Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
The Ref

Now the 2018 Assistant Coach Thread

19 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Given the depth of that lineup I'd dump him.  I play in a league with a similar format and think that owning good injured players is difficult to manage, let alone starting out of the gates with one.

Yeah, I hate it but I'd dump him too. Too much chance that he's out till June, even though that's not what the Rockies are saying now. 

11 hours ago, BigA said:

Price 18, Felix 15 greinke 17, bauer 1, matt moore 1. tanaka 11, r.iglesias 1

myers 11, bryant 37, duvall 4, piscotty 4. lamb 3, baez 1, swanson 1, devon travis 1, profar 1
Leon 1, travis shaw 1, cozart 1,  kipnis 16. s.perez 6. 

I would just go with the 4 guys you think have upped their value the most from last years draft to this years draft. I bolded the 4 that I like.

14 hours ago, BigA said:

Youre looking at the possible keepers from the all time worst lineup from last year. Need some help.

Keep up to 4. auction h2h stats. one win

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Walk Ratio (K/BB), Quality Starts (QS)

Price 18, Felix 15 greinke 17, bauer 1, matt moore 1. tanaka 11, r.iglesias 1
myers 11, bryant 37, duvall 4, piscotty 4. lamb 3, baez 1, swanson 1, devon travis 1, profar 1
Leon 1, travis shaw 1, cozart 1,  kipnis 16. s.perez 6. 

Any other tips would be great. how to attack draft. in season stuff.

thx

10 team

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL

3 hours ago, BigA said:

10 team

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL

Wow, sounds like you'll be donating for a while with that roster in a league that shallow :(  

I'd go Bryant, Tanaka, Baez, Piscotty and hope Baez and Piscotty turn into stars. You really shouldn't be keeping anyone who isn't in the top half of their position or an extreme bargain (so a top 5 SS, or a top 15 OF). The good news is that 4 keepers should prevent a true dynasty, the bad news is I'd bet some teams have 4 insanely good keepers. 

14 minutes ago, jfranco77 said:

Wow, sounds like you'll be donating for a while with that roster in a league that shallow :(  

I'd go Bryant, Tanaka, Baez, Piscotty and hope Baez and Piscotty turn into stars. You really shouldn't be keeping anyone who isn't in the top half of their position or an extreme bargain (so a top 5 SS, or a top 15 OF). The good news is that 4 keepers should prevent a true dynasty, the bad news is I'd bet some teams have 4 insanely good keepers. 

Could free up some money and keep Iglesias instead of Tanaka. With only 4 keepers some team(s) will be dropping some good players.

I wouldn't keep any pitchers in that format unless you had $5 Kershaw.  :2cents:

10 hours ago, BigA said:

10 team

I'm a big Tanaka fan, but in this format with that added rate category, I'd try rolling with 5 closers and streaming 2 start pitchers every week.  Plenty of SP depth to do that in a 10 team league.  High K/BB set up men like Miller/Betances/Barraclough are also useful in a league like this. 

With that said, I'm keeping Bryant, Myers, Swanson.  4th spot is more of a question between Lamb/Piscotty/Baez.  If there looks to be a ton of talent available in the draft, I'd lean Baez for the versatility and extra couple bucks to spend in auction.

13 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I wouldn't keep any pitchers in that format unless you had $5 Kershaw.  :2cents:

K/BB, and QS both seem like things Tanaka is really good at. Plus he's a WHIP monster. 

I'm in a head-to-head points league where we keep 8 players.  Fairly standard scoring but quality starts are weighted pretty heavily.  My definite keepers are Blackmon, Polanco, JD Martinez, Lindor, Carrasco and Verlander.  I'm also leaning towards keeping Benintendi.  I would then need to pick one out of Hendriks, Porcello, Carlos Santana, Wilson Contreras and Aledmys Diaz.  Any thoughts/suggestions?  This is my first ever keeper league so I have no clue what I'm doing.

16 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I'm in a head-to-head points league where we keep 8 players.  Fairly standard scoring but quality starts are weighted pretty heavily.  My definite keepers are Blackmon, Polanco, JD Martinez, Lindor, Carrasco and Verlander.  I'm also leaning towards keeping Benintendi.  I would then need to pick one out of Hendriks, Porcello, Carlos Santana, Wilson Contreras and Aledmys Diaz.  Any thoughts/suggestions?  This is my first ever keeper league so I have no clue what I'm doing.

