Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
The Ref

Now the 2018 Assistant Coach Thread

Recommended Posts

Offered Stanton, Greinke, and Solarte for my Bregman and Senzel.

It's a keeper league letting you keep five guys, with kept players eligible to be kept for up to five years at their auction draft price with just a $2 bump each year.  So, I can keep Bregman for $7 and Senzel for $3 next year (I've still got a few more years of Bregman and Senzel hasn't been a keeper yet).  I don't really see any of the guys that I'd be getting as keepers because their value would be too high (and in Solarte's case, because he's Solarte).  

I'm currently in 4th place.  Batter-wise, I'd be replacing Bregman at 3B and Smoak/Meadows at UT with Solarte and Stanton.  Greinke may give me an excuse to dump L.Weaver or C.Anderson.

It does not seem like a bad offer for going all-in.  Giving up Bregman is tough though.  He appears to be turning into a stud that I can build around given his keeper price.  I feel like I've got a solid young core that can keep my team closer to the top for the next few years (also have Torres and Robles pretty cheap), and it would be giving up a chunk of that.

ETA: Weekly H2H league. So, not trying to boost any one category in particular.

Edited by Don Quixote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Senzel is hitting 333/436 with 5 SB since coming off the DL May 29.  The power took some time, but he has 4 XBH and went yard in the last week.  He's coming up soon and even if his bat takes some time is a good bet to be better than Solarte instantly because of his wheels.  It depends on format, but Bregman has actually been better than Stanton this year.  Giancarlo can undo all of that in a couple of weeks, but it continuing isn't a crazy thought. While it's safe to assume Greinke would upgrade your rotation when it counts, is it worth giving up more than a half dozen years of Bregman and Senzel in their prime? 

I wouldn't do it.

 

*Disclaimer: I generally don't consider all-in deals in H2H unless blown away in the first place though.  The best team often doesn't win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Senzel is hitting 333/436 with 5 SB since coming off the DL May 29.  The power took some time, but he has 4 XBH and went yard in the last week.  He's coming up soon and even if his bat takes some time is a good bet to be better than Solarte instantly because of his wheels.

Hijacking slightly but where is Senzel going to play? Cincinnati has top 10 players/possible all stars at both the 2B and 3B positions. Yes that sounds ridiculous based on their names (Gennett, Suarez) but from the start of the 2016 season both are pretty great hitters. 

With Peraza young himself at SS, I'm not sure Senzel is coming up soon at all and if he is, does he get enough PAs to matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Hijacking slightly but where is Senzel going to play? Cincinnati has top 10 players/possible all stars at both the 2B and 3B positions. Yes that sounds ridiculous based on their names (Gennett, Suarez) but from the start of the 2016 season both are pretty great hitters. 

With Peraza young himself at SS, I'm not sure Senzel is coming up soon at all and if he is, does he get enough PAs to matter?

Scooter is a UFA after 19, so he's probably their best trade candidate.  Will there be a buyer?  :shrug: If not there are a lot of plan B's that ultimately end with him in the OF and Senzel at 2nd.  

Have they written off Senzel at SS?  If no then Peraza won't necessarily keep him down.  I just noticed Senzel hasn't been getting any run at short this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Scooter is a UFA after 19, so he's probably their best trade candidate.  Will there be a buyer?  :shrug: If not there are a lot of plan B's that ultimately end with him in the OF and Senzel at 2nd.  

Have they written off Senzel at SS?  If no then Peraza won't necessarily keep him down.  I just noticed Senzel hasn't been getting any run at short this year.

I think he started there for the first time this week. I agree the Reds should trade Gennett, I just don't have much belief they actually will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gennett leads the NL in batting average and is 4th in RBI. He's 3 back of 2nd in HR (6th back of the lead because Bryce Harper exists), but if not, TRIPLE CROWN CANDIDATE, SCOOTER GENNETT!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2018 at 10:55 AM, MAC_32 said:

Senzel is hitting 333/436 with 5 SB since coming off the DL May 29.  The power took some time, but he has 4 XBH and went yard in the last week.  He's coming up soon and even if his bat takes some time is a good bet to be better than Solarte instantly because of his wheels.  It depends on format, but Bregman has actually been better than Stanton this year.  Giancarlo can undo all of that in a couple of weeks, but it continuing isn't a crazy thought. While it's safe to assume Greinke would upgrade your rotation when it counts, is it worth giving up more than a half dozen years of Bregman and Senzel in their prime? 

