What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Now the 2018 Assistant Coach Thread (2 Viewers)

I haven't looked at most of them yet. I think Nola is legit, but I think there is more he is already injured risk than most. If you're going the prospect route I'd go De Leon before Alvarez. The only other one I've really noted so far is Eduardo and that was just to add a reminder to not draft him - knee. I need to finish my bats cheat sheet and move onto arms.

For the other I'd roll with Ramirez. That way you're not relying on Gyroko. If Jedd does more of what he did last year then you can replace Cesar, who doesn't suck but doesn't really help much either.

Do you start a U? If so I'd consider a Ramirez/Healy back to back. 
When you get to the pitchers please let me know what you think. 

No we don't start a utility. It's an actual DH, which sucks. 

I thought about taking them both but really could use a couple starting pitchers with those picks. Right now I'm leaning with that and seeing what's left in the second round. 

His gamelog fits the narrative too.  When he first got dealt his BB's spiked, but slowly trended down as the last two months progressed.  Discounting @COL since no one in their right mind starts him there, he had the shelling @LAD and outside of that to finish the year?

6 G 6 W 41.2 IP 46 K 10 BB 7 ER 4 QS 0 HR

Arbitrary end points, which is a game I hate playing, but you can believe some of what this story says.  I'd still rather own him in H2H than Roto since a shelling can be quickly erased and I don't trust a 6* game sample, but there's reason to buy into this.

10-team league with 6x6 head-to-head (AVG, OPS, HR, R, RBI, SB, W, L, K, ERA, WHIP, SV)

Positions are: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P

How am I looking through 12 rounds?

1B:  Anthony Rizzo

3B: Anthony Rendon

SS:  Manny Machado

OF:  Giancarlo Stanton

OF:  Jose Bautista

OF: Christian Yelich

SP: Madison Bumgarner

SP: Chris Sale

SP:  David Price (yikes)

SP: Carlos Carrasco

SP: Cole Hamels

SP: Kevin Gausman

OK, this league I joined is a 16 team head to head points keep-10 league with a starting lineup of C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, OF, OF, OF, UT - SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP and 14 bench spots.

The points system is a bit wacky too but not even worrying about this, how would you adjust for starting only 48 SP's and having to start 48 RP's (saves are worth 4, holds 3).  Devalues both SP and RP a fair bit, right? Both SP and RP in the 30-50 range are pretty interchangeable IMO.

10-team league with 6x6 head-to-head (AVG, OPS, HR, R, RBI, SB, W, L, K, ERA, WHIP, SV)

Positions are: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P

How am I looking through 12 rounds?

1B:  Anthony Rizzo

3B: Anthony Rendon

SS:  Manny Machado

OF:  Giancarlo Stanton

OF:  Jose Bautista

OF: Christian Yelich

SP: Madison Bumgarner

SP: Chris Sale

SP:  David Price (yikes)

SP: Carlos Carrasco

SP: Cole Hamels

SP: Kevin Gausman
Looks pretty good.  I generally invest more in hitters and than pitchers, but your bats might be good enough to pull 3-4 Cats each week and your pitching is stout.  I'd focus on bats for a bit.  If Stanton or Bautista underperform or get hurt which is quite possible, you'll be hurting on offense.

OK, this league I joined is a 16 team head to head points keep-10 league with a starting lineup of C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, OF, OF, OF, UT - SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP and 14 bench spots.

The points system is a bit wacky too but not even worrying about this, how would you adjust for starting only 48 SP's and having to start 48 RP's (saves are worth 4, holds 3).  Devalues both SP and RP a fair bit, right? Both SP and RP in the 30-50 range are pretty interchangeable IMO.
Those are some pretty huge rosters.  I would be very tempted to wait on SPs till late and just pick up 8 or so to stream every week based on 2 starts if it's a weekly transactions league.

bigmarc27 said:
Looks pretty good.  I generally invest more in hitters and than pitchers, but your bats might be good enough to pull 3-4 Cats each week and your pitching is stout.  I'd focus on bats for a bit.  If Stanton or Bautista underperform or get hurt which is quite possible, you'll be hurting on offense.
Just plucked Carlos Santana in the 13th.  He's even better in OPS.  

I Like Rodon for certain in the @Bigboy10182000  Scenario!!

