What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can someone explain why the NBA is entertaining? (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Just so predictable, out of the 2-3000 games a season, 7 will have any meaning all year; the finals between GS & Cleveland. No other sport is nearly as predictable, we know who the last 2 will be. I'll watch those games, but most likely nothing else, just dumb.

The GM who was fired from Philly had it right - if you're gonna be bad, be trrrrrible, build off of top draft picks. Why pay someone like Carmeeeelo Anthony and players of similar talent $20MM a season? They aren't going to win you a championship, I wouldn't want Melo for more than like $4-$5MM a season. Everything about the NBA is dumb.

Oh yea, March Madness >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NBA Playoffs

Completely agree. The league basically overthrowing the sixers by forcing colangelo on them was a total joke. They were doing exactly what a team like that should be doing but it embarrassed the league so they put a stop to it.

The games are too long and there are too many of them(should be like 50). And too many teams make the playoffs. All the contenders are basically on cruise control all season while the teams in 45 win purgatory fight for the right to either get swept in the first round or pick 14th in the draft. 

I'll watch starting in the conference finals.  Other than that, I really don't get why anyone cares

I used to love the NBA as a teenager.  But now I struggle with regular season basketball and baseball, for that matter.

Maybe it would be different if I played fantasy sports?  That has to be the appeal to regular season NBA, that or people just love the game.

But I'm with @TLEF316, I pick it up in the conference finals and I really enjoy watching it from that point on.

Agreed. No league has better star power and athletic freaks but the games themselves are not entertaining and pointless until the finals.

I'm in the minority here--but I still like the NBA--even though I admit that the level of competition this season has diminished a bit. As somebody that plays basketball--I just enjoy watching the games--and I personally enjoy the NBA game more than the college game.   I think people forget that the finals were not the only good series last year.   The OKC/GS series was also pretty awesome.   While I hate that KD went to GS and lowered the level of competition this season--I'll still watch premium regular season games and will watch the playoffs when I can.  

Most of you all complaining in here are baseball fans, which makes the boring and too long and too many games comments sooooooooooooooooo much funnier. 

But it had that riveting slam dunk contest this weekend.   :mellow:    Man that was painful to watch.  They gave the guy an 8 and he missed all four of his dunks.  

Many if not most sports fans look back at eras in which there are two great teams dominating a sport as the best years of that sport. The Dodgers vs. the Yankees in the 50s. The Lakers vs. the Celtics in the 60s and again in the 80s. The Cowboys vs. the 49ers in the 90s. There are plenty of other examples. But it's not always a bad thing to have two powerhouses that will likely face off in the end.

I could take it or leave it. Its obvious that "No other sport is nearly as predictable". When a sport only has 12 guys on a roster, the odds of an upset are significantly reduced. 

IMO, the worst part of the sport is the officiating. The consistency (or lack of) is mind boggling.  

Most of you all complaining in here are baseball fans, which makes the boring and too long and too many games comments sooooooooooooooooo much funnier. 
I'm certainly not going to try and convince you baseball is more exciting than the NBA. Baseball is my favorite sport and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. That being said I think it would be hard to convince anybody that the NBA regular season has any meaning compared the the MLB regular season despite the MLB regular season having twice as many games. After football, the MLB regular season has more meaning than any other sport. 

I don't think Cavs-Warriors in the finals is a given this year.  I think the Spurs will give a good run to the Warriors.  And the Cavs are vulnerable with Love hurt.

Just so predictable, out of the 2-3000 games a season, 7 will have any meaning all year; the finals between GS & Cleveland. No other sport is nearly as predictable, we know who the last 2 will be. I'll watch those games, but most likely nothing else, just dumb.

The GM who was fired from Philly had it right - if you're gonna be bad, be trrrrrible, build off of top draft picks. Why pay someone like Carmeeeelo Anthony and players of similar talent $20MM a season? They aren't going to win you a championship, I wouldn't want Melo for more than like $4-$5MM a season. Everything about the NBA is dumb.

The NCAA has been horrible for several years now.

Basketball the sport is great. NBA isn't. 

