What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Now the 2018 Assistant Coach Thread (2 Viewers)

Not sure if this is the place, but was looking for some comments on my team. 10-team auction AL-only w/keepers (6x, In Bold), weekly scoring, standard 5x5:

C: Wilson Ramos

C: Sandy Leon

1B: Danny Valencia

2B: Jose Altuve

SS: Xander Bogaerts

3B: Adrian Beltre

CI: Luis Valbuena

MI: Ian Kinsler

OF: Mookie Betts

OF: Andrew Benintendi

OF: Adam Jones

OF: Teoscar Hernandez

OF: Ryan Rua

U: Nelson Cruz

P: Shoehi Ohtani

P: Masahiro Tanaka

P: Dylan Bundy

P: JA Happ

P: Jaime Garcia

P: Andrew Cashner

P: Mike Leake

P: Colin McHugh

P: Matt Moore

Bench TBD on Saturday 6x from WW pool. 

Encyclopedia Brown said:
There is no one exact path to winning. As I said, I start the season with Kershaw/Scherzer/Sale/Thor/Kluber and try to maximize production and salary with batters.

You have dead weight at catcher. Gary Sanchez seems to be a no-brainer. I think Goldschmidt and Dozier are overpriced, and if you cut salary there, maybe you could fit in Sanchez and/or Contreras and Castillo. 
I tweaked the roster a tad.  Thanks for the input.  Not too much different, but beefed up the Cs and went super young at 2B with Albies and Moncada with Kingery on the bench.  

Encyclopedia Brown said:
I do, both Roto/Points for Fantrax, as well as CDM.

I've always loaded up on high salaried established pitchers, and then picked up lower salaried pitchers as they emerge. It's more difficult to predict which pitchers will breakout than hitters.

Initially, I thought this year would be good for fitting in high salaried batters because of low salaried players who would almost certainly overperform their salary: Bird, Candelario, McMahon, Albies. With Bird out and McMahon headed to Triple A, I have had to adjust. 

Acuna should be up in about a month, and his low salary will clear up space. 
The 2 hitter spots I'm struggling with most are Buxton at 840, who I love but is supposed to hit 8th. I need his wheels and like the breakout potential. I've also got Altuve in my lineup and he's massively expensive at 1660 but I need his AVG. I could replace those two with Moncada 770 and one of Betts 1500 or Blackmon 1620 and it would even be a little cheaper. I agree, the cheap hitters aren't as interesting this year outside of Albies.

Not sure if this is the place, but was looking for some comments on my team. 10-team auction AL-only w/keepers (6x, In Bold), weekly scoring, standard 5x5:

C: Wilson Ramos

C: Sandy Leon

1B: Danny Valencia

2B: Jose Altuve

SS: Xander Bogaerts

3B: Adrian Beltre

CI: Luis Valbuena

MI: Ian Kinsler

OF: Mookie Betts

OF: Andrew Benintendi

OF: Adam Jones

OF: Teoscar Hernandez

OF: Ryan Rua

U: Nelson Cruz

P: Shoehi Ohtani

P: Masahiro Tanaka

P: Dylan Bundy

P: JA Happ

P: Jaime Garcia

P: Andrew Cashner

P: Mike Leake

P: Colin McHugh

P: Matt Moore

Bench TBD on Saturday 6x from WW pool. 
I have to say, even for AL only there are some big holes here. I would get some safe RPs pronto before Moore and Cashner destroy your ratios. That Valencia/Rua/Valbuena trio will get you way behind in R/RBI even if you're OK in homers and AVG/SB because of all your elite bats. That seems like too many categories to be at risk for losing every week. If you traded one of your SPs for another good bat, would that give you enough offense to punt ratios and saves every week? 

I've just completed my last draft last night.  I had a good long post written about my observations but cleared it out of my editor, so instead I'll give a brief rundown of my observations in the event any of this may assist on upcoming drafts. I generally do 5-15 leagues per year (no mock, something has to be on the line in order for me to participate) and I only do roto, 5x5 leagues (no head to head).

that being said......