I kept Gordon over Desmond - so we shall see how that works out;

@TheBottomLine - I agree going sticks for the next few rounds - I personally think pitching is harder to predict/more fragile than Bats.. that being said, any chance any RPs are going to fall?

@Northern Voice I agree that pitching becomes devalued in that scenario; I play in a similar points league and almost always go offense the first 7 or 8 rounds and my pitching always seem to be just fine. Of course, that league is a 10 teamer and it is pretty easy to stream 2 starters as needed so that does help my strategy. 

Good Luck all

12 team points league, keep 5 majors, 4 youngs, 7 minors.

Looks like I'm about to acquire Arenado for Strasburg, Urias, Tomas, Devers, and a 4th.

My keepers are now Arenado, XB, Odor, Marte, and Hanley (unless I trade for a SP now)....Taillon, Snell, McCullers, Desclafini....Benintendi, Robles, E. Jimenez, Y. Alvarez, Rodgers, O'Neill, and either Cease or Mateo.

Seems like alot, but to me it's basically Urias and Devers for Arenado.  I have an extra 2nd, two extra 5ths, and an extra 6th as far as picks go....and I was looking to move on from Strasburg....Tomas is clearly expendable.  

If I can deal Tomas for the 5th pick of the draft is that something to do?

OF would then be Trout, Kemp and Herrara
I'd think about it to nab some of that pitching you listed above.  You kind of need to rebuild the roster besides a few spots....what can you fetch for Kemp and/or Richards?  

I'd think about it to nab some of that pitching you listed above.  You kind of need to rebuild the roster besides a few spots....what can you fetch for Kemp and/or Richards?  
I'll have to send out some feelers for those guys.  I thought about just hanging on to him as a 4th OFer. he does have some pop and may get me something more if he starts to tear it up.

Im leaning toward Rodon and Nola at 2 & 3.  Nola apparently was hitting 94 on the gun in his 2 innings which would be a 2 MPH increase from last season.

We are the approximate equivalent of a 17-team mixed 5x5 with OBP and SB-CS instead of AVG and SB. 7 keepers per team. 6 of mine are (with $260 cap equivalents):

JD Martinez $8, Pollock $13, Darvish $5, Osuna $8, Benintendi $4 and Piscotty $5.

Which of these would you choose for the 7th keeper:

Segura $18, Tim Anderson $4 or AJ Ramos $8?

We are the approximate equivalent of a 17-team mixed 5x5 with OBP and SB-CS instead of AVG and SB. 7 keepers per team. 6 of mine are (with $260 cap equivalents):

JD Martinez $8, Pollock $13, Darvish $5, Osuna $8, Benintendi $4 and Piscotty $5.

Mr Anderson IMO

Ramos is a good choice, given that your special categories are very bad for Anderson. But I can see the appeal in Anderson anyway. And I'd be worried about going into a league this deep without anybody at MI. And you already have a closer. I guess I'd lean towards Anderson, but hope he gets off to a hot start and maybe flip him before his warts get exposed. I like Segura but I'm not sure I can justify 14 bucks more than Anderson.

I am loving so many of the pitchers that are falling in the 12 - 20 round. McCullers, Nola, Rodon, Paxton, Gray, Happ, Estrada, Richards, Skaggs, Cotton, Cobb, etc.

I am seriously contemplating taking whoever falls to round 6 in the Carrasco/Archer/DeGrom/Hamels tier then not taking a SP again until round 12+

- edit - I am in a H2H league so I tend to go absurd quantity over quality anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
I am loving so many of the pitchers that are falling in the 12 - 20 round. McCullers, Nola, Rodon, Paxton, Gray, Happ, Estrada, Richards, Skaggs, Cotton, Cobb, etc.

I am seriously contemplating taking whoever falls to round 6 in the Carrasco/Archer/DeGrom/Hamels tier then not taking a SP again until round 12+

- edit - I am in a H2H league so I tend to go absurd quantity over quality anyway
How would you rank the SP's you mentioned in the 12-20?

I keep getting offers for Kershaw in this league. Latest is Schwarber/Rodon/Kemp. My team isn't going to win this year and I don't have 10 legit keepers so a 1 for multiple where I get younger makes sense. A rule in this league is if you trade for a guy, you must keep him as one of your 10, so I don't love Kemp but if he swapped in one of Max Kepler, Maikel Franco or J. P. Crawford for Kemp, is that enough for Kershaw (I really like Schwarber...)

