What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Now the 2018 Assistant Coach Thread (3 Viewers)

Should I be trying to sell Domingo Santana? 16 team, keep forever dynasty, obp points league.

Of course once I put out some offers, he hits 2 bombs last night. I put the following offers out, should i pull any back?

• Santana for Puig
  • Santana for Hosmer
  • Santana for Mazara
  • Santana for Mancini
  • Santana/Dahl for Blackmon 

Should I be trying to sell Domingo Santana? 16 team, keep forever dynasty, obp points league.

Of course once I put out some offers, he hits 2 bombs last night. I put the following offers out, should i pull any back?

• Santana for Puig
  • Santana for Hosmer
  • Santana for Mazara
  • Santana for Mancini
  • Santana/Dahl for Blackmon 
My offer for Mazara got accepted. I like it, but do you think it's a win or loss for my team?

Huge win in a dynasty IMO but I'm still pretty high on Mazara
I wouldn't call it a huge win, but I'd rather have Mazara.  More to it, but just to isolate roto cats Domingo has demonstrated marginally more power, obp, and speed.  But he's also aged 26 vs. Mazara's 24 and has a lot less organizational rope.  So even if Domingo out produces him the next season and a half or so it's reasonable to expect the shift to begin about that time, especially if Domingo predictably stops running at all.  So as long as you don't lose this season or next by a small margin on offense I think this is a good thing for you @jeff_h.

I'm overloaded on OF and need Wins and Saves and 3B is a weakness.

I have Acuna, Soto, Jiminez, Judge, Robles, Kepler, and Mercado for 3 OFs and 2 UT

So I'm going against my longtime refusal to trade a superstar for several lesser players.

I get Austin Riley, Boyd and Kirby Yates

He gets Acuna,  J Osuna and Blake Parker

In theory I am against it, but I think it helps me significantly in the standings. (Riley will replace Wendel/Osuna at third)

eta 12 team 5x5

Last edited by a moderator:
Boyd and Yates are massive upgrades to Osuna and Parker. I think this is an accept anyway, but the 3b issue makes it a no brainer. 

Crowd sourcing - I'll try to keep this simple, but if I don't I apologize in advance. I can either:

*Keep Ozzie Albies and lock him up for multiple years or

*Keep both Clevinger (lock him up for multiple years) and Chavis (only one year though)

Roster, noted players already locked up for multiple years - H2H leeg (R/RBI/TB/SB/OBP, ERA/WHIP/W+QS/SV/K-9), I expect to make the playoffs

C- Grandal

1B- Olson

2B- Albies or Chavis

SS- Lindor (4)

3B- Open

OF- Bellinger/Mookie (3)/Yordan (2)

U- Tatis (2)/Gallo

SP- Paddack/Woodruff/Soroka/Glasnow/McKay

RP- Giles/Open

BN- 7 spots

^^^Thing is with the above, I may be able to draft a better 2B than Chavis, but won't know before I have to make the keeper decision. I think this is an easy decision with a stronger rotation (keep Albies), but...I don't.

Crowd sourcing - I'll try to keep this simple, but if I don't I apologize in advance. I can either:

*Keep Ozzie Albies and lock him up for multiple years or

*Keep both Clevinger (lock him up for multiple years) and Chavis (only one year though)

Roster, noted players already locked up for multiple years - H2H leeg (R/RBI/TB/SB/OBP, ERA/WHIP/W+QS/SV/K-9), I expect to make the playoffs

C- Grandal

1B- Olson

2B- Albies or Chavis

SS- Lindor (4)

3B- Open

OF- Bellinger/Mookie (3)/Yordan (2)

U- Tatis (2)/Gallo

SP- Paddack/Woodruff/Soroka/Glasnow/McKay

RP- Giles/Open

BN- 7 spots

^^^Thing is with the above, I may be able to draft a better 2B than Chavis, but won't know before I have to make the keeper decision. I think this is an easy decision with a stronger rotation (keep Albies), but...I don't.
Yes, keep Albies.  Chavez is a good power source at 2B and Clevinger is a nice SP3 type, but Albies has a really high ceiling.  In this format I think that's a easy call.  

