Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
The Ref

Now the 2018 Assistant Coach Thread

On 3/20/2017 at 10:24 PM, Doctor Detroit said:

Thanks for the help! :mellow:

Just finished.  So this is a 10 team with R/H/1B/2B/3B/HR/RBI/K/AVG/SB and IP/R/H/ER/HR/BB/K/ERA/WHIP/SV

So again, starting pitching is worth more in a league like this than in almost any other format.  I lucked out and got the first pick, here is the team.

C Sal Perez

1B Chris Davis

2B Roughned Odor

SS Corey Seager

3B Alex Bregman

OF Mike Trout

OF Gregory Polanco

OF Dexter Fowler

UT Miguel Sano

UT Aledmys Diaz

UT Jarrod Dyson

BN Nomar Mazara

BN Travis Shaw

BN J Schoop

BN Michael Brantley

Getting Trout and then Seager was great, there were six starters taken in the first 19 picks so Seager fell and I took Kluber in the 3rd.  I have some good power and speed but made sure to get low K guys like Diaz, Dyson, and hopefully Brantley to balance out Chris Davis and Sano.  I got Dyson in the 24th and he's nice for 3B and SB and low K's so I liked getting him there.  Polanco fell too far, nice to have him also. Overall I like the balance but I do have some bust potential guys in there

---------------------------

SP Corey Kluber

SP Stephen Strasburg

RP Zach Britton

RP Adam Ottovino

RP Ryan Madsen

P Andrew Miller

P Delin Betances

P Gerrit Cole

BN Marco Estrada

BN James Paxton

This is not a great pitching staff for this league, but I think Cole is a #2 starter so that might help.  You need five starts a week minimum most weeks and one stinker can really set you back.  So I took Andrew Miller instead of a middling save guy, and then Betances as well.  I can leave those guys and the three closers I have in there all week and they should help mitigate any starter meltdowns.  I wanted Paxton and Strasburg, and I wanted an elite closer.  So I feel pretty good about this staff even though it's likely a middling rotation since I spent more on my hitters. 

Sorry about not getting advise pre-draft to you, GB.  Looks like you didn't need it.  Offense is studly.  Kluber and Stras are great anchors for the pitching staff.  I like the strategy to roster Miller/Betances instead of JAG closers especially in this format.  They should help you every week in almost every category.  Both will likely end up with around 10 saves on the year too.  SPs are super valuable in this type of league, but they're also the easiest to improve on the waiver wire in a 10 teamer.

Is this daily or weekly moves?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodg12 said:

Sorry about not getting advise pre-draft to you, GB.  Looks like you didn't need it.  Offense is studly.  Kluber and Stras are great anchors for the pitching staff.  I like the strategy to roster Miller/Betances instead of JAG closers especially in this format.  They should help you every week in almost every category.  Both will likely end up with around 10 saves on the year too.  SPs are super valuable in this type of league, but they're also the easiest to improve on the waiver wire in a 10 teamer.

Is this daily or weekly moves?

Weekly but if you had a pitcher with two scheduled starts and he gets bumped back or there is a rainout, you can grab someone to fill in.  Most teams have seven starting pitchers rostered and I probably need to add a sixth for those first couple weeks.  If you don't reach the 35 minimum innings you take a zero for ten in the pitching cats.  I also added Koda Glover yesterday.

1 hour ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Weekly but if you had a pitcher with two scheduled starts and he gets bumped back or there is a rainout, you can grab someone to fill in.  Most teams have seven starting pitchers rostered and I probably need to add a sixth for those first couple weeks.  If you don't reach the 35 minimum innings you take a zero for ten in the pitching cats.  I also added Koda Glover yesterday.

Like the Glover add.  Still kicking myself I didn't hold onto him in Serious Biz.  Got too antsy. <_< 

7 minutes ago, Limp Ditka said:

Are there still mumbles about not hitting Eaton 2nd?

Yeah I think he's gonna hit 6th or 7th. 