I wouldn't do it.

 

*Disclaimer: I generally don't consider all-in deals in H2H unless blown away in the first place though.  The best team often doesn't win.

Thanks.  I had been leaning against, and this confirmed it for me.  Decided to reject.

I agree H2H can be luck a lot of times.  I feel like having good keepers to give more bites at the apple is the best strategy in this league.  Also helps to be able to spend money in auction elsewhere (I was able to outbid everyone for Trout this year -- no regrets on that).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 4:06 PM, fred_1_15301 said:

 

Thanks.  I’m going for it - hopefully he doesn’t back out.  I’m instantly turning his team into the favorite this year (he would have Sale, Verlander, Kluber, Trout and Harper) but my team would still be very stacked for this year and the future (will keep guys like Benintendi, JD, Blackmon, Soto, Abreu, Lindor, Rendon).  And I have a comfortable lead with regards to record and points (of which both pay out a nice chunk).

I officially have Soto (and Snell) for the next 3 years!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got too many 3b in a points league keeper with Shaw, Rendon and Devers. Last year kept all 3 and that’s not good business. Probably only keeping Rendon this year unless I still have Devers.

The Moncada/Gleybar owner just offered me Moncada for Devers straight up. A few months ago I couldn’t even get Moncada/Gleybar in the discussion for Devers and it never went anywhere. I think he’s looking at his keepers now and seeing the need to move a kid up the middle for a corner. 

Where do you guys stand now on Moncada, Devers and Gleybar now that we’ve seen them a bit? 

How would you play your cards here..go for Gleybar by adding something else from my side? I also could probably throw Devers up to a few other teams and say best offer wins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gleyber's first 3 months have been fairly similar to Devers' first three months last year and it's possible neither one is healthy right now (edit - just saw Devers is on the DL again, can't take a weekend away from this game :ph34r:).  They're the exact same age and neither one of them saw much above A ball.  I don't think we've seen pitchers adjust to Torres yet, so what does he do when that happens?  At this point, they're one-in-the same to me.  I think their range of potential outcomes the next couple-few years are the same as of right now.  I'd be buying the cheaper of the two right now - so, probably Devers.

I think Yoan Moncada is going through something resembling the Javy Baez career arc, but that also may mean the worse is yet to come.  If you were positive on him a few months ago then I wouldn't waiver much right now.  If you were skeptical on him then you still are.  But if you wait too long to buy then the price will likely swing dramatically given his pedigree.  He could remove his head from his ### over the next two months - positive signs are actually there recently.  That said, I'm not sure his price will get any lower than it is now even if his last two months don't go better.  His owners are frustrated with a 35/7/30/7/mendoza line split the last 3 months.  But come season's end when they see he finished 20/20 with a double digit walk rate there will be justifiable reasons for optimism.

Cliff notes: how risk adverse are you?  With Moncada's wheels he has the higher ceiling, but his bat so far leads me to believe he has by far the lowest floor.  That's where I was 4 months ago though.

Edited by MAC_32
derr...didn't realize Devers just went back to the DL again
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem taking on some risk in this case due to my roster construction.  I think I am too just by saying I'd be fine with Rendon and/or Shaw as keepers for me again next year.  I really do like Devers, and I've also never really had a solid 2b keeper in this league outside of Kinsler for a few years and NEVER a SS.  I'm always drafting the Semien's of the league, and usually I can get by but some years it is a real drag.  Torres probably goes to 2B only next year to start, so he's in the same boat as Moncada assuming Didi isn't moved, and then maybe in 2020 he can get SS back.  I'm just really conflicted on what to do but I also don't have to act now, the Feb trading season can get pretty hot in this league as people are looking for keeper upgrades and such.  I'm just not trading Devers for some draft pick and a top 30-50 prospect, which alot of what those trades become.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what I’d look at is 3B vs 2B in general, and what you can expect from the position.

