The Ref

Now the 2018 Assistant Coach Thread

669 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

I'm in a 14 team  man keeper league.  This is my first year taking over this team or in a baseball keeper league.  Its a H2H points league.  My keepers are:

C- W. Castillo

1B- Abreau

2B-C. Hernandez

SS- Correa

3B- Gyorko (2B, 3B & SS)

OF- Trout, Kemp, Tomas, Herrera, Danny Santana (Start 3)

SP- Smyly, Skaggs, Richards, Bauer, Hellickson and Blake Snell

I had Carlos Martinez and traded him for the 3rd overall pick and Blake Snell.  I know hold picks 2 and 3 overall in this draft.  From what I can see my pitching needs major upgrades.

My question(s) right now would be, who should I be targeting at 2 and 3?

I'm 99.9% sure the first pick of the draft will be Cody Bellinger. 

According to Fantistics the best available hitters (minus OF) that could help me would be:

Schimpf

Ryon Healy

Jose Ramirez

Of that group Healy seems to stand out as someone that could really help but I don't know if I can wait on him since I have Gyorko or if I need him, well, because I have Gyorko who is just a one-trick pony.

My pitching would seem to need a lot of attention though.  And there seems to be a ton of young arms out there like:

Rodon

Cotton

De Leon

Chad Green

Aaron Nola

Eduardo Rodriguez

Foltynewicz

Yadier Alvarez

Cotton

Jeff Hoffman

Or vets like:

Shoemaker

Gray

Matt Moore

Archie Bradley

Taijuan Walker

Should I be picking/looking at 2 from these groups?  Part of me wants to lean with Alvarez and Rodon but I'm not really sure.  What would you guys suggest?  Should I look for a prospect bat like Tyler O'Niel or just go with a Healy etc?

Thanks!

You're overrating Healy. He only hit 16 HRs in 600 ABs in the Cal League. I know he was great last year but he didn't really walk at all and I worry he'll get exploited. Now, that said, Ramirez is much better for roto than points, unless you penalize for Ks, and then maybe his low Ks, steals, XBH schtick will work for you. 

If these are the best players available it seems likely you got fleeced in that deal. C-Mart for Snell and Nola doesn't seem that great in a keep forever league. 

I would definitely take Rodon if he's there. I really don't love Gyorko at 3B (are you not using MI and CI?) but I'm not sure Ramirez or Healy is a big enough upgrade. So I think I'd lean towards Nola. If he's not there, I think I'd maybe go Taijaun Walker or Cotton for the 2nd pick. I know you love Alvarez, but TINSTAAPP. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, jfranco77 said:

You're overrating Healy. He only hit 16 HRs in 600 ABs in the Cal League. I know he was great last year but he didn't really walk at all and I worry he'll get exploited. Now, that said, Ramirez is much better for roto than points, unless you penalize for Ks, and then maybe his low Ks, steals, XBH schtick will work for you. 

If these are the best players available it seems likely you got fleeced in that deal. C-Mart for Snell and Nola doesn't seem that great in a keep forever league. 

I would definitely take Rodon if he's there. I really don't love Gyorko at 3B (are you not using MI and CI?) but I'm not sure Ramirez or Healy is a big enough upgrade. So I think I'd lean towards Nola. If he's not there, I think I'd maybe go Taijaun Walker or Cotton for the 2nd pick. I know you love Alvarez, but TINSTAAPP. 

Healy and Rameriz are only in the discussion because I'm pretty much OK everywhere else and could use a 3rd baseman.

We don't have any K penalties as well. 

Regarding Martinez, I kind of feel like I sold high.  He got kind of lucky last season and I think his overall #'s take a step back.  Still just 24 he could be good but I don't usually prefer GB pitchers. I'm good with a Snell and Rodon for Martinez trade.

There's no MI or CI, he would just be my 3rd baseman this season unless one of the others I mentioned (Healy or Ramirez) falls to the 2nd which is possible.  I have the overall bats to sustain him I believe.

The more I looked at Walker the less I liked him.  Moving to a hitters park while losing velocity really worries me.

And please tell me what TINSTAAPP means lol

Edited by Bigboy10182000
Found the TINSTAAPP acronym

3 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

How much should I be weighing the future? This Yadier Alvarez reads like he'll end up as possible the #1 prospect in baseball next year and may even get time this season. 

Too shallow of a league for a Alvarez, he's probably three years out.  With pitching in a format like this I'd be getting guys that are breakout candidates for this year, or guys that will likely get innings this year with high upsides. 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Too shallow of a league for a Alvarez, he's probably three years out.  With pitching in a format like this I'd be getting guys that are breakout candidates for this year, or guys that will likely get innings this year with high upsides. 