6 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Yeah I think he's gonna hit 6th or 7th. 

:dustydice:

12 team 23 keepers, 5X5 with OBP

I have a contending team but am weak as hell at 3B waiting for Gallo and Moncada to get at bats. Whoever I keep will be my starter...

Keep one of the following:

Eguenio Suarez

Jose Reyes

Stradivarius Solarte

FWIW I have plenty of steals with Gordon, Betts, and Blackmon.  I would have won this league had I finished even middle of the pack in OBP last year. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Detroit said:

12 team 23 keepers, 5X5 with OBP

I have a contending team but am weak as hell at 3B waiting for Gallo and Moncada to get at bats. Whoever I keep will be my starter...

Keep one of the following:

Eguenio Suarez

Jose Reyes

Stradivarius Solarte

FWIW I have plenty of steals with Gordon, Betts, and Blackmon.  I would have won this league had I finished even middle of the pack in OBP last year. 

Solarte

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riversco said:

i want to add OF depth for my bench.   michael brantley or hunter pence?

Brantley

1 hour ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

A late round flyer on a starting pitcher: Brett Anderson or Michael Wacha? 

Wacha Wacha

On 3/19/2017 at 10:20 AM, mlbnfl said:

Pretty standard auction league 260 cap C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, n/a, n/a

Machado 24

correa 15

C Seager 15

Gary Sanchez 10

Verlander 13

Hey guys thanks to those who helped me out I decided on these five keepers. Have the auction tomorrow and was wondering thoughts on grabbing Trout and Goldy or Rizzo early on. Obviously going into an auction "having" to grab specific guys is never a good strategy but was wondering thoughts on if I was looking at spending 60 on Trout and 45-50 on first base if that might be a viable option or would that just not leave me enough left over? I like a lot of cheaper OF options plus that always seems to be the easiest spot to fill through FA. I guess the players themselves don't matter as much as is grabbing two top tier guys at premium price a legit option or would that just handcuff me too much the rest of the way?

In that format I would be going studs and scrubs, so I would consider paying whatever it takes to get Trout and whichever of the other two is put up first. Especially given your starting point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlbnfl said:

Well Trout got kept at 63 so that throws a wrench in that. A lot of the top OF kept.

Of the top 70 players on razzball here are the hitters that werent kept.

1b - Rizzo, Goldshmidt, Encarnacion, Hanley, Abreu, Carlos Santana, Hosmer, Frazier

2b - Odor, Kinsler

3b - Kyle Seager, Rendon, Justin Turner, Longo, Beltre, Frazier again

ss - None

Of - Giancarlo, Marte, Cruz, Braun, plus well throw in Desmond who they had higher preinjury. From 71-76 overall razzball has Yelich, Bradley Jr, Kepler, Cargo, Kemp and Adam Jones, all of whom are available but obviously not high end like I was hoping with Trout.

Not a ton available at two positions of need in OF and 2B. I guess I can replace Trout in my plans with one of these guys are hopefully a lower price but with so few OFs available I dont want to end up paying the same price. This makes me want to go pretty hard after Odor but the only downside is the league is obp and not avg and his obp hasnt been great but I imagine he should make up for it elsewhere.

Edited by mlbnfl

Certainly changes things. I wouldn't be aggressive with Odor, I think he's much less valuable in obp. I think you can be more selective with the top 1b/3b, filling your U with one of them. 

Try to get 3 of up to Bradley then plan to go cheaper with 2b, but if you only get 2 of with your budget then go cheap with of3 too.

What do you think would be a fair price for Odor without going overboard? And when you say three of up to Bradley you mean three of those guys ranked 71-76? Versus getting one of the Stanton level guys and cheaper ones?

55 minutes ago, mlbnfl said:

What do you think would be a fair price for Odor without going overboard? And when you say three of up to Bradley you mean three of those guys ranked 71-76? Versus getting one of the Stanton level guys and cheaper ones?

After a bit of research I'm ok not getting Odor just gotta decide on OF targets.