Steals are seemingly at a premium.  Dee Gordon routinely is being drafted very early (I have one share of him only in an early league I think i got him late 3rd or early 4th).  Billy Hamilton is always drafted 3-5 rounds earlier than I would ever consider.  DeShields Jr too.  Turner has been in the top 5 picks in every draft I've done except one I think.  It seems that there are very few guys that are rosterable steal threats unless you feel like having a black hole of Mallex Smith on your team or a guy like Rajah Davis in the past, can steal you 3-4 bases one week, and the next you're lucky if you get 10 AB's.  If you don't draft steals, going to be hard to pick them up later on I think.  My thoughts have been taking a chance on MI guys - guys like Moncada or Albies you seem to be able to pickup pretty cheap/late and hope like hell they don't start off slow.  I'd rather take a chance there than an OF'er who I can fill in with a 25 hr guy.  I've also taken shots late on the likes of the aforementioned Smith or Bradley Zimmer and hope again they are able to show some aptitude to getting on base.  

It also seems to me that SP's are going off the board WAY WAY WAY earlier than in years past.  It used to be the only SP you'd consider in the 1st round was Kershaw.  And maybe there were 2-3 SP's that would go in the second round.  Nowadays I'm seeing 10-12 SP routinely in the top 35-40 spots.  My thoughts have been if I can get a top 3 pitcher in the 2nd round I go for it.  If I can't, I will wait.  I see guys (in my eyes) reaching for starters like Ray, Severino, Greinke in the 3rd/4th round after missing out on a top 5-10 sp.  I'll take offense and fill in later if I miss on SP.  I'm also not opposed to grabbing a top closer before a SP if needed.  Every draft is obviously different, but I've seen a bit of a dead spot in the 6-10th round where you can get decent starters that have fallen way out of favor but should produce okay (guys like Lester, take a chance on Price, or Arrieta).  One guy that I have zero shares of and I swear is going about 100 picks higher than I have him slotted in EVERY draft is Zack Godley.  I must be missing something here, so if I am, shame on me.  But he's going higher than dozens of pitchers I have ranked higher routinely.  Dunno.  And no one seems to like Rich Hill.  I know he's old, but i have him in a number of leagues,at some point the value is just exceedingly glaring.

RPs I am the guy that always grabs them earlier than others.  I may not get Jansen or Kimbrel, but I'm taking a stud closer earlier rather than later in every draft, and more so this year.  It seems to me that there are only about 10 guys with very firm grips on their jobs, and of those only 4-5 on teams that are any good.  I want one of those guys for sure.  I can then grab decent relievers later on, or a good reliever on a bad team later on to fill in saves and of course grab a handcuff to a guy with no job security.  I don't want to be the owner that come June 1st has 3 relievers, two of which has already lost their job, and the other is Fernando Rodney.  Yes, there will probably be guys on the waive wire that can be had that will garner some saves, but you'll have to fight with 2-3 other owners in similar predicaments to get those.  This, of course, is just my particular strategy, but I do feel that RP is a position that is going to be tougher this year than in years past.  More closer by committee, situational saves, marginal guys getting rest, etc....I don't want to clog my roster with 5+ relief pitchers to chase after saves.  And obviously the marginal guys i am pluckign at in later rounds have good k/ratios.  Boxburger is seemingly a decent bargain now and I also like Vizcaino in the ATL.  of course either could be out a job in June, but this is March and this is my 3rd or 4th RP option.

Last quick thought (if you consider this rambling quick or even worthwhile) is on Catcher.  Years past, especially in 2 catcher leagues, I was grabbing a guy like Posey in the 4th or 5th round.  I would also grab a Sal Perez in the 11th - 12th round, I'd want two quality catchers that would get me 500-550 AB's as I always pictured that as advantage over other owners that had at least one, usually 2 crappy catchers that struggled to reach 850-900 AB's between the two.  They may get a McCann with 25 hr's, but the average was a huge detriment, and in the extra 150-200 Ab's I would get, I'd do better in the other counting stats such as RBIs and Runs.  Well, this year, I've totally #### canned this style of draft. If Gary Sanchez falls to me, I'll grab him, but at this point, I see very little difference between catcher 3 and catcher 15, so I'm waiting very deep for this position. Yeah, on paper it looks a #### house, but I think this will be beneficial more so this year then in years past because of the dearth of talent, as well as the more seemingly parity I've noticed.  Who knows.

