What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Turning your garage into a rec room (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
Has anyone done this?  pros/cons?  My children play on the top floor and drive me crazy with their stomping.  My garage is 25% storage and 75% open space.  I'm seriously considering making this a play room for the kids.  I have no windows in my garage, so climate control may be an issue.

Has anyone done this?  pros/cons?  My children play on the top floor and drive me crazy with their stomping.  My garage is 25% storage and 75% open space.  I'm seriously considering making this a play room for the kids.  I have no windows in my garage, so climate control may be an issue.
Can easily be done.  Remove the garage door or leave the door in just keep it up and and put windows into the new framed wall. If you want to keep the garage door. Cutting in windows into an existing wall shouldn't be a problem for a skilled carpenter. The window company probably has a crew that can do it and install the windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can easily be done.  Remove the garage door and and put windows into the new framed wall. If you want to keep the garage door. Cutting in windows into an existing wall shouldn't be a problem for a skilled carpenter. The window company probably has a crew that can do it and install the windows.
I guess air conditioning and or heat are my primary concerns.  Any insight?

We kind of did this with our garage at our old house when the kids were younger - indoor/outdoor carpet and a window unit for heat/air.  Worked well but I would advise not doing anything you can't easily undo when you are ready to move.

One other consideration is the toll it will take on your car(s) - staying out in the elements 24/7 isn't great for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you 100% on the stomping. Finishing basement right now and insulating the ceiling and walls with Roxul sound insulation. Do you know if the ceiling has any insulation in it? Might want to consider that option over converting a garage.

could even cut some holes and blow in insulation to fill the joist and plug hole to keep cost down. 

Metal channeling in the drywall would help but now your talking total ceiling tear down. 

I'd install cameras so you can keep an eye on the kids when hashtag pound pound is over to play. 

Users who are viewing this thread