5x5 14 team dynasty-

What would you need as the Trout owner. 

Alex Bergman + __________ for Trout. 
Probably N/A, but it depends on the rest of my roster. I don't think now is the right time to buy into Bregman. I also don't know if this is the year Trout fails to justify the #1 pick, but I think it's important to note that he's still in the discussion.

Probably N/A, but it depends on the rest of my roster. I don't think now is the right time to buy into Bregman. I also don't know if this is the year Trout fails to justify the #1 pick, but I think it's important to note that he's still in the discussion.
I’ve got a loaded team, won 3 of 4.  Before we hit our 20 keeper deadline, I’m just trying to add an OFer and figured I would shoot for Trout. 

Keepers as of today (14 team league)
1B: Pete Alonso, Rhys Hoskins

2B: Hiura, Gavin Lux

SS: Trea Turner

3B: Bregman, Donaldson, Sano

OF: Acuna, Springer

Flex: Yordan Alvarez, Ohtani (also P eligible, we use daily lineups)

SP: Kershaw, Verlander, Clevenger, Gallen, Wheeler, Montas

RP: Liam Hendricks and Archie Bradley

I might shoot for someone Eloy. Maybe package Donaldson and Lux?

I’ve got a loaded team, won 3 of 4.  Before we hit our 20 keeper deadline, I’m just trying to add an OFer and figured I would shoot for Trout. 

Keepers as of today (14 team league)
1B: Pete Alonso, Rhys Hoskins

2B: Hiura, Gavin Lux

SS: Trea Turner

3B: Bregman, Donaldson, Sano

OF: Acuna, Springer

Flex: Yordan Alvarez, Ohtani (also P eligible, we use daily lineups)

SP: Kershaw, Verlander, Clevenger, Gallen, Wheeler, Montas

RP: Liam Hendricks and Archie Bradley

I might shoot for someone Eloy. Maybe package Donaldson and Lux?
I misread your post - I thought you were the Trout owner. 

Well, from the perspective of a reasonable Trout owner - I'm only considering moving him if I'm rebuilding or if I am very top heavy and lack much in depth. In that scenario I may consider quantity over quality. But otherwise I think you're banking on the Trout owner being a dummy.

Regarding a player like Eloy, the only owner in your leeg that may be higher on him than you is the current Eloy owner.

I misread your post - I thought you were the Trout owner. 

Well, from the perspective of a reasonable Trout owner - I'm only considering moving him if I'm rebuilding or if I am very top heavy and lack much in depth. In that scenario I may consider quantity over quality. But otherwise I think you're banking on the Trout owner being a dummy.

Regarding a player like Eloy, the only owner in your leeg that may be higher on him than you is the current Eloy owner.
I feel like I always have to give a little more in this league to get.  My 21st best player is better than the 12th best keeper for half the league so some feel like it’s no big deal for me to give a little more to get.  I’m also only interested in top tier guys. Someone offered me Michael Brantley the other day, but what am I going to use him for?  He wouldn’t even be a keeper. 

I feel like I always have to give a little more in this league to get.  My 21st best player is better than the 12th best keeper for half the league so some feel like it’s no big deal for me to give a little more to get.  I’m also only interested in top tier guys. Someone offered me Michael Brantley the other day, but what am I going to use him for?  He wouldn’t even be a keeper. 
It depends on several factors, but I have Brantley ranked quite a bit ahead of several of your keepers.

It depends on several factors, but I have Brantley ranked quite a bit ahead of several of your keepers.
In a keeper league?  That’s interesting.  I feel like my least valuable guys are boosted by the OBP category vs BA (Hoskins and Sano). 

bigmarc27 said:
In a keeper league?  That’s interesting.  I feel like my least valuable guys are boosted by the OBP category vs BA (Hoskins and Sano). 
This year > Future year. I think the vast majority of owners in keeper/dynasty leagues over value young players and under value old guys. I don't think it's a good idea to build a roster full of them, but I've made a habit of trading for young 30 something's over the years and am always in the top 3.