If anyone wants I'll rattle off some more inane babble as I think of it.

I have to say, even for AL only there are some big holes here. I would get some safe RPs pronto before Moore and Cashner destroy your ratios. That Valencia/Rua/Valbuena trio will get you way behind in R/RBI even if you're OK in homers and AVG/SB because of all your elite bats. That seems like too many categories to be at risk for losing every week. If you traded one of your SPs for another good bat, would that give you enough offense to punt ratios and saves every week? 
Thanks a lot for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'll give trading a SP a spin and see where that lands me.

@guru_007 my approach/observations have been fairly similar as yours.  It's going to depend on the leeg, but get your bare minimum closers before the bottom falls out, prop up bats with higher avg/obp and will sprinkle in some steals, and don't force the issue with starters and SB guys.  The cheaper starters I like seem to be more expensive now than they were a few weeks ago, but I think you can still build a competitive staff later - or at least a starting point.  And yes, there seems to be a limited supply of SB threats, but I interpret that as needing less to compete for the upper-middle of-the-pack.  And if you're focusing on power threats while others are picking up the speed guys then you're starting off ahead in HR/RBI vs. at least some of your competition.  Then if you end up with 2015 Billy Burns, 2016 Hernan Perez, or 2017 Whit Merrifield you're in a position to make up the difference anyway.

Like every year though - lots of different approaches that can work.  Probably most importantly is self eval - what are your strengths in season?  Build your team with that in mind.

I had my 10-team 6x6 head-to-head Yahoo last night. If I'm not in an advantageous draft position (I was 9th ... should have won it last year :angry:  ), my approach in the past has been to punt SV (at least when it comes to the top closers) and try to grab some off the waiver wire. Since it's head-to-head, I usually can afford to gamble on losing SV most weeks for the slight upticks I can gain in other categories.

I don't consciously look to punt SB, but it kind of happened last night and that's another category that seems like too much of a crapshoot for me in this format. I targeted both Merrifield and Pollock in the mid-point of the draft and they went the pick before me both times. So it goes.

Here's how it turned out:

C: Perez

1B: C. Santana

2B: Odor

SS: Correa (keeper)

3B: Donaldson (was my first pick at No. 9)

OF: Harper (keeper), Hoskins, D. Santana

UT: Gallo

BN: Kingery

SP: Scherzer (keeper), Archer, Greinke, Paxton, Quintana, G. Richards, Fulmer, Wacha, Samardzija (DL)

RP: Bradley, Melancon

Obviously even though streaming SP is big with daily lineups, I like to load up with reliable starters. It's worked well for me in the past. So with a short bench, position flexibility is another thing I try to focus on. I don't necessarily reach, but guys like Hoskins and Gallo give me some ability to mix and match, particularly once it is figured out where Kingery is going to end up playing (M. Gonzalez went before I could grab him). With Gallo, AVG is another category that is going to be an issue for me this season ... we'll see how that goes.

As far as RP ... Ziegler, Soria and Gregerson still are on the wire. Likely will pick one of them up when I put Samardzija on the DL.

I feel good in the power and average categories, and I know I should be strong in most of the pitching categories.

Thoughts?

Thoughts on a catcher to pick up with Realmuto sidelined?  Alfaro, Grandal, Barnes, Iannetta, Hedges, Chirinos among those available.

I picked up Alfaro as a placeholder, but can drop him for somebody else.  

I had my 10-team 6x6 head-to-head Yahoo last night. If I'm not in an advantageous draft position (I was 9th ... should have won it last year :angry:  ), my approach in the past has been to punt SV (at least when it comes to the top closers) and try to grab some off the waiver wire. Since it's head-to-head, I usually can afford to gamble on losing SV most weeks for the slight upticks I can gain in other categories.

