originally leaning toward a Rodon and Healy combo but wasn't sure if I should just go pitching at 2 and 3 overall and ride with Gyorko at 3rd base.  The more digging I did the more upside I saw with some of the pitchers. At the same time I didn't want to miss on guys like Rodon or Nola since they have a year under their belt and could contribute right away. I have until the 25th but wanted to see what more experienced players thought.  The Alvarez kid is really growing on me though lol.
Is it a weekly or daily transactions league?

In H2H points especially, streaming pitchers is a very effective strategy.  Even in a 14 team league, there should be guys available to pick up each week.

Is it a weekly or daily transactions league?

In H2H points especially, streaming pitchers is a very effective strategy.  Even in a 14 team league, there should be guys available to pick up each week.
Its weekly.  We submit our line-ups Monday morning for the week as well so everyone is locked in

I just took over a team in a friends head to head points league, haven't done anything but roto in years. Any advice on sites for custom rankings?

Bigboy10182000 said:

C- W. Castillo

1B- Abreau

2B-C. Hernandez

SS- Correa

3B- Gyorko (2B, 3B & SS)

Schimpf

Ryon Healy

Jose Ramirez

Rodon

Cotton

De Leon

Chad Green

Aaron Nola

Eduardo Rodriguez

Foltynewicz

Yadier Alvarez

Cotton

Jeff Hoffman

Or vets like:

Shoemaker

Gray

Matt Moore

Archie Bradley

Taijuan Walker

Thanks!
You're overrating Healy. He only hit 16 HRs in 600 ABs in the Cal League. I know he was great last year but he didn't really walk at all and I worry he'll get exploited. Now, that said, Ramirez is much better for roto than points, unless you penalize for Ks, and then maybe his low Ks, steals, XBH schtick will work for you. 

If these are the best players available it seems likely you got fleeced in that deal. C-Mart for Snell and Nola doesn't seem that great in a keep forever league. 

I would definitely take Rodon if he's there. I really don't love Gyorko at 3B (are you not using MI and CI?) but I'm not sure Ramirez or Healy is a big enough upgrade. So I think I'd lean towards Nola. If he's not there, I think I'd maybe go Taijaun Walker or Cotton for the 2nd pick. I know you love Alvarez, but TINSTAAPP. 

You're overrating Healy. He only hit 16 HRs in 600 ABs in the Cal League. I know he was great last year but he didn't really walk at all and I worry he'll get exploited. Now, that said, Ramirez is much better for roto than points, unless you penalize for Ks, and then maybe his low Ks, steals, XBH schtick will work for you. 

If these are the best players available it seems likely you got fleeced in that deal. C-Mart for Snell and Nola doesn't seem that great in a keep forever league. 

I would definitely take Rodon if he's there. I really don't love Gyorko at 3B (are you not using MI and CI?) but I'm not sure Ramirez or Healy is a big enough upgrade. So I think I'd lean towards Nola. If he's not there, I think I'd maybe go Taijaun Walker or Cotton for the 2nd pick. I know you love Alvarez, but TINSTAAPP. 
Healy and Rameriz are only in the discussion because I'm pretty much OK everywhere else and could use a 3rd baseman.

We don't have any K penalties as well. 

Regarding Martinez, I kind of feel like I sold high.  He got kind of lucky last season and I think his overall #'s take a step back.  Still just 24 he could be good but I don't usually prefer GB pitchers. I'm good with a Snell and Rodon for Martinez trade.

There's no MI or CI, he would just be my 3rd baseman this season unless one of the others I mentioned (Healy or Ramirez) falls to the 2nd which is possible.  I have the overall bats to sustain him I believe.

The more I looked at Walker the less I liked him.  Moving to a hitters park while losing velocity really worries me.

And please tell me what TINSTAAPP means lol

Too shallow of a league for a Alvarez, he's probably three years out.  With pitching in a format like this I'd be getting guys that are breakout candidates for this year, or guys that will likely get innings this year with high upsides. 

Too shallow of a league for a Alvarez, he's probably three years out.  With pitching in a format like this I'd be getting guys that are breakout candidates for this year, or guys that will likely get innings this year with high upsides. 
This is what I was looking for with him. He seemed far away to me having only pitched low-a ball but the Fantisitics ETA said 2017. Wasn't sure if they would bring him up like they did with Urias last season. I saw a few places that had him as their best overall prospect too. 

This is what I was looking for with him. He seemed far away to me having only pitched low-a ball but the Fantisitics ETA said 2017. Wasn't sure if they would bring him up like they did with Urias last season. I saw a few places that had him as their best overall prospect too. 
He's 18 and I saw him pitch live last year, and I think he threw fastballs every pitch. He's got a live arm, fun to watch a kid throw 96 against other kids. His control was pretty iffy but the arm is elite. 

He's 18 and I saw him pitch live last year, and I think he threw fastballs every pitch. He's got a live arm, fun to watch a kid throw 96 against other kids. His control was pretty iffy but the arm is elite. 
He'll be 21 on Tuesday, March 7th. 

He only threw 59 innings last season though. I can't see him getting the call unless he smashes high-a ball this season. Maybe I can grab him in the 2nd or 3rd round but he's one I definitely want 

If you can use a Carlos Martinez type to get a priority pick and an arm like Snell then I would not bother with someone like Alvarez.

Snell now is what Alvarez will likely be a few years from now. Let someone else hold him for a coupletree years then after he hits a rough patch, as all young arms do, trade for him if you still want him. 

If you can use a Carlos Martinez type to get a priority pick and an arm like Snell then I would not bother with someone like Alvarez.

Snell now is what Alvarez will likely be a few years from now. Let someone else hold him for a coupletree years then after he hits a rough patch, as all young arms do, trade for him if you still want him. 
Good point. 

Who do you like from the list of arms I mentioned above? 

Good point. 

Who do you like from the list of arms I mentioned above? 
I haven't looked at most of them yet. I think Nola is legit, but I think there is more he is already injured risk than most. If you're going the prospect route I'd go De Leon before Alvarez. The only other one I've really noted so far is Eduardo and that was just to add a reminder to not draft him - knee. I need to finish my bats cheat sheet and move onto arms.

For the other I'd roll with Ramirez. That way you're not relying on Gyroko. If Jedd does more of what he did last year then you can replace Cesar, who doesn't suck but doesn't really help much either.

Do you start a U? If so I'd consider a Ramirez/Healy back to back. 

Users who are viewing this thread