What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The list of best presidents of all time (1 Viewer)

I don't know how to rank Presidents I wasn't alive for.  Except for the truly amazing (Lincoln) and the truly deplorable (Harding) I'm not sure how to really deal with those.  But Obama is certainly in my top 1/4, GWB in my bottom 1/4.

Probably some recency bias with Obama. Besides the ACA - which can be viewed pretty negatively - what did Obama really accomplish? Maybe as an ambassador for gay/transgender rights I suppose. He was absolutely abysmal on race relations, and that was supposed to be a strong point. Nothing else really stands out in a positive or negative way about his presidency. My guess is he'll slip down the ranks a few more notches. 

Woodrow Wilson is way too high on the list

too soon to put Obama or w Bush on the list  IMO 

Probably some recency bias with Obama. Besides the ACA - which can be viewed pretty negatively - what did Obama really accomplish? Maybe as an ambassador for gay/transgender rights I suppose. He was absolutely abysmal on race relations, and that was supposed to be a strong point. Nothing else really stands out in a positive or negative way about his presidency. My guess is he'll slip down the ranks a few more notches. 
how is a president supposed to control race relations? i never really understood that idea (if we are talking the simple black v white which everyone talks about, like somehow the other ethnicities and racial groups around the world don't matter). I would also think you consider what Obama walked into when he started that he improved things more then he likely gets credit for. Of course this stuff is b.s. for majority of people who look at it. Not sure the exact criteria to measure this but seems awfully bias and subjective a lot of the time.

Funny thing is i would guess that Trump will possibly improve race relations (again if we are still looking at this in the simpleton terms of the black vs. white that seems to be all people really talk about). Nothing better that unites people then a common enemy. May see some progress simply based on easier to find a common enemy then really look for things that are that similar

Living in both the 90s and into this millennium, I don't know how anyone could have Bush or Obama ahead of Clinton.  The 90s were great: economy was strong, Americans were more united, World was more at peace, and Clinton actually had a balanced budget.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Righetti, thanks for asking.

First of all Yankee is the man for this, the guy should be teaching.

IMO fwiw :

The Greats, made the country, saved the country, created America's place in the world:

1 Big George

2. Lincoln

3. FDR

4. Jefferson

No. 5 is tough. I'm going Monroe here because of the creation of American exceptionalism and global mission (along with Jefferson).

6. Eisenhower

7. Madison

8. Adams

Changed the nature of the country or its place in the world for the better:

9. Reagan

10. Jackson - Love him, hate him, the man left an impact.

11. Teddy Roosevelt

12. Truman - got us out of WW2, cemented the post war western order.

13. Polk - king of the 1 termers.

Reform presidents:

14/15. Cleveland - 2 terms

16. Kennedy - partial 1 term.

17a. John Garfield - partial 1 term

17b. Chester Arthur - partial 1 term

19. Benjamin Harrison - 1 term

Mixed bag, overall positive:

20. McKinley - pretty much made America a global nation - partial 1 term.

21. George HW Bush - well he tried. In retrospect the Iraq War I while justified had unforeseen and terrible effects. - 1 term, 3rd term of Reagan.

22. JQ Adams - 1 term, 3rd term of Monroe.

23. Martin Van Buren - say what you will about the man but he 'got' the issues that would lead to the CW ahead of his time - 1 term, 3rd term of Jackson.

Mixed bag:

24. Johnson - nearly 2 terms, the ultimate mixed bag.

25. Clinton - 2 terms

26. Obama - 2 terms (really results aren't in yet)

27. Coolidge - saw the coming storm, but decided it wasn't worth fighting over. - 1 term.

28. Tyler - part of the long slow grind to the CW - 1 term.

29. Filmore - part of the long march to war - almost 1 term.

30. Hayes - ended Reconstruction, cemented in the Southern dysfunction that would hold for decades - 1 term, 3rd term of Grant..

Just didn't do much:

31. Zachary Taylor - big personality, was in important events but just didn't get to live to see them play out.

32. Ford - really just didn't do much.

33. WIlliam Harrison - technically a DQ.

Presidents who left a bad mark:

34. Grant - great hero but his version of Reconstruction created an era of corruption in the South and north.

35. Taft - what a massive screwup, basically his intransigence and passivity about corruption led to Wilson, WW1, altering of constitutional balance.

36. George W. Bush

37. Wilson - we are living in a post-WW1 world and he helped create the rubric that led to WW2 and much of what has gone wrong in the imperial presidency and decline in representative government.

38. Pierce

Crisis Presidents:

39. Carter

40. Harding

41. Hoover

42. Buchanan - gets a tough rap but there it is, the Civil War really started under him.

Disgraced presidents:

43. Nixon

44. Andrew Johnson

* Most underrated - Garfield and Arthur, the first real reform presidency.

* Most overrated - Wilson

I'll build this out after I have some time to think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that Wilson too high. JFK is also too high.

Think Polk is too low.

I'm a supporter of Pierce for worst Pres of all time, but he, Buchanan and Johnson are surely the bottom 3.

I think Tyler, if only because of the way he defined succession of the office can't be in the bottom 5.

Amazing how Jackson is being redefined. Still top-5 in my book, but his image is sure taking some shots.

Living in both the 90s and into this millennium, I don't know how anyone could have Bush or Obama ahead of Clinton.  The 90s were great: economy was strong, Americans were more united, World was more at peace, and Clinton actually had a balanced budget.  
I always thought of Clinton as being in the right place at the right time....the .com boom era.

Agree that Wilson too high. JFK is also too high.

Think Polk is too low.

I'm a supporter of Pierce for worst Pres of all time, but he, Buchanan and Johnson are surely the bottom 3.