I don't consciously look to punt SB, but it kind of happened last night and that's another category that seems like too much of a crapshoot for me in this format. I targeted both Merrifield and Pollock in the mid-point of the draft and they went the pick before me both times. So it goes.

Here's how it turned out:

C: Perez

1B: C. Santana

2B: Odor

SS: Correa (keeper)

3B: Donaldson (was my first pick at No. 9)

OF: Harper (keeper), Hoskins, D. Santana

UT: Gallo

BN: Kingery

SP: Scherzer (keeper), Archer, Greinke, Paxton, Quintana, G. Richards, Fulmer, Wacha, Samardzija (DL)

RP: Bradley, Melancon

Obviously even though streaming SP is big with daily lineups, I like to load up with reliable starters. It's worked well for me in the past. So with a short bench, position flexibility is another thing I try to focus on. I don't necessarily reach, but guys like Hoskins and Gallo give me some ability to mix and match, particularly once it is figured out where Kingery is going to end up playing (M. Gonzalez went before I could grab him). With Gallo, AVG is another category that is going to be an issue for me this season ... we'll see how that goes.

As far as RP ... Ziegler, Soria and Gregerson still are on the wire. Likely will pick one of them up when I put Samardzija on the DL.

I feel good in the power and average categories, and I know I should be strong in most of the pitching categories.

Thoughts?
What are the 6th categories? I would try to trade Bradley for someone who is RP eligible but actually starts. Embrace the saves punt. Same with speed - cash in on Kingery's hype and deal him for a boring Justin Smoak type if you can. 

Thoughts on a catcher to pick up with Realmuto sidelined?  Alfaro, Grandal, Barnes, Iannetta, Hedges, Chirinos among those available.

I picked up Alfaro as a placeholder, but can drop him for somebody else.  
Who's got an easy schedule? They all seem about the same. I know COL is on the road. LAD is facing all the bad Giants pitchers. 

The 2 hitter spots I'm struggling with most are Buxton at 840, who I love but is supposed to hit 8th. I need his wheels and like the breakout potential. 
Lewis Brinson at 500, and batting leadoff for Miami. His BA could be a deal killer, but I think he could be in the .250-260 range, and deliver somewhat close to what Buxton will do. 

Who wants to rate my team ?  Haven't played fantasy baseball in a decade, have no f@#$ing idea what I'm doing.  Haven't even watched a ton of baseball the last two years.  Here's what I ended up with (12 teams, 5x5 head-to-head, I had pick #7) :

C- Y. Molina

1B - F. Freeman (also 3B eligible)

2B - J. Altuve

SS - T. Story

3B - E. Longoria (not Eva)

OF - G. Springer, N. Cruz, A. Benintendi

Util - Michael Taylor, Eric Hosmer (may play him at 1st and Freeman at third and bench Longoria)

BN - Ronald Acuna, O. Albies, D. Swanson, M. Brantley (I have so many Braves.  I'm a Braves fan, but I only drafted Acuna and Freeman, the other two were given to me randomly by autodraft - I had to bail after round 12 or so.)

SP - C. Archer, G. Cole, J. Lester, M. Stroman, D. Bundy, K. Gausman, J. Samardizja

RP -D. Betances, L. Gregerson, D. Robertson

Last place, right?

EG72, offense good, pitching bad.  Hopefully you can trade in this league.  Pretty sure you're going to get smoked in all the ratios and saves each week.  Should have decent ks and a shot at some wins.  Probably going to need some more steals/runs too.

(note, I suck at H2H, so you'll probably win the damn league)

I will even name 6 guys:

Sanchez

Contreras

Wilson Ramos

Realmuto

Yadier

Salvador Perez
Let's go ahead and take Sal out of the equation.

Royals C Salvador Perez will be out 4-6 weeks after tearing his MCL in a fall while carrying his luggage.

What a brutal and unfortunate way to start the year for Perez and the Royals. Perez apparently was handling his own bags, and slipped and tore the MCL. It leaves Kansas City without one of their most consistent offensive hitters for the first month at minimum. Drew Butera will likely be the starting catcher while Perez rehabilitates from the injury.