This year > Future year. I think the vast majority of owners in keeper/dynasty leagues over value young players and under value old guys. I don't think it's a good idea to build a roster full of them, but I've made a habit of trading for young 30 something's over the years and am always in the top 3.
Don’t disagree, I’ve got guys like Kershaw, Verlander, Donaldson, etc...  I just view Brantley as someone I would never even play. I’d rather grab someone like JD Davis In the draft coming up as he’s currently in the draft pool. 

Don’t disagree, I’ve got guys like Kershaw, Verlander, Donaldson, etc...  I just view Brantley as someone I would never even play. I’d rather grab someone like JD Davis In the draft coming up as he’s currently in the draft pool. 
I may agree with that decision. I may not. I was sure to note 'it depends' a couple posts upstream to cover my bases. One of the reasons I love magic beisubol over futbol is the different formats and the impact it has on strategy.

Brantley's been a staple on one of my team's for years. I didn't even write his name down on a cheat sheet in a different leeg last year. I would think in a 14 team leeg he'd be valuable, but I am sure there are format's in which I wouldn't prioritize him - and there may even be others in which I wouldn't want him at all.

Any assistance or feedback help for a H2H keeper league, Need to keep 6 of the following. The stars are my first thought at keepers.

• C Mitch Garver
  • 3B Miguel Sano
  • 1B Edwin Encarnacion *
  • SS Fernando Tatis Jr. *
  • OF Joey Gallo
  • 3B Josh Donaldson *
  • OF Nick Castellanos
  • P Justin Verlander *
  • P Jake Odorizzi *
  • P Trevor Bauer *
  • P Jon Lester
  • P Madison Bumgarner

Any assistance or feedback help for a H2H keeper league, Need to keep 6 of the following. The stars are my first thought at keepers.

• C Mitch Garver
  • 3B Miguel Sano
  • 1B Edwin Encarnacion *
  • SS Fernando Tatis Jr. *
  • OF Joey Gallo
  • 3B Josh Donaldson *
  • OF Nick Castellanos
  • P Justin Verlander *
  • P Jake Odorizzi *
  • P Trevor Bauer *
  • P Jon Lester
  • P Madison Bumgarner
Categories? Roster setting? Weekly/daily lineups/transactions? Bench size? etc.

It's a pretty standard league on fantrax with daily lineups. Categories H, R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG-K, K/BB, ERA, WHIP, W, SV. 6 bench spots.
Not familiar with that setup, but it'd explain not keeping Sano nor Gallo. I'd think Castellanos > Odorizzi though.

huskers15 said:
It's a pretty standard league on fantrax with daily lineups. Categories H, R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG-K, K/BB, ERA, WHIP, W, SV. 6 bench spots.
I think I’d keep Gallo over Encarnacion. 

I think I’d keep Gallo over Encarnacion. 
This format is quite unfriendly to a bat like Gallo (and Sano). I don't know enough about it to answer but the H and AVG-K categories really torpedo their value. I feel comfortable saying Castellanos is better than all of them though. Both Castellanos and Encarnacion are 22% K bats/Gallo and Sano are 35+. Castellanos gets hits at about 27% of his PA's, the other three are around 20-21% (or worse). 

Sure, if this is the career year for Gallo/Sano then they will beat out Castellanos - I just don't make it a habit of expecting it. So deal with less power from Nick and see if this is the year he finally enters the launch angle revolution - away from the dredge in Detroit and in the Cincinnati bandbox. I think those two v. Encarnacion is more risk assessment dependent. There isn't much likelihood of him popping 40+ whereas both Gallo and Sano have 50+ power. Problem is they need to at least come close to that to offset where Encarnacion will almost assuredly thump them w/AVG-K.

This format is quite unfriendly to a bat like Gallo (and Sano). I don't know enough about it to answer but the H and AVG-K categories really torpedo their value. I feel comfortable saying Castellanos is better than all of them though. Both Castellanos and Encarnacion are 22% K bats/Gallo and Sano are 35+. Castellanos gets hits at about 27% of his PA's, the other three are around 20-21% (or worse). 