First time NFBC satellite draft... 12 teams Roto, starting 5 OFs with likely heavy competition in the league so draft was no cakewalk. Not super experienced with roto but I am pretty happy with the outcome. Looks to be weak at 2B/MI/UTL but had to make some sacrifices. Offense is a decent mix of old and some upside IMO, got good values on guys like Beltre and Bautista. My pitching is probably heavily skewed young and risky but figured if I might as well try to go for the upside if I am trying to win. 

http://oi67.tinypic.com/3hqpt.jpg

Depends on leeg format and makeup of your team, but - I agree with him. 
I wasn't sure if that was the order he liked them in or just the names he came across. 

In my league I'm taking Rodon for sure and debating between Nola and Cotton. Nola from what I've been reading actually has his velocity up so far this spring. 

I keep getting offers for Kershaw in this league. Latest is Schwarber/Rodon/Kemp. My team isn't going to win this year and I don't have 10 legit keepers so a 1 for multiple where I get younger makes sense. A rule in this league is if you trade for a guy, you must keep him as one of your 10, so I don't love Kemp but if he swapped in one of Max Kepler, Maikel Franco or J. P. Crawford for Kemp, is that enough for Kershaw (I really like Schwarber...)
I don't think that's nearly enough for Kershaw. If you're rebuilding, I'd want like Bregman, Urias, and Buxton.   If you love Schwarber, fine, but the rest of that package isn't even close for me. 

Bumgarner just got traded in my league for Bregman and Benintendi to a rebuild squad. I like that haul way better than what you're showing above. 

I don't think that's nearly enough for Kershaw. If you're rebuilding, I'd want like Bregman, Urias, and Buxton.   If you love Schwarber, fine, but the rest of that package isn't even close for me. 

Bumgarner just got traded in my league for Bregman and Benintendi to a rebuild squad. I like that haul way better than what you're showing above. 
I agree with this.  Also agree with trying to deal Kershaw, just get way more for him imo.

The risk is baked into the price, but both of these guys had barking elbows / forearms last year and are ticking time-bombs for TJ.

Hamels will be the last remaining of the other guys you mention. Not sure Id feel very safe building a staff around Hamels, McCullers and Nola. 

The risk is baked into the price, but both of these guys had barking elbows / forearms last year and are ticking time-bombs for TJ.

Hamels will be the last remaining of the other guys you mention. Not sure Id feel very safe building a staff around Hamels, McCullers and Nola. 
I think if you go down this well then you really need to commit yourself to the quantity strategy.  That's why I think it depends on the leeg and what you do prior to getting to this tier.  If any of these guys throw 200+ IP's then they will be huge profits.  If though. 

What are thoughts on Zach Davies, Ivan Nova, and Jeremy Hellickson?  I am in a points based H2H salary cap league and looking to save money because there will be a lot of top line SP available due to your contract rules.  The scoring in this league is heavily weighted to strikeout, QS pitchers.  Kershaw was by far the highest scoring guy until he got hurt. He averaged 30.86 ppg and finished 13th overall even with missing most of the second half of the season.  There was only 1 batter in the top 10 overall and that was Mookie Betts. 

My team is lacking in the freeze department for spots 12-15.  I am looking to trade Cueto (projected 19 ppg) for those three guys above (Davies/13.3 ppg, Nova/, 12.25 ppg, and Hellickson/14.25 ppg).  The other factor is that Cueto will cost $5.2 (out of $100) while the other three combine for $3.9.  So this is also a nice salary savings let alone giving me some tickets for my 12-15 spots. 

Thoughts on moving Cueto for Davies, Nova and Hellickson under these circumstances?

I like Nova, and I'm not familiar with the format, but I'd rather keep Cueto then try to acquire guys like those 3 were last year (free) rather than trade a top 15 arm for all of them now.

I like Nova, and I'm not familiar with the format, but I'd rather keep Cueto then try to acquire guys like those 3 were last year (free) rather than trade a top 15 arm for all of them now.
I understand what you mean.  I am a little stuck in that I don't have quality cheap options to fill out my 15 players which will hurt in the auction because I would have to spend more on my freezes to match those 3 serviceable arms.  I think all three have some upside to be solid starters and the savings will help me be a player for Kershaw, Madbum, Strasberg, Scherzer, Archer, Lester, Carrasco, Darvish.....who will all be available. 