Because of the quality starts aspect Porcello might be hard to drop.  Also I'd consider keeping Diaz over Benintendi but I'm not sure how long you can keep these guys.  If it's forever Benintendi might be the move. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Because of the quality starts aspect Porcello might be hard to drop.  Also I'd consider keeping Diaz over Benintendi but I'm not sure how long you can keep these guys.  If it's forever Benintendi might be the move. 

Thanks. We can keep them for 3 years.  Yeah I'm really starting to lean towards Diaz but I was thinking of dropping Hendricks instead of Benintendi.  I think Benintendi may be a stud as early as this year.  But it is a gamble.

On 3/2/2017 at 9:15 AM, Bigboy10182000 said:

I'm in a 14 team  man keeper league.  This is my first year taking over this team or in a baseball keeper league.  Its a H2H points league.  My keepers are:

C- W. Castillo

1B- Abreau

2B-C. Hernandez

SS- Correa

3B- Gyorko (2B, 3B & SS)

OF- Trout, Kemp, Tomas, Herrera, Danny Santana (Start 3)

SP- Smyly, Skaggs, Richards, Bauer, Hellickson and Blake Snell

Do I trade Trout for Machado and a 2 this year?

5 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Oh man you got me second guessing the Benintendi pick.  I already have 3 pretty solid outfielders (Blackmon, Polanco and JD).  I have Lindor so I would have to put Diaz in the flex (as opposed to Benintendi).  I guess it comes down to whether Diaz or Benintendi is more valuable.  It would also likely be easier to get Benintendi in the draft since his ADP is lower.  I think I'm going to go with your advice and keep Diaz.  Now I have to choose between Hendricks and Porcello (I'm definitely keeping Verlander and Carrasco).

Gotta pick keepers and just wanted some opinions. I feel my top four are pretty set and just deciding the fifth but all opinions appreciated. Pretty standard auction league 260 cap, scoring standard except for obp instead of avg. C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, NA, NA

Keepers options and price for this year:

Machado 24

correa 15

C Seager 15

Gary Sanchez 10

For me feels like those are the locks and here are remaining options for last spot but someone correct me

if I'm wrong.

Verlander 13

Arrieta 22

Jake Lamb 10

Keon Brockton 10

Byron Buxton 6

Starling Marte 37

Rich Hill 10

im sure a few of those guys aren't really even in contention but just wanted to throw all seemingly feasible options out there incase I'm missing something. TIA

That's a damn good price on JV. I'd keep him. By doing that you can really be aggressive with bats then very selective with arms, waiting for values instead of needing to acquire one of a handful of guys or so to head your staff. 

Yahoo 12 team H2H league.  R HR RBI SB AVG OPS / W L SV K ERA WHIP

Only a 20 inning min per week and there are two UTIL spots in the hitting lineup.

Keeping these 7: Bryant, Miggy, Starling, Xander, Polanco, Sale, Bumgarner

Need 3 more from this group: Kipnis, Sano, Contreras, Brantley, Felix, Rodon, Fulmer, Hill

The Kipnis shoulder injury and Felix falling off the value cliff has me rethinking everything here.  

Fulmer is one.

Sano is probably another since you have the base to stomach his avg, especially in h2h

I think the last one just depends on your comfort level with health. You could just keep Contreras and not worry about it. I would not keep a 4th arm though.

14 hours ago, mlbnfl said:

Gotta pick keepers and just wanted some opinions. I feel my top four are pretty set and just deciding the fifth but all opinions appreciated. Pretty standard auction league 260 cap, scoring standard except for obp instead of avg. C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, NA, NA

Machado 24

correa 15

C Seager 15

Gary Sanchez 10

For me feels like those are the locks and here are remaining options for last spot but someone correct me

if I'm wrong.

Verlander 13

Arrieta 22

Jake Lamb 10

Keon Brockton 10

Byron Buxton 6

Starling Marte 37

Rich Hill 10

im sure a few of those guys aren't really even in contention but just wanted to throw all seemingly feasible options out there incase I'm missing something. TIA

Broxton or Verlander IMO

I have a head to head categories draft tomorrow night.  35IP minimum per week, 3 Util, 3 OF, no MIF/CIF, 8 pitchers with 3 RP slots. 

10 hitting and 10 pitching cats, I am defending champ.  Pitching goes early in this draft and I'll likely take a SPARP or two this year in lieu of a ####ty closer. 

Any sleepers for anyone who follows or understands this format?  You can easily punt a category or two, SB and SV guys have less value in this format.  TIA! 

11 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

Yahoo 12 team H2H league.  R HR RBI SB AVG OPS / W L SV K ERA WHIP

Only a 20 inning min per week and there are two UTIL spots in the hitting lineup.