Sure, if this is the career year for Gallo/Sano then they will beat out Castellanos - I just don't make it a habit of expecting it. So deal with less power from Nick and see if this is the year he finally enters the launch angle revolution - away from the dredge in Detroit and in the Cincinnati bandbox. I think those two v. Encarnacion is more risk assessment dependent. There isn't much likelihood of him popping 40+ whereas both Gallo and Sano have 50+ power. Problem is they need to at least come close to that to offset where Encarnacion will almost assuredly thump them w/AVG-K.
I don't think AVG-K is the category.  It's confusing, but I think it's a 6x6 with the categories:

H, R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG

K, K/BB, ERA, WHIP, W, SV

Basically standard 5x5 but add H and K/BB.

Who to keep?

5X5 - 12 teams

keep as long as you want.. no contracts

Keeping:

Trout, Soto, Torres, .. trying to figure out the last two spots:

Best contenders: Machado, Bryant, Robles

Was thinking of keeping Robles over Machado or  Bryant for speed. I had decided against it, but I read today that Robles may be hitting leadoff. 

I will likely throw whoever I keep in these last two spots back next year, FWIW, as I am bringing up Vlad Jr and Yordan Alvarez this year.

Thoughts? TIA

Who to keep?

5X5 - 12 teams

keep as long as you want.. no contracts

Keeping:

Trout, Soto, Torres, .. trying to figure out the last two spots:

Best contenders: Machado, Bryant, Robles

Was thinking of keeping Robles over Machado or  Bryant for speed. I had decided against it, but I read today that Robles may be hitting leadoff. 

I will likely throw whoever I keep in these last two spots back next year, FWIW, as I am bringing up Vlad Jr and Yordan Alvarez this year.

Thoughts? TIA
Machado and Bryant should out produce Robles this year, but if Robles leads off that is a much better fit on your team since your only SB asset is 28 years old and dipped to 11 last year. The problem is if he doesn't lead off. I'd try to figure out who will likely be available early in the draft and if you can reasonably fix your SB problem via that method. Hopefully that exercise yields your answer, but if not I'd understand keeping Robles over Machado cause you don't want to be chasing SB's in the draft.

Keeper Help

5x5 obp roto

i get $18 for keepers. They increase $2 each year kept

Tim Anderson $2

Baez $5

Encarnacion $3

Judge $6

Meadows $3

McNeil $1

Ohtani (batter) $3

Clevinger $4

Darvish $3

Gallen $1

Glasnow $3

McKay $1

Paddack $2

Meadows 3

McNeil 1

Gallen 1

Glasnow 3

Paddack 2

Ohtani 3

Anderson 2

McKay 1
I just don’t think Ohtani as a batter is worth $3, I’d rather throw him and McKay back for Clevinger (who is already throwing). With Ohtani you get a DH only, with a max of what? 400 ABs best case scenario?  

boom king said:
Keeper Help

5x5 obp roto

Tim Anderson $2

Baez $5

Encarnacion $3

Judge $6

Meadows $3

McNeil $1

Ohtani (batter) $3

Clevinger $4

Darvish $3

Gallen $1

Glasnow $3

McKay $1

Paddack $2

boom king said:
Keeper Help

5x5 obp roto

Tim Anderson $2

Baez $5

Encarnacion $3

Judge $6

Meadows $3

McNeil $1

Ohtani (batter) $3

Clevinger $4

Darvish $3

Gallen $1

Glasnow $3

McKay $1

Paddack $2
I've looked at this a couple of times - each time I'm keeping too many arms and picking a different array of bats. So, maybe it'd be easiest to rule players out then go from there...

*Drop Tim Anderson - any gains in SB offset by loss of OBP, he's the least valuable bat listed.

*Drop Clevinger and Glasnow - both for injury purposes, the former because he currently is and the latter because I think he is/will be soon and don't want to deal with him.

*Drop Ohtani - attempt to re-buy if you're willing to wait him out (I'm not). If I'm buying currently injured players they need a bigger discount than he currently comes with.