This is what I was looking for with him. He seemed far away to me having only pitched low-a ball but the Fantisitics ETA said 2017. Wasn't sure if they would bring him up like they did with Urias last season. I saw a few places that had him as their best overall prospect too. 

42 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

This is what I was looking for with him. He seemed far away to me having only pitched low-a ball but the Fantisitics ETA said 2017. Wasn't sure if they would bring him up like they did with Urias last season. I saw a few places that had him as their best overall prospect too. 

He's 18 and I saw him pitch live last year, and I think he threw fastballs every pitch. He's got a live arm, fun to watch a kid throw 96 against other kids. His control was pretty iffy but the arm is elite. 

23 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

He's 18 and I saw him pitch live last year, and I think he threw fastballs every pitch. He's got a live arm, fun to watch a kid throw 96 against other kids. His control was pretty iffy but the arm is elite. 

He'll be 21 on Tuesday, March 7th. 

He only threw 59 innings last season though. I can't see him getting the call unless he smashes high-a ball this season. Maybe I can grab him in the 2nd or 3rd round but he's one I definitely want 

If you can use a Carlos Martinez type to get a priority pick and an arm like Snell then I would not bother with someone like Alvarez.

Snell now is what Alvarez will likely be a few years from now. Let someone else hold him for a coupletree years then after he hits a rough patch, as all young arms do, trade for him if you still want him. 

5 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

If you can use a Carlos Martinez type to get a priority pick and an arm like Snell then I would not bother with someone like Alvarez.

Snell now is what Alvarez will likely be a few years from now. Let someone else hold him for a coupletree years then after he hits a rough patch, as all young arms do, trade for him if you still want him. 

Good point. 

Who do you like from the list of arms I mentioned above? 

3 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

He'll be 21 on Tuesday, March 7th. 

He only threw 59 innings last season though. I can't see him getting the call unless he smashes high-a ball this season. Maybe I can grab him in the 2nd or 3rd round but he's one I definitely want 

18 in baseball years 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Good point. 

Who do you like from the list of arms I mentioned above? 

I haven't looked at most of them yet. I think Nola is legit, but I think there is more he is already injured risk than most. If you're going the prospect route I'd go De Leon before Alvarez. The only other one I've really noted so far is Eduardo and that was just to add a reminder to not draft him - knee. I need to finish my bats cheat sheet and move onto arms.

For the other I'd roll with Ramirez. That way you're not relying on Gyroko. If Jedd does more of what he did last year then you can replace Cesar, who doesn't suck but doesn't really help much either.

Do you start a U? If so I'd consider a Ramirez/Healy back to back. 

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I haven't looked at most of them yet. I think Nola is legit, but I think there is more he is already injured risk than most. If you're going the prospect route I'd go De Leon before Alvarez. The only other one I've really noted so far is Eduardo and that was just to add a reminder to not draft him - knee. I need to finish my bats cheat sheet and move onto arms.

For the other I'd roll with Ramirez. That way you're not relying on Gyroko. If Jedd does more of what he did last year then you can replace Cesar, who doesn't suck but doesn't really help much either.

Do you start a U? If so I'd consider a Ramirez/Healy back to back. 

When you get to the pitchers please let me know what you think. 

No we don't start a utility. It's an actual DH, which sucks. 

I thought about taking them both but really could use a couple starting pitchers with those picks. Right now I'm leaning with that and seeing what's left in the second round. 

Isn't Healy DH'ing this year?

I think Alvarez might up being a reliever.  :2cents:

23 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

His gamelog fits the narrative too.  When he first got dealt his BB's spiked, but slowly trended down as the last two months progressed.  Discounting @COL since no one in their right mind starts him there, he had the shelling @LAD and outside of that to finish the year?

6 G 6 W 41.2 IP 46 K 10 BB 7 ER 4 QS 0 HR

Arbitrary end points, which is a game I hate playing, but you can believe some of what this story says.  I'd still rather own him in H2H than Roto since a shelling can be quickly erased and I don't trust a 6* game sample, but there's reason to buy into this.

10-team league with 6x6 head-to-head (AVG, OPS, HR, R, RBI, SB, W, L, K, ERA, WHIP, SV)

Positions are: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P

How am I looking through 12 rounds?

1B:  Anthony Rizzo

3B: Anthony Rendon

SS:  Manny Machado

OF:  Giancarlo Stanton

OF:  Jose Bautista

OF: Christian Yelich

SP: Madison Bumgarner

SP: Chris Sale

SP:  David Price (yikes)

SP: Carlos Carrasco

SP: Cole Hamels

SP: Kevin Gausman

OK, this league I joined is a 16 team head to head points keep-10 league with a starting lineup of C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, OF, OF, OF, UT - SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP and 14 bench spots.