I guess I am really asking if Nova, Davies, and Hellickson have any upside in a league that heavily favors K's and QS in the scoring system to move Cueto in hopes of getting a much better shot at 1 or 2 of the elite arms available above.

I guess I am really asking if Nova, Davies, and Hellickson have any upside in a league that heavily favors K's and QS in the scoring system to move Cueto in hopes of getting a much better shot at 1 or 2 of the elite arms available above.
Davies... maybe. Some hype around him as this year's Hendricks. Nova and Hellickson are both low-ish K guys. Not sure but maybe they could be good for QS. Davies isn't a big K guy right now. They're all kind of interesting but I agree that dealing Cueto seems risky. Can you really not just go get Lester or Carrasco if you have Cueto? Can you really not just keep Cueto and go get this year's Davies/Hellickson/Nova (let's say... Andrew Triggs, Daniel Norris and Jesse Hahn, or let's say Gsellman if your league isn't all over him like most)? 

Davies... maybe. Some hype around him as this year's Hendricks. Nova and Hellickson are both low-ish K guys. Not sure but maybe they could be good for QS. Davies isn't a big K guy right now. They're all kind of interesting but I agree that dealing Cueto seems risky. Can you really not just go get Lester or Carrasco if you have Cueto? Can you really not just keep Cueto and go get this year's Davies/Hellickson/Nova (let's say... Andrew Triggs, Daniel Norris and Jesse Hahn, or let's say Gsellman if your league isn't all over him like most)? 
I could go get those guys while having Cueto but I will have less money for other players to fill out the roster and my 12-15 freezes suffer (and cost more).  Making the trade or not making the trade doesn't preclude me from going after those other guys.  I guess the other thing for me is I am not as high on Cueto as the ranks.  I think he has topped out and will start to go down.  Not necessarily drastically but I am just not quite as high on him.

Thanks for the input. 

Re K's - I don't think so, but Nova's Swstk finally returned to pre Tommy John form, got more bats to chase than ever before, and got his contact rate down near where it was pre TJ too.  His BB rate isn't sustainable, but if it's just good then I like his chances for quality starts as he had 6 in his 11 starts (2 complete games) post trade.

12 team points league, pretty standard.  I traded Braun a couple weeks ago, who I had since the inaugural draft when he was a minor leaguer.  Looking to move on from Pujols as well.  Team needs a shake up.  The players I currently have on my roster that could occupy the "open spot" below are Pujols, Kendrys, and Calhoun.  I'm not excited either.

Keepers:

Freeman, Felix, Kinsler, Rendon, Aar Sanchez, open spot

Schwarbs, G. Sanchez, Manaea, Piscotty

Devers, Tapia, Yus Diaz, N. Williams, Sheffield, Soroka, and either Bobby Bradley or Nick Gordon.  

I'm trying to trade a minor league player not named Devers and a draft pick for someone worthy of that last spot.  I have rounds 1-6 and 10+ available to trade (and an extra 3rd, 9th, and 10th).  I have my 8th and 9th, but can't trade them because I traded my 7th.  Here are some options:

Owner A - Gerrit Cole, Polanco - He probably has to drop one if no trade is made.  Price for Cole is very expensive, he's talking a 1st round pick (which is ridiculous).  

Owner B - CarGo, Archer, Porcello - He definitely has to drop one, he says he's most open to dealing CarGo.  No ideas on for what yet.  He really likes Schwarbs and Sanchez though, which leads me to think this will go nowhere.

Owner C - Hamels, J. Upton, Quintana, Hendricks - He definitely has to drop 2 of these players.  From what he's told me, Quintana seems very likely as one drop unless the Sox trade him to a nice situation.  Can't get a read on the other three, but a prospect and a 5th or 6th might get the job done.  He likes my prospects in this order: Soroka, Tapia, Sheffield, and Gordon.

Anyone listed above you would go all in for?  To me that means giving one of my 3rd round picks, and maybe a prospect, as I'm not trading my 1st or 2nd.  Or just try any of them for a 6th and maybe a prospect?  At some point these people have to break, or get nothing in return and toss the guys back in.

What is the price on Polanco?
He's basically telling me now one of them has to go.  He wants gain some slottage in the draft and take a prospect.  I don't think he realized I had #1 overall.  I'm not swapping #1 for Cole (or Polanco) and #12 when I know he's under the impression he has to deal one.