2 hours ago, mlbnfl said:

Sorry, ALL of the guys up to Bradley, including those in the Stanton tier. 

The thing with getting Odor is if you do get him then you're limiting yourself when you get to the single digit value guys. Guys like Grichuk and Duvall aren't options. You almost have to identify your OF3/U2/priority bench targets ahead of time and ensure they have at least average obp's. Not saying that's wrong, just saying I think that's what you have to do if you want Odor. I kept him in a 7x7 with obp and even though I have him at a good price I found it frustrating as I needed to pass on some good values because they would have sunk my obp.

If I were to price him out it'd be a on par with Bradley, but at that price I doubt I'd get him.

How comfortable would any of you be with Greg Bird as your starting 1b?  I've been kicking the idea around.  I'm not sure at this point he'd be a bargain, so probably not happening. 

Keep five in a CBS points league ... with round number protected in parentheses:

C. Santana (8)

A. Benintendi (15)

V. Velasquez (18)

J. Taillon (19)

A. Sanchez (20)

T. Story (21)

T. Bauer (22)

J. Urias (25)

Currently leaning the top six minus Taillon.

8 minutes ago, Dickie Dunn said:

Keep five in a CBS points league ... with round number protected in parentheses:

C. Santana (8)

A. Benintendi (15)

A. Sanchez (20)

T. Story (21)

J. Urias (25)

This would be me.

Thanks. I have Velasquez about 50-some spots higher on my overall list, but Urias would be a much better value seven rounds later (16-team league, so difference of 115 draft spots in a snake draft).

Also, I assume we don't see Moncada until mid-May now that he's been sent down? He is a 25 as well (but I can only keep players for this season, they go back into the pool next year).

Sorry for cloggin the thread lately but just wrapped up the auction and would love to hear thoughts. Overall I feel pretty happy, granted its a ten team league so all teams should be relatively good plus the league hasnt seemed to be full of pros for its first two years but anyways...

C - Gary Sanchez (Keeper)

1b - Goldshmidt

2b - Kinsler

3b - Machado (Kept)

SS - Corra (Kept)

OF - Nelson Cruz

OF - Jackie Bradley

OF - Keon Broxton

Util - Corey Seager (Kept)

Util - Michael Brantley/Odubel Herrera

Bench - David Dahl whenever hes healthy

n/a - Austin Meadows

SP: Verlander (kept), Archer, Hamels, Duffy, Salazar, McCullers, Velasquez

RP: Hwan Oh, Dyson, Neftali Feliz, Raisel Iglesias, Greg Holland

1 hour ago, Dickie Dunn said:

Also, I assume we don't see Moncada until mid-May now that he's been sent down? He is a 25 as well (but I can only keep players for this season, they go back into the pool next year).

I'd probably keep him over Urias. Even if it's late May once he gets the call he'll be playing every day. 

Just now, mlbnfl said:

Sorry for cloggin the thread lately but just wrapped up the auction and would love to hear thoughts. Overall I feel pretty happy, granted its a ten team league so all teams should be relatively good plus the league hasnt seemed to be full of pros for its first two years but anyways...

C - Gary Sanchez (Keeper)

1b - Goldshmidt

2b - Kinsler

3b - Machado (Kept)

SS - Corra (Kept)

OF - Nelson Cruz

OF - Jackie Bradley

OF - Keon Broxton

Util - Corey Seager (Kept)

Util - Michael Brantley/Odubel Herrera

Bench - David Dahl whenever hes healthy

n/a - Austin Meadows

SP: Verlander (kept), Archer, Hamels, Duffy, Salazar, McCullers, Velasquez

RP: Hwan Oh, Dyson, Neftali Feliz, Raisel Iglesias, Greg Holland

Looks like a contender :thumbup: 

Thoughts on my draft? 10 team league

Start only 1 utility.  I pretty much punted steals.