The points system is a bit wacky too but not even worrying about this, how would you adjust for starting only 48 SP's and having to start 48 RP's (saves are worth 4, holds 3).  Devalues both SP and RP a fair bit, right? Both SP and RP in the 30-50 range are pretty interchangeable IMO.

96 pitchers per team seems like a lot

2 people like this

6 hours ago, TheBottomLine said:

10-team league with 6x6 head-to-head (AVG, OPS, HR, R, RBI, SB, W, L, K, ERA, WHIP, SV)

Positions are: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P

How am I looking through 12 rounds?

1B:  Anthony Rizzo

3B: Anthony Rendon

SS:  Manny Machado

OF:  Giancarlo Stanton

OF:  Jose Bautista

OF: Christian Yelich

SP: Madison Bumgarner

SP: Chris Sale

SP:  David Price (yikes)

SP: Carlos Carrasco

SP: Cole Hamels

SP: Kevin Gausman

Looks pretty good.  I generally invest more in hitters and than pitchers, but your bats might be good enough to pull 3-4 Cats each week and your pitching is stout.  I'd focus on bats for a bit.  If Stanton or Bautista underperform or get hurt which is quite possible, you'll be hurting on offense.

7 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

OK, this league I joined is a 16 team head to head points keep-10 league with a starting lineup of C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, OF, OF, OF, UT - SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP and 14 bench spots.

The points system is a bit wacky too but not even worrying about this, how would you adjust for starting only 48 SP's and having to start 48 RP's (saves are worth 4, holds 3).  Devalues both SP and RP a fair bit, right? Both SP and RP in the 30-50 range are pretty interchangeable IMO.

Those are some pretty huge rosters.  I would be very tempted to wait on SPs till late and just pick up 8 or so to stream every week based on 2 starts if it's a weekly transactions league.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Looks pretty good.  I generally invest more in hitters and than pitchers, but your bats might be good enough to pull 3-4 Cats each week and your pitching is stout.  I'd focus on bats for a bit.  If Stanton or Bautista underperform or get hurt which is quite possible, you'll be hurting on offense.

Just plucked Carlos Santana in the 13th.  He's even better in OPS.  

I Like Rodon for certain in the @Bigboy10182000  Scenario!!

I kept Gordon over Desmond - so we shall see how that works out;

@TheBottomLine - I agree going sticks for the next few rounds - I personally think pitching is harder to predict/more fragile than Bats.. that being said, any chance any RPs are going to fall?

@Northern Voice I agree that pitching becomes devalued in that scenario; I play in a similar points league and almost always go offense the first 7 or 8 rounds and my pitching always seem to be just fine. Of course, that league is a 10 teamer and it is pretty easy to stream 2 starters as needed so that does help my strategy. 

Good Luck all

2 people like this

12 team points league, keep 5 majors, 4 youngs, 7 minors.

Looks like I'm about to acquire Arenado for Strasburg, Urias, Tomas, Devers, and a 4th.

My keepers are now Arenado, XB, Odor, Marte, and Hanley (unless I trade for a SP now)....Taillon, Snell, McCullers, Desclafini....Benintendi, Robles, E. Jimenez, Y. Alvarez, Rodgers, O'Neill, and either Cease or Mateo.

Seems like alot, but to me it's basically Urias and Devers for Arenado.  I have an extra 2nd, two extra 5ths, and an extra 6th as far as picks go....and I was looking to move on from Strasburg....Tomas is clearly expendable.  

I have Tomas as well and Im not really sure what to make of him at this point.

If I can deal Tomas for the 5th pick of the draft is that something to do?

OF would then be Trout, Kemp and Herrara

21 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

If I can deal Tomas for the 5th pick of the draft is that something to do?

OF would then be Trout, Kemp and Herrara

I'd think about it to nab some of that pitching you listed above.  You kind of need to rebuild the roster besides a few spots....what can you fetch for Kemp and/or Richards?  

20 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

I'd think about it to nab some of that pitching you listed above.  You kind of need to rebuild the roster besides a few spots....what can you fetch for Kemp and/or Richards?  

I'll have to send out some feelers for those guys.  I thought about just hanging on to him as a 4th OFer. he does have some pop and may get me something more if he starts to tear it up.

Im leaning toward Rodon and Nola at 2 & 3.  Nola apparently was hitting 94 on the gun in his 2 innings which would be a 2 MPH increase from last season.

We are the approximate equivalent of a 17-team mixed 5x5 with OBP and SB-CS instead of AVG and SB. 7 keepers per team. 6 of mine are (with $260 cap equivalents):

JD Martinez $8, Pollock $13, Darvish $5, Osuna $8, Benintendi $4 and Piscotty $5.

Which of these would you choose for the 7th keeper:

Segura $18, Tim Anderson $4 or AJ Ramos $8?