I think Tyler, if only because of the way he defined succession of the office can't be in the bottom 5.

Amazing how Jackson is being redefined. Still top-5 in my book, but his image is sure taking some shots.
Polk rules.  Real workhorse.

list looks fake.  Where is trump?  Somebody told his score was 2600.  I guess twitter infiltrated these results and pushed down the positive scores.

Sorry I didn't see this. My own list is pretty close- (you can find it on the op of my thread) with a few notable differences: 

1. I think Woodrow Wilson was an awful President. He deserves credit for establishing America's international moral role for the next century, which was a big deal, but otherwise his actions were mostly bad. 

2. I have Polk and Truman higher. 

3. I downgraded FDR- still in my top 10 but not as high as most people- I objected to the Japanese internment, the attempt to subvert the Supreme Court, and the shutting off of America as a refuge for Jews attempting to escape the Holocaust. Still a great President, just not AS great. 

Obama should be middle of the pack, but history will be kind to him because he was sandwiched in between W and Trump.  

Good to see Reagan that high up there, as he should be. 

That was pre-9/11. A lot of people have completely lost their #### since 9/11 and live day to day with wildly irrational fears and entitlement. (see: support for Muslim ban).

Sorry I didn't see this. My own list is pretty close- (you can find it on the op of my thread) with a few notable differences: 

1. I think Woodrow Wilson was an awful President. He deserves credit for establishing America's international moral role for the next century, which was a big deal, but otherwise his actions were mostly bad. 

3. I downgraded FDR- still in my top 10 but not as high as most people- I objected to the Japanese internment, the attempt to subvert the Supreme Court, and the shutting off of America as a refuge for Jews attempting to escape the Holocaust. Still a great President, just not AS great. 
You have Nixon at 12.

You have Nixon at 12.
I do. I credit him for 4 huge achievements: opening up China, establishment of the EPA, ending the Vietnam War, and detante with the Soviet Union. All of these had lasting, positive impact on our history, and IMO they do more than enough to make up for his corruption and other faults. 

I do. I credit him for 4 huge achievements: opening up China, establishment of the EPA, ending the Vietnam War, and detante with the Soviet Union. All of these had lasting, positive impact on our history, and IMO they do more than enough to make up for his corruption and other faults. 
And that's ok. It's a question of value judgements and we're all different on that, the list in the OP is no different.

If you look at the methodology of the list, it is biased towards Presidents who fought wars.  EG:  one of the categories is crisis leadership.  If you have 4 peaceful, prosperous year you are not going to score well.  Also, foreign relations, public persuasion, and a few others.

I agree on all three points here

Ghost Rider said:
Obama should be middle of the pack, but history will be kind to him because he was sandwiched in between W and Trump.  

Good to see Reagan that high up there, as he should be. 
Extremely overrated. Gets too much credit for fall of Soviet Union. Trickle down economics, start of runaway debt, turned a blind eye to the aids epidemic, Iran contra fiasco, armed the Iraqis who gassed the Kurds, etc etc. But hey, he spoke well and made us feel good about ourselves.

Extremely overrated. Gets too much credit for fall of Soviet Union. Trickle down economics, start of runaway debt, turned a blind eye to the aids epidemic, Iran contra fiasco, armed the Iraqis who gassed the Kurds, etc etc. But hey, he spoke well and made us feel good about ourselves.
I think you may underrate this. This is a very big deal. Only a handful of Presidents have made the American public feel good about themselves.

Reagan is the reason why Clinton felt the need to say that the era of big government was over.  And Obama hoped to be the "liberal Reagan."  When multiple presidents from the other party are still modeling themselves after you a quarter century after leaving office, I'd say you did well.

History is going to be kind to Obama... like in 50, 100 years people will look very favorable of him. I think he is placed about the right place. He may crack the top 10 overall in the future if many of the ideas that spawned from his terms stay with the people. 

Clinton gets knocked for that whole impeachment thing and rightfully so. I can see him losing ground overtime. 

I can see W moving up because some of he ideas he brought to the table were okay as well. However, he has the whole Iraq/Afghanistan "wars" to deal with which will not help him. I don't think he should be knocked down because of 9/11 either unless some real damning information comes out in the coming years. 

Trump? Knocking on the door of 44th for now, maybe 45th. 

Reagan gets too much credit for somethings and if enough for others. History will look good on him but his name has been bastardized since his passing. Shame really. Reagan would not be elected today as a Republican and people who keep preaching his name as far as Republicans or Trump or others go, it's a shame. Reagan for this generation is a simple name/idea that is nothing like what he really was. 

Despyzer said:
How many presidents served a term filled with peace and prosperity and were never re-elected?
Most of the 19th century Presidents only served 4 years and there was a lot of prosperity and the US wasn't fighting that many wars.

Recently, maybe someone like Gerald Ford?

Always feel badly for Madison in these rankings.  Such a brilliant mind in the study of political theory but didn't really have the chance to do much as president.  The rankings are appropriate, but as somebody who studied his works in depth I always feel like he deserves notoriety.  Sort of like a legacy award akin to Kobe making the all star team his final year. 

I think you may underrate this. This is a very big deal. Only a handful of Presidents have made the American public feel good about themselves.
Eh, Reagan pulled America out of a crisis. So he gets big points for that. But most of its history America has been a very positive country, in fact for most of its history the people have generally been very proud. We've had some moments of doubt - Carter, LBJ, GW Bush - but Trump is the only president to ever, ever bad mouth the US. It's still early so he's not on the list, but he's already unique in the very negative regard.

Still wrong on Wilson you are. 

Yup,  I went Yoda there 

Users who are viewing this thread