G. Sanchez

Encarnarcion

DJ lemaheiu

A. Diaz

K. Bryant

Cespedes

Contreras

M. Holliday

Pujols

Bench: Baez, granderson, gyorko

Sp: scherzer, Lester, Cole, odorizzi, Happ, Estrada, Moore

Rp: Chapman, kimbrel, Miller, Watson, feliz

Edited by need2know

8 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I'd probably keep him over Urias. Even if it's late May once he gets the call he'll be playing every day. 

Same.

11 hours ago, Dickie Dunn said:

Thanks. I have Velasquez about 50-some spots higher on my overall list, but Urias would be a much better value seven rounds later (16-team league, so difference of 115 draft spots in a snake draft).

That looks right to me, but I'm operating under the assumption you can keep Urias after 2017 as well?  He's a potential true ace sooner than later. 

On 3/3/2017 at 2:27 PM, Northern Voice said:

OK, this league I joined is a 16 team head to head points keep-10 league with a starting lineup of C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, OF, OF, OF, UT - SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP and 14 bench spots.

The points system is a bit wacky too but not even worrying about this, how would you adjust for starting only 48 SP's and having to start 48 RP's (saves are worth 4, holds 3).  Devalues both SP and RP a fair bit, right? Both SP and RP in the 30-50 range are pretty interchangeable IMO.

So in this league, my ten keepers are CSantana, Cano, Longoria, JRamirez, Semien, Ellsbury, Fowler, Kershaw, Price, TWalker. Not great but my only real options given the team I inherited (next best options were Cervelli, Markakis). I have pick 1.01 in the draft but it's a serpentine, so from there I don't pick again until 2.16.

The best position player for this season and for the long term is Benintendi, after him some of the top guys are Andrus, Kiermaier, Pederson, Bird, etc... I've assumed all along I would take Benintendi 1.01 and no position players left unprotected change that.

For pitchers though Danny Duffy and his RP eligibility was not protected. He probably gets 100-150 more fantasy points than a guy like Kimbrel (also available) would provide. With 3 RP required, this is a pretty massive advantage to have...

Am I right in thinking that for this season Duffy is probably the #1 pick? But given my keepers above, I may still be better taking Benintendi, if I'm not going to win this year anyway (duffy will only have the RP option this year). Then again, the fact hat Benintendi wasn't even rostered in a 16 team league with 29 man rosters makes me think maybe no one in this league knows what they're doing and I should just go all out and try to win this year, even though my core keepers are not that hot.

Edited by Northern Voice

3 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

So in this league, my ten keepers are CSantana, Cano, Longoria, JRamirez, Semien, Ellsbury, Fowler, Kershaw, Price, TWalker. Not great but my only real options given the team I inherited (next best options were Cervelli, Markakis). I have pick 1.01 in the draft but it's a serpentine, so from there I don't pick again until 2.16.

The best position player for this season and for the long term is Benintendi, after him some of the top guys are Andrus, Kiermaier, Pederson, Bird, etc... I've assumed all along I would take Benintendi 1.01 and no position players left unprotected change that.

For pitchers though Danny Duffy and his RP eligibility was not protected. He probably gets 100-150 more fantasy points than a guy like Kimbrel (also available) would provide. With 3 RP required, this is a pretty massive advantage to have...

Am I right in thinking that for this season Duffy is probably the #1 pick? But given my keepers above, I may still be better taking Benintendi, if I'm not going to win this year anyway (duffy will only have the RP option this year). Then again, the fact hat Benintendi wasn't even rostered in a 16 team league with 29 man rosters makes me think maybe no one in this league knows what they're doing and I should just go all out and try to win this year, even though my core keepers are not that hot.

I'd take Benitendi. I don't see your roster as one that can win this year anyway, so Im not worrying about Duffy. By the time you can contend, he won't have RP eligibility. 

Besides that, if you take Benitendi you can trade for a pitcher currently better than Duffy very easily at any point.  I get the whole RP eligible thing, but I wouldn't overstate that unless the scoring system is just insane. 

