What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Watch repair guys (1 Viewer)

Ben & Jerry's

Footballguy
Looking to buy a watch case opener (screw back) for my father-in-law. None of his stuff is high end mainly just something he likes tinkering with. 

I see basically 3 different options, the jaxa wrench, the crab-style with thumbscrew, and the "friction ball".

Which is easiest to use and what other inexpensive tools come in handy ? Are those little adjustable case holders helpful ?

Any advice is appreciated. Cheap and effective is ideal. Thanks.

The proper tool depends on the type of case back you have.  The jaxa wrench type with the adjustable tines is the most common nowadays.  You can DIY a friction ball with a wad of duct tape.  A vise is helpful but not essential.

As a manager of a full service jewelry store--I can tell you that the poster that said that it depends on the case-back of the watches he has is spot on. Some watches have pop-off case backs--some have screw backs--and some have small several screws that need to be unscrewed to be opened.   You might be better off getting an inexpensive starter kit that features several different tools for him. With that being said--I do want to make sure to mention that its not a good idea to open watches in a non-controlled environment.   We do all of our minor watch work on anti-static pads that keep our surfaces as dust free as possible.   Our watchmakers facilities are completely dust free and brass instruments are used--as brass is softer than gold and stainless steel--and will not scratch them.   If somebody wants to play watchmaker at home--my advice is to make sure they limit their experimentation to watches that have minimal monetary and sentimental value. 

https://www.amazon.com/Readaeer-Watchmaker-Repair-Remover-Carrying/dp/B0191DHP9A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487561621&sr=8-2&keywords=watchmakers+kit

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought this thread would be a warning to keep an eye out for unscrupulous plumbers pilfering household valuables.  

Glad to see it's something positve!  And a very interesting hobby that I imagine requires extremely steady hands.

I used this Bodi Repair Kit to successfully swap out three batteries and to replace the SS buckle on my wife's Rolex.  Jeweler wanted minimum $100 to repair the Rolex buckle.  I bought aftermarket part for $10 and did it myself.  Kit has already paid for itself 5x.  

Having said that....  The kit that JV linked to above is much more comprehensive than mine and is only a few bucks more.  I'd go for that one for a gift as the aluminum case makes a nicer presentation than mine.

Users who are viewing this thread