Let's go ahead and take Sal out of the equation.

Royals C Salvador Perez will be out 4-6 weeks after tearing his MCL in a fall while carrying his luggage.

What a brutal and unfortunate way to start the year for Perez and the Royals. Perez apparently was handling his own bags, and slipped and tore the MCL. It leaves Kansas City without one of their most consistent offensive hitters for the first month at minimum. Drew Butera will likely be the starting catcher while Perez rehabilitates from the injury.
Wow.  That is terrible.  Salvy is an awesome person.  He is such a huge part of that team and always plays with a smile on his face.  That sucks.

EG72, offense good, pitching bad.  Hopefully you can trade in this league.  Pretty sure you're going to get smoked in all the ratios and saves each week.  Should have decent ks and a shot at some wins.  Probably going to need some more steals/runs too.

You can. Auto draft basically punted saves, so I wonder if I should just tank that category and focus on ERA/K/WHIP. I didn't draft a pitcher until late, pitching was flying off the board early, so I tried to zig when everyone else was zagging. Got Altuve at 7, Freeman at 18 and my outfielders in the 3rd-5th. Didn't take a pitcher until 6.7, so at that point, I just tried to put together a passable rotation of guys. Got sniped by 1 pick on Bumgarner. :hot:

Evilgrin 72 said:
You can. Auto draft basically punted saves, so I wonder if I should just tank that category and focus on ERA/K/WHIP. I didn't draft a pitcher until late, pitching was flying off the board early, so I tried to zig when everyone else was zagging. Got Altuve at 7, Freeman at 18 and my outfielders in the 3rd-5th. Didn't take a pitcher until 6.7, so at that point, I just tried to put together a passable rotation of guys. Got sniped by 1 pick on Bumgarner. :hot:
Is Holland still available?  Go snag him quickly if so.

guru_007 said:

Actually in an H2H league that pitching is fine especially if there is an innings floor. 

Hosmer>Longoria and I like Albies as a utility. I’m not a Story fan and Dansby stinks, but hitting is pretty strong. Not last place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually in an H2H league that pitching is fine especially if there is an innings floor. 

Hosmer>Longoria and I like Albies as a utility. I’m not a Story fan and Dansby stinks, but hitting is pretty strong. Not last place.
Thanks man.  I already have a waiver claim in that will dump Swanson for Solarte (mainly for position versatility.)  I have Albies in one of my two utility slots for now, but as soon as Acuna gets called up (s/b about 2 weeks,) I'm going to plug him into Hosmer's (utility) slot, move Hosmer to 1st and Freeman to third and bench Longoria (or Albies, we'll see.)

There is an innings floor (I think it's only 7.)  I figured I'll just punt saves entirely, start Betances and Robertson in my two RP slots and just try to win as many of the other 4 categories as I can.  If the strategy is working, I can try to deal Gregerson for something if he comes back in a couple weeks and re-takes the closer role.

Thanks man.  I already have a waiver claim in that will dump Swanson for Solarte (mainly for position versatility.)  I have Albies in one of my two utility slots for now, but as soon as Acuna gets called up (s/b about 2 weeks,) I'm going to plug him into Hosmer's (utility) slot, move Hosmer to 1st and Freeman to third and bench Longoria (or Albies, we'll see.)

There is an innings floor (I think it's only 7.)  I figured I'll just punt saves entirely, start Betances and Robertson in my two RP slots and just try to win as many of the other 4 categories as I can.  If the strategy is working, I can try to deal Gregerson for something if he comes back in a couple weeks and re-takes the closer role.
Holland just went to STL, That's why there was a suggestion to pick him up. Gregerson's closer days in STL are done before they even started. He's WW fodder

Holland just went to STL, That's why there was a suggestion to pick him up. Gregerson's closer days in STL are done before they even started. He's WW fodder
OK, thanks. Guess I can dump him, then. Literally no one on the wire that is going to have regular save opportunities so I guess I'll really just punt that stat. 