I find myself watching less and less of professional sports, even the ones I like

Even though it's not worth the expense of doing so anymore, watching an NBA contest at courtlevel changes one's outlook on the game immensely and irretrievably. It's the living embodiment of LotR-type battles - honest-to-god freaks, doing the most graceful and powerful and unbelievable things a body can do. NBA's fo sho a watered product - tho the game's the best it's been since the players became more powerful than the coaches - but i'm diggin my Celts brand o' ball right now. So tired of LeBron i could spit tho, and Steph cashcasual's not far behind so don't even that much care about the playoffs anymore.

I'm certainly not going to try and convince you baseball is more exciting than the NBA. Baseball is my favorite sport and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. That being said I think it would be hard to convince anybody that the NBA regular season has any meaning compared the the MLB regular season despite the MLB regular season having twice as many games. After football, the MLB regular season has more meaning than any other sport. 
Wat.  

There are like 200 games.  It has less meaning then any sport.  And i like baseball

Not sure but they do have at least one idiot who truly believes the earth is flat. That is a staggering level of stupidity.

The NBA Sucks, but it definitely has it's followers. I can't bring myself to watch a game unless betting on it though. Even then it's a struggle. 

I believe Millenials aren't watchng sports
40 year old here - honestly once i cut the cable I have watched less and less sports.  Being a fan of a small market team (sun's) it has been very hard to keep up with the team.  Honestly, I have very little interest in basketball or sports almost in general.  Baseball games take too long, football is hit or miss depending on what I have going on any given weekend and basketball is just an after thought.  Growing up sucks. 

Eta:. I went to an game last week - tickets for a sub par team were 235 per man.  This is the phx suns we are talking about here. I bought rams tickets earlier in the year 250 per ticket.  Honestly, I don't see myself going to many live sport games anytime soon.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The NBA is fun to watch.  The guys are the best athletes in the world when combining size, speed and agility.  I'm also enjoying the development of some of the next tier teams and players.  Teams like Boston, Washington, Toronto, Houston & Utah.  Can they figure out a way to compete with Cleveland and Golden State?  Is there a move they can make to put them over the top?  Plenty of intriguing story lines if you are willing to spend more than 5 minutes watching.

Then there are players like Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid and The Greek Freak who could soon be the next group of superstars and lead their teams to titles in 5 years.  Also the commentators in the NBA are 1,000x's better than any other sport.  Actual personalities that share insight and can laugh at themselves.

The NBA, like every professional sport, has its pros and cons.  People that like basketball but don't like the NBA just seem like grumpy old men droning on about the "good ole days" of basketball...like when no one played defense and the passing and ball movement was half of what it is today (thanks, Pops!).  But maybe I just love basketball.  I referee HS games, March Madness is my favorite sporting event and I find the NBA entertaining.

Because it's smooth?

Though, they're too good for their own good, fouls, walking, cort dimension, height of basker, etc., ad nauseum.

I'm not interested in watching most sports a lot of the time.   Unless its a big game or its a team I follow, I probably ain't watching.  

Eta:. I went to an game last week - tickets for a sub par team were 235 per man.  This is the phx suns we are talking about here. I bought rams tickets earlier in the year 250 per ticket.  Honestly, I don't see myself going to many live sport games anytime soon.  
Were these, like, courtside seats or box seats or something?  

Because it's smooth?

Though, they're too good for their own good, fouls, walking, court dimension, height of basket, etc., ad nauseum.
They could use a bigger court to adjust for the huge players but we know they won't be taking out any courtside seats. They could use less timeouts but we know they won't be cutting out any ad breaks...

They could use a bigger court to adjust for the huge players but we know they won't be taking out any courtside seats. They could use less timeouts but we know they won't be cutting out any ad breaks...
Yeah, I was sort of lamenting the laments.  

I bet you thought Jordan winning all those titles was "boring" too.

Disagree, I think the NBA is better than ever. I love that guy who plays for the Nets. Dammit what's his name, you know, the black guy.

I could take it or leave it. Its obvious that "No other sport is nearly as predictable". When a sport only has 12 guys on a roster, the odds of an upset are significantly reduced. 