Keeping these 7: Bryant, Miggy, Starling, Xander, Polanco, Sale, Bumgarner

Need 3 more from this group: Kipnis, Sano, Contreras, Brantley, Felix, Rodon, Fulmer, Hill

The Kipnis shoulder injury and Felix falling off the value cliff has me rethinking everything here.  

Sano, Hill... And I think Contreras. Hill should be awesome in H2H and should not get very many losses. I can see argument for Fulmer over Contreras but I like having a solid catcher.

23 hours ago, mlbnfl said:

Machado 24

correa 15

C Seager 15

Gary Sanchez 10

if I'm wrong.

Verlander 13

Arrieta 22

Jake Lamb 10

Keon Brockton 10

Byron Buxton 6

Starling Marte 37

Rich Hill 10

I would keep JV. With Price and Carrasco having issues the top of the SP ranks is a little scary. 

41 minutes ago, jfranco77 said:

Sano, Hill... And I think Contreras. Hill should be awesome in H2H and should not get very many losses. I can see argument for Fulmer over Contreras but I like having a solid catcher.

My original thought was Sano, Fulmer and Contreras....which is what @MAC_32 also said.  

Anyone else with an opinion?  @Doctor Detroit

We have a system where any keepers are slotted in the round they were drafted the year before.

My question is, what is the best way to compare the value of potential keepers based on the round they were drafted? For instance, a 1st-round value player who might be a 3rd-round keeper, vs. a 5th-round value player who might be a 12th-round keeper. I have to think it's more complex than simply subtracting their overall rank from the slotted draft spot ... for instance, a 3rd-round slot would be much more valuable than a 12th. Something like the NFL's draft value chart.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions?

7 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

My original thought was Sano, Fulmer and Contreras....which is what @MAC_32 also said.  

Anyone else with an opinion?  @Doctor Detroit

Tempting to take Hill as you're probably gonna get ace-like innings out of him, but he's 37 and has thrown over 110 innings (last years total) just once. 

On 3/17/2017 at 9:43 PM, fred_1_15301 said:

Ugh had to make my keepers decisions last night and I kept JD.  Looks like that may have bitten me in the ###

Edited by fred_1_15301

21 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I have a head to head categories draft tomorrow night.  35IP minimum per week, 3 Util, 3 OF, no MIF/CIF, 8 pitchers with 3 RP slots. 

10 hitting and 10 pitching cats, I am defending champ.  Pitching goes early in this draft and I'll likely take a SPARP or two this year in lieu of a ####ty closer. 

Any sleepers for anyone who follows or understands this format?  You can easily punt a category or two, SB and SV guys have less value in this format.  TIA! 

Thanks for the help! :mellow:

Just finished.  So this is a 10 team with R/H/1B/2B/3B/HR/RBI/K/AVG/SB and IP/R/H/ER/HR/BB/K/ERA/WHIP/SV

So again, starting pitching is worth more in a league like this than in almost any other format.  I lucked out and got the first pick, here is the team.

C Sal Perez

1B Chris Davis

2B Roughned Odor

SS Corey Seager

3B Alex Bregman

OF Mike Trout

OF Gregory Polanco

OF Dexter Fowler

UT Miguel Sano

UT Aledmys Diaz

UT Jarrod Dyson

BN Nomar Mazara

BN Travis Shaw

BN J Schoop

BN Michael Brantley

Getting Trout and then Seager was great, there were six starters taken in the first 19 picks so Seager fell and I took Kluber in the 3rd.  I have some good power and speed but made sure to get low K guys like Diaz, Dyson, and hopefully Brantley to balance out Chris Davis and Sano.  I got Dyson in the 24th and he's nice for 3B and SB and low K's so I liked getting him there.  Polanco fell too far, nice to have him also. Overall I like the balance but I do have some bust potential guys in there

---------------------------

SP Corey Kluber

SP Stephen Strasburg

RP Zach Britton

RP Adam Ottovino

RP Ryan Madsen

P Andrew Miller

P Delin Betances

P Gerrit Cole

BN Marco Estrada

BN James Paxton

This is not a great pitching staff for this league, but I think Cole is a #2 starter so that might help.  You need five starts a week minimum most weeks and one stinker can really set you back.  So I took Andrew Miller instead of a middling save guy, and then Betances as well.  I can leave those guys and the three closers I have in there all week and they should help mitigate any starter meltdowns.  I wanted Paxton and Strasburg, and I wanted an elite closer.  So I feel pretty good about this staff even though it's likely a middling rotation since I spent more on my hitters. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 2:01 PM, Doctor Detroit said:

Benintendi's value kind of perplexes me. Dynasty rankings are hard to find but Sayre and Cockroft both have him in the top 50 (for keep forever). In the league I took a team over in (16 team, keep 10, no limit to how long you can keep) he's available and I have 1.01 (because the team I took over is a dumpster fire), so he's probably a no brainer there but is the upside that high with him?