@TripItUp

I am new to fantasy baseball, and was wondering what your scoring was for this league.   I have done a couple drafts now, and mine always seem to be opposite in that I load up on batters and my SPs take a hit.  Granted it was only a 10teamer, but one of my drafts looked like:  Betts, Blackmon, Springer, Kimbrel, and I think Paxton is my best SP :bag: .   I am treating this as a learning year and just trying out some cheap leagues...
Paxton is an ace IMO.  Only question is will he stay healthy.  And that’s a very big question.

I was leading for a couple days, but about 6-7 teams blew past me in this salary cap challenge.  I don't want to blow through my 18 transactions on the year too quick, but I think I am going to make a claim or two.  

With the salary I can start 2 of these 4 guys.  Any opinions on who I should go with? :

Sale

Kluber

Kershaw

Scherzer 

Anyone thinking of starting Odorizzi v Pirates might want to know that 20+ mph winds blowing out are expected tonight in Pitt

Drafted Goldy with my first pick and Ramirez with my second.  After tonight they are a combined 2-50.  Andrew Romine and Don Kelly would never go 2-50. 

I need some advice guys. I'm in a h2h with standard scoring and I have fairly bad pitching. My starting pitchers are J.A. Happ , Jake Faria, Blake Snell, Lance McCullers Jr. and Joey Lucchesi. I have a decent amount of offense so my strategy is to trade for a starting pitcher. At outfield, I have J.D. Martinez, Charlie Blackmon, Marcell Ozuna , Ryan Braun, Kyle Schwarber and Max Kepler. I also have José Martínez and Scooter Gennett that are both outfield eligible. I have been offered the following trade. Masahiro Tanaka and a free agent pickup for J.D. Martinez. Seems like a good trade IMO but I wanted to get some second opinions so guys, do I pull the trigger? 

We start 3 OF and have 2 utility slots. 

BLOCKED_PUNT said:
I need some advice guys. I'm in a h2h with standard scoring and I have fairly bad pitching. My starting pitchers are J.A. Happ , Jake Faria, Blake Snell, Lance McCullers Jr. and Joey Lucchesi. I have a decent amount of offense so my strategy is to trade for a starting pitcher. At outfield, I have J.D. Martinez, Charlie Blackmon, Marcell Ozuna , Ryan Braun, Kyle Schwarber and Max Kepler. I also have José Martínez and Scooter Gennett that are both outfield eligible. I have been offered the following trade. Masahiro Tanaka and a free agent pickup for J.D. Martinez. Seems like a good trade IMO but I wanted to get some second opinions so guys, do I pull the trigger? 

We start 3 OF and have 2 utility slots. 
You definitely need pitching help.  I am not a big Tanaka guy but he has been good so far.  I don't trust Braun to stay healthy and Schwarber/Kepler/Jose M. are supposed to put up good numbers.  You will have to rely on them at some point when Braun goes down.  It's not a bad trade and probably is an overall help to your team.

Understand the concerns about Braun staying healthy, but its reasonable to have the same concerns about JDM. 119 games last year, 120 in 2016. DHing should help him in the long run, but I still think there is room for concern.

With the likes of Gennett and Jose Martinez, along with Braun, you have enough guys to mix and match as needed.

Whether this is daily or weekly lineups plays a huge role.  And I don't do 3 OF leeg's anymore, so maybe my thought process is off base in that regards.  But JD seems like too much to give up for Tanaka.  At least this early in the season.  Kepler and Schwarber are at best still learning how to hit lefties.  It'll be fun to see how Jose Martinez does as a regular, if this sticks, but - will it? and will he doing it well?  Scooter was a nice story last year, but in a league this size I'd think the goal would be to find the 2018 version of him.  Then there's the well documented health issues with Braun.

I just feel like a couple months from now a similar offer will be there if your pitching still sucks and more of these questions will have been answered.  In the end, you may end up needing the hitting depth and can't make the move.  Or you may patch together a rotation between now and then.  But if you don't?  Wheel and deal.