3B is deeper, you expect more power, you expect a middle of the order hitter, and you expect some streaky behavior. 

2B you expect a good hit tool, higher in order guy, on base, and consistency. I think Moncada generally fits in a 3Bman mold, so if that’s what you want then great. 

I like Mac’s Baez comp with Moncada. Baez is the better athlete and better real life player, but there are some comparisons. I think Moncada has a better eye, less power, more speed, and probably a little better hitting for average tool. 

I think Devers will have a more steady career and thus has a higher floor. Moncada imo has a higher ceiling but his growing pains may be more severe, and he’s a guy that may have some dud seasons. He’s also a guy who could be a 1st rounder someday, I don’t see that in Devers. :2cents: 

 

Fwiw I own neither in keeper or dynasty leagues. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I think what I’d look at is 3B vs 2B in general, and what you can expect from the position.

3B is deeper, you expect more power, you expect a middle of the order hitter, and you expect some streaky behavior. 

2B you expect a good hit tool, higher in order guy, on base, and consistency. I think Moncada generally fits in a 3Bman mold, so if that’s what you want then great. 

I like Mac’s Baez comp with Moncada. Baez is the better athlete and better real life player, but there are some comparisons. I think Moncada has a better eye, less power, more speed, and probably a little better hitting for average tool. 

I think Devers will have a more steady career and thus has a higher floor. Moncada imo has a higher ceiling but his growing pains may be more severe, and he’s a guy that may have some dud seasons. He’s also a guy who could be a 1st rounder someday, I don’t see that in Devers. :2cents: 

 

Fwiw I own neither in keeper or dynasty leagues. 

Thanks for your 2 cents as well.  No mention of Torres for any particular reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2018 at 9:53 AM, MAC_32 said:

didn't realize Devers just went back to the DL again

Doesn't really matter in this case.  I have him and the other guy wants him.  Both of us will keep him.  He's out of it this year, I'm still battling but have Rendon and Shaw (which has been a good 3-some to own this year based on when they've been hurt/hot, that just doesn't work long term).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

Thanks for your 2 cents as well.  No mention of Torres for any particular reason?

I’m still not sure about Torres. The unexpected power surge is nice but probably not sustainable. Depends on what you need I guess but I much prefer Moncada. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Brewers are making this easier on me now with the trades they've made.  Shaw might get 20 appearances at 2B and retain it next year, unless it ends up being Mous at 2B :loco:.  That's a fine keeper at the keystone if it happens.  At least helps me hit the pause button right now and figure it all out in Feb.

Edited by Bobcat10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never fun throwing in the towel on a year... things turned pretty quick from considering going all-in to getting my best exit price.  I had a must-win week against the team that I was competing with for the 6th and final playoff spot, but lost Trout, Sale, and Happ to injury all in the same week and went from within striking distance to about 15 games out of the playoffs.

So, I traded Trout and Sale for Hoskins.  Trout would have cost me $65 of the $250 budget to keep, and Sale would have cost me $37.  Hoskins will only cost me $5 to keep, and I've got him under control for a few more years.  Hoping combining him with the ability to keep Bregman for $7 gives me a good start for next year.  Tried getting Soto, but the Soto owner told me he would not part with Soto for anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 3:54 PM, Doctor Detroit said:

Yeah I’d do either deal 

:thanks:        I'm like a fat kid in a candy store right now.  I ended up trading Verlander for Soto/Snell in a league where I get to keep Soto and Snell for 3 years.  Ironically I'm playing against the guy who made that trade in the first round of the playoffs this week and I'm crushing him.  Even if I win nothing this year, I feel like I got the 2 best players in that deal for the future.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking for some trade help - I've newly inherited a dynasty team, full keeper(rule 8 draft) no budget. Points league with daily W/L. Still figuring out what I'm doing, have done baseball before but the past few years only football. I still need to make a few drops to clean up the roster as well - I will gladly consider any commentary on how to clean this team up!

