The Ref

Now the 2018 Assistant Coach Thread

659 posts in this topic

Considering offering Donaldson + Manaea for Soto.  3 year keeper league and I would only have 1 year left on Donaldson and 3 years for Soto.  I have plenty of pitching depth so losing Manaea has no effect on me.  My outfield is already pretty great (Blackmon, JD, Benintendi, Upton, Kemp) but I feel like I shouldn't miss out on an opportunity to get 3 years of Soto.  And I would likely be starting him over Upton in the utility slot.  At worst, I build up a lot of depth.  Any thoughts?

If I'm the Soto owner then I'm stabbing you in the eye with a corkscrew. 

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

If I'm the Soto owner then I'm stabbing you in the eye with a corkscrew. 

It was actually his idea to make the trade.  He just wanted to see Donaldson come back and play a few games first.  But after tonight, I have a feeling he's not making that trade anymore.     :(

ETA - Are you saying that I'm getting ripped off?  It seems like Soto could end up being a difference maker, Donaldson is on the decline and I'm getting 3 years of keeper status on a potential stud.

Edited by fred_1_15301

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Considering offering Donaldson + Manaea for Soto.  3 year keeper league and I would only have 1 year left on Donaldson and 3 years for Soto.  I have plenty of pitching depth so losing Manaea has no effect on me.  My outfield is already pretty great (Blackmon, JD, Benintendi, Upton, Kemp) but I feel like I shouldn't miss out on an opportunity to get 3 years of Soto.  And I would likely be starting him over Upton in the utility slot.  At worst, I build up a lot of depth.  Any thoughts?

Manaea is trash, a replaceable WW asset.

Donaldson is a buy low.

That said, Juan Soto is my favorite baseball player. He's some crazy combo of Don Mattingly and Rod Carew.  I :wub: his face, and he's a 400 OBP guy with 35 homer upside.  It's just so easy for him, that's the thing.  Soto thinks baseball is easy. 

Make the deal, you won't regret it.

ETA: I'm the biggest Juan Soto fan in the world. 

Edited by Doctor Detroit
1 person likes this

Need a start in points league this weekend....no negatives, only wins, K's and innings matter.

Urena @ BAL (Gausman)

Nova vs CIN (Castillo)

Who you rolling with?

Posted (edited)

On 6/13/2018 at 9:17 PM, fred_1_15301 said:

Guy countered:

He gives me Snell, McCullers and Soto

I give him Verlander and Donaldson.

Again it’s a 3 year keeper league.  My rotation would still be very good with Snell, McCullers, Folty, Musgrove, Stripling, Cahill, Happ, Gibson, Soroka and Covey.  I already have the best lineup in the league and would be adding Soto.  Only thing holding me back is that I currently have best record and most points and I don’t want to mess with karma.  

Edited by fred_1_15301

Who would be your 3B and how many years can you keep Snell/McCullers?  No limit on the number of players you can keep?  I'd have already hit accept, I think.

1 hour ago, Bobcat10 said:

Who would be your 3B and how many years can you keep Snell/McCullers?  No limit on the number of players you can keep?  I'd have already hit accept, I think.

I can keep up to 8 players.  My 3B is Rendon so I think I'm ok there.  He's starting to have 2nd thoughts about Donaldson so the offer may now be Snell + Soto for Verlander.  Since I only have one more year left for Verly and I would have a full 3 years for Snell and Soto, I think I'm going to accept.  I don't think Snell is THAT much of a downgrade from Verlander (head to head points league) and having 3 years of Soto makes me a little tingly.  

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I can keep up to 8 players.  My 3B is Rendon so I think I'm ok there.  He's starting to have 2nd thoughts about Donaldson so the offer may now be Snell + Soto for Verlander.  Since I only have one more year left for Verly and I would have a full 3 years for Snell and Soto, I think I'm going to accept.  I don't think Snell is THAT much of a downgrade from Verlander (head to head points league) and having 3 years of Soto makes me a little tingly.  

Yeah I’d do either deal 

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Yeah I’d do either deal 

7 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Yeah I’d do either deal 

Thanks.  I’m going for it - hopefully he doesn’t back out.  I’m instantly turning his team into the favorite this year (he would have Sale, Verlander, Kluber, Trout and Harper) but my team would still be very stacked for this year and the future (will keep guys like Benintendi, JD, Blackmon, Soto, Abreu, Lindor, Rendon).  And I have a comfortable lead with regards to record and points (of which both pay out a nice chunk).

Posted (edited)

Offered Stanton, Greinke, and Solarte for my Bregman and Senzel.

It's a keeper league letting you keep five guys, with kept players eligible to be kept for up to five years at their auction draft price with just a $2 bump each year.  So, I can keep Bregman for $7 and Senzel for $3 next year (I've still got a few more years of Bregman and Senzel hasn't been a keeper yet).  I don't really see any of the guys that I'd be getting as keepers because their value would be too high (and in Solarte's case, because he's Solarte).  