54 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Thanks for the help! :mellow:

Missed it earlier but there isn't much for SPARP's this year is there? Duffy obviously but beyond that, taking chances with Bundy, Triggs, Montgomery, Corbin types, I guess :shrug:

12 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Benintendi's value kind of perplexes me. Dynasty rankings are hard to find but Sayre and Cockroft both have him in the top 50 (for keep forever). In the league I took a team over in (16 team, keep 10, no limit to how long you can keep) he's available and I have 1.01 (because the team I took over is a dumpster fire), so he's probably a no brainer there but is the upside that high with him?

I think in general the only question with him is what kind of power he will have.  He has good contact and on-base skills.  I think he's probably gonna be a better real life baseball player, but in average leagues in particular he's going to have some value.  #1 OF upside, no.  #3?  Sure. 

6 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

I have a hard time being convinced his floor is any lower than Victorino. I think my only concern with him is that the first thing I think of is his floor. 

16 hours ago, Dickie Dunn said:

We have a system where any keepers are slotted in the round they were drafted the year before.

My question is, what is the best way to compare the value of potential keepers based on the round they were drafted? For instance, a 1st-round value player who might be a 3rd-round keeper, vs. a 5th-round value player who might be a 12th-round keeper. I have to think it's more complex than simply subtracting their overall rank from the slotted draft spot ... for instance, a 3rd-round slot would be much more valuable than a 12th. Something like the NFL's draft value chart.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions?

I would maybe see if you can find a chart that equates rounds to auction dollar values.

A 1st round value is maybe a $30-$35 player. Normally with a 3rd round pick you'd get a $20 player so that's 10-15 in surplus. 

A 5th round value is maybe an $18 player. Normally with a 12th you'd get a $9 player. So that's $9 in surplus. That kind of thing. 

Is anyone else not entirely sold on Gary Sanchez? I have my first roto and points draft upcoming and in looking over mocks and completed drafts, I am surprised to see him going as the #2 catcher (behind Lucroy) and a few times even as the first catcher selected.

He was terrible in September--which was about when he had made it once around the league--and he was awful against LH. I don't think he is Bob Geren or Rick Cerone, but the comps to Yogi and Thurman seem awfully premature. 

14 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

Is anyone else not entirely sold on Gary Sanchez? I have my first roto and points draft upcoming and in looking over mocks and completed drafts, I am surprised to see him going as the #2 catcher (behind Lucroy) and a few times even as the first catcher selected.

He was terrible in September--which was about when he had made it once around the league--and he was awful against LH. I don't think he is Bob Geren or Rick Cerone, but the comps to Yogi and Thurman seem awfully premature. 

I think he's a damn good bat, but he isn't going to be on any of my teams.  I kinda hope he has a rough year transitioning to a full time major leaguer, so he becomes a consideration next season.

41 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

Catcher is so bad. The dude can MASH. Even if he hits .225 I think you see 30 bombs or pretty close. He'd have to be pretty damn bad to get moved out of the middle of the order, which means pretty good R/RBI. Austin Romine is his backup which means he should get all the PT he can handle. Not sure that justifies taking him over Posey, but what if he's closer to .250 or .260? If, if, if. 

58 minutes ago, jfranco77 said:

Catcher is so bad. The dude can MASH. Even if he hits .225 I think you see 30 bombs or pretty close. He'd have to be pretty damn bad to get moved out of the middle of the order, which means pretty good R/RBI. Austin Romine is his backup which means he should get all the PT he can handle. Not sure that justifies taking him over Posey, but what if he's closer to .250 or .260? If, if, if. 

Thing is, you also just described Yasmani Grandal.

1 hour ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

AL only league (just an assumption since you didn't mention Posey)?

Here's the thing with catchers.  There are so few studs, and if you are able to grab one, you have a big leg up on the competition, especially in deeper and/or 2 catcher leagues.  So many owners are content just waiting on catcher because they figure that if they fill in their other positions first, they can find a serviceable catcher later on in the draft.  Sometimes they are, but more often then not, they are drafting Tyler Flowers late and praying he gets 15 homers in the 400 or so AB's he may get during the year.  Of course the fact he contributes nothing to runs, rbi's, sb's, and is a negative in obp and/or average is just lost on them.

