What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why are people dynasty players afraid of Auction drafts, Salary Caps and Contract leagues? (1 Viewer)

I know, I just don't know the right people. But started a new lg and everyone sais no when they find out it's Auction foremost then the cap, Cntrcts really gets em. I guess I'm more frustrated that prob 10 people were asking for that exact lg on this forum, so I made one, contacted em all, and crickets... It's early offseason tho, wanted to get a new startup going tho!

Last edited by a moderator:
Auction Draft Leagues are too much like poker and to do well in such leagues involves a skill set I don't possess.

Salary Cap and Contract Leagues I am sure are a lot of fun, but they are just way more complicated and esoteric for me to put the extra time in.

:shrug: I won't join another league unless it's auction.  

Salary cap and contracts make trading difficult.   It's not being "afraid" of the format but it is a strong preference for active leagues.  Dead money tends to make owners disinterested.

So - auction is a must, but once teams are formed, no cap/salaries. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in a league with all three of those aspects a few years ago. Really enjoyed the time and attention required. The commissioner folded up the league because of work reasons and didn't want to let all the teams down.

The format you're talking about requires way more effort than most are willing to give, I guess. :shrug:   Especially if an owner has multiple leagues. Truthfully, at this point I wouldn't join a league like that again due to my commish and owner circumstances. I would have to shed all my other stuff and give all my time to that one single effort.

As a prior commish of a salary cap, contract cap, off season UFA/RFA bidding with bid matching, franchise tags etc, I found it was a ton of work for the commish and keeping everyone active, especially for the time sensitive off season, was a pain. My advise is to only get involved in leagues like this if you have a VERY strong commish willing to keep on top of everything year around, and all the owners are hardcore. Any league is only as strong as its weakest link and super in depth leagues like these have a potential short term lifespan because of that complexity and attention to detail required by all members.

Thanks guys for all the replies and feedback! I guess I'll just take away the caps and contracts, and still be happy with the lg!

:shrug: I won't join another league unless it's auction.  

Salary cap and contracts make trading difficult.   It's not being "afraid" of the format but it is a strong preference for active leagues.  Dead money tends to make owners disinterested.

So - auction is a must, but once teams are formed, no cap/salaries. 
:goodposting:

my exact feelings on the matter

I have always wanted to do a real money auction, redraft league. With a min-max budget system so the prize pool is at least "x" amount of dollars, with possibly more. Say between $50-$200, with a $1 min bid. Would be a fun mix of strategies for the drafting/budgeting

Users who are viewing this thread