I'm currently in 4th place.  Batter-wise, I'd be replacing Bregman at 3B and Smoak/Meadows at UT with Solarte and Stanton.  Greinke may give me an excuse to dump L.Weaver or C.Anderson.

It does not seem like a bad offer for going all-in.  Giving up Bregman is tough though.  He appears to be turning into a stud that I can build around given his keeper price.  I feel like I've got a solid young core that can keep my team closer to the top for the next few years (also have Torres and Robles pretty cheap), and it would be giving up a chunk of that.

ETA: Weekly H2H league. So, not trying to boost any one category in particular.

Edited by Don Quixote

Senzel is hitting 333/436 with 5 SB since coming off the DL May 29.  The power took some time, but he has 4 XBH and went yard in the last week.  He's coming up soon and even if his bat takes some time is a good bet to be better than Solarte instantly because of his wheels.  It depends on format, but Bregman has actually been better than Stanton this year.  Giancarlo can undo all of that in a couple of weeks, but it continuing isn't a crazy thought. While it's safe to assume Greinke would upgrade your rotation when it counts, is it worth giving up more than a half dozen years of Bregman and Senzel in their prime? 

I wouldn't do it.

*Disclaimer: I generally don't consider all-in deals in H2H unless blown away in the first place though.  The best team often doesn't win.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Senzel is hitting 333/436 with 5 SB since coming off the DL May 29.  The power took some time, but he has 4 XBH and went yard in the last week.  He's coming up soon and even if his bat takes some time is a good bet to be better than Solarte instantly because of his wheels.

Hijacking slightly but where is Senzel going to play? Cincinnati has top 10 players/possible all stars at both the 2B and 3B positions. Yes that sounds ridiculous based on their names (Gennett, Suarez) but from the start of the 2016 season both are pretty great hitters. 

With Peraza young himself at SS, I'm not sure Senzel is coming up soon at all and if he is, does he get enough PAs to matter?

6 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Hijacking slightly but where is Senzel going to play? Cincinnati has top 10 players/possible all stars at both the 2B and 3B positions. Yes that sounds ridiculous based on their names (Gennett, Suarez) but from the start of the 2016 season both are pretty great hitters. 

With Peraza young himself at SS, I'm not sure Senzel is coming up soon at all and if he is, does he get enough PAs to matter?

Scooter is a UFA after 19, so he's probably their best trade candidate.  Will there be a buyer?  :shrug: If not there are a lot of plan B's that ultimately end with him in the OF and Senzel at 2nd.  

Have they written off Senzel at SS?  If no then Peraza won't necessarily keep him down.  I just noticed Senzel hasn't been getting any run at short this year.

8 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Scooter is a UFA after 19, so he's probably their best trade candidate.  Will there be a buyer?  :shrug: If not there are a lot of plan B's that ultimately end with him in the OF and Senzel at 2nd.  

Have they written off Senzel at SS?  If no then Peraza won't necessarily keep him down.  I just noticed Senzel hasn't been getting any run at short this year.

I think he started there for the first time this week. I agree the Reds should trade Gennett, I just don't have much belief they actually will.

Gennett leads the NL in batting average and is 4th in RBI. He's 3 back of 2nd in HR (6th back of the lead because Bryce Harper exists), but if not, TRIPLE CROWN CANDIDATE, SCOOTER GENNETT!!!

1 person likes this

On 6/20/2018 at 10:55 AM, MAC_32 said:

Senzel is hitting 333/436 with 5 SB since coming off the DL May 29.  The power took some time, but he has 4 XBH and went yard in the last week.  He's coming up soon and even if his bat takes some time is a good bet to be better than Solarte instantly because of his wheels.  It depends on format, but Bregman has actually been better than Stanton this year.  Giancarlo can undo all of that in a couple of weeks, but it continuing isn't a crazy thought. While it's safe to assume Greinke would upgrade your rotation when it counts, is it worth giving up more than a half dozen years of Bregman and Senzel in their prime? 

I wouldn't do it.

*Disclaimer: I generally don't consider all-in deals in H2H unless blown away in the first place though.  The best team often doesn't win.

Thanks.  I had been leaning against, and this confirmed it for me.  Decided to reject.

I agree H2H can be luck a lot of times.  I feel like having good keepers to give more bites at the apple is the best strategy in this league.  Also helps to be able to spend money in auction elsewhere (I was able to outbid everyone for Trout this year -- no regrets on that).

1 person likes this

On 6/15/2018 at 4:06 PM, fred_1_15301 said:

Thanks.  I’m going for it - hopefully he doesn’t back out.  I’m instantly turning his team into the favorite this year (he would have Sale, Verlander, Kluber, Trout and Harper) but my team would still be very stacked for this year and the future (will keep guys like Benintendi, JD, Blackmon, Soto, Abreu, Lindor, Rendon).  And I have a comfortable lead with regards to record and points (of which both pay out a nice chunk).

I officially have Soto (and Snell) for the next 3 years!

2 people like this

Maybe I should have tried countering with something involving Senzel.