• Like 1

5x5obp 12 team

i really want Schwarber who is C eligible in my league. I offered Stanton and Gary Sanchez for Schwarber and Braun. 

Is that too much?

Current starting O

C- Sanchez

1B- C Santana

2B LaMehieu

3B- Beltre

SS- E Nunez

OF- Trout, Stanton, Cruz, Jankowski

UT- Tulo, V Martinez

Edited by Annyong
Because I farted in my car before getting out and could still smell it when I came back

4 minutes ago, Annyong said:

5x5obp 12 team

i really want Schwarber who is C eligible in my league. I offered Stanton and Gary Sanchez for Schwarber and Braun. 

Is that too much?

Probably ok I guess. I don't really get the Schwarber love, but I also don't care for Stanton this year. 

2 hours ago, Annyong said:

5x5obp 12 team

Is that too much?

Current starting O

C- Sanchez

1B- C Santana

2B LaMehieu

3B- Beltre

SS- E Nunez

UT- Tulo, V Martinez

What kind of rule allows Schwarber to still be C-eligible?

10 hours ago, Dickie Dunn said:

What kind of rule allows Schwarber to still be C-eligible?

Yahoo says (I think) that players who didn't play 15 or 20 games at any position in 2016 revert to their 2015 season for eligibility. 

I think all 4 of those players are pretty similar. If you really want Schwarber than go for it. Personally I'd take Braun over Stanton and in a vacuum I think I take Schwarber over Sanchez if they are both catchers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Annyong said:

5x5obp 12 team

Is that too much?

Current starting O

C- Sanchez

1B- C Santana

2B LaMehieu

3B- Beltre

SS- E Nunez

UT- Tulo, V Martinez

I like Schwarbs more than anybody, but Sanchez is pretty nice.  Depends on how much you like Stanton vs Braun, I wouldn't give up too much of a trade off there.

13 hours ago, Annyong said:

5x5obp 12 team

Is that too much?

Look, you are going to overpay for a player you like almost regardless of the time of year, but in particular before the season starts.  Hope springs eternal for every owner before the season starts, and if someone else has him rostered, he probably has some pretty high expectations of the player himself.

In my eyes, trading before the season starts is probably the worst time of year to make an offer, in particular when you are offering a like for like trade (catcher + OF for catcher + OF).  But, if you really want Schwarber, you are going to overpay for him now, so you may as well go for it and get the player you really want.

The real question you should be asking is why you really want him not if you are offering too much.

With the shortage of third basemen this year, i find myself vacuuming up all the thrd basemen with a pulse in the draft, expecting at some point that someone will get desperate enough at the position to overpay me in a trade.  My most recent draft i got justin turner, castellanos and travis shaw.  There are teams out there with nothing at 3b haha. 

If shaw has a hot april im shipping him out. 

Edited by Riversco

1 minute ago, Riversco said:

With the shortage of third basemen this year, i find myself vacuuming up all the thrd basemen with a pulse in the draft, expecting at some point that someone will get desperate enough at the position to overpay me in a trade.  My most recent draft i got justin turner, castellanos and travis shaw.  There are teams out there with nothing at 3b haha. 

I think 3B is as deep as I can remember :-/

7 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I think 3B is as deep as I can remember :-/

healy, jose ramirez, maikel franco and sano are all starting 3b in this league with nothing behind them.  Any of them could get sent to the minors or have a very slow april. 

4 minutes ago, Riversco said:

healy, jose ramirez, maikel franco and sano are all starting 3b in this league with nothing behind them.  Any of them could get sent to the minors or have a very slow april. 

If Healy is sent down then Chapman becomes interesting.  If Ramirez does then Yandy is probably in, although I think the leash is very long here.  I think it'd take an extended bad streak for either Franco or Sano to go down/lose playing time.  Both are on teams not looking to compete this year and they have track records, so they will be more patient.  Healy's in a similar boat, but with less of a track record.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Riversco said:

Can't see these guys getting sent down... Maybe Healy, but...