IMO, the worst part of the sport is the officiating. The consistency (or lack of) is mind boggling.  
:lmao:

Try calling a 3rd grade girls game and get back with me on this.  If you can't be consistent with a game that moves at the speed of molasses, how do you expect perfect consistency with giants moving at a sprinter's speed?

Sorry, but as a ref, the "consistency" critique is super frustrating.  The players aren't consistent, the coaches aren't consistent, and the play isn't consistent, yet we are supposed to be the only consistent person out there?  No two plays are the same and no two angles are the same, yet you constantly hear "it's the exact same play that happened down there!!"  No, no it's not.  It never is.  Every play is unique and when refs start calling games based on what they called earlier in the game, you start to anticipate and guess and you become wrong more often.

Getting the call right is the most important thing and the NBA refs are the best at it in the world.  No one else will do any better, so what is it you actually want?  Watch the replays in slow motion throughout a game and you'll be amazed at how much they do see and get right.

But it had that riveting slam dunk contest this weekend.   :mellow:    Man that was painful to watch.  They gave the guy an 8 and he missed all four of his dunks.  
The duck contest was good the first couple of years...unless they hang and drop from the rafters there are no more ways to dunk a BB.   The whole All-Star weekend is a horrible product.

Agreed.  With all the 'one and done' players, it's too hard to follow teams and have any sort of player recognition.  Add in all the three-point bombing and late game fouls, and it's not enjoyable.  And then these young players - with whom I'm unfamiliar - go on to the NBA, spending the first couple of years developing their skills.  It's a lose/lose situation for the NCAA and NBA.

Wat.  

There are like 200 games.  It has less meaning then any sport.  And i like baseball
But far less make the playoffs.  So, that makes for some pretty big games down the stretch. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I get up and went to a big college basketball school but college games against rivals in middle of a season is much better than regular season NBA.

March Madness is better than NBA playoffs.

I do love NBA finals though. 

I agree with what many have already said.  The playoffs are really good (I even like the earlier rounds because you can still get some good basketball - especially with the middle seeds in the west). The regular season is almost unwatchable. 

I get up and went to a big college basketball school but college games against rivals in middle of a season is much better than regular season NBA.

Eh, days 1-4 of march madness is probably better/more entertaining.  But with the huge talent gap I'd much rather watch the NBA finals than the March Madness championship game.   

I disagree about MM.  Take away the urgency of a one-and-done scenario and you have mediocer basketball at best more often than not.  Teams come down and pretend to run something for 12 seconds before actually getting into their set.  Offensive rebound and you're pulling your hair out as they pass the ball back out to the circle, rinse repeat.  The shot clock is still too long.  My u12 plays on a 24 with 14 second resets.  No reason these guys shouldn't be able to do the same.

:lmao:

Try calling a 3rd grade girls game and get back with me on this.  If you can't be consistent with a game that moves at the speed of molasses, how do you expect perfect consistency with giants moving at a sprinter's speed?

Sorry, but as a ref, the "consistency" critique is super frustrating.  The players aren't consistent, the coaches aren't consistent, and the play isn't consistent, yet we are supposed to be the only consistent person out there?  No two plays are the same and no two angles are the same, yet you constantly hear "it's the exact same play that happened down there!!"  No, no it's not.  It never is.  Every play is unique and when refs start calling games based on what they called earlier in the game, you start to anticipate and guess and you become wrong more often.

Getting the call right is the most important thing and the NBA refs are the best at it in the world.  No one else will do any better, so what is it you actually want?  Watch the replays in slow motion throughout a game and you'll be amazed at how much they do see and get right.
Please. No officials treat star players so vastly different than the NBA. 

I can buy the NBA finals being better than the NCAA championship game, you just can't take out the first 4 days though. The best sporting event there is IMO. 

Watching the best teams selling out for 7 games is fantastic. Cleveland vs GS will be as good as it gets in sports.

What? :lmao:  Each team plays like 500 ####ing games. Even the players after they lose say welp, we'll just get them tomorrow, or if not the next day, or the day after that, or when our ace rolls around I guess. 

#### baseball

Users who are viewing this thread