5 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

We are the approximate equivalent of a 17-team mixed 5x5 with OBP and SB-CS instead of AVG and SB. 7 keepers per team. 6 of mine are (with $260 cap equivalents):

JD Martinez $8, Pollock $13, Darvish $5, Osuna $8, Benintendi $4 and Piscotty $5.

Mr Anderson IMO

9 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Ramos is a good choice, given that your special categories are very bad for Anderson. But I can see the appeal in Anderson anyway. And I'd be worried about going into a league this deep without anybody at MI. And you already have a closer. I guess I'd lean towards Anderson, but hope he gets off to a hot start and maybe flip him before his warts get exposed. I like Segura but I'm not sure I can justify 14 bucks more than Anderson.

I am loving so many of the pitchers that are falling in the 12 - 20 round. McCullers, Nola, Rodon, Paxton, Gray, Happ, Estrada, Richards, Skaggs, Cotton, Cobb, etc.

I am seriously contemplating taking whoever falls to round 6 in the Carrasco/Archer/DeGrom/Hamels tier then not taking a SP again until round 12+

- edit - I am in a H2H league so I tend to go absurd quantity over quality anyway

Edited by the moops

On 3/11/2017 at 1:33 PM, the moops said:

I am loving so many of the pitchers that are falling in the 12 - 20 round. McCullers, Nola, Rodon, Paxton, Gray, Happ, Estrada, Richards, Skaggs, Cotton, Cobb, etc.

I am seriously contemplating taking whoever falls to round 6 in the Carrasco/Archer/DeGrom/Hamels tier then not taking a SP again until round 12+

- edit - I am in a H2H league so I tend to go absurd quantity over quality anyway

How would you rank the SP's you mentioned in the 12-20?

On 03/03/2017 at 2:27 PM, Northern Voice said:

I keep getting offers for Kershaw in this league. Latest is Schwarber/Rodon/Kemp. My team isn't going to win this year and I don't have 10 legit keepers so a 1 for multiple where I get younger makes sense. A rule in this league is if you trade for a guy, you must keep him as one of your 10, so I don't love Kemp but if he swapped in one of Max Kepler, Maikel Franco or J. P. Crawford for Kemp, is that enough for Kershaw (I really like Schwarber...)

First time NFBC satellite draft... 12 teams Roto, starting 5 OFs with likely heavy competition in the league so draft was no cakewalk. Not super experienced with roto but I am pretty happy with the outcome. Looks to be weak at 2B/MI/UTL but had to make some sacrifices. Offense is a decent mix of old and some upside IMO, got good values on guys like Beltre and Bautista. My pitching is probably heavily skewed young and risky but figured if I might as well try to go for the upside if I am trying to win. 

http://oi67.tinypic.com/3hqpt.jpg

Edited by Elodin

5 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

How would you rank the SP's you mentioned in the 12-20?

Depends on leeg format and makeup of your team, but - I agree with him. 

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

Depends on leeg format and makeup of your team, but - I agree with him. 

I wasn't sure if that was the order he liked them in or just the names he came across. 

In my league I'm taking Rodon for sure and debating between Nola and Cotton. Nola from what I've been reading actually has his velocity up so far this spring. 

6 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

I keep getting offers for Kershaw in this league. Latest is Schwarber/Rodon/Kemp. My team isn't going to win this year and I don't have 10 legit keepers so a 1 for multiple where I get younger makes sense. A rule in this league is if you trade for a guy, you must keep him as one of your 10, so I don't love Kemp but if he swapped in one of Max Kepler, Maikel Franco or J. P. Crawford for Kemp, is that enough for Kershaw (I really like Schwarber...)

I don't think that's nearly enough for Kershaw. If you're rebuilding, I'd want like Bregman, Urias, and Buxton.   If you love Schwarber, fine, but the rest of that package isn't even close for me. 

Bumgarner just got traded in my league for Bregman and Benintendi to a rebuild squad. I like that haul way better than what you're showing above. 

Edited by bigmarc27

10 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

I don't think that's nearly enough for Kershaw. If you're rebuilding, I'd want like Bregman, Urias, and Buxton.   If you love Schwarber, fine, but the rest of that package isn't even close for me. 

Bumgarner just got traded in my league for Bregman and Benintendi to a rebuild squad. I like that haul way better than what you're showing above. 

I agree with this.  Also agree with trying to deal Kershaw, just get way more for him imo.

On 3/11/2017 at 1:33 PM, the moops said:

The risk is baked into the price, but both of these guys had barking elbows / forearms last year and are ticking time-bombs for TJ.

Hamels will be the last remaining of the other guys you mention. Not sure Id feel very safe building a staff around Hamels, McCullers and Nola. 

Edited by E-Z Glider