*Drop McKay - no scenario comes out with him as an option

*This leaves you with $24 worth of players. Your best values are Meadows, Encarnacion, Darvish, and Paddack. They cost $11, so if you keep all of them then that rules out one of Baez or Judge. OBP reins supreme, so I lean whacking Baez. Then your last spot is between McNeil and Gallen. I like Gallen the best, but I hate keeping 4 bats:3 arms enough to keep McNeil instead. But if you keep Baez instead of Judge then you can keep both McNeil and Gallen. I'm not sure which direction I'd go.

*If you keep Baez and Judge (both provide enough EV+ to justify it) then you can't keep Encarnacion. It'd be the two big bats and Meadows. Then either Darvish and Gallen. Or Paddack, Gallen, and McNeil.

*Which path would I choose? It'd depend on the leeg. If I am confident in finding bargains then I keep the best players and forget value. More challenging competition? Lean towards keeping more players.

Good luck

Back for my yearly keeper question, any help appreciated fellas. Standard 5 cat league (obp,slg,sb,hr,r   qs,L,era,whip,k/9) ten team auction league ($260 budget). C, 1b, 2b, 3b, ss, of, of, of, util, util. If you keep a player, for the first two years the price increase is 5, the third year kept and beyond it goes up 10 every year. I can pick five keepers from the following list and would love to hear opinions.

Player/Price/Years kept (2 means this upcoming season would be the second year Ive kept the player)

Christian Yelich / $34 / 2 

Cody Bellinger / $30 / 3

Patrick Corbin / $12 / 2

Eduardo Escobar / $6 / 1

Keston Hiura / $15 / 1

Shane Bieber / $13 / 1

Luis Castillo / $6 / 1

Will Smith / $15 / 1

Willson Contreras / $10 / 1  

Can't argue with this although I might put Corbin in there instead of someone.   Just not sure who....
I only omitted him because I think Castillo + Bieber are enough to build a quality pitching staff. Bieber is better and Castillo is a better value at that price point. I'd rather use those dollars on more offense and premium closers. 

Can't argue with this although I might put Corbin in there instead of someone.   Just not sure who....

I only omitted him because I think Castillo + Bieber are enough to build a quality pitching staff. Bieber is better and Castillo is a better value at that price point. I'd rather use those dollars on more offense and premium closers. 
Thanks for the replies fellas. Unfortunately this is the hard part of the decision for me. I had truthfully narrowed it down to those six but have just been back and forth on what to do. I’m leaning Hiura over Corbin, hopefully that’s the best value and Keston cuts down on those Ks. Starting with Corbin Castillo and Bieber for ~$10 each would be a nice start too though.

14 team keep forever (5x5 OBP)

My Yordan Alvarez and Josh Donaldson for his Mookie and Yasmani Grandal.

I literally don’t have a Catcher at the moment, but I really don’t care about Grandal either, it’s more just making it a 2 for 2. Alvarez isn’t OF eligible right now which makes my 3rd OFer Puig or Sam Hilliard. Donaldson is a flex player for me right now. 

14 team keep forever (5x5 OBP)

My Yordan Alvarez and Josh Donaldson for his Mookie and Yasmani Grandal.

I literally don’t have a Catcher at the moment, but I really don’t care about Grandal either, it’s more just making it a 2 for 2. Alvarez isn’t OF eligible right now which makes my 3rd OFer Puig or Sam Hilliard. Donaldson is a flex player for me right now. 
to me, that seems like a lot to give up for Mookie. Is there a draft, etc with a chance to add a C and a better 3rd OF?

to me, that seems like a lot to give up for Mookie. Is there a draft, etc with a chance to add a C and a better 3rd OF?
We already drafted our 6 rounds (after we keep 20).  I did add Yasiel Puig and Sam Hilliard. I guess I’ll have an idea if either will be playing by the time the season rolls around.  Catcher I’m not too worried about. 

We already drafted our 6 rounds (after we keep 20).  I did add Yasiel Puig and Sam Hilliard. I guess I’ll have an idea if either will be playing by the time the season rolls around.  Catcher I’m not too worried about. 
I personally would pass, but I could see the reasoning to make the trade. 

Yahoo H2H 5x5, 16 teams, 4 keepers.  Who are you pairing with Yelich and Arenado?

Correa, Rizzo, Hader, Bauer, Clevinger

Users who are viewing this thread