If you draft Sanchez, you have to figure he is going to be only a handful of catchers that gets 500 or so ab's and if he is on, 25-30 homers with pluses in rbi's, and probably ave maybe obp that will be a significant advantage over almost every other catcher in the league.

Only 7 catchers hit 20+ homers in the majors last year and Sanchez did it in 1/2 the ab's of everyone else.

Of these 7, only 3 hit over .250 - Lucroy at 290, Sanchez at 299 and Ramos at 307

Even a dummy like me can extrapolate that over the course of a full season and see Sanchez can offer extreme value at the catcher position.  Do I think he' hit 40 homers with 110 rbis and bat 300 again?  No.  But even a reasonable expectation shy of injury should put him firmly at 25+ homers, .275 average with 80+ rbi potential.  Only other guys I can think of that I'd safely assume touch any of these would be Posey and Lucroy

eta - I have done 7 leagues so far and I don't have Sanchez in any of them.  They are all 2 catcher leagues, and I always draft strong catchers (or at least what i perceive to be strong catchers).  Sanchez is getting scooped up much too early in every draft, he is almost always the 1st or 2nd catcher off the board.  I am content to fill my catcher position with Posey, Perez, Vogt, Realmuto and take the occasional flyers on guys like Tom Murphy, Wellington Castillo real late.  

Edited by guru_007

2 hours ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

I haven't seen any mocks with catchers going in this order. I am always seeing Posey go first, followed by Sanchez, with either Lucroy or Schwarber going 3rd. 

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

Thing is, you also just described Yasmani Grandal.

A healthy version of Grandal, with a worse backup and in a better hitters park, yes.

43 minutes ago, jfranco77 said:

A healthy version of Grandal, with a worse backup and in a better hitters park, yes.

Sure, but he's also 100 picks cheaper.

It's never this simple, but to put some names to it I'd rather have Matt Carpenter and Grandal than Sanchez and Brandon Belt.

I don't even particularly want Grandal either, just his profile fit your description most among those in that tier of catchers.

I've been trying to trade my Sanchez for Schwarber straight up in Yahoo!  Schwarber will be far and away the most productive C in fantasy if he qualifys in your league. 

8 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

I have a hard time being convinced his floor is any lower than Victorino. I think my only concern with him is that the first thing I think of is his floor. 

Ya but the floor of anybody in Boston is they find a $150m player better than you and give your job away. 

In a H2H points league heavily weighted to K's and QS's......who do you prefer?  Darvish or Lester?

22 minutes ago, Gally said:

In a H2H points league heavily weighted to K's and QS's......who do you prefer?  Darvish or Lester?

Probably about even. Lester for QS / Darvish more Ks.

Between pitching in NL and Darvish's recent injury history, I'd side with Lester.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Limp Ditka said:

Probably about even. Lester for QS / Darvish more Ks.

Between pitching in NL and Darvish's recent injury history, I'd side with Lester.

I ended up getting both in the auction.   I hope Darvish stays healthy

• Like 1

Need some keeper help, 12 team roto pick two SP:

Archer

J Quintana

Carasco

Carlos Martinez

Teheran

Duffy

Leaning Archer, struggling with second.

Also need to keep one of these bats:

Odor

Polanco

K Seager

Leaning Polanco...

eta: other keeper bats are Goldy, Marte, JD Martinez

Edited by Nigel

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Archer

J Quintana

Carasco

Carlos Martinez

Teheran

Duffy

Odor

Polanco

K Seager

Leaning Polanco...

I would probably take Carrasco and Archer with Martinez and Duffy close behind.  I would prefer Odor ahead of Polanco.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Archer

J Quintana

Carasco

Carlos Martinez

Teheran

Duffy

Odor

Polanco

K Seager

Leaning Polanco...

Archer for sure, then check Carrasco's health.  If he seems healthy, he's the obvious pick. If it looks like he'll miss time, Quintana. 

For the other, it's definitely Polanco for me but I'm admittedly very high on him this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Archer

J Quintana

Carasco

Carlos Martinez

Teheran

Duffy

Odor

Polanco

K Seager

Leaning Polanco...

As a Tigers fan I hate writing this, but until we know more I'd keep Odor and Polanco then send JD back to the pool.

If you're already sold on Archer then I won't try to talk you off of it, but the other would definitely be Martinez for me.  If you have time to wait out Carrasco's health status then I may prefer him to Archer, but you probably need to decide within the next few days.  As a value I like Duffy more than Archer, but this isn't value talk.  

• Like 1