Just assuming Super Two status.  Not a lot of benefit for the Braves to bring him up.  They aren't competing this year, most likely.
Everything I read indicates that they want to try to sign him to a long term extension before he'd ever hit arbitration. I think they're going to call him up as soon as they get past the April 13 date that gives them an extra year of team control, but who knows? They're 5-3 right now and playing pretty well and have a ton of trade capital. Next year is when they're going to have real cap space to make a run at a couple of free agents, so they may just decide to wait until next year to really take a shot at the division. We'll see soon enough. 

Anyone looking to start Wheeler on Wed?  How did he look this spring?  Saw he had a decent start in AAA a few days ago.  Or is the move his opponent Jarlin Garcia? 

Looking for an arm this week in a points league, so ratios don't mean anything to me, just W, K, and IP.

Anyone looking to start Wheeler on Wed?  How did he look this spring?  Saw he had a decent start in AAA a few days ago.  Or is the move his opponent Jarlin Garcia? 

Looking for an arm this week in a points league, so ratios don't mean anything to me, just W, K, and IP.
High risk with moderate reward.  If you are just looking for a streamer for a one time start he probably won't hurt too bad if things go sideways.  I wouldn't trust him but as a dart throw I could see doing it (but I don't know what other darts you could be throwing to compare).

High risk with moderate reward.  If you are just looking for a streamer for a one time start he probably won't hurt too bad if things go sideways.  I wouldn't trust him but as a dart throw I could see doing it (but I don't know what other darts you could be throwing to compare).
Yeah, I did some looking into his Spring and it didn't go so well.  Options aren't that good obviously.  These two guys, Fister, Moore, Kuhl, Perdomo, Holland (I think this is my new target @SD), Tomlin, Boyd, Perez.  I almost grabbed Tomlin when he was dropped as I think he'll get some wins, but the Tribe isn't hitting and now they're saying he has a possible back issue.  Bunch of poop sandwiches.  

Bobcat10 said:
Yeah, I did some looking into his Spring and it didn't go so well.  Options aren't that good obviously.  These two guys, Fister, Moore, Kuhl, Perdomo, Holland (I think this is my new target @SD), Tomlin, Boyd, Perez.  I almost grabbed Tomlin when he was dropped as I think he'll get some wins, but the Tribe isn't hitting and now they're saying he has a possible back issue.  Bunch of poop sandwiches.  
I'm rolling with him and my options are slightly better. A lot of time missed, of course, but even last year coming off two full seasons of being out and still being injured, it wasn't a total disaster. His AAA start went well and there's a lot of upside if he's finally right. 

Of course there's some risk, but the Mets are on a roll and playing a AAA lineup. It's Roto and we have 1800 innings to use so it couldn't be much different, but I'm rolling with him. 

I'm on the train.  Picked him up last night.  Didn't want to wait til Saturday to pick up my start in case something happens before then and I need 2.

Hey look, I'm the biggest Mets fan around, but you guys using Wheeler must be on smack.  Miami is god awful, but Degrom and Syndergaard struggled against them.  Wheeler has been a 5 inning pitcher with limited command that throws a ton of pitches.  I figure he is gone by the 4th tonite with 90 pitches thrown.  I would hard pass on Wheeler.

Chemical X said:
Hey look, I'm the biggest Mets fan around, but you guys using Wheeler must be on smack.  Miami is god awful, but Degrom and Syndergaard struggled against them.  Wheeler has been a 5 inning pitcher with limited command that throws a ton of pitches.  I figure he is gone by the 4th tonite with 90 pitches thrown.  I would hard pass on Wheeler.
65 thru 5 so far with 6 K's.

As you can see above, my options were pretty bad and I need an 8th start this week, just no way around that in a points league.  The others are streaming in roto leagues too I believe, which did carry more risk.

I mentioned the opposing pitcher Garcia as the potential shark move....and, well, he's got something nice going through 5.  They'll probably both get a ND if it stays close.

Is this Garcia kid worth a full time roster spot at this point in deep leagues?  Shouldn't be hard for him to crack the Marlins rotation with starts like this.  Not watching the game, how does he look?

Users who are viewing this thread