What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which team would score more? (1 Viewer)

Which team scores more?

• Baseball team in baseball game

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Hockey team in hockey game

Votes: 45 42.9%

• Total voters

gianmarco

Footballguy
A professional baseball team faces a professional hockey team in two contests: A 9 inning baseball game in the baseball team's home stadium and a regulation hockey game in the hockey team's home arena.

Which team scores more?  The hockey team in the hockey game or the baseball team in the baseball game?

The hockey team probably has more than a couple of guys on it who have played baseball at some point in their lives at a reasonable level (High School).  The baseball team probably doesn't have but one or two guys on its team that has played hockey.

I'm going to go with the hockey team, despite the time regulations of the game. 

ETA: I don't think a hockey team is scoring anything off a professional pitcher......but I do think they could field 9 guys who could play servicable defense. I think most baseball players would injure themselves before they even took the ice....and once the game started......those NHL players would have a field day kicking the #### out of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hockey team is going to score at least once a minute. I'd guess they score 80-90 goals.

But doubt that's enough due to unlimited time in baseball game over 9 innings.

The hockey team probably has more than a couple of guys on it who have played baseball at some point in their lives at a reasonable level (High School).  The baseball team probably doesn't have but one or two guys on its team that has played hockey.

I'm going to go with the hockey team, despite the time regulations of the game. 

ETA: I don't think a hockey team is scoring anything off a professional pitcher......but I do think they could field 9 guys who could play servicable defense. I think most baseball players would injure themselves before they even took the ice....and once the game started......those NHL players would have a field day kicking the #### out of them.
This guy gets it.  Good post.

Hockey team could in theory. Baseball team no ficking way. 

Half the baseball team grew up in climates that never saw ice. Every hockey player in the world has run around on grass before. 

Seriously how many people on an MLB team do you think could stand up let alone skate on ice?
Pretty sure A Rod figure skates in secret

Hockey team could in theory. Baseball team no ficking way. 

Half the baseball team grew up in climates that never saw ice. Every hockey player in the world has run around on grass before. 

Seriously how many people on an MLB team do you think could stand up let alone skate on ice?
Its like mandatory military service in Korea, Canadians must skate.

Votto

Saunders

Lawrie

How about a five on five game of hoops between hockey players and baseball plyers

the beisbol guys would be exhausted minutes after tip-off but probably find a few who can play a bit.  Those hockey goons would be beasts down in the low post 

Nevermind normal skating, but playing goalie on goalie ice skates is something special in its own right.  That baseball goalie wouldn't make one stop.

So, I've been looking at this as a life or death match with a full year to prepare.

How would that preparation screw with your true talents? It's weird but unlimited scoring in baseball couldn't possibly lose.

Couldn't the baseball team put 6 guys in front of the goal to defend? (I don't know hockey rules)

What could a hockey player possibly do to not get his pitches repeatedly smashed for dingers? Or walk in a ton of runs?

Doubt a hockey player can hit a ball from a major-league pitcher.  Baseball players have a hard enough time doing it and they are paid to do so.

I don't think the baseball team needs to swing at a single pitch to get more runs than the hockey team's goals.
You would be wrong.  You don't think at least one of those pro level athlete (hockey players) could throw a ball 60 feet in the strike zone at all???

You would be wrong.  You don't think at least one of those pro level athlete (hockey players) could throw a ball 60 feet in the strike zone at all???
 Was thinking about this and then I thought about them throwing 4 of them in a row without getting dinged.

Hockey team would score more in one period than baseball team would score in 9 innings. 

Baseball still sees a very low success rate among the best hitters. Most hockey players probably played baseball growing up - not well enough to hit MLB pitching, but well enough to field MLB hitters. Most baseball players probably can't even stand up on skates. 

Nevermind normal skating, but playing goalie on goalie ice skates is something special in its own right.  That baseball goalie wouldn't make one stop.

Couldn't the catcher just play butterfly the entire time, limiting the impact of his poor/non existent skating ability? Obviously he's still leaving a ton of the net open, but I still think his natural reflexes and experience tracking/blocking/catching a high speed projectile from that position would at least prevent SOME scoring opportunities.  Have the defenders crowd the area around the net to further muck things up and I think the baseball team does enough to slow down the hockey scoring.

Assuming the hockey team's best pitcher is throwing batting practice fastballs at best (when they're actually throwing strikes) and I think the baseball team puts 100+ runs on them. 

The baseball players would probably look stupider playing hockey than the hockey players would playing baseball (at least on defense. It would obviously be hilarious watching them at the plate if they ever actually got up there)  but we're still talking time limit vs the hockey team actually needing to record outs.

I think the hockey team would score more since they would pretty much be on offence for the whole game shooting at pretty much an empty net.  

Couldn't the baseball team put 6 guys in front of the goal to defend? (I don't know hockey rules)

What could a hockey player possibly do to not get his pitches repeatedly smashed for dingers? Or walk in a ton of runs?
I would think after being hit repeatedly by a hocky puck the baseball players would abandon that strategy pretty quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you guys nuts? A baseball player has a success rate of 20-30% against a professional pitcher.

Id be shocked if you found 1 NHL player throwing consistent 90mph strikes or 3 NHL players throwing consistent 80 MPH strikes.

The hockey team winds up with their starter throwing inconsistent 70mph strikes. He's giving up on average 10-15 runs in the first 3 innings, lets call it 12. 150 pitches in after 3, how good is the hockey team's number 2 pitcher? Probably 12-15 runs for another 2 innings.

Their 3, 4, & 5 pitchers? Easily 20-40 runs an inning in the 6th to 9th.

Baseball and it isn't close.

Are you guys nuts? A baseball player has a success rate of 20-30% against a professional pitcher.

Id be shocked if you found 1 NHL player throwing consistent 90mph strikes or 3 NHL players throwing consistent 80 MPH strikes.

The hockey team winds up with their starter throwing inconsistent 70mph strikes. He's giving up on average 10-15 runs in the first 3 innings, lets call it 12. 150 pitches in after 3, how good is the hockey team's number 2 pitcher? Probably 12-15 runs for another 2 innings.

Their 3, 4, & 5 pitchers? Easily 20-40 runs an inning in the 6th to 9th.

Baseball and it isn't close.

At all? Sure. Consistently enough to do it before 4 balls (or hitting the batter) 27 different times before their arm dies? (Or have two guys that could do that 13+ times). Doubt it. 

Baseball has position players pitch a few times a year.  They still manage to get out of innings.  Even in home run derbys with BP pitchers throwing intentionally over the heart of the plate, guys fly out all the time.

Hockey players tend to be amazing athletes who grew up playing multiple sports.  

I'm going hockey here.

Baseball has position players pitch a few times a year.  They still manage to get out of innings.  Even in home run derbys with BP pitchers throwing intentionally over the heart of the plate, guys fly out all the time.

Hockey players tend to be amazing athletes who grew up playing multiple sports.  

I'm going hockey here.
Exactly, even in homerun derbys and batting practice guys are hitting  balls that are outs.

At all? Sure. Consistently enough to do it before 4 balls (or hitting the batter) 27 different times before their arm dies? (Or have two guys that could do that 13+ times). Doubt it. 
This is where I am. Even if those guys hit an occasional infield grounder, they are gonna have a hard time throwing these guys out. Professional players make it look easy and still get them out by fractions of a second most of the time.

27 outs is a lot. 

I've analyzed the data

Considering the mercy rule (of which no sport has a rule in place)

The best assessment I can give is +20 points when 3/4 of the way through the game the refs can call the game if it's boring.

Both teams would even out in their sport 

Users who are viewing this thread