You would rather have Polanco over Cole?  Cole's arm issues do stick in the back of my mind.  My thought now is to get him to take 3.01 and a prospect, and I'd push for 4.03 or 5.12 back.

The rounds go 1-14 for the first 3 rounds, then snakes, so I have 1.01, 2.01, 3.01, (and another 3rd in here somewhere), 4.14, 5.01, etc.  

Both of them had health issues last year, but Polanco produced despite them. Both of them have top 10 upside, but I like his floor more.

Wanted to get people's thoughts on how I should handle the Ian Desmond injury.  I kept him for $11 last Friday just before he broke his hand getting hit by a pitch.  I can hang onto him or I can dump him and recoup that money for the draft (he just goes back in the pool).  Wish I could switch him out for $5 Marcell Ozuna, but that's not an option.  What say ye, keep him or dump him?

Wanted to get people's thoughts on how I should handle the Ian Desmond injury.  I kept him for $11 last Friday just before he broke his hand getting hit by a pitch.  I can hang onto him or I can dump him and recoup that money for the draft (he just goes back in the pool).  Wish I could switch him out for $5 Marcell Ozuna, but that's not an option.  What say ye, keep him or dump him?
What's the leeg format?  I hate owning players that are already injured, but that's a good price.

What's the leeg format?  I hate owning players that are already injured, but that's a good price.
12 team league with a $300 budget.  Start 2 at C/1B/2B/3B/SS; 6 OF; 1 U; 10 P.  Hitter cats are OBP/HR/R/RBI/SB;  Pitcher cats are W:Hld+Sv:K/BB:ERA:WHIP

12 team league with a $300 budget.  Start 2 at C/1B/2B/3B/SS; 6 OF; 1 U; 10 P.  Hitter cats are OBP/HR/R/RBI/SB;  Pitcher cats are W:Hld+Sv:K/BB:ERA:WHIP
Given the depth of that lineup I'd dump him.  I play in a league with a similar format and think that owning good injured players is difficult to manage, let alone starting out of the gates with one.

Youre looking at the possible keepers from the all time worst lineup from last year. Need some help.

Keep up to 4. auction h2h stats. one win

Batters Stat Categories:

Runs (R), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)

Pitchers Stat Categories:

Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Walk Ratio (K/BB), Quality Starts (QS)

Price 18, Felix 15 greinke 17, bauer 1, matt moore 1. tanaka 11, r.iglesias 1
myers 11, bryant 37, duvall 4, piscotty 4. lamb 3, baez 1, swanson 1, devon travis 1, profar 1
Leon 1, travis shaw 1, cozart 1,  kipnis 16. s.perez 6. 

Any other tips would be great. how to attack draft. in season stuff.

thx

Youre looking at the possible keepers from the all time worst lineup from last year. Need some help.

Batters Stat Categories:

Runs (R), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)

Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Walk Ratio (K/BB), Quality Starts (QS)

myers 11, bryant 37, duvall 4, piscotty 4. lamb 3, baez 1, swanson 1, devon travis 1, profar 1

thx
Bryant is fine at that price, I'd keep him. 

Outside of that I'd probably keep Swanson, Duvall, and maybe Myers.  Duvall is cheap homers and since you don't have K's as a cat, he won't kill you there at that price.  Swanson is going to get you $10 value at least, maybe like $20.  I like Baez for his flexibility but playing time is a concern and he's frankly just a better real life baseball player, his fantasy impact is unknown right now.  Piscotty also cheap there, you could consider him if that's your guy. 

#### all those pitchers, if you got Price at $18 last year you are gonna be able to do a lot better this year.  I like Tanaka ok at that price but you might be able to get him at $11 in the draft.  Myers isn't a shark play but $11 is fair and with that scoring he should be worth at least $11, probably closer to $20.  gllllllll

Batters Stat Categories:

thx
Never, ever pay for a single SB or Sv. Too many categories. Get sluggers. Invest heavily in really good pitchers. 

You didn't mention how many teams, but I'll assume 12-14 and thus prioritize elite talent.

I think I keep Bryant, Tanaka, Piscotty for sure, Are you playing with CI/MI positions? Starting 2 catchers? 2 catchers I maybe keep Perez. 1 catcher with CI I think I keep Lamb. With no MI/CI I guess I keep Myers? I might keep Lamb anyway and play Bryant at OF.

Users who are viewing this thread