I was offered 

give:
Lance McCullers Jr., Hou SP
Julio Urias, LAD SP

get:
Starling Marte, Pit OF
Matthew Boyd, Det SP

my team, for reference:

C Wilson Ramos, Phi 
1B Carlos Santana, Phi 
2B Jose Altuve, Hou
3B Nicholas Castellanos, Det 
SS Andrelton Simmons, LAA
OF Christian Yelich, Mil
OF David Dahl, Col OF
OF Adam Eaton, Wsh OF
UTIL Brian Anderson, Mia 3B, OF
UTIL Jay Bruce, NYM OF
Bench Peter Alonso, NYM 
Bench Nick Senzel, Cin 3B 
----------------
SP Mike Foltynewicz, Atl
RP Alex Wood, LAD 
RP Brad Boxberger, Ari 
Bench Chris Archer, Pit 
Bench Lance McCullers Jr., Hou 
Bench Carlos Rodon, CWS 
Bench Anthony DeSclafani, Cin 
Bench Julio Urias, LAD
Bench Nick Kingham, Pit 
Bench Jeremy Hellickson, Wsh 
Bench Mitch Keller, Pit 
DLSean Manaea*, Oak 

 

Thanks for any help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jeff_h said:

I was offered 

give:
Lance McCullers Jr., Hou SP
Julio Urias, LAD SP

get:
Starling Marte, Pit OF
Matthew Boyd, Det SP

 

Marte's calling card is SB and he's about to turn 30.  Doesn't mean he will stop running right now, but it's in play.  And he's gotten a notch slower each of the last two years.  

As a Tigers fan as much as I'd love to be wrong, at his best Boyd's a middle of the/back end rotation type.  While Urias is fresh off tommy john and McCullers date with the knife sure seems inevitable they both have elite potential.  You can always find Boyd types for free - you can't find those.  The more of those bullets you have in the chamber the better.

Basically, the other owner is trying to sell off the best player in the deal before age gets the best of him while acquiring what is likely to be the more valuable players by 2020 - possibly sooner, assuming health.  I'd rather keep the riskier duo then live to trade another day.  If McCullers has a strong October it may be worthwhile to test those waters though.  He's gotten injured each of the last three seasons around August 1 - once with a back problem and twice with elbow/forearm issues.  I wouldn't jump off the train for just anything because of how good he is when he is healthy, but if you can flip him for a comparable young player I would.

Welcome back to the grind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 0:57 PM, jeff_h said:

Looking for some trade help - I've newly inherited a dynasty team, full keeper(rule 8 draft) no budget. Points league with daily W/L. Still figuring out what I'm doing, have done baseball before but the past few years only football. I still need to make a few drops to clean up the roster as well - I will gladly consider any commentary on how to clean this team up!

I was offered 

give:
Lance McCullers Jr., Hou SP
Julio Urias, LAD SP

get:
Starling Marte, Pit OF
Matthew Boyd, Det SP

my team, for reference:

C Wilson Ramos, Phi 
1B Carlos Santana, Phi 
2B Jose Altuve, Hou
3B Nicholas Castellanos, Det 
SS Andrelton Simmons, LAA
OF Christian Yelich, Mil
OF David Dahl, Col OF
OF Adam Eaton, Wsh OF
UTIL Brian Anderson, Mia 3B, OF
UTIL Jay Bruce, NYM OF
Bench Peter Alonso, NYM 
Bench Nick Senzel, Cin 3B 
----------------
SP Mike Foltynewicz, Atl
RP Alex Wood, LAD 
RP Brad Boxberger, Ari 
Bench Chris Archer, Pit 
Bench Lance McCullers Jr., Hou 
Bench Carlos Rodon, CWS 
Bench Anthony DeSclafani, Cin 
Bench Julio Urias, LAD
Bench Nick Kingham, Pit 
Bench Jeremy Hellickson, Wsh 
Bench Mitch Keller, Pit 
DLSean Manaea*, Oak 

 

Thanks for any help

How many teams in the league?

Am I seeing this correctly that you can only start one SP each day with two RPs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.